PDA

View Full Version : Suisham Officially Released

phillyesq
06-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Below is the press release:

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-1/Steelers-release-Suisham-sign-Johnson/820b09b0-2106-4d23-a9bb-437ecae95016

Apparently he had a setback in his recovery and was released with a "failed physical" designation. Too bad that he wasn't able to recover. I was hoping that he could be flipped for a late round pick.

He did a really solid job for a number of years. He never had exceptional range, but he was very reliable. I wish him the best in recovering and latching on elsewhere.

squidkid
06-24-2016, 10:11 AM
nobody was going to trade for a injured k with that price tag
good luck to him, tho

phillyesq
06-24-2016, 10:15 AM
nobody was going to trade for a injured k with that price tag
good luck to him, tho

When he was injured - absolutely - no way somebody would trade for him. If he had recovered and proved himself during camp, there was a shot at a 6th or a 7th, particularly if another team had a veteran get hurt late.

squidkid
06-24-2016, 10:22 AM
When he was injured - absolutely - no way somebody would trade for him. If he had recovered and proved himself during camp, there was a shot at a 6th or a 7th, particularly if another team had a veteran get hurt late.

sure, possibly. but that price tag was awfully high especially for a guy that cant kick it deep into or out of th endzone

Oviedo
06-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Meh. I never saw us getting a draft pick for him. IMO that was "pie in the sky" wishing and hoping.

Everyone in the league knows we are keeping Boswell. All they would have had to do is wait for us to release Suisham.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Meh. I never saw us getting a draft pick for him. IMO that was "pie in the sky" wishing and hoping.

Everyone in the league knows we are keeping Boswell. All they would have had to do is wait for us to release Suisham.

Teams could have just waited for us to release Brad Wing last year also, but we finagled a 7th rounder out of the Giants for him nonetheless.

phillyesq
06-24-2016, 10:50 AM
sure, possibly. but that price tag was awfully high especially for a guy that cant kick it deep into or out of th endzone

I hear ya. But the Steelers gave up a 6th for Scobee, who also had a similar salary. Bigger leg, but coming off a bad year.

Oviedo
06-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Need to sign a kicker to keep Boswell off the field in the pre-season

squidkid
06-24-2016, 02:02 PM

lets see what tomlin does with that situation this year

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2016, 02:04 PM

We don't play in Canton this year. But GB & Indy coaches should be considering trotting out their token camp legs for the preseason opener rather than Mason Crosby and Adam Vinatieri.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2016, 02:07 PM
lets see what tomlin does with that situation this year

Tomlin doesn't have time to evaluate kickers. He's too busy deciding whether or not he should fire...err, retire...his coordinators.

Jooser
06-24-2016, 03:14 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/24/shaun-suisham-calls-hall-of-fame-game-injury-catastrophic/

Shaun Suisham calls Hall of Fame Game injury “catastrophic”

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 24, 2016, 12:20 PM EDT

When Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham suffered a knee injury in last year’s Hall of Fame Game, attention immediately turned to the turf at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio. Now that Suisham has been released by the Steelers, more questions should be raised about that turf.

Suisham released a statement after the Steelers cut him suggesting that the injury will prove to be career-ending.

“Unfortunately, the injury I sustained in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game last preseason was catastrophic and has proven to be critical to continuing to my career. My journey in the NFL has come to a crossroads,” Suisham wrote. “I will mis the challenge of game day and the preparation that is required. Change is hard, but I’m comfortable with where I am in life as a husband and father.”

Although Suisham did not actually say he’s retiring, the statement came across as a retirement announcement. Suisham did not say whether he plans to take legal action against the Steelers, the NFL or the Hall of Fame in order to recoup the millions of dollars of lost future income that a forced retirement will cost him.

Whether Suisham sues or not, it’s incumbent on the NFL to ensure that every stadium where football is played — the 31 home stadiums as well as stadiums that host preseason games, International Series games and the Pro Bowl — is safe. If the Hall of Fame Stadium can’t install turf that’s up to the standards that NFL players demand, then the Hall of Fame Stadium shouldn’t host NFL games.

fordfixer
06-24-2016, 06:39 PM
That should free up a couple million in cap space

8467thekraken
06-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Just enough to sign Arian Foster to a 1 year "prove it" deal.

Shoe
06-24-2016, 09:43 PM
Just enough to sign Arian Foster to a 1 year "prove it" deal.

Sometimes I don't get internet humor. Is this a joke?

8467thekraken
06-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Sometimes I don't get internet humor. Is this a joke?

Wasn't intended to be one, so no, it's not a joke.

But people find humor in the darndest of places.

To explain where I was coming from-

I still get a sick feeling when I think about what might have been if we had been a bit deeper at the RB position the past couple of years.

Not many teams I would like to align myself with if I were Foster and I was seeking a championship. It's quite obvious the guy isn't in a position to demand any sort of large payday. And the Steelers' fortune with RBs in December and beyond has not been good the past couple of seasons. I admit Foster would have zero ST value, which may be a reason the team would not consider him. But if that was overlooked, it would be the best three headed monster in the league in the backfield.

And given the somewhat unknowns of Bells recovery and the nature of asking Williams to deliver a performance like he did last year, again, having Foster would be nice. The team would most likely not even need him until the playoffs anyway. To have a guy of his caliber there at the ready, chomping at the bit to prove to the league that he still has it, would be a special thing to have up the sleeve.

Just my .02

Shoe
06-25-2016, 11:23 PM
Wasn't intended to be one, so no, it's not a joke.

But people find humor in the darndest of places.

To explain where I was coming from-

I still get a sick feeling when I think about what might have been if we had been a bit deeper at the RB position the past couple of years.

Not many teams I would like to align myself with if I were Foster and I was seeking a championship. It's quite obvious the guy isn't in a position to demand any sort of large payday. And the Steelers' fortune with RBs in December and beyond has not been good the past couple of seasons. I admit Foster would have zero ST value, which may be a reason the team would not consider him. But if that was overlooked, it would be the best three headed monster in the league in the backfield.

And given the somewhat unknowns of Bells recovery and the nature of asking Williams to deliver a performance like he did last year, again, having Foster would be nice. The team would most likely not even need him until the playoffs anyway. To have a guy of his caliber there at the ready, chomping at the bit to prove to the league that he still has it, would be a special thing to have up the sleeve.

Just my .02

Ha, well I certainly could imagine it if we already didn't have a veteran, former star in the fold in Williams. All you need behind that, is a young, hungry, up-and-comer type (a guy like Touissant, Todman, Redman). I think the kid we just picked up from Penn State may have that potential.

Oviedo
06-26-2016, 08:33 AM
Arian Foster is done. He has been so battered he likely has nothing left in the tank and likely couldn't make it through a season. makes no sense to sign someone as "injury insurance" when the insurance is likely to be injured.

Jooser
06-26-2016, 11:15 AM
So, I guess from what I read yesterday, Suisham has actually retired. Boswell's salary counts agains the 2+ million that is saved by Suisham's departure, so I think the cap space is estimated at about 1.7 mil or so....

Oviedo
06-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Now let's just hope that Boswell doesn't get "Jeff Reed Disease" aka "Moron-itis" and get stupid when want to give him a long term contract. Boswell has the chance to be a long term solution at kicker.

Slapstick
06-27-2016, 03:39 PM
If Boswell waits 8 years to be a douche, like Reed, I'll be okay with it...

phillyesq
06-27-2016, 03:42 PM
If Boswell waits 8 years to be a douche, like Reed, I'll be okay with it...

Not to mention, Boswell has been nothing but class so far. He even sent a nice shout out to Suisham after he was released.