PDA

View Full Version : Le’Veon Bell has suspension reduced to three games

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Le’Veon Bell has suspension reduced to three games

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 19, 2016, 2:51 PM EDT

Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell will start the season on suspension, but on a shorter suspension than initially expected.

Bell will be suspended for three games, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. He was reported to be facing a four-game suspension for missing drug tests.

It’s the second year in a row that Bell has started the season on suspension, and the second year in a row he has had his suspension reduced on appeal. Last year Bell was initially suspended for the first three games of the season but had that reduced to two games.

Bell will now miss Week One at Washington, Week Two against the Bengals and Week Three at Philadelphia before returning for Week Four against the Chiefs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/19/leveon-bell-has-suspension-reduced-to-three-games/

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 03:04 PM
Sources: Le'Veon Bell's suspension will be reduced to 3 games

2:55 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Pittsburgh Steelers star running back Le'Veon Bell's suspension for missing league-mandated drug tests will be reduced from four games to three games, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Bell, who practiced throughout training camp coming off reconstructive knee surgery, faced a cloud of NFL suspension for the second consecutive year. He missed two games last year because of a DUI in the Pittsburgh area for possession of marijuana.

Bell declined comment on the appeal process during training camp, but he said Tuesday he appreciated the support from teammates who took the wait-and-see approach. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley, for example, called Bell an "energy giver" who endeared himself to the team quickly.

There was a sense of optimism from the Steelers during training camp, with one team source saying Bell's story for missing tests was much better than him changing his cell phone number, a popular rumor that circulated online.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reported on July 22 that Bell faced up to four games missed.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Bell's looming appeal hadn't affected his game-planning. Running back DeAngelo Williams -- who last season rushed for 907 yards and 11 touchdowns in Bell's absence -- is set to miss his second consecutive preseason game. Third-stringer Fitz Toussaint is expected to take the first-team reps.

Regardless of the suspension, the Steelers knew they would get one of the game's best running backs for much of the season. Since 2013, Bell has averaged 119 yards from scrimmage per game, the NFL's best among running backs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17347151/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-suspension-reduced-3-games

squidkid
08-19-2016, 03:05 PM
what a POS

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 03:07 PM
Le'Veon Bell's suspension reduced to three games

By Around the NFL staff NFL.com
Published: Aug. 19, 2016 at 02:55 p.m.

For the second year in a row, the appeals process has worked in Le'Veon Bell's favor.

The Steelers running back is having his suspension reduced to three games, NFL Media's Mike Garafolo reported, per a source informed of the agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA. Bell was facing a four-game suspension for missing several drug tests.

As part of a settlement between the two parties, Bell will remain in his current stage of the substance-abuse program, Garafolo added.

Last season, Bell had a three-game suspension for violating the league's policy on substances of abuse reduced to two games. He was arrested back in 2014 for possession of marijuana and a DUI.

Around the NFL will have more on this story shortly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000687567/article/leveon-bells-suspension-reduced-to-three-games

feltdizz
08-19-2016, 03:11 PM
another year, another suspension.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Le'Veon Bell Suspension Reportedly Reduced to 3 Games: Latest Comments, Reaction

By Joseph Zucker , Featured Columnist Aug 19, 2016

For the second year in a row, the Pittsburgh Steelers will be without their starting running back for the start of the regular season, though it won't be for as long as initially expected.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Bell's suspension will be reduced to three games by the NFL. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo noted the reduction was the result of a settlement between the league and players association.

ESPN.com's Dan Graziano reported on July 22 that Bell missed a drug test, which effectively counts the same as a failed drug test in the NFL's substance abuse policy. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport corroborated the report, noting Bell didn't appear for multiple tests.

Following his arrest in August 2014 on charges of marijuana possession and DUI, the NFL initially suspended Bell for the first three games of the 2015 campaign but later reduced the punishment to two games.

The 24-year-old appeared in six games before suffering a season-ending torn MCL in November. He ran for 556 yards and three touchdowns while also catching 24 passes for 136 yards.

Bell's suspension adds to what has been a rough offseason for Pittsburgh. Wideout Martavis Bryant will be out for at least a year for a violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. The Steelers also released 2012 second-rounder Mike Adams after he failed a physical.

Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman thought Bell's and Bryant's suspensions in particular reflected poorly on the organization as a whole:

The Steelers have long been one of the best organizations to both cover and watch. The team is run by incredibly smart people, both in the front office, on the coaching staff and in the public relations department. They are often honest and forthright. The Steelers are one of only a handful of organizations that has never lied to me or even exaggerated anything. The team is the gold standard in sports.

Still, this is troubling as hell. Something has gone wrong inside that locker room. Maybe that's not a fair statement. It's two guys on a team of many, after all. But it's two offensive stars, in trouble multiple times, who didn't seem to either get, or care, about the message they were receiving from the Steelers coaches, players and front office trying to change their behavior.

From a more practical perspective, the Steelers are now down two of their best playmakers when they kick off the new year.

Bell will be back after three games, but that's still a sizeable chunk of the season. In what is likely to be a tight AFC North race, Bell's suspension could have serious ramifications.

Two factors could help Pittsburgh while Bell is out.

The schedule doesn't pit the Steelers against a murderer's row of great run defense teams. Below is a look at where their first three opponents ranked in rushing yards, touchdowns and run-defense DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average), per Football Outsiders:

Pittsburgh Steelers—First Three Opponents

1 Washington Redskins
Rush Yds. Allowed 122.6 (26th)
YPC Allowed 4.8 (31st)
Rush TD Allowed 10 (T10th)
Run-Defense DVOA -5.5% (22nd)

2 Cincinnati Bengals
Rush Yds. Allowed 92.3 (7th)
YPC Allowed 4.3 (22nd)
Rush TD Allowed 8 (T6th)
Run-Defense DVOA -17.2% (8th)

3 Philadelphia Eagles
Rush Yds. Allowed 134.6 (32nd)
YPC Allowed 4.5 (28th)
Rush TD Allowed 10 (T10th)
Run-Defense DVOA -0.4% (28th)

Source: ESPN.com, Football Outsiders

DeAngelo Williams is also coming off a resurgent 2015. His 907 rushing yards were his highest since 2009, and he led the league with 11 rushing touchdowns.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Steelers offense gained more yards and scored more points with Williams rather than Bell in the backfield:

The Steelers averaged 32 points per game in 10 games with Williams and without Bell last season. They averaged 17.3 points per game in six games with both Bell and Williams in 2015.

With Williams on the field and Bell off the field for 642 snaps last season, Pittsburgh averaged 6.8 yards per play. They averaged 5.4 yards per play in 273 snaps with Bell on the field and Williams off the field.

Age will be a concern for Williams, though, as he's entering his age-33 season. The presence of Jonathan Stewart helped Williams manage his workload with the Carolina Panthers, but it's fair to question if he can replicate last year's success given the wear and tear on his body over the years.

A lot of pressure will be placed on the passing game, which should be fine as long as Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown stay healthy. Markus Wheaton's continued progression and Ladarius Green's will ease some of the burden on Brown, too.

Although the Bell's suspension isn't a positive development for Pittsburgh, the team likely prepared for the announcement well in advance. And the Steelers showed last year they can rebound without the services of their Pro Bowl running back.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2653657-leveon-bell-suspension-reportedly-reduced-to-3-games-latest-comments-reaction

Moonie
08-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Bell appears to have lied several times here about what happened. Time and performance fades all transgressions to a large degree, but that may not sit well with the Steelers and fans for some time.

The odds on all this happening again are high in my opinion.

squidkid
08-19-2016, 03:38 PM
well, next yeasrs cap situation just got better
looks like rb will be high on our draft. no way should the steelers offer him any decent money this off season

MCHammer
08-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Of course, we'd rather have him playing but the silver lining here is that's one less opportunity for the Bengals to injure him.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Bell appears to have liedseveral times here about what happened. Time and performance fades alltransgressions to a large degree, but that may not sit well with the Steelersand fans for some time.

The odds on all this happening again are HIGH in my opinion.

well, next yeasrs cap situation just got better
looks like rb will be HIGH on our draft. no way should the steelers offer him any decent money this off season

Obvious emphasis on the HIGH in both of your statements.

SteelBucks
08-19-2016, 04:33 PM
This is getting old and annoying.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Of course, we'd rather have him playing but the silver lining here is that's one less opportunity for the Bengals to injure him.

Burfict is also suspended for that game.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Le’Veon Bell suspension reduced via settlement between league and union
Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2016, 3:27 PM EDT

Two years ago, the NFL and NFL Players Association agreed that appeals under the substance-abuse policy would be resolved by neutral arbitration. That agreement has set the stage for plenty of individual agreements between league and union to be reached.

PFT has confirmed that the three-game suspension imposed on Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell was the result of a negotiation between the NFL and NFLPA, which came before a ruling was issued on the all-or-nothing possibility of a four-game suspension for allegedly missing a drug test or, per a report from the league’s in-house media conglomerate, multiple missed drug tests.

It’s the kind of deal that was much harder to strike when the league office both made the disciplinary decision and handled the appeal. It’s much easier to strike with real uncertainty regarding the resolution of the appeal process.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that Bell will remaining in his current posture under the substance-abuse program, which means that his next violation (if there is one) will trigger a four-game suspension, not a 10-game suspension.

Based on precedent from Von Miller’s case in 2013, Bell won’t be responsible for paying back bonus money unless the deal specifically mentions that he’ll be returning 3/17ths of the signing bonus allocation applicable to 2016 (i.e., $60,741).

The suspension means that the Steelers will be required to surrender 15 percent of the money lost by Bell and receiver Martavis Bryant in 2016, up to $150,000. With Bryant due to make $600,000 this year (he’ll lose all of it) and Bell now slated to earn $966,900 (he’ll lose $170,629), 15 percent of the combined lost salary equates to $115,594.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/19/leveon-bell-suspension-reduced-via-settlement-between-league-and-union/

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Kevin Colbert: We support Le’Veon Bell, but he’s put team in unfortunate situation
Posted by Josh Alper on August 19, 2016, 3:30 PM EDT

Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell had his season-opening suspension reduced from four games to three on Friday as a result of a settlement between the NFL and NFLPA, which means he’ll be available to the Steelers a week earlier than expected.

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert released a statement on Bell’s suspension on Friday afternoon that didn’t spend any time celebrating the news that Bell will be back with the team for their fourth game.

“We are disappointed Le’Veon Bell has been suspended three games to start the 2016 season,” Colbert said. “We will continue to support Le’Veon, but we acknowledge this mistake has put the team in an unfortunate position. We will continue to work with Le’Veon to help him eliminate distractions in his life so he can reach his full potential as a member of our community as well as a player for the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

Bell is entering the final year of his rookie deal and the Steelers have expressed interest in an extension, although team president Art Rooney II said that he wasn’t sure it would fit this year. Eliminating the “distractions” that have led to two suspensions in as many years would likely be a step toward convincing the Steelers to move forward once this season comes to an end.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/19/kevin-colbert-we-support-leveon-bell-but-hes-put-team-in-unfortunate-situation/

BradshawsHairdresser
08-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Bell appears to have lied several times here about what happened. Time and performance fades all transgressions to a large degree, but that may not sit well with the Steelers and fans for some time.

The odds on all this happening again are high in my opinion.

If he doesn't own up to his problem and get help, it's almost a certainty.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Le’Veon Bell says three missed drug tests were “on me”

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 19, 2016, 5:18 PM EDT

Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell said his three-game suspension was his fault, and that he was done talking about the situation.

Bell just posted a 61-second video on Twitter about his three-game suspension, saying “This is the last time I'll speak about it.”

He apologized to Steelers fans for the missed time, saying he “never purposely missed any drug tests, I never failed any drug tests, and I haven’t smoked since December 2014. I want you to understand that.”

Bell explained that after having surgery in November, he was unable to get to the team facility for random tests in December and January. He said he slept through a test in April on a Saturday morning “at 5:37.”

“I was sleeping and that’s on me,” he said.

Bell also promised: “You will get a better person and a better player out of this.”

As part of the negotiation between the league and the NFLPA, he was able to stay at the same level of the league’s substance abuse program, which means another missed test or failed test would result in a four-game ban rather than a 10-game suspension.

But if he’s a man of his word, that shouldn’t be a problem.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/19/leveon-bell-says-three-missed-drug-tests-were-on-me/

squidkid
08-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Le’Veon Bell says three missed drug tests were “on me”

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 19, 2016, 5:18 PM EDT

Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell said his three-game suspension was his fault, and that he was done talking about the situation.

Bell just posted a 61-second video on Twitter about his three-game suspension, saying “This is the last time I'll speak about it.”

He apologized to Steelers fans for the missed time, saying he “never purposely missed any drug tests, I never failed any drug tests, and I haven’t smoked since December 2014. I want you to understand that.”

Bell explained that after having surgery in November, he was unable to get to the team facility for random tests in December and January. He said he slept through a test in April on a Saturday morning “at 5:37.”

“I was sleeping and that’s on me,” he said.

Bell also promised: “You will get a better person and a better player out of this.”

As part of the negotiation between the league and the NFLPA, he was able to stay at the same level of the league’s substance abuse program, which means another missed test or failed test would result in a four-game ban rather than a 10-game suspension.

But if he’s a man of his word, that shouldn’t be a problem.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/19/leveon-bell-says-three-missed-drug-tests-were-on-me/

what a dumbf@ck

do any of you believe this crap he is spewing?
so for 2 months after surgery he was in traction and couldnt move?
no one was able to pick him up and give him a ride? players, coaches FO? really?
i thought when he got busted with blount he said he was sorry and was gonna be a better player and person.

"its on me"... no sh!t bell. way to man up and take the blame. do you think that makes us all feel better because you admitted it was your fault?
if any of you dont realize that bell was smoking his ass off the whole time he was hurt and recovering, than you are just the fool bell is preaching to.

HE DIDNT SHOW UP BECAUSE HE WAS DIRTY

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2016, 09:35 PM
General question...why does the NFL care if a player who is on injured reserve smokes weed or not?

BradshawsHairdresser
08-19-2016, 11:09 PM
General question...why does the NFL care if a player who is on injured reserve smokes weed or not?

Probably the same reason they care if a player who is on an active roster smokes weed or not.

Moonie
08-19-2016, 11:39 PM
I think the NFL's problem is they know this policy is idiotic and detrimental to the game, but there is no way to get rid of it without facing political wrath from certain types/groups.

RobinCole
08-20-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm not at all sure the NFL knows or thinks that its policy is idiotic and detrimental to the game. In any case, it's still a federal crime and the feds recently opted to keep it that way. That might be an obstacle to any change of policy by the NFL.

Slapstick
08-20-2016, 01:53 PM
I think most of the Feds also think that it's ridiculous.

RuthlessBurgher
08-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Speaking of running backs suspended for substance abuse, the Bills just cut Vince Williams' little brother Karlos today. He was an impressive short yardage and goalline back as a rookie, but in addition to his drug suspension, he also got fat this season and blamed it on sympathy weight due to a pregnant wife.

Moonie
08-20-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm not at all sure the NFL knows or thinks that its policy is idiotic and detrimental to the game. In any case, it's still a federal crime and the feds recently opted to keep it that way. That might be an obstacle to any change of policy by the NFL.

I'm entirely sure they do think its idiotic, and that they KNOW its detrimental to the game - the Bell and Bryant suspensions are conclusive proof that the policy is detrimental to the game.

Federal law on marijuana is absolutely no obstacle whatsoever to the NFL changing its policy. I can't imagine your basis for saying such a silly thing.

The only thing stopping them is bad press from uptight sportswriters. Which is apparently and sadly enough for now.

RuthlessBurgher
08-20-2016, 11:14 PM
In the mean time, though, keep doling out narcotic pain killers from Pez dispensers in order to get guys on the field.

It's not like they are extremely addictive and kill your liver or anything.

RobinCole
08-21-2016, 07:34 AM
Moonie: If the feds think the policy is idiotic, why don't they change it? Your suggestion that they're afraid of some uptight sportswriters is absurd. The White House could put out the word and it would change. But they don't do it. Maybe you should write to the president.

Even the states that have legalized marijuana admit that their state law can't supersede federal law. But you're saying that the NFL can? Really? So you're saying that despite it being a federal crime the NFL can say "smoke all the pot you want"? Where did you get these silly ideas?

Mr.wizard
08-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Moonie: If the feds think the policy is idiotic, why don't they change it? Your suggestion that they're afraid of some uptight sportswriters is absurd. The White House could put out the word and it would change. But they don't do it. Maybe you should write to the president.

Even the states that have legalized marijuana admit that their state law can't supersede federal law. But you're saying that the NFL can? Really? So you're saying that despite it being a federal crime the NFL can say "smoke all the pot you want"? Where did you get these silly ideas?

The NFL doesn't have to say "smoke all the pot you want", all they have to do is not police it.

RobinCole
08-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Not policing it is the same as saying "go to it". And if the player is then caught by the real police and convicted, as happened with Bell and Blount, what then? The league ignores it? That would twist their whole player conduct policy into a pretzel.

Look, I'm not saying the current laws of the federal government (and most states) are appropriate, wise or unwise. I'm just saying it's still a federal crime and also a crime in most states. It would be quite awkward to pretend otherwise.

Mr.wizard
08-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Not policing it is the same as saying "go to it". And if the player is then caught by the real police and convicted, as happened with Bell and Blount, what then? The league ignores it? That would twist their whole player conduct policy into a pretzel.

Look, I'm not saying the current laws of the federal government (and most states) are appropriate, wise or unwise. I'm just saying it's still a federal crime and also a crime in most states. It would be quite awkward to pretend otherwise.

It's not the same, the NFL is not the police it is not required by law to drug test, that is simply a policy that the NFL has. The NFL could drop that policy anytime they wanted to and would still be operating within the law, even if a player was arrested by the police the NFL is not required to do anything. The only reason they have the policy is because they want a public stance against illegal drugs, simply for the benefit of their sponsors, it's solely for PR.

RobinCole
08-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Actually, drug testing when done by the NFL is no more a policing activity than it is when it is done by countless businesses including airlines, railroads, cab and bus companies, hospitals, group medical practices, construction companies, or an accounting firm. None of those companies can throw you in jail. They CAN discipline you for violating their policies.

You say the NFL wants a public stance against illegal drugs. Yes. The key word there is "illegal". If not for that word, I wouldn't even be in the discussion. And yes, it may be because their sponsors demand it. Well, I guess the people who pay them billions have a say in the matter. No surprise there.

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2016, 12:51 PM
If someone is responsible for transporting you somewhere by plane, train, bus, car, or boat without crashing and killing their passengers, it makes sense to test them to make sure they are not drunk or high while doing their jobs. Same goes with a doctor about to perform surgery on you, people responsible for erecting buildings that must pass safety codes, and people handling your money with putting a pesky decimal point in the wrong place. None of those people should be drunk or high...testing makes complete sense in each of these cases.

In the case of football players, pain management is a huge issue. They can take narcotic pain meds, which are legal when prescribed by team physicians, or they can self medicate with alcohol to take the edge off, which is also legal. Both of those can be highly addictive and long term use of either can damage your liver and other vital organs. Marijuana is another means of alleviating pain without many of those long term negative effects, but the NFL does not appear interested in hearing any of that.

And this isn't coming from a hippy who spends all his time at Phish or Dead shows. I don't drink at all and never smoked anything even once (neither tobacco nor marijuana). I think the legalization of marijuana makes sense (tax dollars gained could benefit all of us instead of your local pot dealer, and the decriminalization of it would ease up our overcrowded prisons a great deal), even though I personally would never touch the stuff myself even if it were legal.

Moonie
08-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Moonie: If the feds think the policy is idiotic, why don't they change it?

I never said the feds thought it was idiotic. I said I think the NFL does.

Your suggestion that they're afraid of some uptight sportswriters is absurd. The White House could put out the word and it would change. But they don't do it. Maybe you should write to the president.

See above. You seems to be completely misunderstanding what I posted.

I never said or suggested that the NFL can supersede federal law. I said it could decide to quit testing athletes for marijuana, and decide to quit suspending them for using it. You're inability to understand the massive difference between the two assertions is just all around weird. I'll repeat and expound on it, in the hopes it sinks in this time - Federal law on marijuana is absolutely no obstacle whatsoever to the NFL changing its policy of testing and suspending players for marijuana use. NONE. Again, your failure to grasp that simple fact is just WEIRD.

By the way, despite the fact that you have seem to have no comprehension of what I said at all, AND at the huge risk of sending you down an another imaginary rabbit hole on this, the NFL could tell it's players to "smoke all the pot you want" and there is nothing the federal government could do to them. First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I am not saying I expect this to happen, just disagreeing with your strange understanding of the US government works.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Starkey: Will Steelers' 'Lucky Le'Veon' Ever Get It?

By Joe Starkey | Monday, Aug. 22, 2016, 2:03 p.m.

Lucky Le'Veon Bell keeps stepping into piles of you-know-what and stepping out with barely a stain on his shoes.

Two years ago, the Steelers' wildly talented running back was lucky he didn't hurt anyone while driving high on McKnight Road the day of a team road trip, lucky too that his suspension for the misadventure was reduced by a game (from three to two).

Four days ago, Bell saw his latest suspension cut by a game, from four to three, and was kept in Stage 2 of the NFL's substance-abuse program instead of advancing to Stage 3, which one might have reasonably expected.

Do you realize the significance of that?

It means any future failed or missed test (same thing) could only result in another four-game suspension, not a 10-game, Stage 3 suspension. The NFLPA gained that victory for Bell.

If you're Lucky Le'Veon at that point, having received yet another reprieve, you should have felt incredibly grateful. Besides the suspension reduction, you finally had a clean record, having just completed your 15-month probation program for the 2014 marijuana arrest. Your best move would have been to humbly move on. The less said the better.

At most, your advisors (do you have any?) might have compelled you to release a heartfelt message. Something like this: “I apologize to my coaches, fans and teammates. I missed my tests. Then I lied and misled people about it. You have every right to doubt my word moving forward. All I can say for now is I am sincerely sorry for my actions.”

Instead, Bell went to social media and posted a video — since deleted — that came off as alternately defiant and contrite. In it, he incredibly copped to smoking dope in December 2014, which was four months after his arrest for marijuana possession and DUI.

Come on, man. Shut it down already. Stay off Twitter. Kill the Instagram account.

Bell begins his video by saying, “I obviously want to clear some things up” and follows with a statement that could generously be described as misleading: “I've never failed any drug tests.”

Bell has to know that the collectively bargained CBA says a missed test equals a failed test. As such, he failed multiple tests. Period.

He tried to take responsibility for the three missed/failed tests — “I can't sit here and blame anybody else” — but couldn't resist adding details such as the NFL wanted to test him in December and January after he underwent knee surgery in November. As if that was somehow unreasonable.

“I couldn't go to the facility to get tested,” Bell said. “They couldn't come to me to get tested.”

Huh? Why couldn't he go to the facility? Did he have an organ transplant or a knee procedure?

The video's low point — OK, besides Bell admitting he smoked in December 2014 — was when he made sure to mention the NFL in April “tried to test me on a Saturday morning at 5:37 a.m.” As if that was somehow unfair.

Listen, if you drive high and thus qualify for the league's substance-abuse program, you're going to be tested at random and apparently weird times. SHOW UP. If it's 5:37 a.m., get there at 4:37 a.m.

I mean, the only thing on the line was possibly millions of dollars and Bell's very future, right?

“I ended up missing the test,” Bell said. “I was sleeping. And that's on me.”

Who else would it be on?

The video ends with Bell saying, “After this whole situation's done, you will get a better person and a better player out of this.”

Words mean nothing at this point. Bell's actions mean everything. And I must ask: Where are his advisors, mentors, coaches and teammates in all of this? Did somebody actually endorse the video idea? Does anyone hold him accountable? Will somebody please order him to stay away from social media?

All his teammates did during training camp was defend him. Don't jump to conclusions. He has a shot to pass this thing. The case should be thrown out.

We heard it all. This is what actually happened: Bell blew off his drug tests, which means he failed them. His lack of accountability will again make him unavailable to his teammates at the start of a season, this time for three games.

He's lucky it's not four.

Joe Starkey co-hosts a show 2 to 6 p.m. weekdays on 93.7 FM. Reach him at jraystarkey@gmail.com.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/11014279-74/bell-failed-lucky?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29

Steelwolf
08-22-2016, 08:26 PM
Bell and Bryant are far from being my favorite players. Hopefully one of our young guys can step up!

Slapstick
08-23-2016, 05:47 AM
Ah, self-righteous sportswriters....

BradshawsHairdresser
08-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Ah, self-righteous sportswriters....
Ah, self-righteous message board posters...

:)

Slapstick
08-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Ah, self-righteous message board posters...

:)

Don't be silly! Nobody finds you to be self-righteous!:lol:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Starkey: Will Steelers' 'Lucky Le'Veon' Ever Get It?

By Joe Starkey | Monday, Aug. 22, 2016, 2:03 p.m.

... Where are his advisors, mentors, coaches and teammates in all of this? Did somebody actually endorse the video idea? Does anyone hold him accountable? Will somebody please order him to stay away from social media?

All his teammates did during training camp was defend him. "Don't jump to conclusions. He has a shot to pass this thing. The case should be thrown out ..."

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/11014279-74/bell-failed-lucky?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29

I agree with most/all of what Starkey wrote.

And I do keep asking myself as well the part bolded in green. Where are the team leaders who take him out back and knock him in the head more than a few times, and let him know they are really really p*d off about his selfishness lowering the odds of their getting a ring?

And where are the coaches in all this? Has anyone heard of anything like a team meeting being held where the pot smokers were put in the middle of a circle and shamed for hurting the team?

I'm not saying I'm for or against Federal marijuana laws being what they are, and I'm not expressing an opinion here on whether the NFL should test for marijuana. Those are different issues. What I'm really upset about is that these two guys' selfishness may wind up costing us a game or two this coming year, which might just be what it takes for someone else to win a Lombardi this year instead of us. For what - a buzz?

Disgusted.

Slapstick
08-24-2016, 05:58 AM
This isn't high school...these are grown men who supposed to be professional.

Do you take two co-workers at the office and put them in the middle of a circle, shaming them for smoking pot?

Eich
08-24-2016, 08:44 AM
I don't see how keeping him at stage 2 is a win for anyone. I would rather they put him in stage 3 or 4 but cut his current suspension to 1-2 games instead of 3. THAT would be a win. Keeping him at stage 2 is just a stupid "win" for stupid behavior. If he misses or fails another test, I don't think it'll matter how many games he's suspended. The Steelers will move on.

Moonie
08-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Do you take two co-workers at the office and put them in the middle of a circle, shaming them for smoking pot?
Where I work, we put them in the middle of a circle, and beat them for not sharing.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2016, 10:09 AM
I don't see how keeping him at stage 2 is a win for anyone. I would rather they put him in stage 3 or 4 but cut his current suspension to 1-2 games instead of 3. THAT would be a win. Keeping him at stage 2 is just a stupid "win" for stupid behavior. If he misses or fails another test, I don't think it'll matter how many games he's suspended. The Steelers will move on.

Yeah, but they won't necessarily move on immediately. If he gets suspended again, he'll sit the 4 games, then we will run the crap out of him for the remaining 12 games plus playoffs (like Dallas did with Demarco Murray a few years ago when they already knew they weren't bringing him back), and then move on in the offseason when Bell's tires are balder than Ryan Shazier.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Where I work, we put them in the middle of a circle, and beat them for not sharing.

Le'Veon shared with LeGarrette, he shared with Martavis, he's good sharer.

squidkid
08-24-2016, 03:05 PM
I agree with most/all of what Starkey wrote.

And I do keep asking myself as well the part bolded in green. Where are the team leaders who take him out back and knock him in the head more than a few times, and let him know they are really really p*d off about his selfishness lowering the odds of their getting a ring?

And where are the coaches in all this? Has anyone heard of anything like a team meeting being held where the pot smokers were put in the middle of a circle and shamed for hurting the team?

I'm not saying I'm for or against Federal marijuana laws being what they are, and I'm not expressing an opinion here on whether the NFL should test for marijuana. Those are different issues. What I'm really upset about is that these two guys' selfishness may wind up costing us a game or two this coming year, which might just be what it takes for someone else to win a Lombardi this year instead of us. For what - a buzz?

Disgusted.

i think winning is much more important to the fans than the players.
now the coaches i dont get. their employment(in most cases) is based on winning

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2016, 05:05 PM
By Darin Gantt
September 26, 2016, 4:18 PM EDT
Le’Veon Bell says off-field issues are “behind me”

Upon his return to the Steelers after a three-game suspension for violating the league’s drug policy, running back Le’Veon Bell told reporters today the issues were “behind me.”

“There shouldn’t be any more off-the-field issues. I apologize to everybody for that,” Bell said, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com. “I just want to move forward. I’m ready to get back on the field and show people what I’m able to do.”

Bell missed the first two games of last season after a DUI charge in which he admitted smoking marijuana on his way to the airport prior to a Steelers preseason game. The latest suspension was for missing tests, which he said was entirely his fault.

But he said his priority now was taking care of himself physically and “whatever it takes for me to be on the field.”

“I’m not a perfect person. I never will be. I’m not going to try to be,” Bell said. “I understand there are some things I can get better at, and I’m going to shoot to get better at them.”

The Steelers could use the jolt he could provide for the offense, after a listless 34-3 loss to the Eagles.

“Once they plug me in, I feel like I’ll go out there and help the guys move the football,” Bell said. “I just want to be a guy that’s reliable, make sure I take care of the football, make plays in situational downs, get in the end zone, help the offense move the ball and win games.”

He also said he had no problem sharing the ball with veteran backup DeAngelo Williams, though no one expects it to be anything near a job share.

Steelwolf
09-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Wait....I think he said this last year too lol

squidkid
09-26-2016, 09:11 PM

yup, and earlier this year.
the kid has some real mental issues

Captain Lemming
09-26-2016, 10:12 PM

He said it once.
He gave Fowler a cut and paste copy of the original. :)

Steelwolf
09-26-2016, 10:21 PM
He said it once.
He gave Fowler a cut and paste copy of the original. :)

Time for Bell to put on a show and get this team rollin!

RobinCole
09-27-2016, 07:51 AM
OK, I'm not gonna let this one pass. Squid says "winning is much more important to the fans than the players". No, no, no. It may seem that way because fans get overwrought and hysterical. The players can't allow themselves to be seen that way. After a loss like Sunday's, the locker room gets very quiet; nobody wants to talk and when they do it's in short, clipped one-liners: "We got our butts kicked." "We stunk". They put in a lot of work to get where they are and i simply don't believe that winning is not as important to them as it is to the fans. No, no, no.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-27-2016, 10:17 AM
OK, I'm not gonna let this one pass. Squid says "winning is much more important to the fans than the players". No, no, no. It may seem that way because fans get overwrought and hysterical. The players can't allow themselves to be seen that way. After a loss like Sunday's, the locker room gets very quiet; nobody wants to talk and when they do it's in short, clipped one-liners: "We got our butts kicked." "We stunk". They put in a lot of work to get where they are and i simply don't believe that winning is not as important to them as it is to the fans. No, no, no.

I'd like to think you're right. I'd like to think that the players all care more about the team winning than we do.

But then Bryant pulls what he pulled, and gets kicked out for the year, and I have to wonder ... maybe getting high is more important to him than the Steelers winning games.

And then Bell pulls what he did, and gets suspended for several games, and I have to wonder ... maybe he's more concerned about living the lifestyle, hanging out with Snoop and cutting records, than he is with his team winning football games.

And then AB pulls what he did last week, going public with complaint that he's not getting enough targets in the first couple of games (which were wins). He got plenty of targets in the Eagles game ... do we hear him going off about how disappointed he is the team lost that game? Makes me wonder ... maybe for him, winning takes a back seat to money and personal glory.

I see players appear to quit part way through a game, the way some Steelers did last Sunday, and I have to wonder ... for many of these guys, as long as they get their paycheck, does it matter to them that much if they win?

Robin, I hope you're right about this. I really do. And for the most part, I think you are. But some of the players do/say things that give me pause.

RobinCole
09-27-2016, 11:07 AM
We are constantly told by the "legalize it" crowd that weed is not addictive. Could it be that they're wrong? Or maybe they were right at one time but the types of weed being produced today are more potent and not only addictive but harmful? I have read several articles recently that suggest this could be true. I don't know. I only know what I read. Anyway, the general consensus is that if you're addicted to something, it takes priority over everything else, even your family, let alone your team.

As for AB, I see increasing signs that his ego is enlarging. Whether it's getting so big that it renders winning less important to him, I can't say.

Shawn
09-27-2016, 11:11 AM
I'd like to think you're right. I'd like to think that the players all care more about the team winning than we do.

But then Bryant pulls what he pulled, and gets kicked out for the year, and I have to wonder ... maybe getting high is more important to him than the Steelers winning games.

And then Bell pulls what he did, and gets suspended for several games, and I have to wonder ... maybe he's more concerned about living the lifestyle, hanging out with Snoop and cutting records, than he is with his team winning football games.

And then AB pulls what he did last week, going public with complaint that he's not getting enough targets in the first couple of games (which were wins). He got plenty of targets in the Eagles game ... do we hear him going off about how disappointed he is the team lost that game? Makes me wonder ... maybe for him, winning takes a back seat to money and personal glory.

I see players appear to quit part way through a game, the way some Steelers did last Sunday, and I have to wonder ... for many of these guys, as long as they get their paycheck, does it matter to them that much if they win?

Robin, I hope you're right about this. I really do. And for the most part, I think you are. But some of the players do/say things that give me pause. Getting high IS more important to him than playing football. His actions display that fact. So, playing NFL ball and making millions is less important to him than inhaling the smoke of a weed. That is the definition of insanity and addiction. Cunning, Baffling, and Powerful.

RobinCole
09-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Shawn, sounds as though we are thinking alike on this.

feltdizz
09-27-2016, 11:19 AM
We are constantly told by the "legalize it" crowd that weed is not addictive. Could it be that they're wrong? Or maybe they were right at one time but the types of weed being produced today are more potent and not only addictive but harmful? I have read several articles recently that suggest this could be true. I don't know. I only know what I read. Anyway, the general consensus is that if you're addicted to something, it takes priority over everything else, even your family, let alone your team.

As for AB, I see increasing signs that his ego is enlarging. Whether it's getting so big that it renders winning less important to him, I can't say.

AB is like most great WR's... he's always open and always wants the ball.

Bell and Bryant are young and dumb. I dont think its addiction, i think its just being hard headed. Some people really like smoking weed and will do so regardless of the test or the punishment.

Honestly, its not much different than Ben going out and partying when he was young and successful or not wearing a helmet. He was warned, people begged him to stop, lay low, etc but he had to learn the hard way. He wasnt addicted to partying and young tail he was just doing what he wanted to do and didnt,put the team first.

Hopefully both these guys will grow up and realize its hurting the team and their pockets.

feltdizz
09-27-2016, 11:24 AM

of course they will say the right things on camera but i bet they went out and partied Sunday night at their favorite spots.

Players care but most dont care as much as the fans.

RobinCole
09-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Well, I won't bet because nobody knows what they did when the plane got back from Philly. In a way, it would be understandable that some would want to "party" rather than sit home alone and brood. It's kinda like the Irish wake mentality. You're in mourning but you gather together, drink and laugh and recall funny stories about the departed. Somehow though, I don't think Harrison or Ben, AV, Heyward, Tuitt, etc., went out and partied.

NorthCoast
09-27-2016, 12:23 PM
As they say, you learn more about the team from a loss than you do a win. Lot of young guys on the team now. Let's see how they respond to being embarrassed in the national spotlight..... smoke a doob or go out and hit the juggs machine hard......

RuthlessBurgher
09-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Analysis: What Le'Veon Bell's return means for the running back and the Steelers
By Chris Bradford
18 hrs ago

PITTSBURGH – When the Steelers host Kansas City next week they won’t have their full complement of offensive weapons -- Ladarius Green is still out for some time -- but they will have the biggest piece they’ve been missing so far.

Le’Veon Bell returns this week after serving his three-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

The return of Bell, arguably the best all-around running back in the league, is clearly welcome news for a Steelers team that is coming off a humbling 34-3 loss at Philadelphia. While the Steelers offense has done plenty of good things in Bell’s absence -- save for Sunday’s dismal showing against the Eagles -- they haven’t done them consistently. That should change with Bell back in the lineup.

“I am ready to move forward,” Bell said Monday. “It’s a big week for me. I am excited to get back on the field. I am healthy. I am ready to move forward.”

Times Steelers Writer Chris Bradford explains what Bell’s return means for the 2-1 Steelers:

AIR IT OUT

Bell is arguably the Steelers’ second-best receiver. His presence alone should open up the passing game for Ben Roethlisberger and move coverages away from Antonio Brown. The Steelers view Bell as a de facto receiver, often lining him up out wide or using him out of the backfield on screens and checkdowns.

Bell has averaged 4.3 receptions for 39.7 yards per game in his three-year career. Through three games, DeAngelo Williams' 21 targets were second to only Brown’s 40. By comparison, Jesse James had 16 targets, followed by Eli Rogers with 15 and Sammie Coates with 12. It’s safe to assume that Bell will be getting even more balls thrown his way.

“I want to take care of the football, make plays in situational downs, get in the end zone and help the offense move the ball and win games,” Bell said.

WHERE THERE’S A D-WILL …

With respect to DeAngelo Williams, Bell is the Steelers’ best option at running back. But it’s hard to think the Steelers will get much more production from Bell, at least in terms of rushing yards, than they had been getting from Williams.

The 33-year-old can still be a valuable contributor, as if the past two seasons weren’t evidence enough of that. Williams is the NFL’s sixth-leading rusher this season with 258 yards (86 yards per game). You can’t just leave that kind of production on the bench.Todd Haley will have to find a way to incorporate Williams into the game plan in some fashion.

“There is always enough room,” Bell said of Williams. “I am going to let the coaches put us in situations. DeAngelo and myself are unselfish guys. We want to do whatever it takes for us to win a Super Bowl. That is the biggest goal.”

FOLLOW THE MONEY

Before Bell’s latest suspension, there had been speculation that the Steelers would try to extend his contract this summer. Obviously, that never happened and Bell remains a pending free agent at season’s end.

The Steelers still have control over Bell if they choose to place the franchise tag on him next season. That amount for this season would have been $11.79 million. This season, Bell’s contract -- the final year of his four-year rookie deal – carries a cap hit of $1.197 million, or a pittance of his worth on the open market.

Between his injury issues -- he’s coming off major knee surgery and has yet to play in a postseason game -- and his off-field problems, Bell is in an audition year. If he can stay healthy and avoid further league discipline, Bell will get paid big whether in Pittsburgh or elsewhere. Clearly, the Steelers are counting on a motivated Bell being a productive Bell.

“I don’t think about it,” Bell said. “I just want to get through the season and let that stuff handle itself.”

RUSH’N ATTACK

With Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson on the shelf with a torn meniscus, the NFL’s rushing title is very much up for grabs. New England’s LeGarrette Blount is the current leader with 298 yards, followed by Dallas rookie Ezekiel Elliott and Cleveland’s Isaiah Crowell with 274 each. If Bell returns to his 2014 form, the rushing title is still within reach for him. Bell rushed for over 100 yards in eight games in 2014.

“I am a better player now than two years ago. I want to keep moving forward. I am a lot smarter. I look back on my second year film and think what was I doing on this play or that play? It’s just growth,” Bell said. If you’re wondering, Bell ran for 121 yards on just 17 carries last year against Kansas City, the Steelers’ opponent on Sunday night.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/analysis-what-le-veon-bell-s-return-means-for-the/article_de679e6e-8436-11e6-b262-cb9285a09699.html

squidkid
09-27-2016, 03:22 PM

why do great FAs leave a playoff caliber team to sign with a bottom feeder?................money
before the season even starts, you can pretty accurately pick out 15 teams that have no shot at making the playoffs.............why are their 53 guys willing to play on those teams?.............money
vary rarely do you find a player willing to take a pay cut to go to a real contender. those are guys that have already made their money and now want a chance at a title before retirement.
i think there is only a handful of players on each team that really care about winning and those are the guys already with big contracts

RuthlessBurgher
09-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Mike Tomlin says Le’Veon Bell will be ready to carry the load
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 27, 2016, 3:17 PM EDT

Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell is back from his three-game suspension, and coach Mike Tomlin doesn’t think he’ll have to ease Bell back into the lineup.

“His level of conditioning is not a concern to us,” Tomlin said of Bell. “A guy that is highly conditioned over a 12 month calendar. We have seen him every day, he has been a part of us, and he has been in the building. He is up to speed on what we are doing from a schematic standpoint and really in tune there. We will see how sharp he is physically once we get on the practice field. But rest assured, you are going to see Le’Veon Bell and probably a lot of him on Sunday.”

DeAngelo Williams did a good job filling in for Bell the first two weeks of the season, but last week Williams managed just eight carries for 21 yards in a blowout loss to the Eagles. The Steelers need Bell to help get their offense back on track.

When Bell is available he’s one of the best running backs in the NFL. Last year he averaged 93 yards a game on the ground and also caught four passes a game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/27/mike-tomlin-says-leveon-bell-will-be-ready-to-carry-the-load/

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Bell returns to backfield but will see lots of time as receiver

Joe Rutter BY JOE RUTTER
Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2016, 10:48 a.m.
Updated 19 hours ago
Steelers running back LeVeon Bell returns to practice Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2016 at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.
Steelers running back LeVeon Bell returns to practice Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2016 at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.
PHOTO BY CHAZ PALLA | TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Le'Veon Bell already was preparing to return to the Steelers backfield once his three-game suspension ended.

Now that his punishment has expired, Bell is being welcomed back to other spots within the Steelers offense.

Bell is prepared to be used heavily in the passing game when the Steelers try to rebound from a forgettable offensive performance when they meet the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday night at Heinz Field.

“I want to be a player for all aspects of the game,” Bell said Wednesday after his first practice with the team since training camp. “I want to catch short passes, down the field, whatever it may be.”

Bell never has been a one-dimensional running back. Not with 83 receptions for 854 yards on his resume in 2014, his last full regular season. But circumstances have changed since Bell had November surgery to repair the MCL and posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Tight end Heath Miller retired. His replacement, Ladarius Green, is on injured reserve. Deep threat Martavis Bryant is suspended for the season. Wideout Markus Wheaton dropped three passes in the 34-3 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, his first game back from injury. Slot receiver Eli Rogers is “very questionable” to play against the Chiefs because of turf toe.

“Last year, we started to get into more me moving around and things like that,” he said. “I want to continue to grow, and as long as I keep going out there doing what I'm doing and don't fall off from what I've learned already as they keep adding things on, I'll be fine.”

Running routes was part of Bell's conditioning while he was serving his suspension, and he quickly was incorporated into the passing drills at practice Wednesday.

“Today, it felt great,” he said. “I felt like I was hauling it in a lot easier.”

Coach Mike Tomlin admitted he will lean heavily on Bell this weekend.

“Rest assured, you're going to see Le'Veon Bell — and probably a lot of him — on Sunday,” he said.

Having Bell spread out of the backfield is another way to keep veteran running back DeAngelo Williams on the field. Williams was leading the NFL in rushing until the Eagles held him to 21 yards on eight carries. He also is the Steelers' second-leading receiver with 14 catches.

“They are two great running backs who can cause a lot of havoc,” center Maurkice Pouncey said. “We're going to see how it turns out this weekend. We've got some packages set up, and hopefully it turns out right.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said it makes sense for the Steelers to put their two top backs on the field at the same time.

“We're going to have them both on the field and move (Bell) out of the backfield,” he said. “We're not going to take ‘RB' off the front of his name and put ‘WR' there, but I think he's one of our best receivers.”

Roethlisberger, in fact, thinks Bell is the team's best pass catcher behind All-Pro wideout Antonio Brown. That might not be a coincidence. Bell said he tries to emulate Brown as a receiver.

“I watch him a lot,” Bell said. “I watch the way he releases and gets in and out of breaks. I've been watching him for four years. He probably doesn't even know it.

“It's not something where we run off and do (work) on the side. I've just been watching him to see how he releases in different situations and how I can put that in my game.”