PDA

View Full Version : Why I dont "freak out"

Captain Lemming
04-30-2016, 01:10 AM
"We reached for need at corner instead of BPA at NT"
"We will never get a good tackle now".

"Scouting report says.....blah, blah, blah"

Bwaaahaa. Had a CHOICE between the tackles people wanted in round one FOR THREE ROUNDS and picked the one we wanted AFTER shoring up our pathetic secondary.
Looks like we DINT reach after all. The nosetackles we coveted were NOT first round OR EVEN SECOND ROUND picks.

Truth is WE DONT KNOW if another team would have scooped up Burns had we passed. How can I say that? Because most were surprised with THE ENTIRE TWO DAYS when it came to secondary and interior defensive linemen.

What we do know is THE ENTIRE LEAGUE passed on Billings, not once but through THREE ROUNDS. He STILL is homeless as a hobo.

We got the one we wanted our NT of the future in Hargrave in the third and could pick between him AND Billings, something NOBODY HERE EXPECTED before the draft started.

Therefore, if we went with one of the NTs everyone THOUGHT we were going to take in the first THAT would have been a reach. :)

Captain Lemming
04-30-2016, 01:19 AM
"A great week of practice has led up to Saturday's East-West Shrine Game. This game produces NFL starters and, on occasion, superstars.
More than 100 players are selected based on their potential to make an NFL roster with the consensus of all 32 NFL teams taken into consideration. They get their chance to leave an impression with NFL scouts every year, showing off their athleticism against top-level competition while proving to league personnel men that they can take coaching and absorb new information in a short period of time. "

Commentary on the players:
"South Carolina State defensive tackle Javon Hargrave (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/javon-hargrave?id=2555239) has been the best player here. He has an excellent combination of quickness and power. He dominated the one-on-one drills."

Hargraves one criticism is the low level competition he dominated. The comments about the allstar game should put those concerns to rest.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-30-2016, 03:12 AM
Well, since we're talking what we personally think.... I wanted Reed as my 1st round NT (though I presumed he'd be gone by our pick)... I mentioned billings a number of times -- based in experts assessment that he'd be the last of the 1st round quality NT's to go off the board...

having said that, I believe someone here made reference to an injury billings has that has caused his slide..

Iron City Inc.
04-30-2016, 06:05 AM
My bud Alex over at the Depot wrote an article about month or so back and it indicated Hargrave would have to be taken at 59 and that he would not slide to our 3rd. This is because he was at times so dominant against lower level of comp and how well he performed in the post season..He has a great low center of gravity and wins the leverage game more often then not. However his quicks on the get off allow him to out leverage some O linemen. This along with great hand use gives him some decent pass rush ability. That will be the key as he'll be best for us if on occasion if he can play the 3 n 5.
Not the longest dude but at 310 he should be fine at the 0 n 1 and when needed slide to the 3 n 5.
So for those who believe we got a 2nd round corner at 1 perhaps you'll feel better knowing we got a 2nd round DL in the 3rd.

RobinCole
04-30-2016, 09:20 AM
Donny Shell played at South Carolina State and one of his teammates then was Harry Carson, who went on to be a HOF linebacker for the NY Giants.

SidSmythe
04-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Very excited about Hargraves!!
Very excited about the potential of all 3 picks. We might not see the Fruits of these picks in 2016 but I'm hoping Hargraves gets in the rotation and Smith is the next Lee Flowers of the Special Teams (but hope he plays safety better).

Captain Lemming
04-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Well, since we're talking what we personally think.... I wanted Reed as my 1st round NT (though I presumed he'd be gone by our pick)... I mentioned billings a number of times -- based in experts assessment that he'd be the last of the 1st round quality NT's to go off the board...

having said that, I believe someone here made reference to an injury billings has that has caused his slide..

But Reed is slow and plodding. Zero pass rush. Came out is pass rush situations IN COLLEGE.
Our guy Hargrave is THE FASTEST NT WE HAVE EVER HAD and is an interior pass rush beast.

We wanted a pass rushing NT that could stay in on some passing downs to spell our DEs who often become tackles in passing downs. Check this out:

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/John_Mitchell_on_DT_Javon_Hargrave/2c88cbd3-cae4-409b-a64a-f87b14cc73ef

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Steelers_take_DT_Javon_Hargrave_89th_overall/c88b121b-f32d-47d4-8846-ff4daecbb2a8

flippy
04-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Given that the odds are against every pick becoming an All Pro, it's more logical to be pessimistic. You'll be right most of the time. If that's what's important to you, of course. :)

SteelerOfDeVille
04-30-2016, 01:18 PM
But Reed is slow and plodding. Zero pass rush. Came out is pass rush situations IN COLLEGE.
Our guy Hargrave is THE FASTEST NT WE HAVE EVER HAD and is an interior pass rush beast.

We wanted a pass rushing NT that could stay in on some passing downs to spell our DEs who often become tackles in passing downs. Check this out:

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/John_Mitchell_on_DT_Javon_Hargrave/2c88cbd3-cae4-409b-a64a-f87b14cc73ef

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Steelers_take_DT_Javon_Hargrave_89th_overall/c88b121b-f32d-47d4-8846-ff4daecbb2a8
I understand the difference... I prefer a NT that requires a double-team and frees the LBs... I wanted another Hampton, and IMO, Rees was the closest thing in this draft to that...

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2016, 05:17 PM
Pick grades so far according to CBS Sports:

2016 NFL DRAFT EXPERT ANALYSIS:
PETE PRISCO RNDS 1-3
SPENCER HALL RNDS 4-7

TEAM: PITTSBURGH

Artie Burns | CB, Miami (Fla.)
Height: 6-0 Weight: 193
He's got a ton of athletic ability and he fills a big-time need. Solid pick.
B

Sean Davis | CB, Maryland
Height: 6-1 Weight: 201
Love this pick. Love this kid. The Steelers get a safety with range who can cover and tackle. Secondary is fixed.
A+

Javon Hargrave | DT, South Carolina State
Height: 6-1 Weight: 309
They needed depth for their front and this is an impressive kid. Scouts raved about him. Raw, but talented.
B

Jerald Hawkins | OT, LSU
Height: 6-6 Weight: 305
Three-year starter with experience at both LT and RT.
B

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

SteelCrazy
04-30-2016, 11:06 PM
I really like Hargraves. I think he is already our best NT.

dreegking
05-01-2016, 12:00 AM
That will be McCullers role. Don't give up on that guy. He was so raw and so big, he needs three years minimum to show value. He will be the clog when it is needed. Hargraves will be other. And in short yardage or run down on goal line, don't be surprised when they are side by side.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Pick grades so far according to CBS Sports:

2016 NFL DRAFT EXPERT ANALYSIS:
PETE PRISCO RNDS 1-3
SPENCER HALL RNDS 4-7

TEAM: PITTSBURGH

Artie Burns | CB, Miami (Fla.)
Height: 6-0 Weight: 193
He's got a ton of athletic ability and he fills a big-time need. Solid pick.
B

Sean Davis | CB, Maryland
Height: 6-1 Weight: 201
Love this pick. Love this kid. The Steelers get a safety with range who can cover and tackle. Secondary is fixed.
A+

Javon Hargrave | DT, South Carolina State
Height: 6-1 Weight: 309
They needed depth for their front and this is an impressive kid. Scouts raved about him. Raw, but talented.
B

4 A
Jerald Hawkins | OT, LSU
Height: 6-6 Weight: 305
Three-year starter with experience at both LT and RT.
B

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

Grades for the rest out our pick from the same source:

6 220
Travis Feeney | OLB, Washington
Height: 6-4 Weight: 230
A converted safety, Feeney is a tremendous athlete for the LB position, showing some pass rush ability, though has some concerns regarding his play, strength and frame.
C+

7 229
Demarcus Ayers | WR, Houston
Height: 5-09 Weight: 182
A playmaking WR for the Cougars. Extremely versatile scoring a TD in every way possible, catching, running, passing and returning.
A

Tyler Matakevich | ILB, Temple
Height: 6-0 Weight: 238
Not the best athlete, but is a tackling machine with 493 tackles in his college career. Team first attitude, high motor overachiever who coaches will love. Possible starting potential.
A