PDA

View Full Version : Paxton Lynch will haunt us...

Sword
05-02-2016, 08:24 AM
He was right there ...and we passed....I would have taken him
over burns for sure.....This is when we need to look and grab for a replacement and\or backup for Ben.....
He will haunt us in the future....Without Ben who do we have to carry us?
Don't care what it would have cost us or what are position needs are right now....
It takes a whole team but, starts with an Elite Quarterback!!

Oviedo
05-02-2016, 08:27 AM
QB in Round 1...made zero sense this year with so many other needs. You don't draft a guy to sit for 3-4 years and ignore real needs.

Sword
05-02-2016, 08:31 AM
QB in Round 1...made zero sense this year with so many other needs. You don't draft a guy to sit for 3-4 years and ignore real needs.

My thinking based on Ben's pass injuries no way he last 3-4 years..And every year he misses games so, no he wouldn't sit on the bench for 3-4 years....

BradshawsHairdresser
05-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Ben will play until he's 45.

(I don't really think so, but hey, we can dream...)

Steelhere10
05-02-2016, 08:47 AM
So let me get this straight, our draft should be like this, draft every player that we feel is going to hurt us and ignore the needs that will help us hurt teams..... O ok

Sword
05-02-2016, 08:56 AM
So let me get this straight, our draft should be like this, draft every player that we feel is going to hurt us and ignore the needs that will help us hurt teams..... O ok
No ...not hurt us in the context against games with Denver but, not having him when, we don't have Ben...I guess you don't remember passing on Marino and then having Those painful
years with Stewart......I do it's very clear in my mind.....

Steelhere10
05-02-2016, 09:48 AM
But we don't have Kordell , what we have is a qb , top three at that in the NFL that will play at least 4 more at a high level. Do you draft to win in two years oppose to 5.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Naah... don't like Lynch enough to take there. He was a 2nd round prospect by most accounts, 3rd by others. It was only when guys started moving up to get other QBs that he became a potential 1st rounder.

So, you're suggesting that not only should they have reached, but they should have done it for a guy who wouldn't play for several seasons.

There'll be a guy when we see Ben's window closing... and we'll make a move then

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2016, 10:14 AM
The only thing haunting about the Paxton Lynch scenario is Jerry Jones now saying that he lost sleep this weekend knowing that he should have overpaid to go get Lynch.

If Denver was willing to give up 1.31 and 3.94 to move up to Seattle's spot at 1.26, what might Jerry have been willing to admittedly overpay to move up to our spot at 1.25 instead?

We shouldn't have turned in our card so quickly...should have used our full allotted time to field calls from Valley Ranch.

Slapstick
05-02-2016, 10:27 AM
I can see that point, but I'm sure it was weighed against the value of drafting a guy who is perhaps the most athletically gifted CB in the draft...

phillyesq
05-02-2016, 10:54 AM
The only thing haunting about the Paxton Lynch scenario is Jerry Jones now saying that he lost sleep this weekend knowing that he should have overpaid to go get Lynch.

If Denver was willing to give up 1.31 and 3.94 to move up to Seattle's spot at 1.26, what might Jerry have been willing to admittedly overpay to move up to our spot at 1.25 instead?

We shouldn't have turned in our card so quickly...should have used our full allotted time to field calls from Valley Ranch.

Completely agree. If Jones would have given up say, his early third and maybe something else (maybe even something crazy like a future 1) you'd have to consider it.

Maybe Artie Burns was the guy the Chiefs wanted. But no other corners came off the board between those two slots and Colbert himself said there were plenty of starting CBs to be had on the second and third day of the draft.

Artie Burns is a big gamble not only because he was a first round pick, but because of the lost bounty of a potential trade down. I certainly hope that he pans out and becomes and elite, press man corner capable of shutting out big WRs. But he has a long way to go...

phillyesq
05-02-2016, 10:58 AM
As for the original title, if the Jets and Bills - 2 teams in dire need of a QB - both passed on Lynch, I'm fine with the decision. I'm having a difficult time thinking of a late first round QB that turned into an elite guy - or even an above average QB.

The Man of Steel
05-02-2016, 11:13 AM
None of the QB's in this year's draft were anything to get excited about really.

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2016, 11:18 AM
None of the QB's in this year's draft were anything to get excited about really.

I would have taken Carson Wentz in the first round...he would been an awesome heir apparent to Ben. Not Goff or Lynch, though.

feltdizz
05-02-2016, 11:19 AM
now this is good posting. It doesnt make a lick of sense but it's good none the less.

This year the QB's were trash and none of them have star quality.

Steelhere10
05-02-2016, 11:31 AM
As for the original title, if the Jets and Bills - 2 teams in dire need of a QB - both passed on Lynch, I'm fine with the decision. I'm having a difficult time thinking of a late first round QB that turned into an elite guy - or even an above average QB.Aaron Rodgers lol.

feltdizz
05-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Aaron Rodgers lol.

good catch

phillyesq
05-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Aaron Rodgers lol.

Ugh. Fair enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

- Manziel
- Bridgewater (ok but nothing special)
- EJ Manuel
- Weeden
- Tebow
- Josh Freeman
- Flacco (16th so not quite as late)
- Brady Quinn
- Jason Campbell
- JP Losman

Aside from my obvious oversight in Rodgers, none of those guys are an upgrade over Ben or even close to it. And I wouldn't wait 3-5 years for any of those guys.

Sword
05-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Naah... don't like Lynch enough to take there. He was a 2nd round prospect by most accounts, 3rd by others. It was only when guys started moving up to get other QBs that he became a potential 1st rounder.

So, you're suggesting that not only should they have reached, but they should have done it for a guy who wouldn't play for several seasons.

There'll be a guy when we see Ben's window closing... and we'll make a move then

my point was based on who we choose at number 1! ...No way is burns worth more than Lynch....

Sword
05-02-2016, 01:22 PM
now this is good posting. It doesnt make a lick of sense but it's good none the less.

This year the QB's were trash and none of them have star quality. to you maybe...we will see :)

SteelYinzer
05-02-2016, 01:47 PM
We do need to draft and develop a QB for the future. I think this year was all about setting us up for the next 3-5 years of playoff runs. Needing so much help on D to put us over the top made QB a luxury this season. Next season Ben will be 35 and more receptive to a high pick being used on a QB. I'm not big on Lynch tbh. I think the 2017 QB class is a lot better than this year. The next time the Steelers draft a QB it'll be in the realistic hopes he'll eventually replace Ben. The top QBs will go to the MIA, CLE of the world. There's guys like Kiel, Towles, Lunt and Leidner who should be available in round 2 and beyond. Guys with great athleticism but will need a couple of years. All guys I see as better than Lynch and they aren't even among the top 3 or 4 QBs in the class either.

Sword
05-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Very valid point!!! Can someone please tell me why we turn it in so dam quick??? Whats the point? Leave as much time for another team to make you a deal....

Slapstick
05-02-2016, 02:25 PM
If your guy is there, draft him...

phillyesq
05-02-2016, 02:32 PM
If your guy is there, draft him...

There is no harm in listening. If you draft him immediately or with all of your time left, either way, you still get him.

I get Colbert's point that, if you are going do move down 5 spots, you better have 5 guys. But if a team would make a crazy overpay for a QB (say, for example, switching spots, pick up an extra 2 or 3 this year and an extra 1 or 2 in 2017), you have to strongly consider that, depending on what the rest of your board looks like.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Very valid point!!! Can someone please tell me why we turn it in so dam quick??? Whats the point? Leave as much time for another team to make you a deal....

I believe that is the Steeler philosophy. Identify your guy and get him. Don't risk losing him for the sake of an extra third or whatever. It is easy to sit here and say that Burns was a third rounder and would have been there. It is easy to say that there is no big deal, get Burns, Fuller, or whoever was next - there is not much of a difference between them.

The fact is that this team does things their way and I'm sure that sometimes it works and others it doesn't. All I know is that they obviously have a reason for doing things the way that they do and it works pretty well. Right or wrong, they do so with a lot more information than we have.

*Note - The idea that the FO knows much more than we do applies to 31 teams. The lone exception is the Cleveland Browns. Any of us can do a better job drafting drunk, eyes closed, and with a dart board.

pfelix73
05-02-2016, 09:30 PM
good catch

I'll go a bit further back.

Dan Marino

Oh, and picking Paxton Lynch? lol. right.

NJ-STEELER
05-03-2016, 08:30 AM
When beN'S time is done. We will likely have a season where we draft in the top 1y. Get your next QB then

phillyesq
05-03-2016, 09:50 AM
I'll go a bit further back.

Dan Marino

Oh, and picking Paxton Lynch? lol. right.

Ok, him too. The point is, the success rate for top 10 QBs isn't great, but the success rate for QBs in the 20-30 range is rather abysmal.

Sword
05-03-2016, 09:56 AM
When beN'S time is done. We will likely have a season where we draft in the top 1y. Get your next QB then
Don't want to wait tell Ben is done ...better be looking in the next 2 drafts....

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Don't want to wait tell Ben is done ...better be looking in the next 2 drafts....

The chances of finding a franchise QB of the future picking from the draft slot of a playoff team is pretty darn small. So far, the board has been able to come up with 2 franchise QB's picked in the late first round since 1983. Rodgers, because teams were scared off by the fact that Jeff Tedford QB's were flops as pros before then, and Marino, because of rumored cocaine use. That's the list since the Reagan administration.

feltdizz
05-03-2016, 11:51 AM

Neither do I, but I also don't want to pick up a random QB out of fear 3 to 5 years from now.

I think Ben is playing for another 5 years or until AB and Bell move on. No way Ben walks away while we have all these weapons on offense.

The Man of Steel
05-03-2016, 12:04 PM
If things work out just right I could see Landry Jones being the next Cliff Stoudt. Groom him as Ben's successor for 6 years then when Ben's injuries finally catch up to him you make him the starter. After that you just wait another 20 years or so until you can draft another HOF QB.

papillon
05-03-2016, 12:15 PM

They turned it quickly, IMO, because they are setting themselves up to win Super Bowls over the next 5 years while Ben is still great. You have to balance planning for the future and winning now. The Steelers need to win now with Ben. Drafting his replacement would have hindered their ability to fix the areas of the team that, in all likelihood, are most likely to be the reason they don't win Super Bowls.

Pappy

feltdizz
05-03-2016, 01:42 PM
If things work out just right I could see Landry Jones being the next Cliff Stoudt. Groom him as Ben's successor for 6 years then when Ben's injuries finally catch up to him you make him the starter. After that you just wait another 20 years or so until you can draft another HOF QB.

haha.. I see Landry as a decent stop gap for 4 or 5 years until we find a replacement.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2016, 02:03 PM
haha.. I see Landry as a decent stop gap for 4 or 5 years until we find a replacement.

Or...Ben retires, and Landry accelerates the process by leading us to a 2-14 season in his first year as a starter, and we use the subsequent 1st overall pick on our next franchise QB. ;)

NJ-STEELER
05-03-2016, 02:47 PM

I would look for a development type of guy. No earlier then the 3rd rd

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2016, 02:54 PM
I would look for a development type of guy. No earlier then the 3rd rd

In other words, Landry Jones version 2.0

Shawn
05-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Considering how much the Steelers like to take on project players with upside...I'm surprised they didn't draft Cardele Jones.

The Man of Steel
05-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Considering how much the Steelers like to take on project players with upside...I'm surprised they didn't draft Cardele Jones.
They already had Cardale Jones on the roster once. It was back when he was still going by the name of "Byron Leftwich."

pfelix73
05-03-2016, 08:42 PM
The chances of finding a franchise QB of the future picking from the draft slot of a playoff team is pretty darn small. So far, the board has been able to come up with 2 franchise QB's picked in the late first round since 1983. Rodgers, because teams were scared off by the fact that Jeff Tedford QB's were flops as pros before then, and Marino, because of rumored cocaine use. That's the list since the Reagan administration.
Well damn... thanks for dating me... LOL :)

Starlifter
05-04-2016, 01:04 AM
I really really wish the steelers were the lone team with unlimited draft picks and no salary cap. Then you could cover your backside on every single position.

but unfortunately, reality is a bit different. It's always risk vs. reward and I see no reason now to waste a spot to plan for Ben's demise. That could seriously be a decade away. Couple of points to ponder. Yes, he got hurt last year - but overall his sacks are way down (as planned). The NFL goes out of it's way to protect QB's. if manning can go to 40ish - so can ben. and unlike manning - ben likely doesn't have a job in TV waiting for him. His past transgressions probably mean when his career is over, so is a large money stream. so i expect him to play until someone makes him stop.

so no, we don't waste picks on finding his replacement. we address the needs we have NOW. and that's what the steelers did thankfully.

SteelYinzer
05-04-2016, 02:09 AM
They already had Cardale Jones on the roster once. It was back when he was still going by the name of "Byron Leftwich."

Ha ha ha. I think Cardale is a much better athlete with more upside though. Cardale Jones and the guy the Pats drafted, Brissett, are the type of guys I see us drafting next season. Raw enough to escape round 1 but talented enough to see long term potential. I honestly think there's very little that separates the above two with Wentz. Goff has the "it" factor. He has that innate ability to sense pressure, step up or slide into the pocket and go through his reads. There aren't more than a handful of NFL guys that have that ability and they are elite. I definitely see him succeeding. I think PHI is screwed.

phillyesq
05-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Somebody reported that he was one of the targets when they were trying to trade back into the 5th.

feltdizz
05-04-2016, 09:32 AM
In other words, Landry Jones version 2.0
basically, but as long as he has a different name it's all good

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Ha ha ha. I think Cardale is a much better athlete with more upside though. Cardale Jones and the guy the Pats drafted, Brissett, are the type of guys I see us drafting next season. Raw enough to escape round 1 but talented enough to see long term potential. I honestly think there's very little that separates the above two with Wentz. Goff has the "it" factor. He has that innate ability to sense pressure, step up or slide into the pocket and go through his reads. There aren't more than a handful of NFL guys that have that ability and they are elite. I definitely see him succeeding. I think PHI is screwed.

I think Wentz is the better QB...a Joe Flacco like small school prospect whose upside could approach Roethlisberger in the right situation. But he was drafted into the wrong situation. Chip Kelly screwed the pooch to the point where Philly could not afford to give up all those prime picks because they need them to patch all the holes Kelly left them with. If Wentz got drafted by the Rams, who already have a strong defense and running game like Flacco and Ben had when they came into the NFL, he could really have flourished in a downfield, play action passing game. But the Rams opt for the West Coast offense guy instead. As I have noted previously here, I see Goff as have a Sam Bradford floor and a Matt Ryan ceiling...I can only assume that the Rams see his potential differently...perhaps a Andy Dalton floor and a Tom Brady ceiling, in order to give up all those picks.