PDA

View Full Version : Joey Bosa...

BradshawsHairdresser
08-09-2016, 09:41 AM
...and the Chargers can't seem to come to terms. Recently, his mother said she wished he'd "pulled an Eli," referring to how Eli Manning phenagled a way to get himself to the Giants instead of the Chargers. The hangup doesn't seem to be over the size of the money, but Bosa wants a signing bonus this year, and doesn't want offset provisions that few top draft picks have in their contracts.

Maybe the Steelers should put together an offer for him--say Jarvis Jones and next year's #1? Bosa would likely be far more talented than the Steelers will get with with their pick at the end of the first round, and could probably step in and help right away in pass rush situations. Or are there big-time character concerns with this dude?

Ghost
08-09-2016, 10:54 AM
The Charges are a poorly run organization that continues to run an NFL team like a mom & pop ice cream truck. The dispute comes down to offset language or a deferred signing bonus. The offset language allows a team to not pay the full contract if they don't pick up year 5 of the rookie deal. Bosa and agents have agreed to compromise and either allow the offset language to be written in or defer the signing bonus over multiple years. The Chargers don't want to meet him half way. Since 2012, every 3rd round pick has signed with either off set language or a deferred signing bonus so Bosa is asking for EXACTLY what the NFL considers standard for picks that high. The loser Chargers are being stubborn and stupid by saying it's the "Chargers Way" to do contracts this way. A lot of good that's got them.

Fools should have traded out of the 3rd spot if they didn't understand what a pick that high would ask for and what all other teams drafting that high have given out.

K Train
08-09-2016, 11:43 AM
it would take a lot more than jarvis jones and next years 1st.

While i think he was one of the top 3 players in the draft, steelers needs are definitely not at the DE spot...although it would be epic

Iron City Inc.
08-09-2016, 01:14 PM

While i think he was one of the top 3 players in the draft, steelers needs are definitely not at the DE spot...although it would be epic

We could sweeten the deal by taking Jarvis out. Sorry my poor attempt at humor.

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2016, 01:17 PM

Although it's totally a pipe dream, Bosa would only be a DE in nickel/dime packages for us...in base, he'd be an OLB.

Consider Bosa's combine measurements to the OLB's we took in the previous draft:

Joey Bosa 6'5" 269 lbs.
Bud Dupree 6'4" 269 lbs.
Anthony Chickillo 6'3" 267 lbs.

Sure, Bud and Chick both dropped weight for their 2nd NFL season, but the were Bosa-sized coming out.

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Bosa can't be traded now:
By Mike Florio
August 9, 2016, 5:34 PM EDT
Window closes on potential trade of Joey Bosa in 2016

It’s official. In 2016, defensive end Joey Bosa will play for the Chargers or for no one.

As first explained last week by PFT, the window for trading Bosa closed at 4:00 p.m. ET today, 30 days before the start of the regular season. He can’t be traded until the 2017 league year opens, at the earliest.

The Chargers had shown no inclination to trade Bosa, in large part because no other team had the rookie pool space to absorb his contract. Without that, a trade couldn’t have happened.

As first explained here last week (but co-opted without credit by a certain four-letter network on Sunday), the two sides haven’t spoken since July 28. Indeed, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that, as of this posting, the two sides still haven’t spoken in 12 days, and counting.

The ball, as previously explained, remains in the team’s court. The latest offer from the Chargers came on the morning of July 28, Bosa’s camp responded within 90 minutes, and the team has still not countered.

The team presumably hasn’t countered because there’s nothing to say. The Chargers want offset language to be attached to the guaranteed contract, preventing double-dipping from Bosa if he’s cut during the next four years and signs elsewhere. The Chargers also want to defer a significant chunk of the signing bonus to March of 2017, while Bosa wants the full signing bonus to be paid out this year.

Bosa is willing to concede either point. The Chargers want both offset and deferral language.

The impasse must be resolved, at the latest, by the Tuesday after Week 10. If a deal isn’t reached by then, Bosa can’t play in 2016, and he’ll remain the property of the Chargers until the start of the 2017 draft.

Again, it’s hard to see it getting to that point. It also was hard a few weeks ago to see it getting to this point.

Rara
08-09-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm perfectly fine with Tuitt and Hayward. I don't see why we need Bosa.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-09-2016, 08:00 PM
My thought was not that Bosa would replace Tuitt or Heyward, but that he could certainly contribute for the Steelers as an OLB/DE, and provide help for the pass rush.

But it's a moot point now--too late to make a trade for him. I doubt if the Steelers ever even considered it. As was pointed out, they likely couldn't have cleared enough $$ space to sign him. Just one of those hypotheticals we sometimes throw out for discussion this time of year.

Rara
08-09-2016, 08:12 PM
My thought was not that Bosa would replace Tuitt or Heyward, but that he could certainly contribute for the Steelers as an OLB/DE, and provide help for the pass rush.

But it's a moot point now--too late to make a trade for him. I doubt if the Steelers ever even considered it. As was pointed out, they likely couldn't have cleared enough $$ space to sign him. Just one of those hypotheticals we sometimes throw out for discussion this time of year.

If he's causing issues, as well as his mother...no, we don't need that kind in the locker room.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-09-2016, 08:16 PM
If he's causing issues, as well as his mother...no, we don't need that kind in the locker room.

From what I read, the Chargers are the more to blame in this particular situation.

Shawn
08-09-2016, 08:18 PM
First, it would take our first and a top tier prospect like Dupree to sniff Bosa. Second, Joey Bosa is a solid dude and teammate. Third, he is the best DLman in tOSU history and will be a beast in the pros.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Third, he is the best DLman in tOSU history and will be a beast in the pros.

Which is why I tossed this topic out for discussion...I think he'd have been a great addition to the Steelers' D.

Shawn
08-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Which is why I tossed this topic out for discussion...I think he'd have been a great addition to the Steelers' D. I would literally flip if that happened. But, we would have to give up at least a first and Dupree or a first and Tuitt. I dont see this happening in a million years but fun to fantasize about it.

The Man of Steel
08-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Joey Bosafuoco

Oviedo
08-09-2016, 10:27 PM

Don't need Bosa, but he would likely be an immediate upgrade over Jarvis "do nothing" Jones

Shoe
08-09-2016, 11:38 PM

Well, we don't "need" him. But if we did get him, he'd soon be our best OLB. He's a stud.

K Train
08-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Although it's totally a pipe dream, Bosa would only be a DE in nickel/dime packages for us...in base, he'd be an OLB.

Consider Bosa's combine measurements to the OLB's we took in the previous draft:

Joey Bosa 6'5" 269 lbs.
Bud Dupree 6'4" 269 lbs.
Anthony Chickillo 6'3" 267 lbs.

Sure, Bud and Chick both dropped weight for their 2nd NFL season, but the were Bosa-sized coming out.

It would be more like Bud/Tuitt/Heyward/Bosa in a mean 4 man front I would imagine. Again, pipe dream I know but vicious nonetheless