View Full Version : Browns trade the 2nd overall pick to Philadelphia

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2016, 02:48 PM
Eagles acquire No. 2 overall draft pick from Browns

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The NFL Editor
Published: April 20, 2016 at 01:50 p.m.
Updated: April 20, 2016 at 02:27 p.m.

The top of the 2016 NFL Draft has been shaken up again. This time around, it's the Philadelphia Eagles making a bold gambit to change the future of their franchise.

The Eagles acquired the No. 2 overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft in a trade Wednesday with the Cleveland Browns, the Eagles announced. The Browns will receive Philadelphia's No. 8 overall pick, third- and fourth-round picks in this draft, next year's first round pick, and a second-round pick in 2018.

It's safe to say the Eagles would only make this aggressive of a move for a quarterback. The Los Angeles Rams traded up with Tennessee less than a week ago in a blockbuster deal that resulted in the Rams acquiring the No. 1 overall pick. It's unclear who the Rams will draft first, but California quarterback Jared Goff and North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz are now fully expected to be the first two selections of the draft. Conventional wisdom has Goff going first to the Rams.

The Eagles would clearly not make this deal if they didn't fully believe in both quarterbacks. They might have a good read on what the Rams will do at No. 1, but you don't make a franchise-altering move like this unless you are fully on board with either quarterback.

This marks yet another bold move by Eagles executive vice president Howie Roseman since he took back the reigns of the organization from former coach Chip Kelly. It certainly gives the Eagles a loaded quarterback room. Sam Bradford -- a former No. 1 overall pick himself -- is set to make $17 million this year as the team's presumptive starter. Chase Daniel, who was the backup in Kansas City last season, is one of the highest-paid backups in the league.

Now both Bradford and Daniel will be expected to keep the seat warm until the "quarterback of the future" is ready. It gives the Eagles an enviable "problem" to solve. As this trade shows once again, you can never have too many quarterbacks in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000654501/article/eagles-acquire-no-2-overall-draft-pick-from-browns

Oviedo
04-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Wow...the Browns are passing on the top 2 rated QBs in the draft. Must really like RG III or just the Browns being their same old stupid selves. I bet Browns fans are going insane.

Do the Eagles want a QB or are they targeting someone else like Tunsil????? Thoughts???

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Wow...the Browns are passing on the top 2 rated QBs in the draft. Must really like RG III or just the Browns being their same old stupid selves. I bet Browns fans are going insane.

Do the Eagles want a QB or are they targeting someone else like Tunsil????? Thoughts???

Definitely a QB...no question about. They overpaid for Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel, but it will be easy to get out of those contracts after this year.

buccoray61
04-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Actually,it's a pretty smart move by the Browns although I really like Wentz as a QB prospect.Still,knowing the Browns I look forward to this blowing up in their face. :brownssuck

steeler_george
04-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Actually the browns made out on this trade, they need talent all over! Is Wentz or Goef really that much a better prospect than say Lynch in a few years? What scares me is that might end up Elliott!!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Actually,it's a pretty smart move by the Browns although I really like Wentz as a QB prospect.Still,knowing the Browns I look forward to this blowing up in their face. :brownssuck

To trade up to get Julio Jones, Atlanta gave Cleveland a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in 2011 and a 1st and 4th in 2012. Should have been the building blocks for their future, but they turned those picks into NT Phil Taylor, WR Greg Little, RB Owen Marecic, QB Brandon Weeden, and used the 4th to move up in 2012 for RB Trent Richardson. Draft prospects should be praying that they aren't taken by Cleveland, since they are apparently cursed.

Iron City Inc.
04-20-2016, 06:54 PM

Can't speak for what browns fans may think of this. I have been to Philly for a bunch of Steeler games. Their fans are booing already I guarantee it.

phillyesq
04-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Given that the Browns have decided that Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, and Manziel - among others - were worth of first round picks, their decision to trade out of taking a QB is probably a strong endorsement of Wentz and Goff.

The only thing I don't like is that the Ravens are now guaranteed to get one of Jalen Ramsey, Joey Bosa, Myles Jack or Tunsil. They will get a really good player at 6.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Given that the Browns have decided that Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, and Manziel - among others - were worth of first round picks, their decision to trade out of taking a QB is probably a strong endorsement of Wentz and Goff.

The only thing I don't like is that the Ravens are now guaranteed to get one of Jalen Ramsey, Joey Bosa, Myles Jack or Tunsil. They will get a really good player at 6.

Unless they like Buckner, Elliott, Hargreaves, or Stanley more.

phillyesq
04-20-2016, 07:23 PM
Unless they like Buckner, Elliott, Hargreaves, or Stanley more.

I don't want to see Buckner in Baltimore, either. The other 3 will likely be good players, but I don't see them being a nightmare for the Steelers the way the others would be.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-20-2016, 09:09 PM
To trade up to get Julio Jones, Atlanta gave Cleveland a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in 2011 and a 1st and 4th in 2012. Should have been the building blocks for their future, but they turned those picks into NT Phil Taylor, WR Greg Little, RB Owen Marecic, QB Brandon Weeden, and used the 4th to move up in 2012 for RB Trent Richardson. Draft prospects should be praying that they aren't taken by Cleveland, since they are apparently cursed.

Funny, I was thinking about 2014. I was worried that the Browns would grab Sammy Watkins and pair him with Gordon, torching the Steelers secondary for years to come. Instead they traded back, took the very soft CB Justin Gilbert, took Johnny (can't play) Football, and lost Gordon to a drug suspension - which should have given them more reason to stay put and grab Watkins.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Definitely a QB...no question about. They overpaid for Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel, but it will be easy to get out of those contracts after this year.

I'll bet they even placed a call to the Rams. Something along the lines of "You have the first pick so nothing we can do to screw you over, but which one are you grabbing, Wentz or Goff?

That being said, I can't believe the price for moving up these days. Not since the ridiculous Ditka grabbing Smokey Williams trade have I seen it this crazy.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2016, 11:18 PM
I expect the Eagles to try to trade Bradford to the Jets or Broncos or Bills or even to old pal Chip Kelly in San Fran...if they eat the signing bonus dollars they just gave him, his base salary should be somewhat palatable to his new team in terms of what other starting QB's are getting these days...perhaps enough so to recoup a decent midround pick back in return. Philly will be fine with Daniel starting until the rook is ready for prime time.

Oviedo
04-21-2016, 09:01 AM
I expect the Eagles to try to trade Bradford to the Jets or Broncos or Bills or even to old pal Chip Kelly in San Fran...if they eat the signing bonus dollars they just gave him, his base salary should be somewhat palatable to his new team in terms of what other starting QB's are getting these days...perhaps enough so to recoup a decent midround pick back in return. Philly will be fine with Daniel starting until the rook is ready for prime time.

I actually think they keep Bradford for this season. I think they are smart enough not to throw Wentz in coming from a 1AA program. I do see Bradford moving on after the season.

Slapstick
04-21-2016, 09:44 AM
By making this trade, The Browns have virtually guaranteed that Wentz and Goff will be at least decent pro football players while any QB that they pick (like Lynch or Cardale Jones) will suck...

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2016, 09:49 AM
I actually think they keep Bradford for this season. I think they are smart enough not to throw Wentz in coming from a 1AA program. I do see Bradford moving on after the season.

They also are paying Chase Daniel $7 million this year. If a team offered me a decent midround pick for Bradford, considering that after the 2nd overall pick, Philly has one pick on day two of the draft (3.76), and 5 picks later on day 3 (2 5ths, a 6th, and 2 7ths), I would say goodbye to Sam and go with Chase for this year while Carson adjusted to the pro game.

feltdizz
04-21-2016, 12:36 PM

lol, this is true