PDA

View Full Version : Wesleye Saunders...

Slapstick
06-14-2016, 11:27 AM
...coming in for a tryout. The spot was vacated by UDFA Jay Rome being waived.

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2016, 01:16 PM
I don't mind bringing back guys who were good for us in the past (Will Gay, Larry Foote, Willie Williams, Bryant McFadden, etc.), but I don't see the point in bringing back someone who wasn't any good for us in the first place, and still no good when he went elsewhere, plus also has a PED suspension under his belt. Big pass here.

SteelCrazy
06-14-2016, 04:31 PM
I always thought the kid had talent, but why argue the point with "RuthlessBurger"???

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2016, 04:37 PM
I always thought the kid had talent, but why argue the point with "RuthlessBurger"???

Because this is a Steeler message board that is set up for us to give our opinions about Steeler related topics?

:confused:

SteelCrazy
06-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Because this is a Steeler message board that is set up for us to give our opinions about Steeler related topics?

:confused:

Well, if you're going to use logic and reason I'm leaving.....

Slapstick
06-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Well, let's look at who is on the roster right now:

The presumptive 1 and 2 TEs are Green and Spaeth...

After them, we have:
Jesse James - 8 career games (2 starts) 8 rec. 56 yards 1 TD
David Johnson - 82 career games (32 starts) 24 rec. 224 yards 1 TD
Xavier Grimble - no career games
Paul Lang - no career games

Then, for Saunders: 34 career games (11 starts) 10 rec. 90 yards 1 TD

Who would have the best chance to make the roster?

SteelCrazy
06-14-2016, 05:44 PM

After them, we have:

I wouldn't pencil in Spaeth just yet....

Slapstick
06-14-2016, 05:47 PM

My thoughts as well. The Steelers could cut him and save almost $1 million against the cap with only $100K dead money...

fordfixer
06-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Well, if you're going to use logic and reason I'm leaving.....

You mean that's all it takes :D

8467thekraken
06-14-2016, 09:22 PM
As much as Green is getting heavy hype, I see JJ breaking out just as big.

Green never had a season where he hit 20 catches until last year. These two will be platooning the position. It's gonna take breakout years by both of these two to cover what Heath contributed.

I see David Johnson as a game day inactive all season barring injury to one of these two.

The real question is, who is on the PS incase $h!+ really hits the fan at the TE position...

Captain Lemming
06-15-2016, 12:51 AM

Green never had a season where he hit 20 catches until last year. These two will be platooning the position. It's gonna take breakout years by both of these two to cover what Heath contributed.

"Until last year"? Last year is all that matters he is young and getting better.
Plus future HOFer Gates got hurt, making Green the man at the position for 4 games= Opportunity

Weeks 1-4 when Gates was out:
Green had more catches than Heath (19-13)
Green had OVER ONE HUNDRED more yard than Heath (224-117)
Green had DOUBLE the TDs than Heath (2-1)

BTW Green had double Heaths touchdowns for the season....starting four games.

Green and JJ combined cannot come close to matching Heaths leadership value due to youth. Green is also not the blocker Heath is.

But Green LAST SEASON could replace aging Heath as a receiver and then some all by himself.

That speed at tight end with BEN?
Nobody takes advantage of speed like Ben does.

I do like JJ too. He is like a young Heath only LONGER.
My take is that With Green and a more experienced JJ the position will be MUCH improved overall.
I don't like platooning as much as lots of 2 tight end sets

Bell already owns Heaths old security blanket role so our athletic young tight ends can run deeper routes

Imagine the goal line with all that size and athleticism?

Speedy Green, 6'7" JJ, as two tight ends, tall running back in Bell, tall strong Coates, and one small quick uncoverable smurf in Brown, With our giant QB able to pick his poison!

The key is Green healing and PLEASE let the Bell skipping a drug test "rumor" prove untrue.

Oviedo
06-15-2016, 08:22 AM

I think very much they are looking for a "cheaper" option to Spaeth who could very well be the #3 TE this year. He has a $1.1M cap hit per the attached link.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

Oviedo
06-15-2016, 08:26 AM

I see David Johnson as a game day inactive all season barring injury to one of these two.

The real question is, who is on the PS incase $h!+ really hits the fan at the TE position...

Keep in mind that David Johnson did not play TE last time he was here. They used him as an H-back and he sucked at that too. He was a previous waste of a roster spot...don't need to do it again.

8467thekraken
06-15-2016, 08:27 AM
"Until last year"? Last year is all that matters he is young and getting better.
Plus future HOFer Gates got hurt, making Green the man at the position for 4 games= Opportunity

Weeks 1-4 when Gates was out:
Green had more catches than Heath (19-13)
Green had OVER ONE HUNDRED more yard than Heath (224-117)
Green had DOUBLE the TDs than Heath (2-1)

BTW Green had double Heaths touchdowns for the season....starting four games.

Green and JJ combined cannot come close to matching Heaths leadership value due to youth. Green is also not the blocker Heath is.

But Green LAST SEASON could replace aging Heath as a receiver and then some all by himself.

That speed at tight end with BEN?
Nobody takes advantage of speed like Ben does.

I do like JJ too. He is like a young Heath only LONGER.
My take is that With Green and a more experienced JJ the position will be MUCH improved overall.
I don't like platooning as much as lots of 2 tight end sets

Bell already owns Heaths old security blanket role so our athletic young tight ends can run deeper routes

Imagine the goal line with all that size and athleticism?

Speedy Green, 6'7" JJ, as two tight ends, tall running back in Bell, tall strong Coates, and one small quick uncoverable smurf in Brown, With our giant QB able to pick his poison!

The key is Green healing and PLEASE let the Bell skipping a drug test "rumor" prove untrue.

You can pro-rate numbers all you want. Historically speaking, Green has not shown that he can be the man.

That is why I said it will take a combined effort from both him and JJ to handle the TE duties.

Am I hoping he will have that breakout season everyone is talking about? Of course.

But the dude still isn't healthy. He has a bit of a history of staying healthy. He hasn't even played a full season in two of the past three years.
He could never wrestle the starting job from an aging Gates.
And OBVIOUSLY he can't replace Miller's leadership role. That's why I only brought the point up from a statistical objective.

But if you think Green is gonna come in here and put up a 76 catch, 896 yard, 8 TD season-well-your being quite unfair to the young man.

Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Nope.

But I think between both him and JJ those numbers can be produced. And that would be awesome in my book.

Captain Lemming
06-15-2016, 09:27 AM
You can pro-rate numbers all you want. Historically speaking, Green has not shown that he can be the man.

That is why I said it will take a combined effort from both him and JJ to handle the TE duties.

Am I hoping he will have that breakout season everyone is talking about? Of course.

But the dude still isn't healthy. He has a bit of a history of staying healthy. He hasn't even played a full season in two of the past three years.
He could never wrestle the starting job from an aging Gates.
And OBVIOUSLY he can't replace Miller's leadership role. That's why I only brought the point up from a statistical objective.

But if you think Green is gonna come in here and put up a 76 catch, 896 yard, 8 TD season-well-your being quite unfair to the young man.

Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Nope.

But I think between both him and JJ those numbers can be produced. And that would be awesome in my book.

What is LIKELY is for Green to best Millers production which IS the topic.
He bested Millers scoring LAST SEASON starting 4 games. More TDs than Miller has had since 2012.

8467thekraken
06-15-2016, 11:05 AM
What is LIKELY is for Green to best Millers production which IS the topic.

Oh... WELL in that CASE...:roll:

He bested Millers scoring LAST SEASON starting 4 games. More TDs than Miller has had since 2012.

phillyesq
06-15-2016, 02:17 PM

After them, we have:

I actually seen Green and James as the presumptive roster locks. I think Spaeth sticks because they really like his blocking, but if he is dinged up again, I could see them going with David Johnson (pains me to say it). I'd bet on Grimble for the PS - I've heard some buzz on him, but he sounds more like more of a receiving TE - unlikely that they keep another receiving TE on the active roster.

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2016, 03:14 PM
I actually seen Green and James as the presumptive roster locks. I think Spaeth sticks because they really like his blocking, but if he is dinged up again, I could see them going with David Johnson (pains me to say it). I'd bet on Grimble for the PS - I've heard some buzz on him, but he sounds more like more of a receiving TE - unlikely that they keep another receiving TE on the active roster.

Yup...what he said.

Green and James are your TE1 and TE2. If healthy, Spaeth returns as a situational blocking TE3. If he's not healthy, that job most likely reverts back to board-favorite Johnson. Grimble a candidate for the P.S. I don't see a spot anywhere for Saunders, even if he were to be signed to our 90 man offseason roster.

SteelCrazy
07-21-2016, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't pencil in Spaeth just yet....because of his bum knee

I fixed it for myself.