PDA

View Full Version : Lions and Steelers to get together for joint practices

Jooser
06-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Lions and Steelers to get together for joint practices

The Lions aren’t philosophically opposed to joint workouts with other teams, they just haven’t done it as long as Jim Caldwell’s been coaching there.

That changes this year, as the Lions have scheduled joint workouts with the Steelers, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

“We’ve looked at it every year,” Caldwell said. “And I’ve talked to several coaches and, sometimes, it didn’t fit, depending on when they wanted to work — if they wanted to work during the last week or the third week. Sometimes it just doesn’t blend together as well.”

They’ll practice together prior to playing each other in the exhibition opener on Aug. 12, with two days of practices on Aug. 9-10 at the Steelers camp in Latrobe, Pa.

It makes sense for the Lions, since half of their opponents play 3-4 defenses like Pittsburgh, and Caldwell and Tomlin have known each other for years, since they worked on the same Buccaneers staff in 2001.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/03/lions-and-steelers-to-get-together-for-joint-practices/

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2016, 12:06 AM
By Mike Florio
August 8, 2016, 9:39 PM EDT
Glover Quin says Lions won’t be bullied in joint practices with Steelers

With teams practicing alone for the first week or so of camp, the time has come for joint practices between different franchises. Which means that there could be fireworks at some of the sessions.

The Lions and Steelers will be getting together, and Detroit safety Glover Quin has a message for Pittsburgh’s players.

“We’re going to practice,” Quin said, via CBS Detroit. “We’re going to practice how we practice. It is what it is. We ain’t gonna get bullied, put it like that.”

The bullying tends to happen, according to Quin, when guys starting acting “crazy.”

“They’re always fun until somebody starts acting crazy and people start acting crazy and then everybody starts acting crazy,” Quin said. “Hopefully we can go down there and get some good work because they’ve got some really good offensive players who we want to get some good work against, and they’ve got some good defensive guys who we want to get some work with. . . . So hopefully no one’s acting crazy.”

Sometimes, guys act crazy during the joint practices. Whether things get out of hand depend in large part on whether the coaches are properly in control of their teams.

This year, the Cowboys opted not to hold joint practices with the Rams, despite the proximity of their respective camps. Last year, a visit by the Rams to Cowboys camp in Oxnard triggered an ugly brouhaha.

Making fights during joint sessions more likely is the fact that the media, bored with the mundane chatter of guys in their best shape ever having chips on their shoulder yada yada, tends to make a big deal out of the altercations. Which makes some players more inclined to start trouble.

squidkid
08-09-2016, 02:58 PM
i bet bell will be the first one there

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Players ready for a change at practice
Posted 8 hours ago

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers will go against the Detroit Lions the next two days in Latrobe. QB Ben Roethlisberger not practicing.

LATROBE, Pa. – Steelers’ practice will take on a whole new look today at Saint Vincent College, because they won’t be the only ones out on the field.

For the next two days the Steelers and Detroit Lions will hold joint practices in advance of their preseason game at Heinz Field on Friday night.

“You get to go against a different group, a different offensive coordinator,” said cornerback William Gay. “It’s good to get that. It puts you in that preseason, season mode. We aren’t going Steelers vs. Steelers when the season starts.

“Most important it just helps getting another idea, another offense, and another defense for our offense. You are going through the different scenarios, challenges you are faced with during the season. You get to have that in practice where it doesn’t count, or you can hit the reset button. I am glad we are doing it. We did it against the Bills and it was fun and it’s going to be fun these two days.”

Joint practices have gained popularity in the NFL over the last five years, an opportunity for teams who have already been in a camp for a few weeks to break the monotony and gain valuable practice time.

This will mark the second time the Steelers have held a joint practice under Coach Mike Tomlin. The Steelers held two joint practices against the Buffalo Bills at Saint Vincent College in 2014.

“It does get old going against your same teammates,” said linebacker Lawrence Timmons. “They have different players, new faces, so it’s always fun when you go against other folks.

“You don’t want to hit your own teammates, but we want to go out here and make ourselves better.”

While Gay and Timmons have experienced joint practices, running back DeAngelo Williams will be taking part in one for the first time.

“This is 11 years I have been in the National Football League and the first year I have had a joint practice,” said Williams. “I have inquired from some of the guys. They said it’s no different from a regular practice. When you are in practice and surrounded with your guys, you try and take care of your guys. When you have another tam come in here do you treat it like a game type situation or what?

“I am trying to get a feel for how that is going to go. It’s just another challenge we have to answer.”

The Steelers will practice against the Lions on Tuesday, Aug. 9 at 2:55 p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 10 at 5:15 p.m. at Saint Vincent College. Gates and parking lots each day will open three hours before the start of each practice.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not taking part in Monday afternoon's practice. Roethlisberger has an excused absence.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Players-ready-for-a-change-at-practice/a6550f2a-bcee-472e-84ce-bd994efe7806

Rara
08-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Darius Slay got slayed by Antonio Brown today during practice. Haha.

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2016, 09:34 PM
Darius Slay got slayed by Antonio Brown today during practice. Haha.

Slay is one of the best CB's in the league...just doesn't get the hype that guys like Josh Norman or Richard Sherman get.

K Train
08-10-2016, 10:06 AM
I like that some of these guys get to matchup against Ziggy Ansah and Larry Warford

RuthlessBurgher
08-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Darius Slay on practicing against Antonio Brown: He tried to kill me
Posted by Josh Alper on August 10, 2016, 6:57 AM EDT

The Lions and Steelers practiced together on Tuesday, which meant that Lions cornerback Darius Slay got a chance to match up against Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown.

Slay’s day ended with the cornerback saying he needs to do a better job when the teams do more joint work on Wednesday. Brown got the best of Slay in a variety of settings, including three straight go routes that led to a pair of touchdowns for the Steelers wideout and a post route that led Brown to tell the Steelers sideline that he was “killing” Slay. Slay didn’t disagree with that assessment when he spoke to reporters after practice.

“Oh man, the first one I said I expected that for the crowd, that was cool,” Slay said, via the Detroit Free Press. “But three of them in a row I was like, ‘Oh my goodness, I’m already fitting to die here.’ Like, ‘Come on, you’re going to run another deep route?’ He said, ‘I’m going deep all day Slay.’ I said, ‘No you cannot. I’m not fitting to go with you more today. Not today.’ He tried to kill me, man.”

Slay said that he’s never seen a receiver like Brown — Slay played four snaps when the two teams met in 2013 — and had to adjust his style to a player who is “shifty and can make big-time plays.” Slay also called Brown “the best in the business,” an opinion he shares with plenty of others who have tried to stop Brown.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/10/darius-slay-on-practicing-against-antonio-brown-he-tried-to-kill-me/

pittpete
08-10-2016, 11:16 AM
i bet bell will be the first one there

Hahahaha LOL i thought the same thing...

RuthlessBurgher
08-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Steelers will sit a bunch of starters Friday
Posted by Zac Jackson on August 10, 2016, 12:10 PM EDT

The Steelers won’t play a bunch of starters and other notable players in Friday night’s preseason opener vs. the Lions.

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin told reporters Wednesday that the list of players who will sit includes quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, running backs Le’Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams, wide receivers Antonio Brown and Markus Wheaton, center Maurkice Pouncey and first-round rookie cornerback Artie Burns.

Bell is facing a four-game suspension to start the regular season, and Williams is proven as his backup so the Steelers don’t need to take any chances. Pouncey is being brought back slowly after missing all of last season, and there’s simply no reason to risk it with the others.

Burns has been out since early in camp due to injury. The Steelers have a few young defensive backs, including rookie Sean Davis and second-year man Doran Grant, who need extra reps and will get them Friday.

The Steelers and Lions held two days of joint practices this week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/10/steelers-will-sit-a-bunch-of-starters-friday/

RuthlessBurgher
08-10-2016, 09:36 PM
By Mike Florio
August 10, 2016, 8:14 PM EDT
Antonio Brown nearly ejected from joint practice for conduct toward official

With officials now encouraged to eject players from games whose behavior crosses the line, they nearly got some practice during a joint training-camp session between the Lions and Steelers.

Via Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Steelers receiver Antonio Brown was nearly ejected for his behavior toward an official hired to work the practice.

According to Adamski, Brown would have been ejected from a normal game, and the official plans to report Brown to the league office. Typically, however, the league office takes a hands-off approach to things that occur during training-camp practice, deferring instead to the team.

But if the team won’t do anything, the league office should — especially when people other than team employees are the targets of the misbehavior.

The Man of Steel
08-11-2016, 02:55 AM
"We talking bout practice."

RuthlessBurgher
08-11-2016, 03:38 PM
2016-08-10 8:23 PM | Mike Prisuta
Practice Report: The return of Big Ben

LATROBE, Pa. - A breakdown of Practice No. 11 at Saint Vincent College:

RED ZONE: QB Ben Roethlisberger was back for Round 2 against Detroit after missing Tuesday's joint practice with the Detroit Lions due to an excused absence for personal reasons.

When the ball was placed in the red zone, Roethlisberger did his best to make sure it ended up in the end zone.

He hit TE Jesse James for a 20-yard TD on which James made a contested catch over LB Tahir Whitehead.

Roethlisberger's second throw in the drill missed TE David Johnson in the back of the end zone from 17 yards away.

From there, Roethlisberger connected with WR Darrius Heyward-Bey for a touchdown on a slant route out of an empty set from the 7-yard line, and with WR Antonio Brown at the goal line pylon for a 3-yard score out of another empty set.

BACKS-ON-'BACKERS: The Steelers' backs and tight ends met the Lions' linebackers while the Detroit running backs and tight ends opposed the Pittsburgh LBs in simultaneous action.

The Steelers' offensive players won 13 of 25 reps (unofficial count) and their defensive players were successful 16 of 23 times (unofficial count).

Running backs coach James Saxon gave RB Brandon Brown-Dukes a chance to make amends after an unsuccessful rep against LB Kyle Van Noy.

"Get up here again," Saxon ordered.

Van Noy wasn't interested in a rematch, but Brown-Dukes got the better of LB Antwione Williams on the following rep.

TWO-MINUTE DRILL: QB Landry Jones ran the first-team offense and was unsuccessful in moving the ball 54 yards for a touchdown in 1:23 with one timeout at his disposal.

Jones completed five of nine passes for 51 yards on the march, including a 3-yard gain to Brown on fourth-and-2 from 26-yard line. Jones' incompletions were a clock-stopping spike, a drop by WR Sammie Coates and a 23-yard pass to the back of the end zone that Brown caught but was judged to have been out of bounds by the visiting officials.

The last snap occurred from the 23 with :01 on the clock and resulted in a shallow cross to Brown, who was stopped at the 3.

MEDICAL FILE: Head coach Mike Tomlin didn't meet with the media after practice so no injury updates were forthcoming. WR Markus Wheaton, CB Artie Burns, LB Travis Feeney, LB Bud Dupree, C Maurkice Pouncey, OT Jerald Hawkins and LB Jarvis Jones didn't practice. S/CB Sean Davis started practice but didn't finish. True to his daily ritual, Davis stood next to defensive backs coach Carnell Lake when not participating in drills, even though Davis had his shoulder pads off and his left knee wrapped in ice for the latter part of practice.

AUDIBLES: "They don't want none of this." - Unidentified Lions RB after "Backs-on-'Backers" was temporarily delayed because a Steelers LB was slow to get in position for a rep.

"Oh yeah, they do." - Steelers outside linebackers coach Joey Porter just before LB Tyler Matakevich hurried into position and allowed "Backs-on-'Backers to continue.