PDA

View Full Version : Vince Williams signs 3 year deal

SteelCrazy
08-23-2016, 08:49 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers signed linebacker Vince Williams to a three-year contract that will run through the 2018 season.

Terms of the deal were not released. However, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Tuesday that Williams likely received a sizable raise from the $675,000 base salary he was scheduled to make this year in the final season of his rookie contract.

Williams, 26, played in 16 games last season but did not start any of them. He is still a backup to Lawrence Timmons at an inside linebacker position heading into this season. However, Williams did start 11 games in 2013 as a rookie after being a sixth-round pick out of Florida State.

In 47 career regular-season games, Williams has totaled 85 tackles, a half-sack and two fumble recoveries on defense. On special teams, Williams has totaled 26 tackles and one fumble recovery.

Timmons, 30, is in the final year of five-year extension he signed in 2011. He will count more than $15 million against the salary cap this year, so the signing of Williams may be a safeguard if the Steelers decide not to re-sign Timmons.

Timmons has said he wants to re-sign with the Steelers.

http://m.wptz.com/sports/steelers-lb-williams-lands-threeyear-deal/41336676

phillyesq
08-23-2016, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen the terms of the deal yet, but unless he signed a Robert Golden or Arthur Moats type of contract, I'd imagine that the team is planning to move on from Timmons after this year. Given that the team opted not to extend Timmons and deal with his $15 million cap hit, that isn't terribly surprising.

SteelCrazy
08-23-2016, 08:50 PM
I hope Timmons has an all-pro year

Shoe
08-23-2016, 09:56 PM
I haven't seen the terms of the deal yet, but unless he signed a Robert Golden or Arthur Moats type of contract, I'd imagine that the team is planning to move on from Timmons after this year. Given that the team opted not to extend Timmons and deal with his $15 million cap hit, that isn't terribly surprising.

I don't know the terms either, but I imagine that they are commensurate (hopefully) with the level of player Williams is (i.e. solid run defender, situational, tough guy). If it is that, I'm happy with it because Williams is a tough player and a good football player (with limits). I'm seeing a lot of comments on social media, criticizing the move because it essentially pushes (a $15m) Timmons out the door. Fans are critical too, because they think that the team is saying that Williams is the better player.

Williams is better, when you consider the amount of money you are paying each. At an equal salary, Timmons is probably still the better player (though he is declining). Timmons isn't a $15m player at this point in his career.

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2016, 10:11 PM
This is Vince's 4th NFL season (i.e. entering the prime of his career), while this is Timmons' 10th NFL season (on the back nine).

SteelerOfDeVille
08-23-2016, 11:21 PM
hoping Timmons can also be re-signed also on a ~3-year deal, for considerably less than his last contract.

Gus
08-23-2016, 11:48 PM
They may also be thinking that the loss of range in coverage on D going from Timmons to Williams is significant but more than made up for with Shazier as an ILB partner. And, I hope Timmons stays in the black and gold.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2016, 07:50 AM
Of course, they could have just drafted Myles Jack in round one instead of Artie Burns to address the post-Timmons succession plan.

K Train
08-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Of course, they could have just drafted Myles Jack in round one instead of Artie Burns to address the post-Timmons succession plan.

Thats a lot of linebacker drafting...Vince is a good player, im sure they got him at a medium money medium term deal.

Timmons might be back next year still at a lower price, I would not have liked Myles Jack though. Shazier and Vince are a nice combo even if timmons is nearly done with the steelers

phillyesq
08-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Terms of the deal have been released. He gets a $1.5 million signing bonus and base salaries of $2 million in 2017 and 2018. His base this year remains the same, and his cap hit this year increases by $500k.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-release-contract-details-for-LB-Vince-Williams--46978357

This is a really smart move. The Steelers now have starter-capable inside linebackers for next year if needed. At a minimum, they have secured depth at the position. If Timmons plays well and both sides want a return, Williams salary doesn't preclude that.

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2016, 10:00 AM
The Steelers just added Vince's little brother Karlos (9 total TD's with Buffalo last year) to our practice squad.

RuthlessBurgher
05-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Williams 'humbled' by Steelers' confidence
Posted 36 minutes ago

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Vince Williams is ready to fill the void at inside linebacker.

Vince Williams couldn’t help but notice what happened this offseason, when during free agency the Steelers showed interest in Patriots inside linebacker D’onta Hightower.

“You guys do a great job of putting this stuff everywhere, so obviously you have to notice it,” Williams said to a group of reporters during the team’s OTAs. “Do you pay attention to it? No, because no matter what, you still have to come in here and put your hand in the pile and contribute no matter what position you play, no matter what role you have. You can't let it shake you or faze you.”

What he also noticed, though, was that Hightower wasn’t signed. The Steelers also didn’t draft an inside linebacker in the first few rounds of the draft, someone they could groom to replace Lawrence Timmons, who signed with the Miami Dolphins this offseason as an unrestricted free agent.

And they didn’t do either for a good reason, because they believe in Williams.

“I am humbled,” said Williams. “We had an opportunity to get some linebackers in free agency. We had an opportunity to draft a first-round linebacker. It shows the organization has a lot of confidence in me. It is the first time I have ever felt that way.”

Williams, a sixth-round draft pick in 2013, is accustomed to having to scratch and claw for what he gets. But his hard work and perseverance paid off when he signed a new three-year contract before the start of last season. And now, it’s paying off even more as he appears to be the heir apparent to Timmons at inside linebacker.

“I feel like I am ready,” said Williams. “I feel like I am going to get better and be more ready as it progresses.

“I have some experience. Anybody that plays a multitude of snaps in the NFL is going to be ready to do it again. It’s a different season. Guys are better, more mature now. I am really looking forward to it.”

It won’t be easy to replace Timmons, though. He led the team in 2016 with 114 tackles in the regular season, adding two interceptions, 2.5 sacks, 11 quarterback pressures, five passes defensed and a forced fumble. He also was one of the team’s steadiest players, rarely missing a snap.

“That is a huge role to fill,” said Williams, who had offseason shoulder surgery. “Because of his quiet demeanor I don’t think he got the credit for being the leader he was. He was just a guy that was the definition of consistency. That is really what he is. You lose a great guy like that, it puts a lot of pressure on me and all of the other linebackers, everybody else has to step up and fill that void.”

And Williams plans on doing his part.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Williams-humbled-by-Steelers-confidence/8eb503ad-eb6a-457d-8a44-0b11917bfe71

squidkid
05-25-2017, 03:31 PM
lol.....whatever gets you thru the day, vince