PDA

View Full Version : Who should I root to fall for us on the DL?

legend of polamalu
04-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Each year I do my own draft board with who I want for us to pick. (My favs).
I know a lot about the CB's and a little about the Safeties but not a lot of knowledge on the Defensive
linemen.
So my question: who are the best 2-3 guys that I should root to fall to us at #25 that can play NT for us while
also quick enough and athletic enough to also spell Tuitt or Cam?
Thanks for the help!

I have Billings thus far. Any others?

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2016, 06:10 PM
In addition to Billings, potential first round DT's include the 2 guys from Alabama (Jarran Reed and A'Shawn Robinson), Sheldon Rankins, and Vernon Butler. I want no part of Nkemdiche.

squidkid
04-13-2016, 07:08 PM
After looking at numerous mock drafts and draft sites, the only 2 DL that you would root to drop are robinson and buckner. All the others seem to be around #25(give or take), depending on site.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Some potential round 2 DT options include UCLA's Kenny Clark, Penn State's Austin Johnson, Mississippi State's Chris Jones, and Ohio State's Adolphus Washington (although I wouldn't necessarily want to use one of our top picks on a guy who was busted for trying to pick up a prostitute during Bowl Week).

Iron City Inc.
04-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Some potential round 2 DT options include UCLA's Kenny Clark, Penn State's Austin Johnson, Mississippi State's Chris Jones, and Ohio State's Adolphus Washington (although I wouldn't necessarily want to use one of our top picks on a guy who was busted for trying to pick up a prostitute during Bowl Week).
Clark, Johnson n Jones on most years are 1st rounders. Vernon Butler will likely go round 2 as well. Those 4 imho would all be good choices at 59. Not sure any get there but when you consider 10 other D linemen may go in round 1 one may fall. That is also the reason a corner in round 1 would seem like the logical choice but it rarely goes the way we think it should.

Oviedo
04-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Billings or Vernon Butler. I actually prefer the latter because he seems to have the ability to rotate in at DE. Not sure Billings can.

squidkid
04-13-2016, 08:51 PM

give the guy some credit. at least he was willing to pay a pro for sex instead of drugging and raping an innocent woman like the others do.

phillyesq
04-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Billings or Vernon Butler. I actually prefer the latter because he seems to have the ability to rotate in at DE. Not sure Billings can.

I don't think Billings can play DE in the 3-4 base, but he'd be playing NT there anyway. I think he can play one of the spots occupied by Heyward / Tuitt in the nickel D, where he is effective as a pass rusher and strong against the run. I also like his age - not quite 21. But either guy could work.

I like Jarran Reed a bit better than Robinson, but I don't think the Steelers have shown much interest in him.

I'm also liking Javon Hargrave on day 2. He is an explosive athlete, but very raw.

Slapstick
04-14-2016, 10:27 AM
I don't think Billings can play DE in the 3-4 base, but he'd be playing NT there anyway. I think he can play one of the spots occupied by Heyward / Tuitt in the nickel D, where he is effective as a pass rusher and strong against the run. I also like his age - not quite 21. But either guy could work.

This is what the Steelers need: a guy with the butt to play NT in the base but the quickness and athleticism to play inside on passing downs, so that Heyward and Tuitt aren't playing almost 90% and almost 80% of defensive snaps, respectively...

Oviedo
04-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Butler is a better fit for us. He can play on the nose (don't count out McCullers yet) but he is a much better fit rotating at DE with Heyward and Tuitt than Billings would be.

Shoe
04-14-2016, 08:02 PM
The kid from Louisville sounds like Aaron Donald, but I doubt he would slip anywhere near where we are picking. I don't really have a preference for anyone else. I'm not following as intensely as normal, but I don't think Kenny Clark is projected as a first anymore... so he wouldn't slip to our pick. I like him too.

Oviedo
04-15-2016, 08:12 AM
The kid from Louisville sounds like Aaron Donald, but I doubt he would slip anywhere near where we are picking. I don't really have a preference for anyone else. I'm not following as intensely as normal, but I don't think Kenny Clark is projected as a first anymore... so he wouldn't slip to our pick. I like him too.

In the 2nd Round I like Austin Johnson, PSU more than Clark

phillyesq
04-15-2016, 02:01 PM
Butler is a better fit for us. He can play on the nose (don't count out McCullers yet) but he is a much better fit rotating at DE with Heyward and Tuitt than Billings would be.

When you say rotating at end, in the actual 3-4 base? Yes, Butler would have more flexibility there. But in the nickel, where Tuitt and Heyward essentially play DT, Billings would fit just fine. I believe that 4 of his sacks last year came out of the nickel. In that front, he'd provide pass rush and help the run D.

Rara
04-15-2016, 03:08 PM
My heart is set on Javon Hargrave in either the third or fourth. I just like how he plays and is pretty fast...would seem to fit the "new mold" defense that some of us think the Steelers might be turning to..the 3-5-5, I think?