PDA

View Full Version : Well, So Far It Appears...

Slapstick
04-30-2016, 07:49 AM
...that the Steelers have locked up the future of their defensive secondary, for better or worse....

For the next few years, we will have veterans William Gay, Mike Mitchell, and Robert Golden (not counting Shamarko here as I currently do not believe that he will be around for the next few years, though he could surprise us all, I suppose)...

Then, we have young players Ross Cockrell, Senquez Golson, Doran Grant, Artie Burns, and Sean Davis...

That's 9 DBs...we may add another, either in the draft or prior to training camp, but it looks very much to me as though this is what we're going with in 2016...

I will say that I have higher hopes for this group than I did for last year's group at the beginning of the season...I figured Boykin was a one-year rental and I hoped Blake would not be retained...Cockrell surprised me when he got on the field and even more when he took advantage of some turnovers....Golson's injury and Holliman's failure to make the roster were disappointing...

Hope springs eternal for 2016 and 2017...

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2016, 11:20 AM
I think we add one more DB in round 6 or 7...maybe Burns' teammate S Deon Bush or Colorado CB Ken Crawley. We've also shown significant interest in Trae Elston from Ole Miss as well.

Oviedo
04-30-2016, 11:32 AM
I think we add one more DB in round 6 or 7...maybe Burns' teammate S Deon Bush or Colorado CB Ken Crawley. We've also shown significant interest in Trae Elston from Ole Miss as well.

Brian Poole from Florida as late pick or UDFA.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2016, 11:46 AM
If Jeremy Cash is still there in round 4, he could be the pick. He's the in the box type safety that Sean Davis is not.

Also, if undersized Akron OLB Jatavis Brown is there, maybe they see him as a LB/S hybrid who can also rush the passer that is en vogue today in "Big Nickel."

Rara
04-30-2016, 12:40 PM
I'd be all for Jatavis Brown if he drops to the fifth. Currently am hoping for Westerman or Vadal Alexander (I just got done with my last day at my job and moving onto another..so I'm sorry if they've already been drafted.

flippy
04-30-2016, 12:43 PM
Like how we're now changing our focus on D players and targeting guys that can get and create turnovers. Since Lebeau is gone, we seem to be focused on a different kind of defender being the priority. Not sure if Butler has any control or it's just Tomlin asserting himself more?

Slapstick
04-30-2016, 12:46 PM
I would bet that, after all their experience together (both with the Steelers and in college), the two of them are in lockstep...Tomlin has never been the micromanaging type...

Rara
04-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Correction...to the sixth, not fifth round...considering we don't have a fifth round pick.