PDA

View Full Version : Draft haul could determine how Steelers proceed with Jarvis Jones

Jooser
04-26-2016, 09:22 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/26/draft-haul-could-determine-how-steelers-proceed-with-jarvis-jones/

Draft haul could determine how Steelers proceed with Jarvis Jones

Posted by Josh Alper on April 26, 2016, 7:41 AM EDT

Linebacker Jarvis Jones was the Steelers’ first-round pick in 2013 and the results of the 2016 draft will likely go a long way toward determining whether the team exercises their contract option on Jones for the 2017 season.

The deadline to enact the option falls on May 3 and Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert offered no hint about which way the Steelers are leaning in regard to Jones during a Monday press conference. He did say that the results of the draft will impact contract decisions for veteran members of the team, however.

“We won’t talk about specific contract-type issues, but I think it is safe to say once we get through the draft, it will affect how we do business with our veteran players from that point forward,” Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The Steelers followed up the Jones selection by taking linebackers Ryan Shazier and Bud Dupree in the first round of the last two drafts, so they will have several decisions to make at the position in the coming years. Jones, who would make over $8.3 million under the option, has 87 tackles and five sacks while playing in 36 games over his first three seasons.

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 09:51 AM
It could also determine how the Steelers proceed with Lawrence Timmons...or with Ross Cockrell...or with any number of players with one year remaining on their contract...

That being said, Jarvis is the one that stands to lose the most if they decline his option...

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 10:05 AM
If Leonard Floyd falls to #25...
If Kamalei Correa falls to #58...
If Kyler Fackrell falls to #89...
If Yannick Ngakoue falls to #123...

Oviedo
04-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Lets hope it happens so we can get a viable option at Right OLB. I also like Alex McCalister out of Florida in Round 4.

I just hope the front office doesn't commit to another year of mediocrity.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 10:28 AM
NFLDraftScout (CBS Sports) gives McAlister 7th round or free agent projection.

NFL.com gives McAlister a 6th or 7th round projection.

He has character red flags after being suspended twice for violating team rules and then ultimately being dismissed from the team.

He also is coming off a foot injury that he sustained in November.

Has the athletic traits that you look for in a pass rusher, but lacks instincts and struggles vs. the run.

I'll take Jarvis Jones over this guy any day.

SidSmythe
04-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Jarvis Jones FATE will be sealed by our CAP situation.

No ROOKIE will be projected to see the field (unless someone falls to us in the 1st round unexpectedly). That happened last year and even he wasn't expected to see the field by his Draft Status.

So moving forward (and this is coming from JJ's #1 hater day 1) I see no reason to let JONES go at this point UNLESS it's to make space for an unexpected veteran OLB to move into his spot .... or the Steelers can find a better way to use his cap space (such as contract extensions if the numbers work that way).

This reminds me of WORILDS Final year. Was he worth $10 million?? Absolutely not.....however since we weren't going to use that CAP space he was given another year by default with the hopes he would give us a viable starter at his position.

UNLESS the Steelers find a better way to use that CAP SPACE, Jarvis Jones will be a STEELER this season.

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 11:06 AM
This is Jarvis' fourth year...his fifth year option won't come until the 2017 season...the Steelers have until May 3rd to decide on that option, but it can still be rescinded at a later date...

Jones will definitely be a Steeler next season and will be playing significant snaps...

Oviedo
04-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Jarvis Jones FATE will be sealed by our CAP situation.

No ROOKIE will be projected to see the field (unless someone falls to us in the 1st round unexpectedly). That happened last year and even he wasn't expected to see the field by his Draft Status.

So moving forward (and this is coming from JJ's #1 hater day 1) I see no reason to let JONES go at this point UNLESS it's to make space for an unexpected veteran OLB to move into his spot .... or the Steelers can find a better way to use his cap space (such as contract extensions if the numbers work that way).

This reminds me of WORILDS Final year. Was he worth $10 million?? Absolutely not.....however since we weren't going to use that CAP space he was given another year by default with the hopes he would give us a viable starter at his position.

UNLESS the Steelers find a better way to use that CAP SPACE, Jarvis Jones will be a STEELER this season.

As someone else who never liked the Jones pick, the issue isn't this year. He is on the team this year. The issue is 2017 and whether they pick up his option year the first week of may. Like you said, its all about finding someone better which really shouldn't be hard if they target the position in Rounds 1-4. If they don't then yes, they will likely pick up his option and we will see more of the same. I am hopeful Dupree can become what Jones never will.

Oviedo
04-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Jones will definitely be a Steeler next season and will be playing significant snaps...

Just like last year. The question is what will he do with those snaps? More of the mediocre same or take the next step. We all have to hope it is the latter because that would help the team out greatly.

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Jones was solid, if unspectacular, last season...

Oviedo
04-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Jones was solid, if unspectacular, last season...

I think we can both agree, but let's not engage in revisionist history. He was drafted to sack Quarterbacks not to be good at the other things he gets praised for on occasion. Those are unmeasureables with the oh so famous "eye test."

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 11:23 AM
I think we can both agree, but let's not engage in revisionist history. He was drafted to sack Quarterbacks not to be good at the other things he gets praised for on occasion. Those are unmeasureables with the oh so famous "eye test."

It's a good thing that Jarvis is good at "the other things"...it enables our exceptional DL to pursue the QB...if those guys aren't plugging gaps, somebody has to be there to fill...or, drop into coverage...

With our defense as it currently stands, I will happily take another year of him not being run over in the run game and effectively dropping into coverage...

feltdizz
04-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Jones is solid in the run, terrible at pressuring the QB. I think our sack totals were up as a whole last year, I'm OK with another year of JJ.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 01:12 PM
As someone else who never liked the Jones pick

You don't say...:)

Iron City Inc.
04-26-2016, 01:28 PM

Every year someone falls but I don't think Floyd even gets to the teens before he is picked. Pass rushers mostly go early.

Oviedo
04-26-2016, 01:30 PM
You don't say...:)

...and he hasn't done anything to prove me wrong...yet.;) Let's hope he does this season.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Every year someone falls but I don't think Floyd even gets to the teens before he is picked. Pass rushers mostly go early.

I have Floyd going in the top 10 to Tampa, actually...but, hey, things rarely go the way I think they are going to, though.

Iron City Inc.
04-26-2016, 06:46 PM
I have Floyd going in the top 10 to Tampa, actually...but, hey, things rarely go the way I think they are going to, though.

I'm with you on Floyd going early. It would take an injury to have a guy take a late fall. Jack for example with his knee being a ????

SidSmythe
04-27-2016, 08:00 AM
This year I'd use JJ in the weak side OLB position of a 3-3-5 Defense.
In the base he's going to have to play on the line but once we are in passing situations I think his strength is playing OFF the line. Let him STUNT to get to the QB.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2016, 10:02 AM
This year I'd use JJ in the weak side OLB position of a 3-3-5 Defense.
In the base he's going to have to play on the line but once we are in passing situations I think his strength is playing OFF the line. Let him STUNT to get to the QB.

In a 3-3-5, Shazier would be the Will backer, Timmons would be the Mack, and Jarvis would be the Sam.

Slapstick
04-27-2016, 10:18 AM
In a 3-3-5, Shazier would be the Will backer, Timmons would be the Mack, and Jarvis would be the Sam.

It is also possible that Shazier would be the S/LB hybrid in that alignment...with Jones as the Will and Dupree as the Sam...

Or, put Dupree as the Sam, Vince Williams as the Mike and Timmons as the Will...then, walk Dupree down to the line and move into a 4-2-5...

Oviedo
04-27-2016, 10:18 AM

Could Jones really play the Sam given the pass coverage responsibilities playing on the TE side? He is our least athletic LB.

Slapstick
04-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Could Jones really play the Sam given the pass coverage responsibilities playing on the TE side? He is our least athletic LB.

But, somehow, is good in coverage...

SidSmythe
04-27-2016, 12:57 PM

Sam would play S(am)trong Side....I propose him at the W(ill)eak Side. I do NOT want to see him covering anyone except Matt Spaeth! LoL

Oviedo
04-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Sam would play S(am)trong Side....I propose him at the W(ill)eak Side. I do NOT want to see him covering anyone except Matt Spaeth! LoL

We agree. He can't cover good TEs.