PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Shazier will become a star in 2016

Jooser
07-19-2016, 08:49 AM
http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc/pittsburgh-steelers/ryan-shazier-will-become-star-2016/

Ryan Shazier will become a star in 2016

When the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted linebacker Ryan Shazier with the 15th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, there was a lot of excitement. With Shazier’s speed and ability to cover, it looked like the Steelers were getting a future star and an anchor to their defense for years to come.

But after two injury-plagued seasons, Shazier has yet to meet the lofty expectations that the Steelers had for him. As a rookie, he showed a ton of promise, but injuries to his knee and ankle cut his season short. He would play in only nine games as a result.

Then during his second season, he managed to show the potential that made him one of the first linebackers drafted back in 2014, but once again injuries hindered him all season. After recording a career-high 15 tackles against the San Francisco 49ers early in the season, he suffered a shoulder injury in the fourth quarter of that game. He ended up battling that injury for most of the season and missed four games for the Steelers as a result.

Despite all the injuries though, when Shazier has been out on the field, he has been very good. He’s shown the ability to cover opposing tight ends and he’s delivered big hits in the running game. Honestly, by-and-large, he’s been very successful when he actually plays.

That’s why Shazier will become a star in 2016.

The bottom line is that Shazier has all the tools to become one of the league’s best linebackers; he just needs to stay healthy for an entire season. Clearly it’s something that Shazier knows he needs to work on and he’s teamed up with fellow Steelers’ linebacker James Harrison to train this offseason in hopes that it will help him stay on the field.

And if anyone knows how to prepare for an NFL season, it is certainly Harrison. He’s been a model for keeping healthy at a very physical position, and his rigorous training program is a big reason for that.

“It’s not a game where you are able to just come to work on Sunday and think that everything is going to just roll out the way it was planned,” Harrison said about the offseason training plan. “It’s a physical game. You have to put the physical work in to prepare to play.”

With Shazier now working with Harrison, he will certainly be prepared for the upcoming season better than he has ever been before. And it should help the young linebacker stay healthy.

Now obviously the increased offseason workload doesn’t necessarily improve his chances of staying healthy, but it certainly couldn’t hurt.

Most importantly, Shazier still has the immaculate speed that had scouts raving about him when he came out of Ohio State University. In fact Shazier might have actually gotten faster over the offseason. He managed to beat receivers Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, and Sammie Coates in an epic 40-yard dash.

Now considering that Antonio Brown is one of the quickest players in the NFL, it’s almost scary to think that Shazier can play at an even faster level. It’s a big reason why many people are expecting big things from Shazier in 2016.

Even Shazier knows that he has the potential to have a huge year if he can stay healthy. After recovering from the shoulder injury last season, Shazier made big strides towards the end of 2015 and was a crucial part of Pittsburgh’s playoff run.

“I definitely feel I was starting to peak at the end of last year,” Shazier said. “I was starting to understand things a lot better. I just feel more at home in my decision-making.”

With his new comfort of the defense and his blazing speed, it should be a huge season for Shazier.

Because if he can stay healthy in 2016, he will become a star.

Looking forward to BIG things from SHAZAAM this season!!!

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53323bb4e4b0cebc6a28ffa2/53573350e4b0758dd79db484/53cd22d5e4b03157ad284b3b/1406045014525/?format=1000w

Shoe
07-19-2016, 10:44 AM
I don't think anybody here doubts his ability to become a star this year. The only question is whether he will be healthy, and maybe some of us question how willing he is to play through pain?

*I knocked on wood when I clicked this thread, because I don't want to jinx the kid.* ;)

BradshawsHairdresser
07-19-2016, 02:04 PM
I don't think anybody here doubts his ability to become a star this year. The only question is whether he will be healthy, and maybe some of us question how willing he is to play through pain?

BINGO.

Hope we see a full, healthy season out of Shaz.

feltdizz
07-19-2016, 03:02 PM

*I knocked on wood when I clicked this thread, because I don't want to jinx the kid.* ;)

I don't care if he misses a game or 2 if it means he plays like a bat out of hell in the playoffs like last year.

Shawn
07-20-2016, 10:07 AM
I stopped reading when he said Shazier was known for his ability to cover. Speed doesn't equate to coverage skills. He was never a great cover guy. Doesn't mean he can't gain those skills but he wasn't known for them in college.

Jooser
07-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Hopefully working out with Deebo equates to him being stronger and more healthy this year. I'd like to see some meanness rub off on him too. As for cover skills Shawn, I think he does about as well as one might expect from a middle linebacker. He had a few picks last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhjVyoKHnU

Fast and violent. The sky is the limit for this guy.

Shawn
07-21-2016, 07:18 AM
Hopefully working out with Deebo equates to him being stronger and more healthy this year. I'd like to see some meanness rub off on him too. As for cover skills Shawn, I think he does about as well as one might expect from a middle linebacker. He had a few picks last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhjVyoKHnU

Fast and violent. The sky is the limit for this guy. I actually liked the way he played in coverage for us...on that we don't disagree. His potential to blow up this season is very high. I think this is the year. That's not the point. I'm talking about these writers who talk about his college cover skills which were minimal. We wasn't asked to do a lot of coverage in college. He was very very raw in that area. A few scouts even made that mistake.

Captain Lemming
07-22-2016, 01:25 AM
I actually liked the way he played in coverage for us...on that we don't disagree. His potential to blow up this season is very high. I think this is the year. That's not the point. I'm talking about these writers who talk about his college cover skills which were minimal. We wasn't asked to do a lot of coverage in college. He was very very raw in that area. A few scouts even made that mistake.

"Despite all the injuries though, when Shazier has been out on the field, he has been very good. He’s shown the ability to cover opposing tight ends and he’s delivered big hits in the running game. Honestly, by-and-large, he’s been very successful when he actually plays."

The portion of the quote where coverage skills was mentioned WAS as a Steeler.

He later mentions Ohio State and comments just about his speed there.

Shawn
07-22-2016, 05:48 AM
"Despite all the injuries though, when Shazier has been out on the field, he has been very good. He’s shown the ability to cover opposing tight ends and he’s delivered big hits in the running game. Honestly, by-and-large, he’s been very successful when he actually plays."

The portion of the quote where coverage skills was mentioned WAS as a Steeler.

He later mentions Ohio State and comments just about his speed there. This was the first thing written...When the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted linebacker Ryan Shazier with the 15th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, there was a lot of excitement. With Shazier’s speed and ability to cover, it looked like the Steelers were getting a future star and an anchor to their defense for years to come.

Captain Lemming
07-22-2016, 09:27 AM
I stand correcrted:sad:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-23-2016, 12:12 PM
This was the first thing written...When the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted linebacker Ryan Shazier with the 15th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, there was a lot of excitement. With Shazier’s speed and ability to cover, it looked like the Steelers were getting a future star and an anchor to their defense for years to come.

I also disagree about there being lots of excitement. I remember more complaints about them not drafting Mosley than calls of excitement. This pick seemed to come straight out of left field for most.

RobinCole
07-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Unless I know what pain he's suffering, I'm not joining the chorus of those who wonder about his "willingness to play through pain". Nobody here is qualified to make that judgment. Nobody here has a shred of evidence to question his desire or competitiveness.

Shawn
07-24-2016, 05:01 PM
I also disagree about there being lots of excitement. I remember more complaints about them not drafting Mosley than calls of excitement. This pick seemed to come straight out of left field for most. I think there were mixed feelings from most fans. You basically had a large SS playing ILB in the NFL who was superbly gifted but also smallish and a bit raw for a first round ILB. I don't remember too many people hating the pick. I personally disliked it more than most because Mosley was still on the board.

With that said, in the first two years of playing CJ Mosley has doubled Shaziers tackle and sack totals...he's also stayed healthy playing in all 32 games. The end of the story hasn't been written on these two but coming out of the gates Mosley certainly was the more NFL ready ILB. My hope is all the lights come on for Shazier and that this is his year to devastate the league. He certainly has the talent to do so.

Slapstick
07-24-2016, 06:08 PM
I was excited when the Steelers drafted Shazier...

All he has to do is stay healthy and he will prove to be a better player than Mosley...

Captain Lemming
07-24-2016, 11:38 PM
I think there were mixed feelings from most fans. You basically had a large SS playing ILB in the NFL who was superbly gifted but also smallish and a bit raw for a first round ILB. I don't remember too many people hating the pick. I personally disliked it more than most because Mosley was still on the board.

With that said, in the first two years of playing CJ Mosley has doubled Shaziers tackle and sack totals...he's also stayed healthy playing in all 32 games. The end of the story hasn't been written on these two but coming out of the gates Mosley certainly was the more NFL ready ILB. My hope is all the lights come on for Shazier and that this is his year to devastate the league. He certainly has the talent to do so.

Mike Doss had more tackles in his rookie season than "Bustamalu" had in any season in his HOF career.
As a more traditional type safety Doss was the more ready player. Troy admitted he was not ready and was lost at first.

Give me the freak talent with HUGE upside any day.

Shawn
07-25-2016, 10:06 AM
Mike Doss had more tackles in his rookie season than "Bustamalu" had in any season in his HOF career.
As a more traditional type safety Doss was the more ready player. Troy admitted he was not ready and was lost at first.

Give me the freak talent with HUGE upside any day. I think Tomlin agrees with you. I don't. I've always preferred guys who are fundamentally strong over track stars. The Steelers of old were built using those kinds of players. With that said, I must admit that Tomlin seems to know what he is doing...Dupree a going to be a beast for us. I think Shazier will as well. Bryant was another track star who showed little in college. So I guess that's why I don't coach NFL football.

Oviedo
07-25-2016, 10:45 AM
I was excited when the Steelers drafted Shazier...

All he has to do is stay healthy and he will prove to be a better player than Mosley...

Totally agree. I called the Shazier pick and he can be a great player if he stays healthy. We saw the difference maker he can be against the Bumgals last play offs.

Oviedo
07-25-2016, 10:46 AM
I think Tomlin agrees with you. I don't. I've always preferred guys who are fundamentally strong over track stars. The Steelers of old were built using those kinds of players. With that said, I must admit that Tomlin seems to know what he is doing...Dupree a going to be a beast for us. I think Shazier will as well. Bryant was another track star who showed little in college. So I guess that's why I don't coach NFL football.

...but I'm sure you slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night so.......

Seriously though. The guys aren't college or Olympic track stars who tried to play WR in the past. These guys are fast, athletic football players and speed is required in today's NFL. The league is more and more a speed game and that won't change soon.

Shawn
07-25-2016, 11:05 AM
...but I'm sure you slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night so.......

Seriously though. The guys aren't college or Olympic track stars who tried to play WR in the past. These guys are fast, athletic football players and speed is required in today's NFL. The league is more and more a speed game and that won't change soon. and you may be right. But the Raiders were built in a similar fashion. I suppose the difference is development. The Steelers have done a better job developing these athletes.