PDA

View Full Version : Travis Freeney, OLB

Rara
04-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Didn't someone on here want this guy? Well, we got him! Glad to see linebacker being filled now. I would like to see Curt Maggitt get signed if he's a UDFA

Jooser
04-30-2016, 06:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeJzOq1iMzw

Seems like a hybrid type. Has some nice skills.

Rara
04-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Not bad of a pick at all!

SidSmythe
04-30-2016, 06:34 PM
He plays a lot like JARVIS JONES with real speed due to his great pursuit ability.

Not exactly sure where he fits in on our DEFENSE other than SHAZIERS spot. Same with our 7b pick.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2016, 07:18 PM
He plays a lot like JARVIS JONES with real speed due to his great pursuit ability.

Not exactly sure where he fits in on our DEFENSE other than SHAZIERS spot. Same with our 7b pick.

They are 6th and 7th round depth LB's. They play on special teams. Then fill in on defense as needed if starters get hurt.

Oviedo
04-30-2016, 07:55 PM

He doesn't play like Jones if he plays with "real speed":stirpot

papillon
04-30-2016, 09:44 PM
Didn't someone on here want this guy? Well, we got him! Glad to see linebacker being filled now. I would like to see Curt Maggitt get signed if he's a UDFA

I had him in my mock as my last pick, the Steelers "reached" to take him where they took him. :p

Pappy

Iron City Inc.
04-30-2016, 10:02 PM
He should get a shot making his mark as a special team guy with us loosing a few lb's to free agency. To play olb he'll need to set an edge. So getting stronger will have to be the goal. Got the speed to run plays down. Tools to work with but in the late 6th could be a nice value.

Slapstick
04-30-2016, 11:07 PM
I've read conflicting reports...one says that he's weak against the run while another says that PFF rated him at a 9.9 run stop percentage, which was top 5 for edge defenders...along with 17.5 tackles for loss and 8 sacks....

SteelCrazy
04-30-2016, 11:10 PM
Really don't know much about him, but he looks like a good ST player to start...

SS Laser
04-30-2016, 11:41 PM
I would think 10lbs would be easy to put on maybe more and I wonder with him being a converted safety if the option to move him to ILB if needed. No reason I see that with 10lbs extra he can't play right along side of Shazier. Not sure he can ever get strong enough to play base OLB. But love the upside.
Just for squiddy he is a steal and future HOF player just like AB! 6rd for the win! :D

dreegking
04-30-2016, 11:54 PM
He is a mature, 5 years removed from high school, athletic specimen. I'd say adding ten isn't going to be easy for his body type.

We got ourselves a better Spence for special teams. Maybe i should say Garvin. Time will tell if he can help in jam mid game on the outside the way Garvin contributed a little mid games in sub packages when needed (although inside). Low pick and better already imo. Hard to go wrong with that.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-01-2016, 11:52 PM
I'd really like this pick, except for he's got two bad shoulders.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Made this mistake the other day, myself... No R in his name... it's FEENEY... see it in the thread title so had to point it out...

He is a mature, 5 years removed from high school, athletic specimen. I'd say adding ten isn't going to be easy for his body type.
Get him in the gym with Deebo and he'll add 10... and he's got a year to do it because at this point, he's depth...

SteelYinzer
05-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Apparently the Steelers tried to trade back up in 5th to take him as they had a higher grade on him. At 6'4" he could put on 20 lbs in his sleep. He'll put 10 pounds on by camp. He ran 4.41 at his pro day and was a combine darling running 4.5 forty and 40 inch vertical with 10'10" long jump.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2620495-travis-feeneys-draft-stock-rising-fast-after-blowing-up-nfl-combine

He is the exact kind of guy you want to take to develop. He was arguably the most athletic LB in the draft. I have a feeling Jones is as good as gone. This kid will be the reason they can afford that.

If he played for USC or came from SEC he'd have been a 2nd round pick like Su'a Cravens who is as close to a carbon copy as Feeney as you can imagine. You can't account for the stupidity of 80% of F.O. in the NFL that would let him fall like that. Highlight reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnaDM56cnX4

Why aren't people more excited about this?!!

feltdizz
05-02-2016, 12:12 PM
I love this pick. Dude has speed and hits with force. He will be a demon on ST's and i would love to slip him into a few blitz packages.

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Apparently the Steelers tried to trade back up in 5th to take him as they had a higher grade on him. At 6'4" he could put on 20 lbs in his sleep. He'll put 10 pounds on by camp. He ran 4.41 at his pro day and was a combine darling running 4.5 forty and 40 inch vertical with 10'10" long jump.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2620495-travis-feeneys-draft-stock-rising-fast-after-blowing-up-nfl-combine

He is the exact kind of guy you want to take to develop. He was arguably the most athletic LB in the draft. I have a feeling Jones is as good as gone. This kid will be the reason they can afford that.

If he played for USC or came from SEC he'd have been a 2nd round pick like Su'a Cravens who is as close to a carbon copy as Feeney as you can imagine. You can't account for the stupidity of 80% of F.O. in the NFL that would let him fall like that. Highlight reel.

Reality for a second...Jarvis Jones will start in 2016 and this kid will be running down kicks and punts...and that's if he is able to beat out Anthony Chickillo for a roster spot (or the team keeps 10 LB with 6 OLB and 4 ILB).

flippy
05-02-2016, 12:42 PM

I was super excited when we picked him. Of all the OLBs in the draft, this is the kid I wanted from the start. He's got the length, speed, and athleticism. Just needs to fill out his frame, but I see him with as much upside as any LB in this year's class. And having converted from S to LB, I think he's the perfect mold of LB for defending the modern NFL passing game.

But it's going to take time to develop.

In 3 years time, this kid has the tools to be the steal of this year's draft. But there's still a lot of work to get there.

phillyesq
05-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Reality for a second...Jarvis Jones will start in 2016 and this kid will be running down kicks and punts...and that's if he is able to beat out Anthony Chickillo for a roster spot (or the team keeps 10 LB with 6 OLB and 4 ILB).

Based on his profile, I actually thought he'd be an ILB, but Porter did the initial conference, so I think we can assume that he starts outside. I can see him being a great addition to special teams and agree that is where he will need to start making his living.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-02-2016, 07:10 PM

Again, bad shoulders. He's already had like four surgeries on them.

Otherwise I'd be very excited.

Shoe
05-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Again, bad shoulders. He's already had like four surgeries on them.

Otherwise I'd be very excited.

And anyone with shoulder problems will tell you that this is no little deal. Shoulder is a complex joint. And being able to use your shoulders effectively is a big deal for a LB.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-02-2016, 10:27 PM
And anyone with shoulder problems will tell you that this is no little deal. Shoulder is a complex joint. And being able to use your shoulders effectively is a big deal for a LB.

It's a big deal for me (I've had shoulder issues--never did get full use of one of them back)...I can only imagine how big a deal it would be for an NFL linebacker.

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2016, 10:37 PM
It's a big deal for me (I've had shoulder issues--never did get full use of one of them back)...I can only imagine how big a deal it would be for an NFL linebacker.

I wouldn't want my hairdresser to have a bad shoulder...that explains Bradshaw's hairdo. ;)

SteelYinzer
05-04-2016, 02:23 AM

Reality? Did I make any claims except to wonder why there isn't excitement. Must have missed where I claimed he'd be starting. Also may have missed...are you his coach and make the decision on who starts? Have a crystal ball? Pointless chiming in tbh.

Slapstick
05-04-2016, 06:24 AM
It's a message board. If the standard for a worthwhile post is that it has to have some kind of bearing on reality, then pretty much every post is "pointless"...

Oviedo
05-04-2016, 08:10 AM

I have had several visits for a partially torn rotator cuff. The doctor has always told me that the shoulder is the most complex orthopedic procedure and once you start cutting the chances are that you never will get back to where you were which is why he constantly recommends against surgery.

I think it is unlikely that Freeney has a long and successful NFL career, if at all. IMO the odds are against him, but lets hope he can defy the odds and become a star at OLB because we need one badly.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Reality? Did I make any claims except to wonder why there isn't excitement. Must have missed where I claimed he'd be starting. Also may have missed...are you his coach and make the decision on who starts? Have a crystal ball? Pointless chiming in tbh.

My crystal ball tells me that you specifically claimed that you have a feeling that the guy who started all 15 games he played in last season at OLB (Jarvis did not play in week 6 against Arizona last year due to a hip injury) is as good as gone and this kid will be the reason they can afford that.

Slapstick
05-04-2016, 10:18 AM
I have had several visits for a partially torn rotator cuff. The doctor has always told me that the shoulder is the most complex orthopedic procedure and once you start cutting the chances are that you never will get back to where you were which is why he constantly recommends against surgery.

I think it is unlikely that Freeney has a long and successful NFL career, if at all. IMO the odds are against him, but lets hope he can defy the odds and become a star at OLB because we need one badly.

Hines Ward had a distinguished, HoF caliber NFL career (and a Dancing With the Stars trophy!) without an ACL...depending on the surgeries he's had, we'll just have to see...

Coolie Man
05-04-2016, 12:54 PM
The only place Feeney is gonna start is the season on the pup list.