PDA

View Full Version : Keenan Lewis Released

NorthCoast
08-19-2016, 09:14 PM
NFL Network reporting Saints released Lewis. Some on this board might be all over the Steelers to sign him.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Can he play backup QB? ;)

BradshawsHairdresser
08-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Why did they release him?

Ernie
08-19-2016, 09:34 PM
NFL Network reporting Saints released Lewis. Some on this board might be all over the Steelers to sign him.

I didn't want to see him leave to begin with.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 09:59 PM
By Josh Alper
August 19, 2016, 8:28 PM EDT
Keenan Lewis says goodbye to New Orleans

It appears the Saints have decided to part ways with cornerback Keenan Lewis.

In an Instagram post on Friday night, Lewis thanked the fans in New Orleans for an “awesome journey” and wrote that he will “see y’all soon hope y’all still cheer for me.”

The obvious implication of those words is that Lewis will no longer be playing for the Saints. According to multiple reports, Lewis has been released although there has been no official announcement from the team at this point.

Lewis has been with the Saints since 2013 and started all 32 regular season games they played in his first two years with the team. Lewis played just six games last year and has had sports hernia, knee and hip surgeries since last September. He’s been sidelined by further injury issues this summer and it would seem the Saints have tired of waiting for him to get healthy.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 10:01 PM
It would be funny if Keenan Lewis signs with the Steelers and Cortez Allen signs with the Saints.

squidkid
08-19-2016, 10:01 PM
never should have pushed him out the door

BradshawsHairdresser
08-19-2016, 11:06 PM
I'd be concerned about him being healthy enough to play. He only practiced one day this summer, after being on PUP, then hasn't practiced anymore since. He thinks he'll play this season. The Saints must doubt that, or they wouldn't have dumped him.

If healthy, by all means, he'd be an upgrade for the Steelers.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-19-2016, 11:57 PM
never should have pushed him out the door

Why do you say we did?

Ghost
08-20-2016, 07:48 AM
He had a small tear in his hip last year but it appears the big issue is he didn't (doesn't) get along with the Saints D coordinator. If the Steelers think the injury would be OK by the start of the season I'd definitely bring him in on a incentivized contract.

And he wasn't pushed out. He made it quite clear he wanted to play for his hometown team and that what he did.

RobinCole
08-20-2016, 08:30 AM
Played in six games last year, has had three surgeries ( for three different injuries) within the past 12 months, and "further injury issues this summer". Kind of answers the question of why they released him. I doubt he can start the season. It's August 20 and he has practiced one time.

Shoe
08-20-2016, 11:09 AM
It would be funny if Keenan Lewis signs with the Steelers and Cortez Allen signs with the Saints.

I wonder why the brass hasn't rang up Cortez's agent? No one is saying he's a star, but he's still young and probably could be had cheap. Plus he knows the scheme.

He must really suck.

RobinCole
08-20-2016, 12:19 PM
Your last sentence probably nails it. He was benched in October 2014 in favor of Brice McCain. He played in one game last year, went on IR, and was released back in April. Still a free agent so apparently other teams aren't interested either. If we have to call him we're in trouble.

SteelCrazy
08-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Lewis in 2015 had a sports hernia, torn labrum, and a MCL tear limiting him to six games and is dealing with a hip injury now in 2016. He's practiced once this summer. The guy is done.....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Can he play backup QB? ;)

No, unfortunately he can only play center.

Mr.wizard
08-21-2016, 09:37 AM
I wonder why the brass hasn't rang up Cortez's agent? No one is saying he's a star, but he's still young and probably could be had cheap. Plus he knows the scheme.

He must really suck.

Lol, you answered your own question, he does "really suck".

Slapstick
08-21-2016, 09:51 AM
It's possible than neither Cortez nor Keenan will ever be healthy enough to play again...

Captain Lemming
08-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Your last sentence probably nails it. He was benched in October 2014 in favor of Brice McCain. He played in one game last year, went on IR, and was released back in April. Still a free agent so apparently other teams aren't interested either. If we have to call him we're in trouble.

We ARE in trouble. I say call him.

RobinCole
08-21-2016, 11:39 AM
We were in trouble when we released him in April. I don't recall even one fan disagreeing with the release.

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2016, 01:00 PM
By Josh Alper
August 21, 2016, 12:07 PM EDT
Keenan Lewis: I wasn’t one of Dennis Allen’s guys

The Saints have parted ways with cornerback Keenan Lewis, who believes that a long-standing icy relationship with defensive coordinator Dennis Allen is the reason why he’s been dropped from the roster.

In an interview with Josina Anderson of ESPN, Lewis said he has never been one of Allen’s guys and that the root of the issue came before Lewis was even in the NFL.

“I worked out for the Saints,” Lewis said. “He was a defensive backs coach. He told me face-to-face that I wasn’t going to make it. So I always used that as my motivation every time I see him. Like nobody ever told me that I would never have a chance. … So then he comes back, and my only message to him was, ‘man look, seven years later, I’m still standing. I’m standing strong. I’m playing at the highest level. I’m starting and I’m competing at the top of the level. So, anything is possible.’ He took it the wrong way. I think he took it as me being arrogant. I’m just [telling him] never doubt a man on what God has planned for them … Anybody can accomplish anything if you give them a try. Never doubt a man before giving him a try. I don’t know if he took that the wrong way.”

Lewis said the relationship with Allen was the “only thing I can see that made them pull the trigger.” Saints coach Sean Payton pointed in another direction, however.

Payton said Saturday, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune, that word of an issue between Lewis and Allen was news to him and that Lewis’ injuries were the reason the team moved on. Lewis missed 10 games last season and has practiced once this summer while dealing with an adductor injury, leaving Payton to say “it seems like a long time” since they’ve been able to count on the corner.

Lewis says he wanted to be 100 percent before returning to the field and believes he will be in two weeks, at which point he’ll try to “show [the Saints] that they made a mistake” by releasing him.

Ernie
08-22-2016, 05:49 AM
I'd be calling K. Lewis. I know guys are going to bad mouth this move... just like they did Willie Gay, James Harrison... etc..
but those guys seemed to have worked out just fine. Maybe Lewis can give us 2-3 good years..

Mr.wizard
08-22-2016, 06:43 AM
I say we get him

feltdizz
08-22-2016, 08:21 AM
I'd be calling K. Lewis. I know guys are going to bad mouth this move... just like they did Willie Gay, James Harrison... etc..
but those guys seemed to have worked out just fine. Maybe Lewis can give us 2-3 good years..

i see no reason not to...

he knows the scheme already. Kick the tires, see if he can go.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2016, 01:58 PM
IF he were healthy (big IF)...and able to run like he did a couple of years back...it could be a very beneficial move to sign him. Steelers shouldn't have to spend much to get him, since he already got paid millions for 2016 by the Saints (guaranteed contract). IF he's healthy and back to form, and the Steelers decide to sign him, it COULD turn a major weakness into a strength; the Steelers could line up Lewis and Cockrell on the outside, and have Gay cover the slot.

I'm not holding my breath about this...I don't think the Steelers would sign him unless they are convinced that he will be ready to go before long (which I think is smart). Some other team is apt to grab him in the meantime.

squidkid
08-22-2016, 02:16 PM
IF he were healthy (big IF)...and able to run like he did a couple of years back...it could be a very beneficial move to sign him. Steelers shouldn't have to spend much to get him, since he already got paid millions for 2016 by the Saints (guaranteed contract). IF he's healthy and back to form, and the Steelers decide to sign him, it COULD turn a major weakness into a strength; the Steelers could line up Lewis and Cockrell on the outside, and have Gay cover the slot.

I'm not holding my breath about this...I don't think the Steelers would sign him unless they are convinced that he will be ready to go before long (which I think is smart). Some other team is apt to grab him in the meantime.

they shoved him out the door healthy and in his prime. they arent going to bring him back all broke down and old

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2016, 02:48 PM
they shoved him out the door healthy and in his prime. they arent going to bring him back all broke down and old

You might be right. It was puzzling, before he left the Steelers, that they didn't even make him an offer. Maybe he's a bad locker room guy.

Or maybe they thought that Cortez Allen was a better option. We know how that experiment turned out.

squidkid
08-22-2016, 03:12 PM
You might be right. It was puzzling, before he left the Steelers, that they didn't even make him an offer. Maybe he's a bad locker room guy.

Or maybe they thought that Cortez Allen was a better option. We know how that experiment turned out.

numerous reports stated tomlin didnt like him. numerous reports stated he wanted to go home(no) to play.
at the time, our db situation sucked. well, that could mean the last 10 years...lol
seems odd that we didnt even make an offer to the best young cb we had then seeing that he wasnt paid huge money in NO.
just another secondary debacle...oh well.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2016, 03:17 PM
numerous reports stated tomlin didnt like him.

I don't remember ever reading that. If that's true, then you're right, the chances of him coming back to the Steelers are probably nil.

phillyesq
08-22-2016, 03:30 PM
I don't remember ever reading that. If that's true, then you're right, the chances of him coming back to the Steelers are probably nil.

There was the well publicized benching after the Denver pre-season game.

I do believe that I read somewhere that the Steelers did not offer him a contract, but I got the sense it was because they didn't think they could afford him. They were right up on the cap at that point. Then they made the Cortez Allen - overreaction after Lewis left.

phillyesq
08-22-2016, 03:42 PM

If there is a place where the Steelers will bring guys back, it is at corner. Willie Gay, Bryant McFadden and even back to Willie Williams.

Oviedo
08-22-2016, 05:25 PM
numerous reports stated tomlin didnt like him. numerous reports stated he wanted to go home(no) to play.
at the time, our db situation sucked. well, that could mean the last 10 years...lol
seems odd that we didnt even make an offer to the best young cb we had then seeing that he wasnt paid huge money in NO.
just another secondary debacle...oh well.

Can you share any of those "numerous reports." That would be the ones you don't write.

phillyesq
08-23-2016, 09:05 AM
I've seen some reports indicating that Lewis is coming in for a visit. I hope that he's healthy. A secondary of Lewis/Gay/Cockrell to open the season, with Burns and Grant as the #4 and 5 corners, should be decent.

It would also allow the Steelers to use Gay in the slot in the nickel, at least initially, instead of trusting that role entirely to Sean Davis.

feltdizz
08-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Can you share any of those "numerous reports." That would be the ones you don't write.

lmao... if its the ones he doesnt write that would be zilch, zero, none.

more than likely he is talking about the reports right after the Denver preseason game.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Looks as though the Steelers will have Lewis in for a visit today.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/keenan-lewis-writes-hes-visiting-steelers-today/

Oviedo
08-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Looks as though the Steelers will have Lewis in for a visit today.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/keenan-lewis-writes-hes-visiting-steelers-today/

I'm glad they are doing due diligence

I saw Cromartie signed with the Ravens

fordfixer
08-23-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm ok with this

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm glad they are doing due diligence

I saw Cromartie signed with the Ravens

Actually, Cromartie signed with Baltimore's former team, the Colts.

Oviedo
08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
Actually, Cromartie signed with Baltimore's former team, the Colts.

Thanks...must have misheard on the radio driving into work

Curious the Steelers seemed to have no interest

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks...must have misheard on the radio driving into work

Curious the Steelers seemed to have no interest

Cromartie couldn't tackle your grandmother, so he would be useless as a "tackle the catch" CB.

phillyesq
08-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Cromartie couldn't tackle your grandmother, so he would be useless as a "tackle the catch" CB.

Exactly. He doesn't tackle at all - a guy like that would never work in Pittsburgh.

I've heard that 6 other teams have interest in Lewis, but the fact that he's coming to Pittsburgh first makes me somewhat optimistic. If he gets through the physical, I'd like to see them offer him some sort of incentive laden deal, with incentives based on health/playing time.

RuthlessBurgher
08-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Report: Steelers concerned about Keenan Lewis’ hip injury
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 25, 2016, 8:37 AM EDT

On the surface, a Keenan Lewis reunion in Pittsburgh makes sense.

The former Steelers cornerback visited with the team this week after being cut by the Saints, but a deal doesn’t seem imminent.

According to Gery Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers “did not like what they saw” in regards to Lewis’ hip injury, which could delay or derail his signing.

Lewis missed 10 games last season and didn’t practice much this offseason with the Saints, and if the hip problem is troubling the team which should know his medical file well, it might not be a good sign for his immediate future.

Other teams are reportedly interested, and it will be worth watching to see if they have the same medical concerns, or whether a positional need could override that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/25/report-steelers-concerned-about-keenan-lewis-hip-injury/

RuthlessBurgher
08-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Lack of discretion on medical information could hurt Steelers
Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2016, 10:04 AM EDT

For the second time in less than a year, the Steelers have been linked to leaking negative information about the health of a player. Some who work for other teams are wondering whether this will make players think twice for trusting the Steelers with their medical data.

In June, a report emerged that cornerback Brandon Boykin has a career-threatening hip injury. Now, after free-agent cornerback Keenan Lewis visited the team about a potential return, a report has emerged that the Steelers are concerned about his hip.

Whatever the objective in leaking such information (perhaps the team wants the fans to understand why players are being signed), such information can hurt a player. Literally.

“The people that play this game want to know if someone is injured,” one league source said. “If they are true competitors they are going to try and exploit that injury.”

It’s a good point, and if this dynamic suggests a trend, players may want to think twice about letting the Steelers have access to information about their overall health.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/25/lack-of-discretion-on-medical-information-could-hurt-steelers/

squidkid
08-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Lack of discretion on medical information could hurt Steelers
Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2016, 10:04 AM EDT

For the second time in less than a year, the Steelers have been linked to leaking negative information about the health of a player. Some who work for other teams are wondering whether this will make players think twice for trusting the Steelers with their medical data.

In June, a report emerged that cornerback Brandon Boykin has a career-threatening hip injury. Now, after free-agent cornerback Keenan Lewis visited the team about a potential return, a report has emerged that the Steelers are concerned about his hip.

Whatever the objective in leaking such information (perhaps the team wants the fans to understand why players are being signed), such information can hurt a player. Literally.

“The people that play this game want to know if someone is injured,” one league source said. “If they are true competitors they are going to try and exploit that injury.”

It’s a good point, and if this dynamic suggests a trend, players may want to think twice about letting the Steelers have access to information about their overall health.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/25/lack-of-discretion-on-medical-information-could-hurt-steelers/

classy move

Slapstick
08-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Wait a minute....Keenan Lewis had a hip injury?

Who knew?

Why was Lewis a free agent, again?

Captain Lemming
08-25-2016, 05:03 PM

Who knew?

Its because the NO DC hates him Slappy, dont you read what Lewis said?
Its not like the Saints THEMSELVES said they released him because of his health. :)

SteelerOfDeVille
08-25-2016, 05:05 PM

Who knew?

only because the coach didn't like him. (source: keenan lewis)

SteelerOfDeVille
08-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Its because the NO DC hates him Slappy, dont you read what Lewis said?
Its not like the Saints THEMSELVES said they released him because of his health. :)
drat... you type faster than i do...

Oviedo
08-25-2016, 05:21 PM
I thought it was all Tomlin's fault because Tomlin didn't like him

SteelerOfDeVille
08-25-2016, 06:08 PM
I thought it was all Tomlin's fault because Tomlin didn't like him
and that news spread to NOLA

Slapstick
08-25-2016, 06:47 PM
I think that these "leaks" are perhaps a concern, but I think that divulging that they were concerned about his known hip injury is hardly newsworthy...

Did it even hurt Boykin? IIRC, he was unsigned for weeks before we heard about any "leak"...

feltdizz
08-25-2016, 07:46 PM
I think that these "leaks" are perhaps a concern, but I think that divulging that they were concerned about his known hip injury is hardly newsworthy...

Did it even hurt Boykin? IIRC, he was unsigned for weeks before we heard about any "leak"...

everyone in the NFL knows about these injuries...