PDA

View Full Version : Steelers WR Sammie Coates 'turned it up a notch' this offseason

Jooser
06-12-2016, 11:31 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/19085/steelers-wr-sammie-coates-turned-it-up-a-notch-this-offseason

Steelers WR Sammie Coates 'turned it up a notch' this offseason
Jun 8, 2016
Jeremy Fowler

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers sound like they're expecting a second-year leap from wide receiver Sammie Coates, the third-round pick who played sparingly as a rookie.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley spoke to the media this week during organized team activities and praised Coates' progress.

"He’s had a tremendous offseason,” Haley said. “A guy that any day you were in here, he was in here. You don’t see that with everybody, so you know he had turned it up a notch. I thought he finished the year in strong fashion; it wasn’t an easy year. It’s not an easy year for a guy that’s been playing in the NCAA at a high level to be running scout team. But as the year went on, I think everybody saw him growing and we saw it continue in the offseason and it's continued out here. He understands that there’s great opportunity.”

Coates has kept his fitness in "peak condition," said Haley, who coaches receivers and has played an integral role in the team's development in that area.

The Steelers are outwardly pushing to have the best offense in the league. They want to jump two spots in the rankings after finishing third in total offense a year ago with 6,327 yards, and anything less will be considered a disappointment.

To do so, the Steelers will need Coates to emerge as a valuable role player in the game plan.

The franchise put up a united front after the Martavis Bryant suspension, pointing to Coates as a playmaker to offset losing Bryant for the season.

Coates played on the scout team for much of last season, but he emerged in a playoff loss to Denver with three catches for 61 yards. Coates entered the league a bit raw as a route runner. The team thinks he has made improvements in this area.

In March, Coates detailed how dietary changes and marriage helped mature his football approach.

"I can't come in slow," Coates said about this season. "I have to come in fast and ready to go."

Good report, we're gonna need him to step in big this year. Look forward to him hauling in a bomb from BB. Hopefully they work on their timing like Martavis and Ben were doing last offseason.

Shoe
06-12-2016, 02:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/19085/steelers-wr-sammie-coates-turned-it-up-a-notch-this-offseason

Good report, we're gonna need him to step in big this year. Look forward to him hauling in a bomb from BB. Hopefully they work on their timing like Martavis and Ben were doing last offseason.

I'm optimistic! Man, imagine if Coates becomes as good a WR as his numbers suggest. Our WR scouts and coaches should get a 500% raise, for all the prime mid-round talent we've developed (from AB to Sanders to Bryant...)

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Coates is a different WR than Bryant. I consider Bryant to be a deep threat with a body similar to Randy Moss, while Coates is more of an intermediate threat with a body similar to Terrell Owens.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Coates is a different WR than Bryant. I consider Bryant to be a deep threat with a body similar to Randy Moss, while Coates is more of an intermediate threat with a body similar to Terrell Owens.

If he can live up to that comparison (as far as his on-field performance), then that will be fine!

SidSmythe
06-12-2016, 07:21 PM

I agree...while I can see COATES getting deep sometimes, he doesn't have the deceptive long stride like BRYANT does.
So who does that leave to be our deep threat this season??

Iron City Inc.
06-12-2016, 07:54 PM
We'll be fine if Coates can play the Z leaving Wheaton in the slot where he is a tough match up for most nickle corners n trouble for a S. Coates has enough tools to be productive this year. Coates will be one of the keys to the O.

Shoe
06-12-2016, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I feel the same way. I mean, I won't attribute his name to T.O. just yet, but he seems more like potentially a bigger, faster Markus Wheaton. After watching Martavis for two years now, I'm convinced that that guy is just a freaky-level player and athlete--the way he can accelerate for his size is crazy.

Captain Lemming
06-13-2016, 09:08 AM

While I get the point about body type Coates IS faster than Owens an absolutely is a deeps threat because of it. Dude had a 20 yard average in college. Heck a deep threat is ALL he was. Here is scouting report. Notice the pre-draft NFL Comparison:

OVERVIEW

Finished his career with a yards-per-reception average of 20.9. In 2014, named second-team All-SEC and was a Senior Bowl invitee. Dominated in loss to Alabama with 5 receptions for 206 yards and 2 touchdowns. In 2013, started 12-of-14 games he played in and averaged 54.1 yards per touchdown reception. Played in 11 games in 2012. Redshirted in 2011 after suffering foot injury that required surgery before season started. Led Leroy High School (Ala.) to Class 2A State Championship, earning MVP honors with 5 catches for 60 yards and 2 touchdowns.

STRENGTHS

Looks the part. Long legs with well-proportioned frame. Outstanding combination of size and speed. Good acceleration off the snap for a receiver with his length. Can take top off defense and open up the underneath. Will beat bold cornerbacks over the top if they wait to turn and run. Forces cornerbacks onto their heels and gets easy, open looks on dig routes. Makes easy in-cut with maximum separation. Ability to win big plays vertically. Saved best performances for big games. Put 206 yards and two touchdowns on Alabama in 2014.

WEAKNESSES

Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3

NFL COMPARISON

Martavis Bryant

BOTTOM LINE

Big, fast and raw. Vertical wide receiver with the ability to hit big plays and have dominant games. Coates must be coached to trust his quarterback and run through his deep routes in order to reach his potential. He has early round traits and late-round receiving skills right now, but the upside will be hard to pass on and could pay off in a big way. He will be tethered to the JUGS machine in rookie camp.

Captain Lemming
06-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I feel the same way. I mean, I won't attribute his name to T.O. just yet, but he seems more like potentially a bigger, faster Markus Wheaton. After watching Martavis for two years now, I'm convinced that that guy is just a freaky-level player and athlete--the way he can accelerate for his size is crazy.

I do agree with the comments about Bryant having rare freakish talent. I think more than just speed dude is elusive like a small guy on top of his speed and height. I don't expect Coates to be exactly the same. But he IS a legit deep threat, without near Bryant's elusiveness, but with greater strength.

Slapstick
06-13-2016, 10:06 AM
I do agree with the comments about Bryant having rare freakish talent. I think more than just speed dude is elusive like a small guy on top of his speed and height. I don't expect Coates to be exactly the same. But he IS a legit deep threat, without near Bryant's elusiveness, but with greater strength.

I agree. While both are fast, I think Coates will have DBs bouncing off of him and will run through tackles while Bryant will not be touched...

SteelCrazy
06-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Coates will be better then Bryant, but for one year, they'll be on the field together ifffffffffffff.....

phillyesq
06-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Bryant is is crazy physical talent, but Coates is no slouch. He's big and fast. Everything I've read about him this year has said that he's really prepared himself to come in and succeed this year. He won't replace Bryant completely - nobody will - but I think he'll be a very nice piece.

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2016, 10:18 AM
I agree...while I can see COATES getting deep sometimes, he doesn't have the deceptive long stride like BRYANT does.
So who does that leave to be our deep threat this season??

If we get the right matchup, I think we can send TE Ladarius Green deep quite a bit...we could utilize our TE's a bit differently than we did with Heath.

Captain Lemming
06-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Bryant is is crazy physical talent, but Coates is no slouch. He's big and fast. Everything I've read about him this year has said that he's really prepared himself to come in and succeed this year. He won't replace Bryant completely - nobody will - but I think he'll be a very nice piece.

Agreed completely

Captain Lemming
06-14-2016, 03:17 PM
If we get the right matchup, I think we can send TE Ladarius Green deep quite a bit...we could utilize our TE's a bit differently than we did with Heath.

Good point...

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Todd Haley sees “night and day” difference in Sammie Coates
Posted by Josh Alper on August 3, 2016, 6:44 AM EDT

When Antonio Brown missed last season’s playoff loss to the Broncos, the Steelers gave Sammie Coates playing time and he responded with two catches for 61 yards.

That was twice as many catches as Coates made during a regular season that saw Coates play sparingly after arriving to the team in lackluster condition. Things are different this summer, though.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley said, via Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports, that the difference in the receiver is “night and day” heading into his second NFL season. Haley said Coates “got his mind right” along with his conditioning over the course of the 2015 season and that working with the scout team benefitted him.

“I don’t think you could’ve asked for a better scenario for him,” Haley said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Everybody has something dirty about their job, and he had a dirty job running the ‘show’ team every day and got his butt beat up by the first-team defense.”

All of that leaves Coates in position to nab a role in the offense this year. Martavis Bryant’s suspension opens up snaps at receiver with Brown and Markus Wheaton that Coates has been taking during early training camp practices. If all continues on the same path, we should get to see a lot more of Coates this year than we did when he was a rookie.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/03/todd-haley-sees-night-and-day-difference-in-sammie-coates/

SteelerOfDeVille
08-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Bryant makes me think Chris Henry more than Randy Moss - in more ways than one....

Coates Meh... I get the strength making you want the TO comp, but, TO was 20 lbs bigger (TO played at 225) and was actually FASTER than Coates... At 38, he had slowed to Coates' speed (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1287123-terrell-owens-stuns-critics-with-incredible-40-yard-dash-time) (mid 4.4's). Probably too early for an NFL comp on him... but, heck, I'd take Kenny Britt at this point - lol

Slapstick
08-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Owens ran slower than Coates at least at the combine, IIRC...

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Bryant makes me think Chris Henry more than Randy Moss - in more ways than one....

Coates Meh... I get the strength making you want the TO comp, but, TO was 20 lbs bigger (TO played at 225) and was actually FASTER than Coates... At 38, he had slowed to Coates' speed (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1287123-terrell-owens-stuns-critics-with-incredible-40-yard-dash-time) (mid 4.4's). Probably too early for an NFL comp on him... but, heck, I'd take Kenny Britt at this point - lol

I was just making body type comparisons...in no way was I trying to compare the on field game of our 2 young'uns to a couple of wideouts who will be getting HoF consideration soon.

Oviedo
08-03-2016, 02:42 PM

Green could create some interesting match up challenges. Do you cover him with a LB who he can outrun or a Safety who you have to pull out of the box helping delayed hand offs and the running games. I just hope he gets healthy and on the field soon.

Shawn
08-03-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm a big Sammy Coates fan. I think at the end of the day, when all the smoke clears Coates will prove to be the better WR of the two. Maybe not this year but certainly by next. He is truly physical in his play and route running. He looks like a TE running at WR speed. It also appears that he is taking his pro career more seriously than Bryant which is obviously important. I think Sammy becomes a fan favorite by season end.

Shawn
08-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Some interesting metrics on Sammy Coates...97th percentile Catch Radius, 97th percentile burst score, 89th percentile height adjusted speed score, and 85th percentile speed. All this while above average agility as well. After his sophomore season he was projected as a first round pick. He fell to the third after his production his junior year fell off for whatever reason.

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Sammie Coates poised to become Steelers’ next draft steal at receiver
Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2016, 11:52 AM EDT

The Steelers have developed in recent years an uncanny ability to find quality receivers in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft.

Since wasting a second-round pick on Limas Sweed in 2008, the Steelers have consistently found great receivers without picking any in the first two rounds, from third-rounder Mike Wallace in 2009 to third-rounder Emmanuel Sanders in 2010 to sixth-rounder Antonio Brown in 2010 to third-rounder Markus Wheaton in 2013 to fourth-rounder Martavis Bryant in 2014. Now, with Wallace and Sanders long gone via free agency and Bryant serving a one-year suspension, 2015 third-rounder Sammie Coates has a chance to shine.

Via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Coates soon could be. He has shown great promise in camp, and there’s a growing belief he’ll thrive when it’s time to play games that count.

“I wanted to come in and be ready to play,” Coates said, via Dulac. “You can’t come in half way. I came in ready with the attitude like, I’m coming in to help the team win. That’s the attitude I have this year.”

Coates has been using his size (6-1, 212 pounds) and speed to make contested catches, and he has shed his reputation from Auburn for dropping the ball.

“The offense I was in [at Auburn], you didn’t get a lot of targets, so if I dropped one it was like the end of the world,” Coates said.

He could be in position to get a lot more targets this year, if he plays like he has been practicing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/sammie-coates-poised-to-become-steelers-next-draft-steal-at-receiver/

Rara
08-09-2016, 07:52 PM
I hope all for the best with Coates. Damn would it be nice next year to have a three headed monster at wide out with Brown (getting extended by then), Bryant (learning his lesson from his one year suspension) and Coates (I think Coates will do better than Wheaton)

BradshawsHairdresser
08-09-2016, 08:13 PM
I hope all for the best with Coates. Damn would it be nice next year to have a three headed monster at wide out with Brown (getting extended by then), Bryant (learning his lesson from his one year suspension) and Coates (I think Coates will do better than Wheaton)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

K Train
08-10-2016, 10:04 AM
I really thought he was going round 1 to the pats....love the pick, love the potential

hausparty
08-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Coates is a beast! Had the joy of watching him at training camp and he is the REAL DEAL! Sky is the limit for this offense