PDA

View Full Version : O/T LaMarr Woodley calls his last 2 Defensive Coordinators 'dumb'

SteelCrazy
05-06-2016, 09:02 PM
In August 2011, the Steelers gave LaMarr Woodley a six-year, $61.5 million contract extension. The deal made sense; Woodley had 35 sacks the previous three seasons, and he added nine more in the months following his new deal. But he had just nine total sacks in 2012 and 2013, and by March 2014, he was out of a job.

Woodley spent an injury-plagued year in Oakland (six games, zero sacks) before signing with the Cardinals last season (10 games, one sack). Now 31 and a free agent, it's fair to wonder if his best days are behind him.

Not helping his chances: Woodley ripping his former defensive coordinators. And while he doesn't name names, he might as well have; Woodley's clearly talking about the Cardinals' James Bettcher and former Raiders coordinator Jason Tarver.

"In Oakland, we had a dumb defensive coordinator and in Arizona, we had a dumb defensive coordinator," Woodley said on his podcast, via AZCentral.com. "It was just two dumb guys. They thought we were like Madden players. They'd draw something up and on paper it looked good, but the players still have to go out there and run it. Those guys didn't really listen to their players. They wanted to do it their way and their way only."

Woodley, who played outside linebacker in Pittsburgh from 2007-13, wasn't happy about being moved to defensive end in Oakland. And he blamed Bettcher for the Cardinals' 49-15 blowout loss to the Panthers in last season's NFC Championship Game.

"In Arizona, we had one of the best defenses," he said. "You look at the results that happened in the Carolina game. It wasn't because we had bad players. No, our defensive coordinator he didn't have the common sense to talk to his players to make the adjustments. Because he just wanted to do things his way, those are the results we got, bottom line."

Woodley is free to call out whomever he pleases, but it's worth pointing out that entering his final year in Pittsburgh, an unnamed teammate called him out for not taking his job seriously.

"He was awful," an anonymous Steelers player told Pittsburgh Post-Gazette at the time. "He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

In the three seasons since those comments were made, Woodley has played in 27 (of 48) games and managed six sacks. So, yeah.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25579825/lamarr-woodley-rips-his-last-two-defensive-coordinators-for-being-dumb

LordVile
05-06-2016, 09:52 PM
i dont respect players who are too stubborn to improve their physique.. Jarvis Jones comes to mind. Well we certainly got the most out of Woodley's career.. i really like what Marcus Gilbert did for himself with losing weight and such, nearly playing at a PRO-BOWL level..

Woodley, come back for vet minimum!!! woooot

Slapstick
05-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Jarvis was working out with Harrison last offseason. Hopefully, he'll be out there again...

squidkid
05-07-2016, 08:32 AM
says the guy who got fat and lazy and faked injuries shortly after he got paid from us then stole money from a couple other teams.
talk about being dumb? woodley could have been one of the best ever if he took his job serious. he could have been a steeler legend.
woodley needs to stay far away from this team. we dont need his work ethic around these younger guys

phillyesq
05-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Jarvis was working out with Harrison last offseason. Hopefully, he'll be out there again...

Exactly. I don't know what he did this offseason, but he spent last offseason with Harrison working hard. I've never heard anybody question his work ethic, unlike Woodley.

feltdizz
05-09-2016, 08:43 AM
i dont respect players who are too stubborn to improve their physique.. Jarvis Jones comes to mind. Well we certainly got the most out of Woodley's career.. i really like what Marcus Gilbert did for himself with losing weight and such, nearly playing at a PRO-BOWL level..

Woodley, come back for vet minimum!!! woooot

where did you get your info on Jarvis being stubborn about his physique?

Slapstick
05-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Incidentally, I wonder what LaMarr's last few defensive coordinators think of him...:oops: :Binky

Captain Lemming
05-09-2016, 11:48 PM
They probably WERE stupid.
They likely lobbied to acquire Woodley. At the very list they must have been consulted.
Morons. :)

RuthlessBurgher
07-15-2016, 10:17 AM
LaMarr Woodley: Whenever phone rings, I’ll be ready
Posted by Josh Alper on July 15, 2016, 8:42 AM EDT

In June, veteran linebacker LaMarr Woodley said he isn’t stressing about the lack of interest from NFL teams about adding him to their roster for the 2016 season because it isn’t something he can control.

Woodley’s lack of stress isn’t the same as a lack of desire to keep playing, however. During an appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Bill Polian and Tom Pelissero, Woodley said he’s in shape and will show the league he can still “play at a high level” just as soon as someone gives him a chance to do it.

“Make no mistake about it, I definitely can set the edge,” Woodley said. “You can go back and look at Arizona and see me setting the edge. That ain’t no problem at all, because I got hurt again. But I can definitely set the edge and I can still get after the quarterback, but I have to be on the field to do those type of things. My number never changed, it’s still the same. My phone is always on my hip so whenever it rings, I’ll be ready for it.”

Woodley played 10 games for the Cardinals last season, but a return to Arizona seems unlikely after Woodley called Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher “dumb” earlier this offseason. He said the same of Jason Tarver, who was the Raiders coordinator when Woodley played six games for Oakland in 2014. Whether anyone else takes the plunge will depend on whether they believe Woodley’s diminished production in recent years can be attributed to coaching or if his frequent injuries have been the real culprit for the slide.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/15/lamarr-woodley-whenever-phone-rings-ill-be-ready/

Oviedo
07-15-2016, 02:34 PM
LaMarr Woodley: Whenever phone rings, I’ll be ready
Posted by Josh Alper on July 15, 2016, 8:42 AM EDT

In June, veteran linebacker LaMarr Woodley said he isn’t stressing about the lack of interest from NFL teams about adding him to their roster for the 2016 season because it isn’t something he can control.

Woodley’s lack of stress isn’t the same as a lack of desire to keep playing, however. During an appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Bill Polian and Tom Pelissero, Woodley said he’s in shape and will show the league he can still “play at a high level” just as soon as someone gives him a chance to do it.

“Make no mistake about it, I definitely can set the edge,” Woodley said. “You can go back and look at Arizona and see me setting the edge. That ain’t no problem at all, because I got hurt again. But I can definitely set the edge and I can still get after the quarterback, but I have to be on the field to do those type of things. My number never changed, it’s still the same. My phone is always on my hip so whenever it rings, I’ll be ready for it.”

Woodley played 10 games for the Cardinals last season, but a return to Arizona seems unlikely after Woodley called Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher “dumb” earlier this offseason. He said the same of Jason Tarver, who was the Raiders coordinator when Woodley played six games for Oakland in 2014. Whether anyone else takes the plunge will depend on whether they believe Woodley’s diminished production in recent years can be attributed to coaching or if his frequent injuries have been the real culprit for the slide.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/15/lamarr-woodley-whenever-phone-rings-ill-be-ready/

Think that teams know he wasn't ready when he was on teams, so why would anyone really expect him to be ready now.

squidkid
07-15-2016, 03:11 PM
the guy could have been a HOFer if he wasnt so lazy...........

feltdizz
07-15-2016, 04:25 PM
this guy ate his way out of a great career

BradshawsHairdresser
07-15-2016, 06:23 PM
this guy's a very rich bum

SteelerOfDeVille
07-21-2016, 10:28 PM
the guy could have been a HOFer if he wasnt so lazy...........
agree... he was THAT talented... easily as gifted as Peezy...

RobinCole
07-24-2016, 09:05 AM
The CBS article quoted in the OP left out one key event that started his decline. He signed that big contract in August, 2011. He was certainly not slacking in the first ten games of 2011. He had nine sacks, including two against the Pats, a game we won at home. He was bearing down (unblocked) on Brady for sack #3 of the game when he went down like he'd been shot. That was no fake injury. It was a torn hamstring. It didn't heal that season, although he did try to play in the playoff game against Denver but left after a few plays. Since then it was one thing after another and he may have become discouraged. But please do not believe the line that he slacked off immediately after signing the contract. He was having a great season until the torn hamstring.