PDA

View Full Version : Golson says he'll be back by late November at latest

SteelCrazy
08-23-2016, 06:02 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Senquez Golson could be back on the field for the Pittsburgh Steelers as early as mid-October, but no later than the end of November, he said.

The 2015 second-round pick out of Ole Miss suffered a Lisfranc injury on the fourth day of the Steelers' training camp practices, Aug. 1. Golson had been playing slot corner with the first-team defense and has since been replaced by Sean Davis in the position.

It was initially reported that Golson would be out three to four months, but the second-year corner said he may return seven weeks out from surgery. He said he's certain he'll play this season.

"For sure by the end of November I'll be full-speed back," Golson said.

Hell be checking in with a doctor every five weeks, he said.

Other players around the league wearing a similarly older shoe model have suffered the same injury, Golson said, though he noted he's not using it as an excuse. He's still not sure exactly how the injury happened, he said, only that his foot buckled beneath him away from a play in practice.

He doesn't plan to watch the practice tape, Golson said.

If Pittsburgh signs cover for the cornerback spot, he said, that's fine by him. Golson remains on the team's 90-man roster and he plans to join any such addition.

Said Golson: "Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to be back this year."

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/08/pittsburgh_steelers_senquez_golson_says.html

The Man of Steel
08-23-2016, 06:18 PM
"Back on the field." Seems like Golson and the field have barely met one another.

Iron City Inc.
08-23-2016, 06:39 PM
If Dr Bradley stated he'd be back by 11/1 it would have some weight. Players almost always say the same thing regarding how quick they will be back.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-23-2016, 08:11 PM
He's only practiced a few times. I'd be surprised if he sees the field this season.

SteelCrazy
08-23-2016, 08:44 PM
He's only practiced a few times. I'd be surprised if he sees the field this season.

100% healthy and I doubt even then he'll see the field this year in a meaningful role.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-23-2016, 11:31 PM
if Keenan Lewis is signed, this could be a really good secondary if/when Golson is healthy.. weakness into a strength, pretty quickly...would be some serious position battles at CB with Lewis, Golson, Burns, Gay... Safeties of Mitchell, Davis, Golden and Shark... I'd be pretty happy with that set of DBs for a season or two

Gus
08-23-2016, 11:43 PM
It's not likely that the Steelers will hold a roster spot for 7+ weeks for Golson and less likely they give him the designated to return IR slot. I suppose if they are hearing very positive reports from doctors come cut time the could keep him and monitor on a week to week basis. At any given moment, they could put him on IR if he's not healing quickly enough or an injury to another player creates a more immediate need for his roster spot. However, odds are heavily leaning toward he's going to IR before the season starts.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2016, 07:46 AM
It's not likely that the Steelers will hold a roster spot for 7+ weeks for Golson and less likely they give him the designated to return IR slot. I suppose if they are hearing very positive reports from doctors come cut time the could keep him and monitor on a week to week basis. At any given moment, they could put him on IR if he's not healing quickly enough or an injury to another player creates a more immediate need for his roster spot. However, odds are heavily leaning toward he's going to IR before the season starts.

There is no more "designated to return" IR slot anymore. You can just bring one guy back from IR at some point each season, and you don't have to designate in advance who that will be.