PDA

View Full Version : Markus Wheaton: Not having Heath Miller’s “scares me a little bit”

Jooser
06-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Markus Wheaton: Not having Heath Miller’s “scares me a little bit”

Posted by Josh Alper on June 3, 2016, 7:33 AM EDT

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said this week that he wants to see the team’s young receivers “take the next step” while Martavis Bryant serves his year-long suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Bryant isn’t the only major offensive piece from last season who will be missing in 2016. Tight end Heath Miller decided to hang up the cleats after 11 seasons in Pittsburgh.

Miller was a reliable target for Roethlisberger through the air and his long stay in Pittsburgh also made him a go-to player when teammates had questions about the offense. Wide receiver Markus Wheaton told Alex Marvez and Phil Savage on Sirius XM NFL Radio that Miller helped him out when he was “unsure” about anything on the field and that he’ll miss the longtime Steeler even while he tries to play the same role for new tight end Ladarius Green.

“Not having him there scares me a little bit,” Wheaton said. “That’s really what’s motivated me to really pick up the offensive protections and really know the playbook in and out. I won’t have Heath there anymore. I’ll have a new guy that’s new to our system that I’ll probably be helping out the way Heath helped me out.”

Wheaton is heading into his fourth year with the Steelers, so he should have a good enough grasp of the offense to know his role and enough about the overall plan to give Green any pointers that the veteran might need. The Steelers will likely still miss Miller because 11 years and nearly 600 catches have a way of leaving a big impression on an offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/03/markus-wheaton-not-having-heath-millers-scares-me-a-little-bit/

BradshawsHairdresser
06-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Heath leaves a big hole, not just because of his receiving and blocking, but because of all the little things he did so well to contribute to the team effort. Everyone seems to think the offense is going to move right on without missing a beat, even though Heath and Martavis are gone from last season. I'm not so sure. Hopefully, they get everything ironed out early on, and have a tremendous year. It should help to have Bell back; he needs to stay healthy.

RuthlessBurgher
06-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Heath leaves a big hole, not just because of his receiving and blocking, but because of all the little things he did so well to contribute to the team effort. Everyone seems to think the offense is going to move right on without missing a beat, even though Heath and Martavis are gone from last season. I'm not so sure. Hopefully, they get everything ironed out early on, and have a tremendous year. It should help to have Bell back; he needs to stay healthy.

If Ben, Brown, Bell, and Pouncey are all healthy again...sky's the limit...those are 4 of the best in the league at their respective positions and our offensive was still pretty darn good last season in spite of injuries to each of them.

Captain Lemming
06-03-2016, 10:09 PM
While I understand the comments as a respect thing......am I the only one who feels there is something "weak" about that comment?
I think a tiny bit of confidence bordering on arrogance that serves a player well that a comment like this lacks.

skyhawk
06-06-2016, 09:48 PM
And let's remember the Ben said Heath is the best football player he has ever played with. That's a hell of an endorsement. I am a little scared too. Heath has won at every level he has ever played. Much of that is on him. He is that good. On and off the field and in the locker room.

feltdizz
06-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Heath was great... but c'mon.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-07-2016, 04:40 PM

Hater.

:D

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-07-2016, 05:16 PM
We have always lauded this organization for the way that older players mentor the younger ones. Now, when a younger player talks about the transition that he will have to make from pupil to mentor, it shows weakness? Let us first see how it plays out. Changing roles within the team structure can always be tough. I would prefer a young player who is deferential to those vets who can help him out rather than a brash rook who already thinks he can do it all. Putting in the work that will help him will have much more value than cockiness.

phillyesq
06-07-2016, 05:40 PM

Tony Gonzalez
Jason Witten
Shannon Sharpe
Antonio Gates
Ozzie Newsome

That is the the exhaustive list of TEs with more career receptions than Heath. He was a rock on offense for a lot of years.

RuthlessBurgher
06-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Tony Gonzalez
Jason Witten
Shannon Sharpe
Antonio Gates
Ozzie Newsome

That is the the exhaustive list of TEs with more career receptions than Heath. He was a rock on offense for a lot of years.

All five of those guys could be wearing gold jackets one day.

Captain Lemming
06-07-2016, 11:09 PM
We have always lauded this organization for the way that older players mentor the younger ones. Now, when a younger player talks about the transition that he will have to make from pupil to mentor, it shows weakness? Let us first see how it plays out. Changing roles within the team structure can always be tough. I would prefer a young player who is deferential to those vets who can help him out rather than a brash rook who already thinks he can do it all. Putting in the work that will help him will have much more value than cockiness.

"We will miss him but this team will be fine" Awesome.
"Dude was crucial to my development as a young player" (which is part of his comments). Great. Respectful as you said.

"Scares me a little bit?" Really?

A couple of years ago do you EVER imagine a remote possibility that Brown says, "Losing Hines Ward scares me a little bit"?

Captain Lemming
06-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Jumping from a plane?
Venomous snakes?
Walking a tightrope without a net?
Actual Lions? (not the Detroit kind)
Swimming with white sharks or crocs?

All legit scenarios where I don't mind seeing a football player say "that scares me a little bit".

Nearly ANY FOOTBALL RELATED SITUATION the comment "scares me a little bit" is just not a good look for a football player.

Concussions might be an exception but if you say it you might as well walk away.

Slapstick
06-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Umm...okay. That's cool.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Words, blah blah from a 20+ year old don't mean diddly. It's not like he's dissing a teammate or promoting something illegal.

There are too many microphones/twitter accounts in front of too many kids with a lot of money all of a sudden in their pocket. It's pretty predictable that not everyone is going to be happy with what they hear/read.

Can't wait for some football, this off-season is getting old.

birtikidis
06-08-2016, 01:48 PM
"We will miss him but this team will be fine" Awesome.
"Dude was crucial to my development as a young player" (which is part of his comments). Great. Respectful as you said.

"Scares me a little bit?" Really?

A couple of years ago do you EVER imagine a remote possibility that Brown says, "Losing Hines Ward scares me a little bit"?
Apples to Oranges. Wheaton is not a TE and there is nothing he can do to replace what a TE does. You expect a receiver to step up and replace a receiver. That's what players do.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Words, blah blah from a 20+ year old don't mean diddly. It's not like he's dissing a teammate or promoting something illegal.

$$$$$$$$
Yeah, c'mon, Wheaton might not have made the best choice of words, but does anyone really think he is actually filled with terror over the thought of Heath not being on the field? Guess some of you would take what he said to mean he wakes up in cold sweats in the middle of the night worrying about it, or may not be able to bring himself to step out on the field because of it. I take it to mean, "There may be a bit of discomfort/uncertainty as we have to adjust to playing without Heath."

Captain Lemming
06-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Apples to Oranges. Wheaton is not a TE and there is nothing he can do to replace what a TE does. You expect a receiver to step up and replace a receiver. That's what players do.

Not just "Apples to Apples". How bout, "Three inch diameter, Red delicious apples from farmer Joes farm in Eastern Washington to "Three inch diameter, Red delicious apples from farmer Joes farm in Eastern Washington" comparison.

Never mind Hines.
Antonio Brown never would say he is "scared" of losing HEATH MILLER, which he could just as easily have said.

Captain Lemming
06-11-2016, 10:53 PM
$$$$$$$$
Yeah, c'mon, Wheaton might not have made the best choice of words, but does anyone really think he is actually filled with terror over the thought of Heath not being on the field? Guess some of you would take what he said to mean he wakes up in cold sweats in the middle of the night worrying about it, or may not be able to bring himself to step out on the field because of it. I take it to mean, "There may be a bit of discomfort/uncertainty as we have to adjust to playing without Heath."

You miss my point. Wheat just seems to lack the "swagger" that most elite receivers and corners have. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that HE said that.

Don't get me wrong, I value humility in people, heck if I were to guess based on their actions I would more likely befriend Wheat and dislike Brown personally. I'm not saying it makes Wheat a bad dude.

With all of the Ali news.....arrogance (at times ugly arrogance) was a key to his success.

I saw Wheat as almost too calm when Bryant blew past him to take away the starting job.
Even now when there is all this talk of Coates how bout a little, "I'm the vet and I will treat the position as mine until the kid rips it from me".

As much as I hated the "young money" thing, I wish Wheat had some of that.

Frankly, he feels like he has an ideal backup mentality.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-11-2016, 11:51 PM
You miss my point. Wheat just seems to lack the "swagger" that most elite receivers and corners have. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that HE said that.

Don't get me wrong, I value humility in people, heck if I were to guess based on their actions I would more likely befriend Wheat and dislike Brown personally. I'm not saying it makes Wheat a bad dude.

With all of the Ali news.....arrogance (at times ugly arrogance) was a key to his success.

I saw Wheat as almost too calm when Bryant blew past him to take away the starting job.
Even now when there is all this talk of Coates how bout a little, "I'm the vet and I will treat the position as mine until the kid rips it from me".

As much as I hated the "young money" thing, I wish Wheat had some of that.

Frankly, he feels like he has an ideal backup mentality.

Humility didn't seem to hurt Heath. Or Troy. Or Stallworth. Or Chuck Noll.

Talent is important. Confidence is needed, sure. But arrogance? I think for most players, it's an overrated attribute.

Slapstick
06-12-2016, 05:28 PM

Talent is important. Confidence is needed, sure. But arrogance? I think for most players, it's an overrated attribute.
:Clap

Well said!

Captain Lemming
06-13-2016, 12:00 AM

40 years ago we drafted humble Stallworth. I think you make my case.

Never mind arrogance then. How confident is Wheat? His best games are when he has little pressure. Why are his best performances when he is the number 3 guy? When he starts he usually is just OK or downright bad.

During Bryant's suspension, DHB not only had MORE YARDS than starter Wheaton, DHB had 2 touchdowns to zip for Wheat.

Brown missed an entire playoff game, allowing Wheat to start yet.......Bryant, DHB, AND Coates ALL had A SINGLE RECEPTION EACH of way more yards than Wheaton had TOTAL AS A STARTER in that game.

Dude averaged something like 33 yards in the playoffs last year, with zero touchdowns.

Slapstick
06-13-2016, 10:09 AM
Wheaton is not a guy that beats double coverage regularly, like Brown. You can bet that after his game against Seattle, the Broncos had him bracketed, which leaves other dudes open...

feltdizz
06-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Wheaton isn't who we thought he would be. He was awesome in the Seattle game but that's the only time I remember him really having a break out game.

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Wheaton isn't who we thought he would be. He was awesome in the Seattle game but that's the only time I remember him really having a break out game.

For what it's worth, Markus Wheaton's numbers for his first 3 seasons in Black and Gold (103-1457-7) are better than Emmanuel Sanders' numbers for his first 3 seasons in Black and Gold (94-1290-5). Maybe we allow him to leave after his rookie contract expires like we did with Sanders, but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't who we thought he would be. He's yet another midround WR draft pick who is contributing on the Steelers.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-13-2016, 04:28 PM
For what it's worth, Markus Wheaton's numbers for his first 3 seasons in Black and Gold (103-1457-7) are better than Emmanuel Sanders' numbers for his first 3 seasons in Black and Gold (94-1290-5). Maybe we allow him to leave after his rookie contract expires like we did with Sanders, but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't who we thought he would be. He's yet another midround WR draft pick who is contributing on the Steelers.

$$$$$$$
It would be great if Wheat went over 80 catches and 1000 yards on the season--maybe that will happen this year--but is it really very likely when Ben has AB, Bell, Coates, LaDarius Green, DHB, and Jesse James to throw to as well?

Captain Lemming
06-13-2016, 10:01 PM

That's funny. Do you realize that Wheaton has had 20 starts to Sanders 8 in their respective "first three seasons? That's more than three times the starts, and the stats are THAT close. Sanders had a fraction of the opportunity Wheaton has had in his first three seasons.

Captain Lemming
06-13-2016, 10:19 PM

It is his only 100 yard receiving game EVER.
He has only one other game with more than 75 yards.

In 40 out of 44 career games (nearly HALF of which were starts), he had less than 69 yards

Captain Lemming
06-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Wheaton is not a guy that beats double coverage regularly, like Brown. You can bet that after his game against Seattle, the Broncos had him bracketed, which leaves other dudes open...

You NEVER have to double cover Wheat. You just cant double cover two other receivers with FOUR of your best secondary players. 43 out of 44 games show all you need is ONE starting corner and he will be OK at best. That is why he never does anything special when he starts.

feltdizz
06-14-2016, 08:13 AM

yeah.. but we made a SB with Sanders.

Wheaton doesn't pass the eye test when you compare their first 3 years.

Slapstick
06-14-2016, 08:18 AM
yeah.. but we made a SB with Sanders.

Wheaton doesn't pass the eye test when you compare their first 3 years.

Sanders didn't pass the "eye test" either...

BradshawsHairdresser
06-14-2016, 09:02 AM

$$$$$
I remember lots of complaints (on this board) about Sanders when he was with the Steelers. Always getting hurt, dropping the ball in important situations, not ready for prime time, etc..

feltdizz
06-14-2016, 12:45 PM

which is why I have no problem if we move on from him and I don' expect him to go somewhere else and ball out like Sanders

but i was talking in comparison to Sanders. I think Sanders had better production in more critical games.

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2016, 01:37 PM
It is his only 100 yard receiving game EVER.
He has only one other game with more than 75 yards.

In 40 out of 44 career games (nearly HALF of which were starts), he had less than 69 yards

In Sanders' 56 total games played in 4 seasons with the Steelers (18 starts), he had ZERO 100 yard games.

Maybe Wheaton's 9-201-1 line against the "Legion of Boom" secondary ("his only 100 yard receiving game EVER") is a complete and total fluke (in fact, it probably is), but still that's way more than we got out of Sanders in a Steeler uniform.