PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Foster expects 2021 work stoppage over drug policy

buccoray61
08-22-2016, 12:42 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17366384/pittsburgh-steelers-player-rep-nfl-players-save-2021-lockout

squidkid
08-22-2016, 01:03 PM
most guys in the league right now wont be in 5 years.
those guys will take the money and give up the power just like last time.
those players will never 'hit them in the pocket'. the owners have billions, the players 100's of thousands, some have millions.
its a classic union move. defend the handful of sh!tbags that are in violation at the cost of the vast majority that follow the rules and do their jiobs

phillyesq
08-22-2016, 03:45 PM
those players will never 'hit them in the pocket'. the owners have billions, the players 100's of thousands, some have millions.

Foster even alluded to it in the article, but there are a ton of guys living with a mountain of debt who couldn't make it through a work stoppage. I'm sure there are some players who are fiscally responsible, but there are a number of them that live way beyond their means.

Moonie
08-22-2016, 04:44 PM
Foster even alluded to it in the article, but there are a ton of guys living with a mountain of debt who couldn't make it through a work stoppage. I'm sure there are some players who are fiscally responsible, but there are a number of them that live way beyond their means.
A lot of them spend a lot of cash on high quality drugs.

Oviedo
08-22-2016, 05:27 PM
most guys in the league right now wont be in 5 years.
those guys will take the money and give up the power just like last time.
its a classic union move. defend the handful of sh!tbags that are in violation at the cost of the vast majority that follow the rules and do their jiobs

One area we frighteningly agree on

The players union won't want the PR nightmare of defending the right to get high on illegal drugs the rest of society can't access without legal ramifications. If that is the fight they are going in with they will lose again.

Slapstick
08-22-2016, 05:36 PM
The problem isn't getting illegal drugs with no ramifications. The issue is Goodell wanting absolute power. If the players hold out, it will be for an impartial arbiter of discipline....the same reason the Steelers didn't ratify the last CBA.

Starlifter
08-22-2016, 10:03 PM
no doubt there are dirtbags in any group of people - unionized or not. but I'm always puzzled why some think dirtbags don't deserve to have an advocate - even when they've been paying dues for that right.

that being said, I think Foster understands the issue. successful collective bargaining is the reward to the side that understands what leverage it has and exploits it. if the vast majority of the players can't survive a season without a paycheck - then they have no chance of securing improvements. I'm not picking a side in the upcoming fight - just commenting on how the process works.

btw, the group of individuals known as NFL owners has dirtbags as well. In fact I'd say they have a very LARGE proportion of dirtbags. Names like Irsay, Bidwell, Brown, Kronke come to mind...........

If I had to pick a side - I'm with the players. Mike Brown never did anything I was a fan of........

Oviedo
08-23-2016, 08:11 AM
If the players and the NFLPA are going to make the power of the Commissioner their "fall on their sword" issue then they have already lost. The vast majority of the players are never effected by Goodell and his decisions. Do you really think they will drain their bank accounts to make sure he can't be heavy handed with 5% of the players? Not going to happen. This will go the same way as the as the last CBA. Post playing benefits will trump all.

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Post playing benefits will trump all.

As it should be. I know if I was a player, that's what I'd be fighting for. Knowing I'll essentially have an 80 year old's body when I'm in my 40's from playing this game, guaranteed long term medical coverage to take care of those needs should be prioritized above anything else, I would think.

Oviedo
08-23-2016, 12:06 PM
As it should be. I know if I was a player, that's what I'd be fighting for. Knowing I'll essentially have an 80 year old's body when I'm in my 40's from playing this game, guaranteed long term medical coverage to take care of those needs should be prioritized above anything else, I would think.

Exactly. That is why the next CBA will again give the Commissioner the whatever power he wants and the owners want him to have. Players will cave in a minute or future benefits. More important than the emotional Goodell hate-fest

feltdizz
08-23-2016, 02:07 PM
some analyst said the players left a ton of money on the table so they could have easier practices.I wouldnt fight for weed unless I was already busted.