PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Jones “motivated” by Steelers declining his option

Jooser
05-25-2016, 09:03 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/25/jarvis-jones-motivated-by-steelers-declining-his-option/

Jarvis Jones “motivated” by Steelers declining his option

Posted by Zac Jackson on May 25, 2016, 7:17 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Steelers v Cincinnati Bengals
Getty Images
Steelers outside linebacker Jarvis Jones has plenty to play for in 2016 after the team declined to pick up the fifth-year option on his contract, and Jones called that situation “motivation” to have his best season yet.

The Steelers waited until just before the early May deadline before declining the option on Jones, meaning 2016 will be the final year of his rookie contract.

Jones started 15 games in 2015 and had his most productive season, recording two sacks, a forced fumble and an interception. He has started 26 of 36 career games but has just five sacks in three seasons.

“Obviously I have to be more productive than I have been the past three years,” Jones said, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I think everybody knows that, and I know that myself. Nothing’s changed.”

Jones can still play his way into the team’s long-term plans, and the sides can still negotiate a long-term deal. What would be best for both sides is Jones playing well enough this season for the Steelers that both his original team and potential outside suitors are interested in his services.

“It’s not about the money,” he said. “I don’t play the game for the money. I play the game because it’s something I’m passionate about. If I do what I have to do, eventually I’ll get the money. That’s not what I’m worried about right now. I’m worried about playing football and being a football player.”

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers,

He concluded this interview by saying, " Yo Ovi, suck it!" :D

SteelCrazy
05-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Jarvis Jones 2016 predicted stats,

Tackles = 57

Sacks= 5

Int's = 2

FF's = 3

PD's = 3

fordfixer
05-25-2016, 10:13 PM
I'm just guessing here, but I would bet Ovi would be very happy if Jarvis turns into the player he was supposed to be.

Rara
05-25-2016, 11:27 PM
So this was what it took to make Jarvis motivated now..? Because the Steelers declined his option? Get real, Jarvis...should have been motivated when you got drafted by a team with an excellent history of defense.

Oviedo
05-26-2016, 05:35 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/25/jarvis-jones-motivated-by-steelers-declining-his-option/

He concluded this interview by saying, " Yo Ovi, suck it!" :D

Words are cheap and meaningless. Jarvis has always said the right words. Seems like a good guy. Just not a good football player who deserved to be drafted in the 1st round. Perhaps he should work out in Missouri...the "Show Me" state.

I want him to be a Pro Bowl player, but I just have never seen it ever happening. The talent just isn't there

Oviedo
05-26-2016, 05:39 AM
So this was what it took to make Jarvis motivated now..? Because the Steelers declined his option? Get real, Jarvis...should have been motivated when you got drafted by a team with an excellent history of defense.

Yep! I'm sure he has always been motivated. His problem is his talent has always been overrated. That won't change with his option being declined.

Iron City Inc.
05-26-2016, 11:53 AM
Jarvis plays like a 4th rounder. A starter who is okay but not special. Will he be a late bloomer? Who knows but as Ovi has stated and I would agree the talent at least to be a star just is not there. Lets see how it plays out and if he plays "okay" and walks at year end so be it.

The Man of Steel
05-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Jarvis Jones might be out of league for good even before James Harrison is.

squidkid
05-26-2016, 03:18 PM
at least he knows he sucks and isnt living up to expectations.
kinda refreshing to hear that nowadays

Slapstick
05-26-2016, 05:02 PM
at least he knows he sucks and isnt living up to expectations.
kinda refreshing to hear that nowadays

Wow. We agree! :Clap

BradshawsHairdresser
05-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Yep! I'm sure he has always been motivated. His problem is his talent has always been overrated. That won't change with his option being declined.

This.

At this point, it would be nice if Jarvis had a solid season. Maybe then he could be re-signed to a reasonable contract as a depth player.

Shoe
05-26-2016, 11:36 PM
Him having a "breakout" season (e.g. 10 sack) isn't out of the realm, because as said--he isn't a bad player. But even if he did, I still don't think he's worth what he would make if we picked up his player option. He's another Arthur Moats or Clark Haggans.

It is slightly annoying that (according to the article) Jarvis Jones is taking this as some sort of snub by the Steelers. Granted, I probably would too if I were a player. But he's acting like he's given the team any justification for it. He's played like a third round pick, not a first.

SidSmythe
05-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Too bad he wasn't motivated from Day 1.
Blah Blah Blah JJ. You're motivation is campaign rhetoric.
Put up or Shut Up!

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Joey Porter: Jarvis Jones cares too much about what others think
Posted by Josh Alper on June 14, 2016, 8:11 AM EDT

The Steelers decided not to exercise their option on linebacker Jarvis Jones‘ contract for 2017, leaving Jones in line to be a free agent when the 2016 season comes to an end.

It likely wasn’t all that difficult for the Steelers to come to that conclusion. While Jones had some good moments while starting 15 games last season, he played fewer total snaps than both rookie Bud Dupree and longtime veteran James Harrison a year after missing nine games because of a wrist injury.

A strong 2016 season would change Jones’ NFL trajectory and his position coach believes that getting it will require him to tighten his focus. Joey Porter thinks Jones pays too much attention to what others say and think about him.

“I just try to be smart with him, like, ‘Hey man, just come in healthy and ready to go and you’ll have all the chances to answer the questions when the season starts,'” Porter said, via ESPN.com. “For him, he takes the challenge of what everybody thinks more than I think he should. I’m glad I didn’t play in this era. I didn’t come up in the social media era. I don’t have none of that stuff now. In this era, people care what they say. They make themselves too available.”

Jones knows that he needs to be more productive on the field, although he’ll first need to earn playing time this summer before he can get to that point on his to-do list. That should be enough work to keep his attention on the field rather than a screen, especially since it would lead to at least a few nicer comments the next time Jones logs in.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/14/joey-porter-jarvis-jones-cares-too-much-about-what-others-think/

Slapstick
06-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Nice misleading headline, PFT!