PDA

View Full Version : Sean Davis over Vonn Bell?

Coolie Man
04-30-2016, 10:32 AM
What do you guys think? Been reading on Davis pre draft and there are some scarey things like bad angles, missed tackles. Did they pick the wrong safety?

Slapstick
04-30-2016, 10:57 AM
Bell lasted to the end of the second round because NFL scouts apparently found his tackling to be lazy...I don't know about all that, but I don't study tapes like NFL scouts...

I guess they thought that the combo of Davis at SS and Mitchell at FS was stronger than the combo of Mitchell at SS and Bell at FS...

Also, Davis did switch positions last season from Safety to Cornerback, and there is some thought that the switch played into the problems you mention...

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2016, 11:04 AM
Maybe they see Vonn Bell as a better college player than NFL player like another former Buckeye safety Mike Doss was (i.e. maxxed out his potential already), while Sean Davis has just begun to scratch the surface of his potential. Davis seems to have the athleticism and smarts to turn into something in time...Carnell Lake sure has some raw materials to develop now with Davis and Burns both being talented but raw.

Shoe
04-30-2016, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't second-guess them in this pick. The only place I would, is where character/off-field or injury issues are there. With these two guys, I think both seem clean in those areas. The coaches know what they want... I'm happy with Davis over Bell for sure.

Oviedo
04-30-2016, 11:24 AM
After he was picked, I read somewhere (I think on Steelers.com) that the reason they picked Davis was because he could be a "coverage safety." There is more of an emphasis in what Butler wants to do on coverage ability than just a thumper like Ryan Clark.

SS Laser
04-30-2016, 11:28 AM
After he was picked, I read somewhere (I think on Steelers.com) that the reason they picked Davis was because he could be a "coverage safety." There is more of an emphasis in what Butler wants to do on coverage ability than just a thumper like Ryan Clark.
To back you up Ovi. I read were he is perfect for covering the really good athletic TE. And that is very good to have IMO.

Slapstick
04-30-2016, 11:53 AM
As a SS, he would also have the opportunity to play closer to the line, where his penchant for forcing fumbles could come into play...

steelsnis
04-30-2016, 01:45 PM

Except that Davis IS a massive hitter like Clark was.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2016, 02:07 PM
A smart, athletic coverage safety who also hits like a truck and forces fumbles as well? Sure sounds promising to me...

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2016, 03:31 PM
To me, Davis is the same player as Mike Mitchell. Not sure that he solves the need for a deep cover safety/backfield signal caller. Maybe the Steelers are not really figuring Davis so much to start opposite Mitchell as to replace him in 2017.

dreegking
05-01-2016, 12:18 AM
Davis is the right pick for sure. We won't have to see Shazier in coverage unless its the perfect match. And we won't have to watch Timmons match up 30 yards down field and keep him where he is best. It's going to be a great pick. 6 games in, once he has it figured out -- look out. Worse case scenario, it allows everyone else to do more of what they do best.

phillyesq
05-01-2016, 08:41 AM
I'm fine with this - I wasn't a big Vonn Bell guy. Bell doesn't have the speed or the hitting ability of Davis. Even though Davis was rough at corner, he was much better at safety by all accounts.

Steelhere10
05-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Over 330 tackles in college while playing a year at corner, don't sound like a bad angle tackler to me. Sounds like a perfect pick.

SteelDecipher
05-01-2016, 10:33 PM
To me, Davis is the same player as Mike Mitchell. Not sure that he solves the need for a deep cover safety/backfield signal caller. Maybe the Steelers are not really figuring Davis so much to start opposite Mitchell as to replace him in 2017.

I'm thinking that is exactly the plan, given the comment- "We'll start him out at SS."

Hopefully he develops- and can really utilize his speed and range as a single high FS in a couple seasons.

Shawn
05-03-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm fine with this - I wasn't a big Vonn Bell guy. Bell doesn't have the speed or the hitting ability of Davis. Even though Davis was rough at corner, he was much better at safety by all accounts. I'll disagree. Davis isn't the better safety. He is the more athlete safety with more upside. Bell did nothing but make plays for the Buckeyes. He was an impressive safety. He is more technically sound and more NFL ready IMO. With that said, Bell is closer to his peak. Davis has barely scratched his and that's why he was the right pick. Bell is smallish, not as athletic. I think the Steelers made the right pick but I do believe Bell was the better college safety by a long shot.

phillyesq
05-03-2016, 09:41 AM
I'll disagree. Davis isn't the better safety. He is the more athlete safety with more upside. Bell did nothing but make plays for the Buckeyes. He was an impressive safety. He is more technically sound and more NFL ready IMO. With that said, Bell is closer to his peak. Davis has barely scratched his and that's why he was the right pick. Bell is smallish, not as athletic. I think the Steelers made the right pick but I do believe Bell was the better college safety by a long shot.

To clarify, I meant that Davis played better at safety than he did at corner - not saying that he was a better college safety than Vonn Bell.

I heard some of the post draft commentary from the local media, and they said that the size difference - Davis is 3-4" taller - was a big factor. They prefer a big safety like that to match up with guys like Gronk and Eifert, and that is a valid point. You can't teach size.

Shawn
05-03-2016, 03:20 PM
To clarify, I meant that Davis played better at safety than he did at corner - not saying that he was a better college safety than Vonn Bell.

I heard some of the post draft commentary from the local media, and they said that the size difference - Davis is 3-4" taller - was a big factor. They prefer a big safety like that to match up with guys like Gronk and Eifert, and that is a valid point. You can't teach size. Ah I got ya. Yeah I agree. You can't teach Davis' speed and size. You need guys who can match up with those big athletic TEs and I agree Bell isn't that guy. It's why I wasn't upset that the Steelers passed on Bell.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-03-2016, 06:18 PM
The Steelers have been going in this direction on D for a few years now. They are placing a ton of value on speed and athleticism. Ovi will insist that this is because of Jarvis Jones ;), but as it happens, he might have been the last D draft pick who was not the "faster, more athletic" alternative.

Shazier over Mosely
Dupree last year
Burns
Davis
Hargrave

There is a pattern here. The team is going away from the big thumper and towards the fast athlete, who usually needs time to develop.

Iron City Inc.
05-03-2016, 06:25 PM
I see Mitchell continuing as our fs and remain in single high often. Davis to me will be closer to the los and get walked out into coverage and that is where he will earn his keep. If he can cover te's and some wr's as well as fire off slot coverage he will do everything we asked Thomas to do but didn't get the results we were looking for. He'll be a cat at camp I'll keep an eye on and we'll just have to see how quick he grasps defensive concepts.

Captain Lemming
05-03-2016, 10:04 PM
The Steelers have been going in this direction on D for a few years now. They are placing a ton of value on speed and athleticism. Ovi will insist that this is because of Jarvis Jones ;), but as it happens, he might have been the last D draft pick who was not the "faster, more athletic" alternative.

Shazier over Mosely
Dupree last year
Burns
Davis
Hargrave

There is a pattern here. The team is going away from the big thumper and towards the fast athlete, who usually needs time to develop.

I started a thread on this months ago. We have been having great success with raw but athletic for years. From fast Willie, to Ike, Timmons, to to Wallace, to Bryant, to Shazier, to Dupree. Alejandro at LT was RIDICULOUSLY raw but athletic. I have no doubt that this success leads to more focus on athletes with upside over all-American college stars who have peaked.