PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown nearly ejected from joint practice for conduct toward official

Jooser
08-11-2016, 07:25 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/10/antonio-brown-nearly-ejected-from-joint-practice-for-conduct-toward-official/

Antonio Brown nearly ejected from joint practice for conduct toward official

Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2016, 8:14 PM EDT

NFL football training camp in Latrobe, Pa., on Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2016. (AP Photo/Jared Wickerham)
AP
With officials now encouraged to eject players from games whose behavior crosses the line, they nearly got some practice during a joint training-camp session between the Lions and Steelers.

Via Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Steelers receiver Antonio Brown was nearly ejected for his behavior toward an official hired to work the practice.

According to Adamski, Brown would have been ejected from a normal game, and the official plans to report Brown to the league office. Typically, however, the league office takes a hands-off approach to things that occur during training-camp practice, deferring instead to the team.

But if the team won’t do anything, the league office should — especially when people other than team employees are the targets of the misbehavior.

Eich
08-11-2016, 08:09 AM
Wow, that's not very Brown-like. Wonder what got under his skin? Just a bad/close call? Would have been nice to see more details about what the conduct towards the official was.

Eich
08-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Jon Ledyard ‎@LedyardNFLDraft

Apparently AB said something to ref about "you got a free lunch here and haven't thrown a flag all day." With a lot of expletives thrown in

Slapstick
08-11-2016, 09:58 AM
While going about it the wrong way, Brown is right...

If the officials aren't going to flag players, what is the point of bringing them in?

K Train
08-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Wow, that's not very Brown-like. Wonder what got under his skin? Just a bad/close call? Would have been nice to see more details about what the conduct towards the official was.
Brown gets chippy...its very brown like. Hes super competitive and passionate. I think he really gets under CBs skin a lot

Jooser
08-11-2016, 11:00 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/11/antonio-brown-criticized-official-over-interference-non-call/

Antonio Brown criticized official over interference non-call

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2016, 10:48 AM EDT
AP
During a Wednesday joint practice with the Lions, Steelers receiver Antonio Brown was nearly ejected, according to the official who nearly ejected him. So what happened?

As explained by Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on PFT Live, Brown became upset when Terry Brown didn’t call pass interference after a failed attempt by Brown to catch a ball in the end zone.

“You had a free lunch and you still haven’t made a call today,” Antonio Brown said, according to Kaboly. Antonio Brown also said other things, using words that can’t be used on non-cable TV.

“This is their practice,” Terry Brown reportedly said, according to Chris Adamski of the Tribune-Review. “He will do it here and get away with it. But if he thinks he can do that and get away with it in a game, he’s got another thing coming. I’m still going to report it to the league.”

Terry Brown also told receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey that the team “better get [Antonio Brown] under control or I’m going to throw him out. He’s not going to push me; I’m a veteran, 11 years. . . . I’m not going to tolerate it.”

But tolerate it Terry Brown did. And despite the notion that Terry Brown would have ejected Antonio Brown for saying what he said if he said those things during a game, officials routinely resist ejecting players, because they are reluctant to impact competitive balance.

Sorry, but this official is officially too sensitive. Everyone in America is offended these days. Walk it off ref, and rub some dirt in it....dayum.

Shoe
08-11-2016, 11:45 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/11/antonio-brown-criticized-official-over-interference-non-call/

Sorry, but this official is officially too sensitive. Everyone in America is offended these days. Walk it off ref, and rub some dirt in it....dayum.

No, dude. Neither of us were there, but I would bet that the player just went off on him. You do have to address disrespect, complete insubordination. I find it a little troubling... granted we are watching completely from the outside. To me, it looks like AB is finally getting all the accolades he deserves. He's on DWTS, he's ranked top 5 in players, everyone is singing his praises as "the best", and now hearing this?

I get that WR is a position where you have to have a healthy ego. It just *looks* like a guy who may be getting a little big for his britches.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-11-2016, 11:59 AM
No, dude. Neither of us were there, but I would bet that the player just went off on him. You do have to address disrespect, complete insubordination. I find it a little troubling... granted we are watching completely from the outside. To me, it looks like AB is finally getting all the accolades he deserves. He's on DWTS, he's ranked top 5 in players, everyone is singing his praises as "the best", and now hearing this?

I get that WR is a position where you have to have a healthy ego. It just *looks* like a guy who may be getting a little big for his britches.
as you said, we weren't there... but, it sounds to me like this ref was just there to collect a paycheck and only half do his job and it annoyed AB, who called him on it.

If you ARE doing your job properly, you tell the guy to shut up and prove him wrong about what you've called/done. if you're NOT, you get defensive (which the ref did).

Eich
08-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Regardless if the Ref was trying to do a good job or mailing it in, the game of football is just too difficult to officiate consistently. What's a catch? What's interference? When should you call holding?

There's no easy fix. But the ONE thing I wish they'd do is make EVERY play reviewable. Don't increase the number of reviews each coach gets but make everything reviewable. Then if there's a blatant missed PI on a critical pass, it can be challenged.

Starlifter
08-11-2016, 03:59 PM
I was at Latrobe last night and it was pretty obvious what AB was doing. He had broken free in the 2 minute drill and caught a TD going out of the back of the endzone, and the official called him out of bounds. He started jawing right away, stayed with the guy and was giving him the business. since it was pre season he didn't care about getting back to the huddle and stayed with the guy for a good length of time. In fact we were joking in the stand and wondering if it's possible to be ejected from camp. then AB went back behind the offense and was laughing and joking with ben about it.

I don't know what he said, but it's camp. The official needs to ignore it - much like all they players were ignoring them..........

squidkid
08-11-2016, 06:17 PM
I was at Latrobe last night and it was pretty obvious what AB was doing. He had broken free in the 2 minute drill and caught a TD going out of the back of the endzone, and the official called him out of bounds. He started jawing right away, stayed with the guy and was giving him the business. since it was pre season he didn't care about getting back to the huddle and stayed with the guy for a good length of time. In fact we were joking in the stand and wondering if it's possible to be ejected from camp. then AB went back behind the offense and was laughing and joking with ben about it.

I don't know what he said, but it's camp. The official needs to ignore it - much like all they players were ignoring them..........

sounds like AB being a lil Bitch

feltdizz
08-11-2016, 09:08 PM

sounds like the NFL is trying to crack down on players jawing at the refs... and it sounds like you have a lot of bitch in you for calling AB one.

Ghost
08-11-2016, 09:42 PM
NO ONE, either at the stadium or watching on TV is doing it for the refs. And the refs need to remember that. They are only doing their job competently when no on mentions their name at the end. Make the correct calls, keep your f'n mouth shut, and quietly walk off the field at the end of the game. Anything else is total nonsense.

bostonsteeler
08-11-2016, 09:59 PM

While I agree that the official must ignore it, I do believe it shows a lack of professionalism. I can't imagine Heath (who I think of as the epitome of professionalism) behaving like this for instance, practice or not.

AB will be the face of the steelers, and one of the seniors that all youngsters will look up to, in a couple of years. I'd have preferred to hear how he comports himself like a leader.

Shoe
08-11-2016, 10:49 PM
While I agree that the official must ignore it, I do believe it shows a lack of professionalism. I can't imagine Heath (who I think of as the epitome of professionalism) behaving like this for instance, practice or not.

AB will be the face of the steelers, and one of the seniors that all youngsters will look up to, in a couple of years. I'd have preferred to hear how he comports himself like a leader.

Exactly. Be a professional. Really, it is about maturity. Look, I have no love for refs. And in my younger days, I think I can recall just letting refs have it (cussing them out, etc.) But as I MATURED, there was no need (in my mind) to do that... it didn't solve anything, except mabybe my own selfish desire to unload. I'm really not trying to be high and mighty about this, but think about how you look too (i.e. kids). What does it look like to the kids who look up to you, to see you ranting like a lunatic.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2016, 11:50 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Tomlin needs to take AB aside and explain this to him, if he hasn't already.

feltdizz
08-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Exactly. Be a professional. Really, it is about maturity. Look, I have no love for refs. And in my younger days, I think I can recall just letting refs have it (cussing them out, etc.) But as I MATURED, there was no need (in my mind) to do that... it didn't solve anything, except mabybe my own selfish desire to unload. I'm really not trying to be high and mighty about this, but think about how you look too (i.e. kids). What does it look like to the kids who look up to you, to see you ranting like a lunatic.

was he ranting like a lunatic? If he felt he was in and told the ref as much I don't see a problem with it. I know the league is cracking down so it's a teachable moment but unless Brown went all Bill Cowher on the ref I think its being overblown to make sure the players take notice of the new rules.

feltdizz
08-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Heath is gone. Doesn't matter what he would or wouldn't do.

AB is a special type of player and with his talent we have to deal with a few gaffes or emotional outburst and I'm fine with it.

As long as he keeps producing at a record breaking pace I have no problem at all with his celebrations, flips and arguing with an official during a preseason practice.

I prefer Jesse James to act like Heath.

I want Coates, Wheaton, DHB to act like Antonio Brown.

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Heath is gone. Doesn't matter what he would or wouldn't do.

AB is a special type of player and with his talent we have to deal with a few gaffes or emotional outburst and I'm fine with it.

As long as he keeps producing at a record breaking pace I have no problem at all with his celebrations, flips and arguing with an official during a preseason practice.

I prefer Jesse James to act like Heath.

I want Coates, Wheaton, DHB to act like Antonio Brown.

Xavier Grimble wants to know who he should act like.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-12-2016, 01:00 PM
I don't know what's wrong with some people. A big part of sports is respect for the sport itself, which includes the players, the refs, the coaches, etc. Some of that is even codified in the NFL rules, for those that don't instinctively know how to act that way.

If Brown lit into the ref and wouldn't let up, then he faces the consequences. What's so hard to accept about that? It has nothing to do with performance, or player X acting like player Y.

It's really pretty simple. How we're supposed to act doesn't change when step on a field or put on a helmet.

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2016, 02:03 PM
It's really pretty simple. How we're supposed to act doesn't change when step on a field or put on a helmet.

Except these guys are supposed to take each other's heads off when they put on helmets and step onto the field. That behavior is a more than what is allowed in everyday life.

squidkid
08-12-2016, 03:00 PM
sounds like the NFL is trying to crack down on players jawing at the refs... and it sounds like you have a lot of bitch in you for calling AB one.

you sound like a lil bitch for defending a lil bitch

feltdizz
08-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Xavier Grimble wants to know who he should act like.

he should act like whoever is the best player at his position...

feltdizz
08-12-2016, 05:12 PM
you sound like a lil bitch for defending a lil bitch

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/pict/271108545765_2.jpg

Captain Lemming
08-12-2016, 06:58 PM

Takes one to kn...... :)

Shoe
08-13-2016, 12:39 AM
I don't know what's wrong with some people. A big part of sports is respect for the sport itself, which includes the players, the refs, the coaches, etc. Some of that is even codified in the NFL rules, for those that don't instinctively know how to act that way.

If Brown lit into the ref and wouldn't let up, then he faces the consequences. What's so hard to accept about that? It has nothing to do with performance, or player X acting like player Y.

Exactly.
It's not OK for AB to rip into a referee on a missed call in a rec league, so why is it OK for him to do so in this context? As a "professsional", it actually should be less permissable!