PDA

View Full Version : who are we going to draft?

squidkid
04-24-2016, 11:08 AM
there seems to be less info out on who we are targeting this year compared to other years.
unless some info comes out the next few days, it seems as tho the steelers arent tipping their hand this year.
i like it

buccoray61
04-24-2016, 01:46 PM
I don't know if the Steelers are being more secretive of there is so much uncertainty about what other teams are going to do. There have already been two big trades and a suprise free agent(Norman) hitting the market.Whatever the reason,you are right in that there are less rumors about what the Steelers plan to do.

8467thekraken
04-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Been a Billings lobbyist for a while.

But if he isn't available, take Alexander if he falls.

After these two, take Cravens. I believe Cravens will get slotted a lot higher once analysts conduct a draft do-over near the middle/end of the 2016 season.
It will look like a reach at first, but will turn into shear genius when all is said and done.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Still don't see a CB in 1st. I'm thinking Billings or pass rusher will be highest grade left.

SidSmythe
04-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Billings or Fuller in the 1st would satisfy my palate.

phillyesq
04-25-2016, 11:11 AM
It wouldn't shock me to see a safety in the first - not that I'd want the Steelers to go that way, but I could see that. Especially if they trade down a few slots with Denver as many have speculated.

If they stay put, I think there is a good chance they grab a defensive lineman. I don't particularly like any of the corners from a value perspective.

One guy who could also be interesting is Noah Spence. I'm not sure that I'd want them to go that way, but if his character checks out, he could be a nice add.

buccoray61
04-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Thursday night could really be interesting.Sam Bradford announced he wants traded and will not attend any off season workouts.NFL Network said the Jags could trade out of the 5 pick,Tennessee might want to move back into the top 10,Cleveland could move further back,and where Lynch goes. Shaping up to be must see TV

flippy
04-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Since this is the first time I didn't consider a TE in the first round for the Steelers, I bet they go with Hunter Henry. He legit could be the best player on the board when we pick. It wouldn't hurt going for a complete TE in the mold of Heath Miller.

I've always liked the idea of having 2 TEs in the redzone that are legit receiving threats. And with Martavis Bryant's off field issues, why not get another big body to help the running game, open up the passing game, and slow down the pass rush? There's so much versatility in a 2 TE set if you have 2 legit playmakers that can block and run routes.

This could be the kind of move you make to give the Offense the potential to dominate for the remainder of Ben's career.

feltdizz
04-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Since this is the first time I didn't consider a TE in the first round for the Steelers, I bet they go with Hunter Henry. He legit could be the best player on the board when we pick. It wouldn't hurt going for a complete TE in the mold of Heath Miller.

I've always liked the idea of having 2 TEs in the redzone that are legit receiving threats. And with Martavis Bryant's off field issues, why not get another big body to help the running game, open up the passing game, and slow down the pass rush? There's so much versatility in a 2 TE set if you have 2 legit playmakers that can block and run routes.

This could be the kind of move you make to give the Offense the potential to dominate for the remainder of Ben's career.

I would be upset if this was the pick

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Thursday night could really be interesting.Sam Bradford announced he wants traded and will not attend any off season workouts.NFL Network said the Jags could trade out of the 5 pick,Tennessee might want to move back into the top 10,Cleveland could move further back,and where Lynch goes. Shaping up to be must see TV

I could see Bradford being traded to the Jets or Broncos for a 3rd or a 4th (Philly does not have a 2nd or 4th round pick in this draft anymore following their trades). With the Eagles already paying him his signing bonus money, the remaining base salaries should be somewhat palatable to his new team.

I could easily see Tennessee trading back up into the top 5 to take Laremy Tunsil, who they would have likely taken at #1 if they stayed put anyway. LA: Goff (I prefer Wentz, but the Rams apparently like Goff better), PHI: Wentz (they get whichever QB isn't a Ram), SD: Ramsey (to replace Weddle), DAL: Bosa (Greg Hardy is gone and Randy Gregory/Demarcus Lawrence are both suspended for the first 4 games, so their biggest need is a pass rusher). I expected the Jags to then take Myles Jack, but recent reports about his knee might push him out of the top 10. Tennessee would need to get ahead of Baltimore to get Tunsil, so 1.5 = 1700 points and 1.15 + 2.45 + 3.76 = 1710 points. This move would give the Titans Tunsil, plus they would still have two second round picks and a third round pick, plus they extra 1st and 3rd next year. That would be a coup for them. And then Jacksonville could move down to the middle of the first round (where they could possibly get a Leonard Floyd or Shaq Lawson or Darren Lee), and then have two picks each in round 2 and round 3...awesome for them as well. And Baltimore wouldn't get Tunsil, which works for me.

Finally I could see the Dolphins giving the Browns their 2nd round pick to move back to their original draft position at #8 to get Ezekiel Elliott, since they lost their starting RB in free agency and then tried unsuccessfully to sign multiple RB's in free agency.

Oviedo
04-25-2016, 12:27 PM

As much as I have pushed for a TE in the past, this would not be a pick I would like. Go DL or OL.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2016, 12:33 PM

I was firmly on this bandwagon before we signed Ladarius Green, because I thought that Jesse James showed the ability to be a solid #2 complementary TE, but not necessarily a #1 TE. But with Green signed, I'm satisfied with Green as our TE1 and James as our TE2 going forward.

The only way that would consider a TE with any of our early picks would be extraordinarily value...if Henry fell to 58 and there was not comparable value at CB, S, or DT available there, I'd consider it. Similarly if Hooper fell to 89 or Vannett fell to 123.

calmkiller
04-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Andrew Billings DT Baylor or Karl Joseph S WVU would be my two guesses at this point. Although something crazy might happen and someone falls.

buccoray61
04-25-2016, 01:52 PM
I saw some mocks on NFL.com and from Peter King that are pimping Artie Burns to the Steelers. IMO that would be a big reach at 25.

buccoray61
04-25-2016, 02:03 PM
With a draft this fluid,it's critical to trust your scouts,and stay true to your board.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2016, 02:04 PM
My preferences are a top tier CB first (V. Hargreaves, E. Apple, W. Jackson)...if not, then a top tier DT (J. Reed, A. Billings, V. Butler)...and finally a top tier safety (K. Joseph, V. Bell, K. Neal).

Then consider a second tier CB (M. Alexander, K. Fuller, A. Burns), a second tier DT (A. Johnson, K. Clark, C. Jones), and finally a second tier safety (J. Cash, T.J. Green, D. Thompson).

I love to be able to somehow land two top tier players with from that first list with our first two picks (I won't argue the specifics of whether, say, Apple and Bell is better than Billings and Neal or whatever), and then get one of the second tier guys from that second list without our third pick (preferably at the position that we haven't taken yet, but I'm not necessarily afraid of, say, double-dipping at corner like I did in the Sirius Football Heads mock with William Jackson III and Mackenzie Alexander with my top two picks).

Oviedo
04-25-2016, 03:10 PM
My preferences are a top tier CB first (V. Hargreaves, E. Apple, W. Jackson)...if not, then a top tier DT (J. Reed, A. Billings, V. Butler)...and finally a top tier safety (K. Joseph, V. Bell, K. Neal).

Then consider a second tier CB (M. Alexander, K. Fuller, A. Burns), a second tier DT (A. Johnson, K. Clark, C. Jones), and finally a second tier safety (J. Cash, T.J. Green, D. Thompson).

I love to be able to somehow land two top tier players with from that first list with our first two picks (I won't argue the specifics of whether, say, Apple and Bell is better than Billings and Neal or whatever), and then get one of the second tier guys from that second list without our third pick (preferably at the position that we haven't taken yet, but I'm not necessarily afraid of, say, double-dipping at corner like I did in the Sirius Football Heads mock with William Jackson III and Mackenzie Alexander with my top two picks).

Is Hargreaves 1st Tier? Everything I've seen the past week has him dropping like a rock and I've seen Burns move up into Round 1.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Is Hargreaves 1st Tier? Everything I've seen the past week has him dropping like a rock and I've seen Burns move up into Round 1.

Where did you hear that? Hargreaves is the #1 pure CB in the draft (Jalen Ramsey will get selected before him, but he is somewhat of a CB/S hybrid type). There was a rumor floating around last week of Hargreaves failing a drug test at the combine, but that was debunked as being from one of those hoaxes trying to impersonate Adam Schefter and Ian Rapoport. The league recently confirmed that no one failed a drug test at the combine this year. This is the only "dropping like a rock" explanation that I can come up with, since I don't see any way that Hargreaves does not come off the board in the top half of round 1.

squidkid
04-25-2016, 05:02 PM

i would lose my mind(not in a good way)
s. cb. dl, olb in some order for the first 4 rounds

squidkid
04-25-2016, 05:05 PM

i agree wholeheartedly with your thinking except i dont like the idea of drafting a guy with a blown out knee in the first

Iron City Inc.
04-25-2016, 09:40 PM

That 2nd round pool seems likely one of those guys slide to 58. If it started Jackson n Johnson I would not be complaining.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Steelers Luck... Billings falls to Steelers from CB run? Joseph falls to Steelers in 2nd? I bet that's the 1-2 at positions the Steelers are hoping for. Two rookies can top the depth chart there quickly.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Steelers Luck... Billings falls to Steelers from CB run? Joseph falls to Steelers in 2nd? I bet that's the 1-2 at positions the Steelers are hoping for. Two rookies can top the depth chart there quickly.

In the 8 man mock draft that Ike Taylor did on NFL Network this weekend with Charlie Casserly, Steve Marriucci, Michael Irvin, Maurice Jones-Drew, and others...at #25 both Eli Apple and William Jackson III were available...and Ike chose Andrew Billings for the Steelers.

Iron City Inc.
04-26-2016, 06:14 AM
In the 8 man mock draft that Ike Taylor did on NFL Network this weekend with Charlie Casserly, Steve Marriucci, Michael Irvin, Maurice Jones-Drew, and others...at #25 both Eli Apple and William Jackson III were available...and Ike chose Andrew Billings for the Steelers.
If it played out like this I would believe you have to consider trading down to 27 to Packers and get a 4 back. Packers need a 0 tech. Then pick up one of the corners. It would not be a bad situation for us provided we have Apple n Jackson that close on our board. A corner plus a mid round pick would be a great start for us.

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 06:18 AM
If it played out like this I would believe you have to consider trading down to 27 to Packers and get a 4 back. Packers need a 0 tech. Then pick up one of the corners. It would not be a bad situation for us provided we have Apple n Jackson that close on our board. A corner plus a mid round pick would be a great start for us.

Given this scenario, I might prefer to have Billings.

Oviedo
04-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Saw that and great choice. I'll trust Ike knows something. Can get DBs later. Build he front 7 to the best in the NL.

Shawn
04-26-2016, 07:41 AM
I'm convinced it will be top DB on the board. Why? Because DL is less of a need and very deep. So they can get a first round DL talent in the second. But that's not the case with DB. Second, the Steelers play about 50% nickle yet have no real DBs to do so. They need to get out of the mentality that OLBs are the premium and realize DBs, safety/lbr hybrids are the new 3-4 OLB. So I believe it's the best left of Apple, Vonn Bell, Alexander, Jackson.

Sword
04-26-2016, 07:43 AM
I believe, unless a top draft prospect (BPP) lands for us we trade down with NE or Denver at least for more draft picks.

SidSmythe
04-26-2016, 08:12 AM
I believe, unless a top draft prospect (BPP) lands for us we trade down with NE or Denver at least for more draft picks.

Trade down what with N.E.?? To the bottom of the 2nd??

phillyesq
04-26-2016, 08:42 AM
I'm convinced it will be top DB on the board. Why? Because DL is less of a need and very deep. So they can get a first round DL talent in the second. But that's not the case with DB. Second, the Steelers play about 50% nickle yet have no real DBs to do so. They need to get out of the mentality that OLBs are the premium and realize DBs, safety/lbr hybrids are the new 3-4 OLB. So I believe it's the best left of Apple, Vonn Bell, Alexander, Jackson.

I don't think that defensive line is less of a need. The Steelers are very thin behind Tuitt and Heyward, and have nothing behind the unproven McCullers.

The secondary is a need as well, don't get me wrong. But I'd hate to reach for a DB over an elite defensive lineman.

SidSmythe
04-26-2016, 08:49 AM
I don't think that defensive line is less of a need. The Steelers are very thin behind Tuitt and Heyward, and have nothing behind the unproven McCullers.

The secondary is a need as well, don't get me wrong. But I'd hate to reach for a DB over an elite defensive lineman.

I'm going with BPA at the time (between a DB and a DT)
To be honest the DEPTH on the DLINE is scary.....but so is the depth in the Secondary (and OLB).

feltdizz
04-26-2016, 08:51 AM

IMO a better/deeper DL makes the DB's look so much better.

Pressure is the name of the game IMO.

Northern_Blitz
04-26-2016, 09:02 AM
IMO a better/deeper DL makes the DB's look so much better.

Pressure is the name of the game IMO.

I think that's true, but the opposite is probably also true. If you can make the QB go one option deeper in his progression, you'll probably get a bunch more hurries and sacks.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Trade down what with N.E.?? To the bottom of the 2nd??

According to the draft trade chart:
1.25 = 720 points

2.60 = 300 points
2.61 = 292 points
3.91 = 136 points
Total = 728 points

If Belichick is desperate to get his first round pick back and is willing to give up two late 2nd rounders and a late 3rd rounder for it, then I'm certainly game (that's not the way the hoodie typically operates, though, because after picking at #25, he would only have his 3rd round comp pick then 5 picks in the 6th round and 2 picks in the 7th round. I can't imagine he would want to exchange 4 day two picks for 1 day one pick and 1 day two pick).

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Steelers GM Colbert, coach Tomlin promise to have 'capable secondary'

April 25, 2016 6:03 PM

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers say they have nothing against cornerbacks, even though their track record might indicate otherwise.

This will be the 17th draft that general manager Kevin Colbert oversees for them. He has yet to draft a cornerback in the first round, although many believe that will change Thursday night in Chicago.

“Where we’ve chosen those guys was more reflective on who was available at that point,” Colbert said Monday at his annual predraft news conference with coach Mike Tomlin. “I can’t say we intentionally ignored that position. It just happened to break that way.”

The Steelers have not drafted a cornerback in the first round since Chad Scott in 1997, the third corner drafted by them in the first round in 11 years (Deon Figures, 1993; Rod Woodson, 1987). Since then, they have drafted three in the second round with spotty results — Ricardo Colclough in 2004, Bryant McFadden in 2005 and Senquez Golson a year ago.

The need for cornerbacks and safeties in this draft seems more urgent than ever for the Steelers. They lost two of their top three corners in free agency, cut Cortez Allen and did not re-sign starting safety Will Allen, who remains a free agent.

They return just two starters in that secondary, veterans Mike Mitchell at safety and William Gay at cornerback. Other than backup cornerback Ross Cockrell, there is little or no experience elsewhere.

Two cornerbacks chosen in the 2015 draft virtually did not play — Golson missed the season after shoulder surgery, and fourth-rounder Doran Grant was cut then rejoined the team and made it in for one defensive play.

The Steelers ranked as the third-worst pass defense in the NFL in 2015, allowing 271.9 yards per game. That might not be all on their secondary, but it’s a secondary with obvious holes that are not apparent in their front seven.

“The holes are in the eye of the beholder,” Colbert said. “In the secondary, in my eyes we have some good players back there. We have some good players in the secondary. We want to enhance it. We want to add more good players. … This draft will give us the opportunity at some point.”

Tomlin promised that “We’ll put a capable secondary on the field. I’m not overly concerned about that. … We’re excited about the group we’re putting together and their ability to perform.”

As he does annually, Colbert said they lean toward the higher-rated players on their draft board when they pick, but that their team’s needs at certain positions can come into play, as long as they do not overreach for a player whose value is not there.

“If it’s close, and there’s a quarterback or a safety or a corner, of course we’ll take the safety or corner in our given situation, as our team is today. That, to me, is common sense. It’s a common rule in our draft room.

“But again, if we take a second-round corner in the first round, then we should expect a second-round corner and not a first-rounder.”

Quick hits

• Veteran quarterback Bruce Gradkowski worked out for the team recently and seemed fine physically, Colbert said. Gradkowski had surgery on his thumb and right shoulder. Colbert said the Steelers will wait until after the draft to decide whether to sign a veteran quarterback.

• Colbert declared they are not likely to trade to go higher than 25th in the first round, but he did make assurances that “we’re going to get a good player at 25. There will be several players we’ll be very satisfied with at 25.” He felt they do not have enough draft picks to use as collateral to move higher via trade from No. 25 but will be open to trades to move lower.

• The Steelers had interviewed 120 prospects at the various offseason venues, and Colbert re-emphasized that the best and most talent in this draft lies on defense. “The whole defense is strong especially up front and in the secondary,” he said.

• Some mock drafts have the Steelers taking a nose tackle. Colbert noted that they played without one 75 percent of the time on defense in 2015, so “the nose tackle’s importance probably has diminished, probably just from a sheer numbers standpoint. He just won’t see the field as often as he had in the past.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/04/25/Steelers-GM-Kevin-Colbert-coach-Mike-Tomlin-press-conference-ahead-of-2016-NFL-draft/stories/201604250120

ROLROC
04-26-2016, 10:44 AM

While I get your reasoning, I think CB is more of a need (vs. DT) just based on it being a more pass-driven league these days. The days of needing the next 'Big Snack' are gone. Pick up a FA DT, able-body if we don't get one in Rd 2 or 3. Hoping Billy Jackson 3 is available to us at 25 and is the PICK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ed52KLps6U
Great speed, athleticism, coverage skills, and instincts. Good tackler and hands.

SidSmythe
04-26-2016, 11:09 AM
According to the draft trade chart:
1.25 = 720 points

2.60 = 300 points
2.61 = 292 points
3.91 = 136 points
Total = 728 points

If Belichick is desperate to get his first round pick back and is willing to give up two late 2nd rounders and a late 3rd rounder for it, then I'm certainly game (that's not the way the hoodie typically operates, though, because after picking at #25, he would only have his 3rd round comp pick then 5 picks in the 6th round and 2 picks in the 7th round. I can't imagine he would want to exchange 4 day two picks for 1 day one pick and 1 day two pick).

Whoever HOODIE wanted that bad at #25 is who i'd want at #25.

Oviedo
04-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Steelers GM Colbert, coach Tomlin promise to have 'capable secondary'

April 25, 2016 6:03 PM

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers say they have nothing against cornerbacks, even though their track record might indicate otherwise.

This will be the 17th draft that general manager Kevin Colbert oversees for them. He has yet to draft a cornerback in the first round, although many believe that will change Thursday night in Chicago.

“Where we’ve chosen those guys was more reflective on who was available at that point,” Colbert said Monday at his annual predraft news conference with coach Mike Tomlin. “I can’t say we intentionally ignored that position. It just happened to break that way.”

The Steelers have not drafted a cornerback in the first round since Chad Scott in 1997, the third corner drafted by them in the first round in 11 years (Deon Figures, 1993; Rod Woodson, 1987). Since then, they have drafted three in the second round with spotty results — Ricardo Colclough in 2004, Bryant McFadden in 2005 and Senquez Golson a year ago.

The need for cornerbacks and safeties in this draft seems more urgent than ever for the Steelers. They lost two of their top three corners in free agency, cut Cortez Allen and did not re-sign starting safety Will Allen, who remains a free agent.

They return just two starters in that secondary, veterans Mike Mitchell at safety and William Gay at cornerback. Other than backup cornerback Ross Cockrell, there is little or no experience elsewhere.

Two cornerbacks chosen in the 2015 draft virtually did not play — Golson missed the season after shoulder surgery, and fourth-rounder Doran Grant was cut then rejoined the team and made it in for one defensive play.

The Steelers ranked as the third-worst pass defense in the NFL in 2015, allowing 271.9 yards per game. That might not be all on their secondary, but it’s a secondary with obvious holes that are not apparent in their front seven.

“The holes are in the eye of the beholder,” Colbert said. “In the secondary, in my eyes we have some good players back there. We have some good players in the secondary. We want to enhance it. We want to add more good players. … This draft will give us the opportunity at some point.”

Tomlin promised that “We’ll put a capable secondary on the field. I’m not overly concerned about that. … We’re excited about the group we’re putting together and their ability to perform.”

As he does annually, Colbert said they lean toward the higher-rated players on their draft board when they pick, but that their team’s needs at certain positions can come into play, as long as they do not overreach for a player whose value is not there.

“If it’s close, and there’s a quarterback or a safety or a corner, of course we’ll take the safety or corner in our given situation, as our team is today. That, to me, is common sense. It’s a common rule in our draft room.

“But again, if we take a second-round corner in the first round, then we should expect a second-round corner and not a first-rounder.”

Quick hits

• Veteran quarterback Bruce Gradkowski worked out for the team recently and seemed fine physically, Colbert said. Gradkowski had surgery on his thumb and right shoulder. Colbert said the Steelers will wait until after the draft to decide whether to sign a veteran quarterback.

• Colbert declared they are not likely to trade to go higher than 25th in the first round, but he did make assurances that “we’re going to get a good player at 25. There will be several players we’ll be very satisfied with at 25.” He felt they do not have enough draft picks to use as collateral to move higher via trade from No. 25 but will be open to trades to move lower.

• The Steelers had interviewed 120 prospects at the various offseason venues, and Colbert re-emphasized that the best and most talent in this draft lies on defense. “The whole defense is strong especially up front and in the secondary,” he said.

• Some mock drafts have the Steelers taking a nose tackle. Colbert noted that they played without one 75 percent of the time on defense in 2015, so “the nose tackle’s importance probably has diminished, probably just from a sheer numbers standpoint. He just won’t see the field as often as he had in the past.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/04/25/Steelers-GM-Kevin-Colbert-coach-Mike-Tomlin-press-conference-ahead-of-2016-NFL-draft/stories/201604250120

"Capable secondary" doesn't exactly inspire confidence does it? Now combine that with an "EXCEPTIONAL" front 7 and I'll take it.

Can someone who knows how to do such things set up a poll? List likely picks on Thursday:

Apple

Jackson

Alexander

Other CB

Safety

DL

OL

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 11:24 AM
I know someone who can set up a simple poll...:stirpot

phillyesq
04-26-2016, 11:36 AM
While I get your reasoning, I think CB is more of a need (vs. DT) just based on it being a more pass-driven league these days. The days of needing the next 'Big Snack' are gone. Pick up a FA DT, able-body if we don't get one in Rd 2 or 3. Hoping Billy Jackson 3 is available to us at 25 and is the PICK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ed52KLps6U
Great speed, athleticism, coverage skills, and instincts. Good tackler and hands.

I loved Casey Hampton, but that is not what I'm looking for at NT. I'm looking for a guy who can play the run and also get after the passer.

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 12:06 PM
I loved Casey Hampton, but that is not what I'm looking for at NT. I'm looking for a guy who can play the run and also get after the passer.

If Andrew Billings makes it to #25, he would be my pick...and I am a big Eli Apple fan as well...

Billings has the size and strength to defend the run and command double teams as well as the movement skills to pressure the QB...

Oviedo
04-26-2016, 12:37 PM

I really like Vernon Butler too!!! You just described him.

phillyesq
04-26-2016, 01:08 PM
I really like Vernon Butler too!!! You just described him.

I'm more of a Billings guy than Butler, but either would work. There are a handful of players that fit that description - I think Hargrave could also fill that role.

Iron City Inc.
04-26-2016, 01:21 PM

Ah words of wisdom. The chance to select a 2nd round DL with round 1 talent is not a dream with this years depth. I'm not sure there will be that shut down corner there in the 2nd. And if it fell perfect there would be the SS there in the 3rd.
It may not fall that way but if the stars lined in that order we would be fortunate.

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Ah words of wisdom. The chance to select a 2nd round DL with round 1 talent is not a dream with this years depth. I'm not sure there will be that shut down corner there in the 2nd. And if it fell perfect there would be the SS there in the 3rd.
It may not fall that way but if the stars lined in that order we would be fortunate.

That would be good, but:

1) There may not be a shutdown CB at 25...

2).If you can get a guy with Top-15 pick talent at 25, that is also amazing...

phillyesq
04-26-2016, 03:23 PM
That would be good, but:

1) There may not be a shutdown CB at 25...

2).If you can get a guy with Top-15 pick talent at 25, that is also amazing...

Yup - the last time the draft was this deep with defensive lineman, the Steelers got Cam Heyward, who in most years probably goes closer to the 18-22 range. If you can get that type of value again, you absolutely do it.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-26-2016, 05:14 PM
May have been said already, but, IMO...

Billings - best fit for what we all want. Decent pass rusher, GREAT run stuffer.
Jackson III - this is their top CB target from what I've read.
Joseph - I could see this happening. I know mocks have him in the second, but, don't be surprised.

Could also see a trade down in an effort to get both one of the top NT's AND Joseph... depends on how the draft plays out.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Yesterday, I listed top tier and second tier CB, DT, and S in groups, but I think this Steelers actual draft board has them all jumbled up so it's tough to really predict which position will go in which round. It will be based on the best player available at a position of need when it's our turn to pick, and the board may look something like this (at least in terms of these positions...in reality, there will be some LB, OT, WR, etc. intermingled in there as well, obviously).

1. CB Vernon Hargreaves
2. DT Jarran Reed
3. CB Eli Apple
4. DT Andrew Billings
5. CB William Jackson III
6. S Karl Joseph
7. DT Vernon Butler
8. CB Kendall Fuller
9. S Keanu Neal
10. CB Mackenzie Alexander
11. S Vonn Bell
12. DT Austin Johnson
13. S Jeremy Cash
14. CB Artie Burns
15. DT Javon Hargrave
16. S Darian Thompson

Slapstick
04-26-2016, 06:11 PM
If the Steelers could land someone like Billings in the first with Artie Burns in the second, I'd be pretty happy...

Eddie Spaghetti
04-26-2016, 06:17 PM
my hope is somehow fullers injury pushes him to 58 and hargraves small school knock pushes him to us in the 3rd

my dream draft is joeseph, fuller, hargrave

Chadman
04-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Chadman is thinking... Billings or Jarran Reed at #25. Why? Because the drop-off from the 1st Tier DL to 2nd Tier DL is quite abrupt. Don't get Chadman wrong- there are going to be GOOD DL available in Round 2 & 3, but the top tier guys are REALLY good.

That same drop isn't as evident at CB & Safety.

So, Billings or Reed.

Also, thinking that the "Golson is like a bonus pick" talk might imply that they are choosing a CB called... Golson.

Safety in Round 2- Cash, Thompson or Vonn Bell if he falls there. 3 contacts with Jeremy Cash. They like him.

3rd Round could bring in a CB- either Ryan Smith or Cyrus Jones if they value ST returns immediately, or Harlan Miller if they want a physical CB. Chadman's bet- Miller fits with so many shorter CB's on the roster already.

The 4th Round might be where the team looks offensively- either at WR, QB or OT. That WR from Clemson- Peake- if he is there, could be interesting.

pfelix73
04-26-2016, 06:48 PM
Trade down with Denver- hey, it's in the news already and Colbert mentioned they would consider a trade down.... At 31- the playmaking Karl Joseph from WV.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 08:30 PM
Trade down with Denver- hey, it's in the news already and Colbert mentioned they would consider a trade down.... At 31- the playmaking Karl Joseph from WV.

Trade value chart:

1.25 = 720 points

1.31 = 600 points
3.94 = 124 points

600 + 124 = 724.

Just sayin'.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-26-2016, 09:23 PM
I would Billings there too. I don't feel a CB at #25 gets on the field any faster than say Fuller or Burns. I think Billings is a plug & play.

SteelerMaine83
04-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Trade value chart:

1.25 = 720 points

1.31 = 600 points
3.94 = 124 points

600 + 124 = 724.

Just sayin'.

Yes, I like this. Dream draft:

1(31) K. Joseph-SS. W. Allen gone, Shamarko needs to be gone. Like Golden, but...
2(58) K. Fuller-CB. Falls this far because of the injury. 1st Round talent but will he be healthy enough to play in 2016? (maybe the second half of the season?) No other CB is really worth #58 unless someone else really drops.
3(89) D.J. Reader-DL. Guy is sneaky-good and sneaky-athletic for a guy so big. Can handle the run and pop outside as a DE.
3(94) J. Simmons-FS. See above post on Joseph. Our starting safeties in 2017.
4(123) M. Ioannidis-DE. Motor--will be able to spell the DE's for 10-20 snaps per game (will last year's L. Walton challenge???)
6(???) K. Maggitt-OLB. If he stays healthy, a very good could challenge)pass rusher with a motor. (Chickillo could challenge)
7(???) D. Braverman-WR. If he gets his head back on, Bryant will be back next year and Wheaton will be gone. This guy can replace Wheaton and help in the return game (or at least field punts cleanly).
7(???) N. Kwiatkowski-ILB. Has nice coverage skills for a LB (once a safety).

Heavy on D.

pfelix73
04-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Yes, I like this. Dream draft:

1(31) K. Joseph-SS. W. Allen gone, Shamarko needs to be gone. Like Golden, but...
2(58) K. Fuller-CB. Falls this far because of the injury. 1st Round talent but will he be healthy enough to play in 2016? (maybe the second half of the season?) No other CB is really worth #58 unless someone else really drops.
3(89) D.J. Reader-DL. Guy is sneaky-good and sneaky-athletic for a guy so big. Can handle the run and pop outside as a DE.
3(94) J. Simmons-FS. See above post on Joseph. Our starting safeties in 2017.
4(123) M. Ioannidis-DE. Motor--will be able to spell the DE's for 10-20 snaps per game (will last year's L. Walton challenge???)
6(???) K. Maggitt-OLB. If he stays healthy, a very good could challenge)pass rusher with a motor. (Chickillo could challenge)
7(???) D. Braverman-WR. If he gets his head back on, Bryant will be back next year and Wheaton will be gone. This guy can replace Wheaton and help in the return game (or at least field punts cleanly).
7(???) N. Kwiatkowski-ILB. Has nice coverage skills for a LB (once a safety).

Heavy on D.

I would like to see a Sterling Shepard WR from Oklahoma possibly in the mix somewhere in the 3rd round???? Maybe with one of those 3rd rounders if we trade down. He may last until round 3.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2016, 11:43 PM
I would like to see a Sterling Shepard WR from Oklahoma possibly in the mix somewhere in the 3rd round???? Maybe with one of those 3rd rounders if we trade down. He may last until round 3.

How bout...

1.31 S Karl Joseph
2.58 DT Austin Johnson
3.89 WR Sterling Shepard
3.94 CB Cyrus Jones
4.123 LB Jaylon Smith

Shoe
04-26-2016, 11:54 PM
All the people touting Billings: Nolan Nawrocki's guide labels him basically as a Casey Hampton-type (i.e. dominant run stuffer, not much else). I'm assuming you think he is much more than that. Any comparisons, or someone you envision when you see him?

Chadman
04-27-2016, 01:48 AM
All the people touting Billings: Nolan Nawrocki's guide labels him basically as a Casey Hampton-type (i.e. dominant run stuffer, not much else). I'm assuming you think he is much more than that. Any comparisons, or someone you envision when you see him?

Not going to pretend that Chadman is some kind of scout, but Billings sure makes a whole lot of plays in the backfield for a guy that can't rush the passer.

Watching clips on him- Chadman thought you can't block him consistantly 1 v 1. Then, watching him play NT against WVU Chadman noticed you can't block him 2 v 1 very well either.

Obviously there will be holes in his game, otherwise we are talking a top 5 pick. But he looks like he holds the line very well in run support & certainly offers some pocket collapsing ability from both 3 & 4 man fronts. Interesting watching him make plays in the backfield after rolling out behind the DE & still having the closing ability to get to the QB.

You could pretty much pencil him in as a positional rotational player from the start at NT with McCullers, while certainly using him in the packages to spell Tuitt & Heyward.

SteelYinzer
04-27-2016, 01:51 AM
I'm fairly certain William Jackson III will be the 1st round pick. The whole coaching staff and G.M. flew to see him. CB is their biggest need. If I was G.M. I would take Connor Cook in the 2nd because we absolutely have to have a better plan for when Ben gets injured. I doubt he's there for our second pick so here's my prediction/what I'm hoping for:

1. William Jackson III CB HOU (my 2nd rated CB)
2. Su'A Cravens OLB USC (we get our pass rushing OLB)
3. Javon Hargrave DT SC St. (shore up D line which becomes a strength)
4. DeAndre Huston-Carson S William & Mary (Tomlin will not be able to resist and he's our best S day one)
6. Kyle Murphy OT Stanford (versatile at both T spots and eventual RT)
7. Jaydon Mickens WR WASH (Colbert finds another late round gem who will be our starting slot receiver)
7. Keith Marshall RB Georgia (huge upside, great athlete, and doesn't need to play right away but can if called upon. Really hope he's still there)

Chadman
04-27-2016, 02:16 AM
I'm fairly certain William Jackson III will be the 1st round pick. The whole coaching staff and G.M. flew to see him. CB is their biggest need. If I was G.M. I would take Connor Cook in the 2nd because we absolutely have to have a better plan for when Ben gets injured. I doubt he's there for our second pick so here's my prediction/what I'm hoping for:

4. DeAndre Huston-Carson S William & Mary (Tomlin will not be able to resist and he's our best S day one)
7. Jaydon Mickens WR WASH (Colbert finds another late round gem who will be our starting slot receiver)
7. Keith Marshall RB Georgia (huge upside, great athlete, and doesn't need to play right away but can if called upon. Really hope he's still there)

Funny about different people's takes on things- Chadman thought Colbert's thoughts on players stats being misleading was kind of directed, in part, at the CB's. He was saying that some CB's have inflated stats- tackles, PD's & INT's because they get thrown on a lot, while some CB's are so good that their stats are low, giving a false reading on the player, because teams refuse to throw their way. As far as CB's go, Chadman thought this might have been in reference to Jackson & Alexander to be honest..

Chadman
04-27-2016, 02:17 AM
If the Steelers DO go CB in Round 1, Chadman would suggest that Alexander is the guy they have penciled in there.

Slapstick
04-27-2016, 06:05 AM

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2628236-andrew-billings-potential-to-become-the-best-player-in-this-years-draft-class

Sword
04-27-2016, 07:21 AM

William Jackson III - this guys is just to small....I could knock this guys down.....

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2016, 07:49 AM

Some teams view Cravens as a SS. Others view him as a 4-3 Will backer. I don't think anyone views him as a 3-4 pass rushing OLB.

Shawn
04-27-2016, 08:16 AM

The secondary is a need as well, don't get me wrong. But I'd hate to reach for a DB over an elite defensive lineman. I'm not advocating a "reach". If an elite DLman falls to the Steelers I'm sure the Steelers will take them. But, let's keep in mind something. 50%+of snaps the Steelers are rolling with 2 DLmen. They will not draft a first round 0,1 fire hydrant. They will go with a guy who can move. And there are two really intriguing big men who can move in that round three area. The Steelers need depth on the DL but they need DBs in a desperate way. And while I don't see them passing on an elite DL talent... A guy like Eli Apple checks all the right boxes. He isn't a slug and has all the physical tools the Steelers love to see in secondary talent. This draft is so deep in DL that they can grab their first round DB and still get an elite DLman. Take a look at their approach when the WRs were so deep a couple years back.

SteelDecipher
04-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Unfortunately, I think there is a very good chance the tier 1 and some 1a corners are gone before the Steelers are on the board.

I also think the tier 1 edge rushers are off the board, and Billings- who doesn't fit into either of those categories.

Joseph is available, but I'm not picking an already injured Bob Sanders, who the rules don't favor, in Rd 1.

The Steelers have learned over the past few years, if you sleep on drafting Corners early, you find yourself chasing the market. Which leads to the inevitable, draft a corner in rd 4 or 5 when there might be value.

This year is no different. All of the top talent at corner is very likely to be off the board by their 2nd pick.

Of the remaining 1a Corners-at

1.25 Artie Burns is the pick.

steeler_george
04-27-2016, 10:22 AM
I would love to trade back and gain more 2nd round picks, I think we can still find same value BPA between 25- 58.
top tier players I think can fall and all be had from 25- to top of 3rd. Any of these players could be our #1 pick :
Billings, Joseph, Bell, Fuller, Alexander, Burns ( But I am starting to believe Billings can be the man)

Imagine 3 out those 6 players... Wow

My dark horse of the 1 st choice is a tackle in Spriggs or Dekker. For Depth and future... and boy i like that Lee kid (a shazier clone) from OSU ... imagine having 2 exact players in Shazier and Lee in 2017.

Shawn
04-27-2016, 01:52 PM
I would love to trade back and gain more 2nd round picks, I think we can still find same value BPA between 25- 58.
top tier players I think can fall and all be had from 25- to top of 3rd. Any of these players could be our #1 pick :
Billings, Joseph, Bell, Fuller, Alexander, Burns ( But I am starting to believe Billings can be the man)

Imagine 3 out those 6 players... Wow

My dark horse of the 1 st choice is a tackle in Spriggs or Dekker. For Depth and future... and boy i like that Lee kid (a shazier clone) from OSU ... imagine having 2 exact players in Shazier and Lee in 2017. Lee is a beast. Vonn Bell is underrated by scouts.

Slapstick
04-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Artie Burns is also impressive...he is pretty raw, but really spent a lot of time running track in the spring instead of spring football practices...with the ability to devote himself full time to his craft, he could end up being special...I seem to remember another Steeler 1st round CB who was also a champion hurdler in track...8)

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2016, 03:19 PM
I think the team really wants this to happen with our prime picks:

1.25 DT Andrew Billings, Baylor 6'1" 311 lbs.

Our biggest needs are in the secondary and interior DL...I think judging by past draft history, Steeler brass tends to value the big tough guys in the trenches more than the small speedy guys on the outside. Sure, it's a very deep for DT's this year, which could mean that you might be able to get a DT in round 2 who might have been a round 1 in other years, but you could also possibly get a top 15 DL talent way down at #25 (that's how we acquired Cam Heyward once upon a time...great DL draft pushed him down to us). We might be able to get a dominant 2 down NT in round 2 or 3...but in today's NFL, those guys are becoming dinosaurs...if we want a versatile 3 down d-lineman who can anchor the nose on early downs in base and also push the pocket and penetrate in nickel and dime situations, conventional though says that you'll need to use your top pick to acquire a beast of that ilk.

2.58 S Karl Joseph, West Virginia 5'10" 205 lbs.

The prototypical safety that the Steelers fall in love with. If healthy, they would take him at #25 and not think twice about. In fact, if the first round board doesn't fall their way, they still might, or at least would consider trading down to get Joseph and obtain another pick. Because of the injury, they'll hope that teams drafting ahead of them prefer healthier options like Keanu Neal or Vonn Bell, and Joseph falls right into their lap.

3.89 WR Sterling Shepard, Oklahoma 5'10" 194 lbs.

Because taking a wideout in the 3rd round is becoming tradition in these parts. He'll probably come off the board in round 2 or earlier in round 3, but they'll hope that his size causes him to last longer. Last year, they took Sammie Coates as insurance in case we don't have Martavis Bryant, and that decision worked out. This choice is insurance in case we aren't able to re-sign Markus Wheaton after this season because we'll be paying big money on new long term deals for guys like David DeCastro, Antonio Brown, and Le'Veon Bell. Shepard seems to possess many of the same traits that AB had when he came out of college.

4.123 CB Cyrus Jones, Alabama 5'10" 197 lbs.

A feisty corner who also possesses return ability, which is something else that we need as well. Since we already have smaller corners like Gay and Golson, you'd think they want to go with a bigger guy instead of another smurf (hence the first round interest in Apple and WJIII), and if that's the case, then they might go with a corner like Harlan Miller here instead. But I think they'll like what Jones brings to the table. In spite of how bad Antwan Blake played last year, the coaches liked certainly aspects of how he played the game (or else he would have been benched much earlier), and stylistically, Cyrus strikes me as a similar type of player, but hopefully with more talent to back that up.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2016, 03:25 PM
If they get DT, S, and CB with their first 3 picks (in whatever order) rather than sneaking a WR pick in there, then they could look LB with that 4th pick. I think they would seriously consider taking a risk on Notre Dame's Jaylon Smith in round 4 if he is still there and redshirting him, since our med staff went through something similar with Sean Spence (although his horrific knee injury occurred in an NFL preseason game after he was drafted rather than a college bowl game before he was drafted). If they want someone who will be more ready to contribute this year, then perhaps Yannick Ngakoue of Maryland.

buccoray61
04-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately, I think there is a very good chance the tier 1 and some 1a corners are gone before the Steelers are on the board.

I also think the tier 1 edge rushers are off the board, and Billings- who doesn't fit into either of those categories.

Joseph is available, but I'm not picking an already injured Bob Sanders, who the rules don't favor, in Rd 1.

The Steelers have learned over the past few years, if you sleep on drafting Corners early, you find yourself chasing the market. Which leads to the inevitable, draft a corner in rd 4 or 5 when there might be value.

This year is no different. All of the top talent at corner is very likely to be off the board by their 2nd pick.

Of the remaining 1a Corners-at

1.25 Artie Burns is the pick.
If Burns is the pick,they better have traded back to get him.I don't like him at 25

Oviedo
04-27-2016, 04:39 PM
I think the team really wants this to happen with our prime picks:

1.25 DT Andrew Billings, Baylor 6'1" 311 lbs.

Our biggest needs are in the secondary and interior DL...I think judging by past draft history, Steeler brass tends to value the big tough guys in the trenches more than the small speedy guys on the outside. Sure, it's a very deep for DT's this year, which could mean that you might be able to get a DT in round 2 who might have been a round 1 in other years, but you could also possibly get a top 15 DL talent way down at #25 (that's how we acquired Cam Heyward once upon a time...great DL draft pushed him down to us). We might be able to get a dominant 2 down NT in round 2 or 3...but in today's NFL, those guys are becoming dinosaurs...if we want a versatile 3 down d-lineman who can anchor the nose on early downs in base and also push the pocket and penetrate in nickel and dime situations, conventional though says that you'll need to use your top pick to acquire a beast of that ilk.

2.58 S Karl Joseph, West Virginia 5'10" 205 lbs.

The prototypical safety that the Steelers fall in love with. If healthy, they would take him at #25 and not think twice about. In fact, if the first round board doesn't fall their way, they still might, or at least would consider trading down to get Joseph and obtain another pick. Because of the injury, they'll hope that teams drafting ahead of them prefer healthier options like Keanu Neal or Vonn Bell, and Joseph falls right into their lap.

3.89 WR Sterling Shepard, Oklahoma 5'10" 194 lbs.

Because taking a wideout in the 3rd round is becoming tradition in these parts. He'll probably come off the board in round 2 or earlier in round 3, but they'll hope that his size causes him to last longer. Last year, they took Sammie Coates as insurance in case we don't have Martavis Bryant, and that decision worked out. This choice is insurance in case we aren't able to re-sign Markus Wheaton after this season because we'll be paying big money on new long term deals for guys like David DeCastro, Antonio Brown, and Le'Veon Bell. Shepard seems to possess many of the same traits that AB had when he came out of college.

4.123 CB Cyrus Jones, Alabama 5'10" 197 lbs.

A feisty corner who also possesses return ability, which is something else that we need as well. Since we already have smaller corners like Gay and Golson, you'd think they want to go with a bigger guy instead of another smurf (hence the first round interest in Apple and WJIII), and if that's the case, then they might go with a corner like Harlan Miller here instead. But I think they'll like what Jones brings to the table. In spite of how bad Antwan Blake played last year, the coaches liked certainly aspects of how he played the game (or else he would have been benched much earlier), and stylistically, Cyrus strikes me as a similar type of player, but hopefully with more talent to back that up.

Loving those picks if it happens that way.

SteelCrazy
04-27-2016, 04:44 PM
There's one man worth our pick at 25 and I believe that is Karl Joesph. Billings is overrated imo, he is worth our pick at 58. If Joesph is gone, then we need to trade down and get the bpa.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2016, 05:00 PM
If Burns is the pick,they better have traded back to get him.I don't like him at 25
Honestly, I think they trade back anyway - particularly if the top CB targets are gone, but, NT's haven't started getting picked up. I get the sense that they'd feel moving back a few spots would still give them a chance to get one of the NT's, yet also possibly the ability to gain a late day 2 player which could be key...

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2016, 05:02 PM
I would cry for joy if it falls like ruthless posted above

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2016, 05:05 PM
There's one man worth our pick at 25 and I believe that is Karl Joesph. Billings is overrated imo, he is worth our pick at 58. If Joesph is gone, then we need to trade down and get the bpa.

I don't know how happy I'd be with that pick and his recent injury history. I honestly think they go D line. I think the potential BPAs available will be DL over CBs. I doubt the the corners after Ramsey and Hargreaves rate as high as the linemen.

phillyesq
04-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Ruthless - I'd love if the draft fell like that. Unfortunately, I don't think Joseph falls to our pick in the second, and I also doubt that Shepard makes it to our pick in the third. If you got those guys in those slots though, that would be incredible value.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Ruthless - I'd love if the draft fell like that. Unfortunately, I don't think Joseph falls to our pick in the second, and I also doubt that Shepard makes it to our pick in the third. If you got those guys in those slots though, that would be incredible value.

that's my belief as well, but stranger things have happened I guess. I feel like we would basically getting billings for free in that scenario as I think if we get Joseph and sheppard it would have to happen in rounds 1&2

SteelCrazy
04-27-2016, 05:24 PM
I don't know how happy I'd be with that pick and his recent injury history. I honestly think they go D line. I think the potential BPAs available will be DL over CBs. I doubt the the corners after Ramsey and Hargreaves rate as high as the linemen.

Worse case, Joesph will miss 6-8 games of the upcoming season but after that he'll be a beast.

I don't see Billings going to anyone in round 1. I think A'Shawn Robinson may squeak into round 1 but possibly early two. I think they'll go OLB, S/C, then maybe DL. However, we'll all find out tomorrow night.

Ernie
04-28-2016, 06:33 AM
I heard Mike Mayok say last evening that this is the deepest, most talented pool of D-Linemen in a generation... maybe ever.. and all of the GM's that he's talked to have said the same. He said there would be 20 or so of them that would go undrafted this year that..under any normal year... would be round 5 picks. With that being said, I think we need to go DB in round 1... if it's not a reach. We can pick up a DL in rounds 2 or 3 (or later) and be fine. Id even be fine with: rounds 1-2 Safety/Corner and round 3 DL

feltdizz
04-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Kevin Dodd

Oviedo
04-28-2016, 08:24 AM
I heard Mike Mayok say last evening that this is the deepest, most talented pool of D-Linemen in a generation... maybe ever.. and all of the GM's that he's talked to have said the same. He said there would be 20 or so of them that would go undrafted this year that..under any normal year... would be round 5 picks. With that being said, I think we need to go DB in round 1... if it's not a reach. We can pick up a DL in rounds 2 or 3 (or later) and be fine. Id even be fine with: rounds 1-2 Safety/Corner and round 3 DL

But a defensive lineman may be able to provide the biggest impact versus drafting a CB into a league where the rules all but forbid him to play tight man coverage without the threat of an interference call. The DL can get after the QB which is why front 7 is much more important than back 4...IMO. Not saying you don't want competent players at CB and S but not sure you need great ones or need to spend a 1st round pick on one when you can get a good enough player in Rounds 2-4

Shawn
04-28-2016, 08:39 AM
But a defensive lineman may be able to provide the biggest impact versus drafting a CB into a league where the rules all but forbid him to play tight man coverage without the threat of an interference call. The DL can get after the QB which is why front 7 is much more important than back 4...IMO. Not saying you don't want competent players at CB and S but not sure you need great ones or need to spend a 1st round pick on one when you can get a good enough player in Rounds 2-4 O, I know you are stuck on DL but you are not seeing the full picture here. Our best DB is William Gay. That is unacceptable. We play 50+% of our snaps with two DLmen. IMO, there won't be strong DB talent in round 2. I don't think Fuller falls that far. If Apple is there...he is the pick. The DB talent at top is solid but is not deep. IMO, this is the year they must strike at DB in the first. There will be round 1 talent falling into the second and third on DL.

phillyesq
04-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Dulac seems pretty certain that it will be a corner in the first:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2016/04/27/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-4-27-16/stories/201604270141

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2016, 11:56 AM
A Couple of Seven-Round Mocks From Walter Football (Both solid, but I really like the second one):

From Walter Cherepinsky:

1. DT Andrew Billings, Baylor
2. S Jeremy Cash, Duke
3. CB Will Redmond, Mississippi State
4. OT Jerald Hawkins, LSU
6. QB Vernon Adams, Oregon
7. CB Ken Crawley, Colorado
7. RB Kelvin Taylor, Florida

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

From Charlie Campbell:

1. CB William Jackson III, Houston
2. DT Andrew Billings, Baylor
3. S/CB Sean Davis, Maryland
4. OLB Jatavis Brown, Akron
6. WR Marquez North, Tennessee
7. S Jarrod Wilson, Michigan

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016charlie.php

Slapstick
04-28-2016, 12:26 PM
A Couple of Seven-Round Mocks From Walter Football (Both solid, but I really like the second one):

From Walter Cherepinsky:

1. DT Andrew Billings, Baylor
2. S Jeremy Cash, Duke
3. CB Will Redmond, Mississippi State
4. OT Jerald Hawkins, LSU
6. QB Vernon Adams, Oregon
7. CB Ken Crawley, Colorado

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

From Charlie Campbell:

1. CB William Jackson III, Houston
2. DT Andrew Billings, Baylor
3. S/CB Sean Davis, Maryland
4. OLB Jatavis Brown, Akron
6. WR Marquez North, Tennessee
7. S Jarrod Wilson, Michigan

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016charlie.php

Holy s--t that second mock would be a dream...especially getting Jackson AND Billings in the 2nd? Droid, please...

SteelYinzer
04-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Some teams view Cravens as a SS. Others view him as a 4-3 Will backer. I don't think anyone views him as a 3-4 pass rushing OLB.

The reason why he fits is because I'm assuming we'll see more 4-3 looks in a hybrid system going forward. In the box SS/LB that can make plays sounds pretty good to me especially a guy some have going late 1st early 2nd. Like most of our LB picks, he'll get time to develop. Meanwhile you get a special teams demon and a hard working good football player with flexibility. I think the 3-4 OLB class this year is pretty average. Do you have any ideas for Jones replacement in rounds 2 and beyond, maybe a sleeper I'm not seeing?

Rara
04-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Javon Hargrave, DT; South Carolina State....second or third round.

steeler_george
04-28-2016, 06:57 PM

I always see his name tied t the steelers regardless mock draft site, or round

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2016, 07:04 PM

Imagine getting both Hargreaves (the CB) and Hargrave (the DT). Everything else would be icing on the cake...

steeler_george
04-28-2016, 07:35 PM
I hope that roumour is true... keep dropping!!!

Rara
04-28-2016, 07:39 PM
I hope that roumour is true... keep dropping!!!

Hargreaves is dropping? Why? I thought I read that earlier but didn't understand why? Is it because of his height?