PDA

View Full Version : josh norman now FA

steeler_george
04-20-2016, 05:45 PM
panthers recinder the franchise tage, now a FA ....hmmm!

8467thekraken
04-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Wish we could afford him.

Coolie Man
04-20-2016, 06:07 PM
They could do it if they really wanted to. They should but they won't.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Nice pipe dream, but dude wants QB money and no CB is worth that.

Some team like Jacksonville will likely give it to him, though, and then realize it's not the same without that Panther front 7 in front of him.

Iron City Inc.
04-20-2016, 06:49 PM
We are only 3 million under.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2016, 06:54 PM
We are only 3 million under.

Extending DeCastro and Timmons, cutting Suisham, and restructuring Ben could greatly improve that number, but I still wouldn't do it.

I'd save my money to extend Antonio and Le'Veon next offseason.

8467thekraken
04-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Extending DeCastro and Timmons, cutting Suisham, and restructuring Ben could greatly improve that number, but I still wouldn't do it.

I'd save my money to extend Antonio and Le'Veon next offseason.

Yeppers. +1

SteelBucks
04-20-2016, 10:12 PM
He wants $16 million per season. That's why the Panthers rescinded the tag. He's basically pricing himself out of the league.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-20-2016, 11:18 PM
The Steelers are reportedly one of the 8 or 9 teams that have called to inquire about Norman.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/20/report-49ers-steelers-dolphins-among-teams-inquiring-about-josh-norman/

Steelers only have about $3.5 million in cap space, probably the least room of the interested teams. On the other end of the scale, the 49ers have over $52 million in cap space.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2016, 11:32 PM
The Steelers won't be willing to pay more than what the Panthers were offering on a long term deal (rumored to be in the $11 million per year range). He is more interested in being the highest paid corner in the league, equaling or topping what Revis got. If he was willing to take less to play for a contender, he would have just stayed in Carolina and remain with the 15-1 Panthers (especially since he was born in South Carolina and went to school at Coastal Carolina). He'll go to the highest bidder. It's worth making a call, since elite players of this caliber at the position of your biggest need never come available one week before the draft where you can acquire a Pro Bowl player without requiring draft compensation...but it's simply not happening. Remember, we made the courtesy call when Revis last was available, and Norman doesn't even have the connections to the Burgh that Revis had, so it's even less likely than that was.

Slapstick
04-20-2016, 11:51 PM
Should have signed that tender...

steeler_george
04-21-2016, 04:58 AM
I wonder does that put a priority in the panthers drafting a cb now, is that one less cb who might slide to us in the 2nd?

squidkid
04-21-2016, 08:07 AM
The Steelers are reportedly one of the 8 or 9 teams that have called to inquire about Norman.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/20/report-49ers-steelers-dolphins-among-teams-inquiring-about-josh-norman/

Steelers only have about $3.5 million in cap space, probably the least room of the interested teams. On the other end of the scale, the 49ers have over $52 million in cap space.

could you imagine that conversation.
"ummm, would you take 5 million per year for 4 years with 1 million guaranteed, BUT also realize this, you will have a qb that isnt afraid to fall on a stripped ball in the super bowl?"

feltdizz
04-21-2016, 08:36 AM
Josh Norman is like Mike Mitchell.. 4 DL's getting pressure makes the DB's look really good.

Oviedo
04-21-2016, 09:03 AM
I wonder does that put a priority in the panthers drafting a cb now, is that one less cb who might slide to us in the 2nd?

I think the Panthers are now really looking at a CB at the end of Rd 1, but they won't reach. They seem to understand that a strong front 7 is more important. I hope we do the same thing and add to the front 7 in Round 1

SidSmythe
04-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Josh Norman is like Mike Mitchell.. 4 DL's getting pressure makes the DB's look really good.

Lets not forget 3 very good LBs in the mix too.
All the sudden Josh Norman is the new REVIS?? I don't buy it!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2016, 09:50 AM
I think the Panthers are now really looking at a CB at the end of Rd 1, but they won't reach. They seem to understand that a strong front 7 is more important. I hope we do the same thing and add to the front 7 in Round 1

I could see Carolina taking Mac Alexander if he's there at #30, and if not, maybe Artie Burns there.

feltdizz
04-21-2016, 12:33 PM
you guys, Josh Norman was a 5th rounder. Carolina is probably going to wait until the 3rd or 4th round to go CB.

They will draft another DL/DT in the first and then go WR/RB.