PDA

View Full Version : I'd put in a waiver claim for this guy, to give us a couple of long Berger names @ QB

RuthlessBurgher
05-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Titans waive Zach Mettenberger
Posted by Josh Alper on May 16, 2016, 9:45 AM EDT

The Titans are moving on without quarterback Zach Mettenberger.

The team announced Monday that they have waived the 2014 sixth-round pick. They signed Matt Cassel to play behind Marcus Mariota earlier this offseason and also have Alex Tanney on their 90-man roster.

Mettenberger made six starts during his rookie season and generated some talk about a future as a starter in Tennessee or elsewhere while posting an 83.4 quarterback rating and averaging nearly eight yards per pass attempt on a bad Titans team. The Titans didn’t trade him after drafting Mariota, however, and it appears Mettenberger didn’t do much to help his value by struggling in four starts while Mariota was injured last year.

He’s still a young quarterback who has had flashes of promise, though, and it would be surprising if he makes it through the waiver wire unclaimed. If he is, we’ll find out on Tuesday where he’ll be continuing his NFL career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/titans-waive-zach-mettenberger/

phillyesq
05-16-2016, 10:25 AM
I remember hearing that the Steelers liked him coming out. Gradkowski is a bit of a question mark because of his health, and Jones is a question mark because of his ability.

The Titans had Cassel as their backup and wanted to give Mettenberger a chance to move on. If he doesn't find a team with a chance to start (like the Jets), I'd like to bring him in to compete to be the backup to Ben.

Thoughts?

buccoray61
05-16-2016, 10:27 AM
I would,but I doubt the Steelers will.

feltdizz
05-16-2016, 12:50 PM
No thanks, we have LANDRY!!!

Rara
05-16-2016, 01:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I read Mettenberger was placed on waivers. Why not? He's still young enough and could beat out Jones and eventually take over for Roethlisberger in a few years (since Gradkowski is nearly as old as Roethlisberger).

Shawn
05-16-2016, 02:02 PM
I like Mettenberger and find this move curious. He played reasonably well for a young guy in a bad situation. I would sign him in a heart beat.

RuthlessBurgher
05-16-2016, 02:20 PM
It probably has something to do with having a 0-10 record as a starter. But the supporting cast in Tennessee has been so bad the last few years that other starting QB's there haven't fared much better (or else the Titans wouldn't have earned the 2nd and 1st overall draft picks in consecutive seasons).

I think we should put in a claim, but I doubt we get him, because there are plenty of other teams ahead of us in the waiver order who could use a cheap, young 6'5" backup QB with good NFL arm strength.

Right now, unless Grad's injury situation rears its ugly head again, we are almost certain to enter the season with Ben, Grad, and Landry...Dustin Vaughn is nothing more than a camp arm. Sure, Grad and Landry will battle each other to determine which one is the gameday backup and which is the inactive 3rd stringer, but I'd much rather have Grad, Landry, and Mettenberger in a 3 way battle for 2 spots on the 53 man roster and the loser unemployed....THAT'S competition.

Slapstick
05-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Ouch:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/204059/historically-zach-mettenberger-has-no-chance

Shawn
05-16-2016, 02:41 PM
It probably has something to do with having a 0-10 record as a starter. But the supporting cast in Tennessee has been so bad the last few years that other starting QB's there haven't fared much better (or else the Titans wouldn't have earned the 2nd and 1st overall draft picks in consecutive seasons).

I think we should put in a claim, but I doubt we get him, because there are plenty of other teams ahead of us in the waiver order who could use a cheap, young 6'5" backup QB with good NFL arm strength.

Right now, unless Grad's injury situation rears its ugly head again, we are almost certain to enter the season with Ben, Grad, and Landry...Dustin Vaughn is nothing more than a camp arm. Sure, Grad and Landry will battle each other to determine which one is the gameday backup and which is the inactive 3rd stringer, but I'd much rather have Grad, Landry, and Mettenberger in a 3 way battle for 2 spots on the 53 man roster and the loser unemployed....THAT'S competition. big kid with a big arm...throwing to no bodies and behind a OL made of Swiss cheese. If he makes it to the Steelers I believe he is a better option than Jones.

The Man of Steel
05-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Anyone remember this?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11/17/7238711/nate-washington-puts-titans-ahead-of-steelers-on-huge-bomb-from-zach

buccoray61
05-17-2016, 04:43 PM
The Chargers claimed him today.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-17-2016, 07:20 PM

Not a surprise. The Chargers needed a backup, Whiz is the OC at SD, and Whiz was his coach in Tennessee.

Shoe
05-17-2016, 07:31 PM

Its too bad... 'burger joints around town would've had another one to add to their menu.

Slapstick
05-17-2016, 07:44 PM
The Chargers offense is built for a heavy footed QB...Mettenberger can learn behind Rivers...

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Reports have the Giants and Bengals also putting in claims for Mettenberger. The Steelers were not mentioned.

feltdizz
05-19-2016, 09:51 AM
We got Landry... why do we need Mettenburger? dude is trash

phillyesq
05-19-2016, 09:59 AM
We got Landry... why do we need Mettenburger? dude is trash

The Steelers like 3 Qbs, and there is no competition for the third spot. Gradkowski is coming off a year on IR - I'd like to inject competition and injury insurance into the mix, and Mettenberger is a young guy with a big arm.

Slapstick
05-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Even if the Steelers had placed a waiver claim, the Chargers, Giants, and Bengals would have all had priority...

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Even if the Steelers had placed a waiver claim, the Chargers, Giants, and Bengals would have all had priority...

True...just like when we tried to claim Ifo Ekpre-Olomu off waivers last month, but the Dolphins, Saints, and Bills were all ahead of us in the waiver pecking order.

Slapstick
05-19-2016, 10:27 AM
I think the only reason that the Bengals put in a claim (with the soulless ginger and AJ McCarron already on their roster) is because they thought the Steelers would put in a claim...just like they thought the Steelers were going to draft WJ III...

phillyesq
05-19-2016, 10:46 AM

I'm well aware of that - I was simply point out why it would have made sense.