PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Decline 5th Year Option on JJ

NorthCoast
05-02-2016, 08:17 PM
J Fowler reports the Steelers will not pick up the option on Jarvis Jones:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers

I think this surprises ... no one. Guy has had plenty of chances to live up to his pick and he isn't worth +$8M / yr.

squidkid
05-02-2016, 08:27 PM
how do you not pick up the option on the 'steal of the draft' player?

Steelwolf
05-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Welp didn't see this one coming....bust!

SteelBucks
05-02-2016, 09:05 PM
"With the 32nd selection of the 2017 draft, the Steelers select LB .........". I'll let you all fill in the blank. ;)

Ghost
05-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Just means they didn't think he was worth that much money for one year. Still a chance they could resign him to a cap friendly extension. Still has a chance to bring it this year. And hopefully he does as that helps the D.

birtikidis
05-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Just means they didn't think he was worth that much money for one year. Still a chance they could resign him to a cap friendly extension. Still has a chance to bring it this year. And hopefully he does as that helps the D.
They were talking about this with another player but it applies to JJ; they didn't think that 6.5+million was a good starting place for negotiations. I don't know what the 5th year option would have been for JJ, but I'm sure they wanted to start at a number lower than what the option would have been. I think they'll resign him for less.

Oviedo
05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Smart decision. You don't waste money on a guy who has done nothing since he got here to justify his draft status. Maybe playing for a contract will be the motivation he need to actually produce. Here's to hoping, but not counting on it. Unfortunately, he will likely go down as one of our worst#1 picks in along time

Oviedo
05-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Welp didn't see this one coming....bust!

Pretty obvious to anyone who wanted to see his real performance not the spin.

feltdizz
05-03-2016, 09:13 AM
looks like the 2013 draft class was mostly a bust. There were a lot of 5th year options that weren't used this year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fifth-year-options-declined--mingo--warmack--ej-manuel--patterson-190443294.html

papillon
05-03-2016, 09:35 AM
looks like the 2013 draft class was mostly a bust. There were a lot of 5th year options that weren't used this year.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fifth-year-options-declined--mingo--warmack--ej-manuel--patterson-190443294.html

So, are all of these guys free agents or do they negotiate with their current team or restricted free agents, etc?

Pappy

phillyesq
05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
They were talking about this with another player but it applies to JJ; they didn't think that 6.5+million was a good starting place for negotiations. I don't know what the 5th year option would have been for JJ, but I'm sure they wanted to start at a number lower than what the option would have been. I think they'll resign him for less.

You and Ghost both nailed it. Regardless of how this year plays out, you don't want to start negotiating any future deal with Jones at $8+ million, which would have been the cost of the option.

Hopefully Jarvis plays well this year. I don't think he'll ever be an elite guy or close to it, but he is at least solid against the run, and if he improves the pass rush a bit more, he'll certainly help the defense.

phillyesq
05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
So, are all of these guys free agents or do they negotiate with their current team or restricted free agents, etc?

Pappy

It has no impact on 2016, when they will all play out the last year of their deals. They become FAs in 2017.

feltdizz
05-03-2016, 10:00 AM
I also think we re-sign him at a favorable deal.

SidSmythe
05-03-2016, 07:14 PM
I remember at my class reunion in 2013 (JJs Rookie Year) the Steelers were playing in a preseason game and my Friend said "Jarvis Jones is going to be a stud"
Since we were all out celebrating I just said "I hope so" when I really wanted to say "Where are you getting that from, I think he's going to suck"
But for the sake of enjoying the night I left it alone.

Shoe
05-03-2016, 07:45 PM

This actually justifies picking a pedestrian player like Jones. If he had been picked amongst many other more productive players, people could rightly ask what the he11 we were thinking. But since we were (as it appears) picking gnat ---- out of pepper, it makes the pick justifiable.

NorthCoast
05-03-2016, 07:55 PM
This actually justifies picking a pedestrian player like Jones. If he had been picked amongst many other more productive players, people could rightly ask what the he11 we were thinking. But since we were (as it appears) picking gnat ---- out of pepper, it makes the pick justifiable.

At the very least it says the odds were against the Steelers in finding a gem among the detritus.

The numbers shouldn't be greater than Harrison's, who is actually outperforming Jones. Harrison is at the end of a 2 yr deal worth $1.375M/yr. I suspect Jones will sneer at that kind of number and if I was in charge I would say good luck with your next team.

Oviedo
05-03-2016, 09:14 PM

There were productive players picked after Jones. Tyler Eifert, DeAndre Hopkins, Eric Reid, Kyle Long.

Jones was not the BPA. Lets just finally acknowledge he was a miss and quit trying to justify a bad pick because of what other guys did.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2016, 09:50 PM
There were productive players picked after Jones. Tyler Eifert, DeAndre Hopkins, Eric Reid, Kyle Long.

Jones was not the BPA. Lets just finally acknowledge he was a miss and quit trying to justify a bad pick because of what other guys did.

The best player available who was picked after Jarvis Jones was Le'Veon Bell. Imagine how good our offense could be right now if we were able to draft that stud. ;)

Captain Lemming
05-03-2016, 10:44 PM
The best player available who was picked after Jarvis Jones was Le'Veon Bell. Imagine how good our offense could be right now if we were able to draft that stud. ;)

Nice......

feltdizz
05-04-2016, 09:36 AM

LMAO.. good one.

birtikidis
05-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Yea yea yea. Everyone knows we should have taken Eddy Lacy.

ikestops85
05-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Yea yea yea. Everyone knows we should have taken Eddy Lacy.

Who wanted Lacy? Everyone knows we should have taken Montee Ball. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2016, 10:33 AM

I actually was legitimately upset that we took Le'Veon in round 2 that year, because I really wanted WR Keenan Allen there. I remember that I was out to dinner with my in laws that night and I could sort of see the T.V.'s over the bar that had the draft coverage on. When I saw that Pittsburgh was on the clock, I excused myself to go to the bathroom, but instead went to the bar for a better view of the T.V.'s while our pick was being made. I went back to the table upset that we took Bell (who many considered a 3rd or 4th round prospect) over Allen (who many viewed as a 1st round prospect). Keenan's been a solid NFL player so far (when healthy), but he is no Le'Veon (again, when healthy).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Come on guys: Ball vs. Lacy should be its own thread. :p

squidkid
05-04-2016, 03:21 PM
I actually was legitimately upset that we took Le'Veon in round 2 that year, because I really wanted WR Keenan Allen there. I remember that I was out to dinner with my in laws that night and I could sort of see the T.V.'s over the bar that had the draft coverage on. When I saw that Pittsburgh was on the clock, I excused myself to go to the bathroom, but instead went to the bar for a better view of the T.V.'s while our pick was being made. I went back to the table upset that we took Bell (who many considered a 3rd or 4th round prospect) over Allen (who many viewed as a 1st round prospect). Keenan's been a solid NFL player so far (when healthy), but he is no Le'Veon (again, when healthy).

yup, bell could have been had in the third

Slapstick
05-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Unless the Packers took him...which they probably would have...

Ghost
05-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Happened to run across SI grading the 2013 draft for all teams and thought of this tread.

Pittsburgh Steelers (Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin): C+
Average Career Approximate Value: 10.0. (From Pro Football Reference’s Career approximate Value)

First-round pick: LB Jarvis Jones (No. 17).

Best pick: RB Le’Veon Bell (second round).

Worst pick: DB Shamarko Thomas (fourth round).

Comment: You could put Pittsburgh’s first three picks (Jones, Bell and WR Markus Wheaton) up against anybody’s, but the next three (Thomas, QB Landry Jones and CB Terry Hawthorne) make it a wash. Sixth-round LB Vince Williams has been a contributor.

Here’s the link for all teams:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/05/nfl-draft-2013-grades-picks-analysis-results

papillon
05-05-2016, 04:26 PM

D@mn-it the Steelers screwed up yet again reaching for Bell, dumb@sses.

Pappy

squidkid
05-05-2016, 05:46 PM
D@mn-it the Steelers screwed up yet again reaching for Bell, dumb@sses.

Pappy

yup. could have drafted someone else in the second and grabbed bell in the third

Slapstick
05-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Unless the Packers took him...

papillon
05-05-2016, 10:37 PM
yup. could have drafted someone else in the second and grabbed bell in the third

And, how exactly would that make a difference? He's going to get paid for being the best back in the game, regardless of where he was drafted. The Steelers may have a saved a million or two in salary by waiting until the 3rd or they may have lost him altogether, and there's no guarantee that the player they drafted instead of Bell would have been successful. Give it a rest and enjoy the fact that the best back in the NFL plays for the Steelers.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2016, 10:58 PM
And, how exactly would that make a difference? He's going to get paid for being the best back in the game, regardless of where he was drafted. The Steelers may have a saved a million or two in salary by waiting until the 3rd or they may have lost him altogether, and there's no guarantee that the player they drafted instead of Bell would have been successful. Give it a rest and enjoy the fact that the best back in the NFL plays for the Steelers.

Pappy

Just imagine if we drafted Le'Veon Bell in round 1, Markus Wheaton in round 2, and Jarvis Jones in round 3. The team would be exactly the same, but Oviedo would have to pick something else to whine incessantly about.

Chadman
05-06-2016, 12:24 AM
Just imagine if we drafted Le'Veon Bell in round 1, Markus Wheaton in round 2, and Jarvis Jones in round 3. The team would be exactly the same, but Oviedo would have to pick something else to whine incessantly about.

Hahahaha..... sorry- but that is kind of funny.

That said, realistically that is 3 heavy producers in 3 picks..regardless of the round they were selected in..

Captain Lemming
05-06-2016, 02:16 AM

How do you KNOW this?
Knowing the player Bell is would you honestly wait to the third to hope he makes it to our pick?

papillon
05-06-2016, 04:35 AM
Hahahaha..... sorry- but that is kind of funny.

That said, realistically that is 3 heavy producers in 3 picks..regardless of the round they were selected in..

I don't know that I'd call Jarvis Jones a heavy producer, unless, of course, in Australia a "heavy producer" means average at best. :)

Papp

SteelCrazy
05-06-2016, 08:33 AM
I don't know that I'd call Jarvis Jones a heavy producer, unless, of course, in Australia a "heavy producer" means average at best. :)

Papp

He could have been referring to his run stopping production...:eek: and that's exactly what we look for in a ROLB..:eek::o

Oviedo
05-06-2016, 09:04 AM

But that didn't happen. Imagine if Jarvis had just performed like a 1st Round pick should! He wouldn't had been a wasted pick.

Blame the poster all you want, but it is the player who gives us something to "whine" about. Sorry Jones has failed to live up tp your vocal support with his performance but that isn't another poster problem.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2016, 10:11 AM
But that didn't happen. Imagine if Jarvis had just performed like a 1st Round pick should! He wouldn't had been a wasted pick.

Blame the poster all you want, but it is the player who gives us something to "whine" about. Sorry Jones has failed to live up tp your vocal support with his performance but that isn't another poster problem.

At least Chadman thought it was funny.

Slapstick
05-06-2016, 11:08 AM
At least Chadman thought it was funny.

That's because it was funny. It isn't your fault that some people have no ability to laugh at themselves...

papillon
05-06-2016, 12:40 PM
That's because it was funny. It isn't your fault that some people have no ability to laugh at themselves...

And, this all started because the Steelers 'reached' for Bell, three running backs were taken after Bell and before Wheaton. What makes anyone believe that Le'Veon Bell would have made it to #79 is beyond me. IMO, the Steelers hit on 2 out of 3 in the 2013 draft that by and large has under performed (That entire 1st round could be the most underwhelming 1st round in the history of the game). Yea, the Steelers missed on the 1st round guy, but the next two picks, Bell and Wheaton, have panned out nicely.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2016, 01:17 PM
And it's not as if he's a complete bust like the DE/OLB's picked ahead of him (Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo). Maybe he's not the pass rushing demon we hoped for, but he's not a complete waste of space like he is made out to be.

papillon
05-06-2016, 02:27 PM
And it's not as if he's a complete bust like the DE/OLB's picked ahead of him (Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo). Maybe he's not the pass rushing demon we hoped for, but he's not a complete waste of space like he is made out to be.

IMO, the Steelers didn't pick up the 5th year option because they want to re-sign him for depth and at a salary commensurate with a depth OLB, not a 7-10 sack OLB. I believe that Jarvis Jones will be a Steeler after next season, unless he performs in a way that he hasn't shown up to this point and someone is willing to pay a large salary based on that one year. I don't think the Steelers will make that investment, but who knows.

Pappy

Slapstick
05-06-2016, 02:30 PM

This is all true...

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2016, 03:40 PM
IMO, the Steelers didn't pick up the 5th year option because they want to re-sign him for depth and at a salary commensurate with a depth OLB, not a 7-10 sack OLB. I believe that Jarvis Jones will be a Steeler after next season, unless he performs in a way that he hasn't shown up to this point and someone is willing to pay a large salary based on that one year. I don't think the Steelers will make that investment, but who knows.

Pappy

Yeah, if we pick up the option year at $8M or so, then contract extension talks with his agent would inevitably start off in the neighborhood of $8M per season going forward. That was okay with Heyward or DeCastro the two previous years, because those guys are likely to command at least that much on the open market, while Jarvis would not at this point.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-06-2016, 04:09 PM

Pappy
$$$$

He'd be a solid backup - just not a star.

I could see the team signing him for less, then spending a high pick on an OLB to replace him this upcoming season (assuming the late rounders/UDFA's don't turn out to be a Deebo)...

Oviedo
05-06-2016, 05:58 PM
$$$$

He'd be a solid backup - just not a star.

I could see the team signing him for less, then spending a high pick on an OLB to replace him this upcoming season (assuming the late rounders/UDFA's don't turn out to be a Deebo)...

Somehow using "solid back up" to describe a middle of the 1st Round Draft pick shouldn't be acceptable but some are OK with that. I just feel it was a complete miss on a player who was drafted to rush the QB no matter how much revisionist history or spin others may want to put on. He's is so far a 1st Round pick performing like a 4th round pick. Some are totally OK with that. I apologize if I upset some but I'm not OK with that and won't say it's all right. I know I keep saying it but it is a totally frustrating situation in my book...sorry if that offends the sensibilities of Jones' fans and supporters.

Slapstick
05-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Somehow using "solid back up" to describe a middle of the 1st Round Draft pick shouldn't be acceptable but some are OK with that. I just feel it was a complete miss on a player who was drafted to rush the QB no matter how much revisionist history or spin others may want to put on. He's is so far a 1st Round pick performing like a 4th round pick. Some are totally OK with that. I apologize if I upset some but I'm not OK with that and won't say it's all right. I know I keep saying it but it is a totally frustrating situation in my book...sorry if that offends the sensibilities of Jones' fans and supporters.

There is no need to apologize. I think we all wish that Jarvis' college game translated to the NFL...that has not happened and is not likely to happen...

The rest of us simply do not feel the need to whine about it incessantly and in virtually every available thread...

If it were a matter of Jarvis being an @$$hole, or failing drug tests, or making headlines off the field for the wrong reasons, people may feel differently...but, he isn't and he doesn't...he is simply not the player in the NFL that he was in college...

Getting mad at Jarvis over that just seems kind of stupid...

papillon
05-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Ok, so he's a miss in the 1st round, that doesn't mean that the Steelers can't get value out of him as a backup. At least, as a backup the 1st round miss isn't as devastating. Would you prefer he be a Jamarcus Russell type miss, Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, etc? I don't, he can still help the Steelers as a backup and be paid like a backup, everything else is water under the bridge. His ceiling was college, you had it right, many of us (myself included) had it wrong, that doesn't mean jettison him if you can still get some value from the pick.

He'll be experienced in the defense and being a professional (which he has been), unless, the Steelers have backups that outperform him, I say get some value from the missed 1st round pick.

Pappy