PDA

View Full Version : Who the "experts" say the Steelers will draft in Round 1

Ghost
04-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Here’s a look at 30 mock drafts and the player the experts think the Steelers will take in round 1 (a few had a round 2 choice so I included that as well). I like to read up on the potential picks prior to the start of the draft on April 28th .

Picks By Position:

CB: 25
S: 1
OT: 2
QB: 1
DT: 1

Most popular choices: **1. William Jackson III - 6'2" / 195 (10 drafts) 2. Mackensie Alexander - 5'10" / 190 (8 drafts) 3. Eli Apple - 6'1" / 199 (4 drafts)

** (I'm not an ESPN insider but Mel Kiper has Jackson as the Steelers pick as of this week)

Drafts:

Chris Burke (SI.com): Jarran Reed – DT – Bama / Jeremy Cash – S – Duke

Pro Football Focus: Karl Joseph – S – WVU / Will Fuller – WR – ND

Ike Taylor (NFL.com): Kendall Fuller – CB – VA Tech

Maurice Jones Drew (NFL.com): Kendall Fuller – CB – VA Tech

Charly Casserly (NFL.com): Artie Burns – CB – Miami

Bucky Brooks (NFL.com): William Jackson III – CB - Houston

Daniel Jeremiah (NFL.com): Mackensie Alexander – CB - Clemson

Charles Davis (NFL.com): Eli Apple – CB – OSU

Walter Football: William Jackson III – CB – Houston

Draftsite.com: Mackensie Alexander – CB – Clemson / Tyler Boyd – WR – Pitt

NFL Draft Geek: William Jackson III – CB – Houston

Bleacher Report: Eli Apple – CB – OSU

Newsday: William Jackson III – CB – Houston

Drafttek.com: William Jackson III – CB – Houston / Kenny Clark – DT – UCLA

Eric Edholm (Yahoo sports): Mackensie Alexander – CB – Clemson / Cardale Jones – QB – OSU

Hub Arkush (Pro Football Weekly): Kyle Murphy – OT – Stanford

Kevin Fishbain (Pro Football Weekly): Mackensie Alexander – CB – Clemson

Nate Adkins (Pro Football Weekly): Eli Apple – CB – OSU

Scout.com: William Jackson III – CB - Houston

SB Nation: William Jackson III – CB - Houston

Rob Rang (CBS Sports): Mackensie Alexander – CB – Clemson

Dane Brugler (CBS Sports): Mackensie Alexander – CB – Clemson

Pete Prisco (CBS Sports): William Jackson III – CB - Houston

Will Brinson (CBS Sports): Mackensie Alexander – CB – Clemson

USA Today: Mackensie Alexander – CB – Clemson

Fox Sports: Paxton Lynch – QB – Memphis

Sportsnet: William Jackson III – CB – Houston

TheScore.com: Taylor Decker – OT – OSU

Chicago Tribune: William Jackson III – CB – Houston

Pat Kirwin (real football network): Eli Apple – CB – OSU / Adolphus Washington – DL – OSU

squidkid
04-08-2016, 03:10 PM
it seems as tho the steelers have shown a lot of interest in jackson, so that seems a likely pick.
up to this point, 3 other teams have had jackson in for a private visit. ravens, dolphins and raiders. they drafty at #6, #13 and #14.
although jackson has shot up draft boards lately, i havent seen him mocked anywhere near that high.
not that private visits are the end all, be all to guessing who gets drafted by which team, but using that as something to go by, it seems to me that he could be the logical pick for the steelers up to this point in time.

Oviedo
04-08-2016, 03:36 PM
With all the highly visible interest in CBs, that pretty much clinches that we won't select one in Round 1.

I'll bet Defensive or Offensive Line

squidkid
04-08-2016, 03:49 PM
With all the highly visible interest in CBs, that pretty much clinches that we won't select one in Round 1.

I'll bet Defensive or Offensive Line

i dont see that being the case. i can see them targeting 1 or 2 for the first round and taking them if they are available. i dont see the logic in multiple visits with a player to establish a smokescreen. if anything, the steelers seem to tip their hand every year.

Shoe
04-08-2016, 09:35 PM
i dont see that being the case. i can see them targeting 1 or 2 for the first round and taking them if they are available. i dont see the logic in multiple visits with a player to establish a smokescreen. if anything, the steelers seem to tip their hand every year.

I tend to agree.
I've been following the draft for 25 years now. One of the things I'm noticing in recent years, is how accurate the draft predictions have become. Back in the day, a mock draft from Mel Kiper (or anyone) was filled with inaccuracies, bad ratings on players, etc. These days, it seems everyone (teams, expert commentators) are much more in-line in terms of playing ratings.

That being said, I think these days it is much more of a what-you-see-is-what-you-get sort of thing when it comes to smoke-screening. I think the guys we are seeming to be interested in... are guys we're interested in.

Shoe
04-08-2016, 09:36 PM
I really want to see us take a DB or two for obvious reasons... but I also want us to take a DL early in the draft, because that is where it is said to be deepest.

squidkid
04-09-2016, 09:13 PM
i want a cb, s, dl, olb the first 4 rounds in no particular order
i will be upset if they draft any other positions before round 5 and dont want them to reach for some ignorant luxury pick like the rainey or archer types regardless of round
no qb, p, k or te either.

pittpete
04-09-2016, 10:29 PM
i will be upset if they draft any other positions before round 5 and dont want them to reach for some ignorant luxury pick like the rainey or archer types regardless of round

Once again i agree with the fishman....LOL

Oviedo
04-10-2016, 08:56 AM
Steelers don't need a QB article

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/4/9/11397270/why-the-steelers-dont-need-to-draft-a-qb-in-the-2016-nfl-draft

Not sure I agree and would consider someone in Round 6 or 7

squidkid
04-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Steelers don't need a QB article

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/4/9/11397270/why-the-steelers-dont-need-to-draft-a-qb-in-the-2016-nfl-draft

Not sure I agree and would consider someone in Round 6 or 7

i didnt read the article but
we wasted a 4th round pick on a supposedly good qb and 3 years later developed him into a mediocre backup with the jones pick.
what are the chances you find a qb in the 6th or 7th round and he even makes the squad?
when ben is done, a first rounder will needed to replace him. until then, UDFA and FA can fill the 2nd and 3rd qb

SteelerOfDeVille
04-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Deandre Houston-Carson-CB/S-William and Mary
you've stolen my selection... punk! :p

Shoe
04-10-2016, 09:55 PM
i didnt read the article but
we wasted a 4th round pick on a supposedly good qb and 3 years later developed him into a mediocre backup with the jones pick.
what are the chances you find a qb in the 6th or 7th round and he even makes the squad?
when ben is done, a first rounder will needed to replace him. until then, UDFA and FA can fill the 2nd and 3rd qb

To be fair, what are the chances of finding a QB at any point in the draft if you're not in the Top 10. The best QBs in this last 10 years are probably:

Manning
Ben
Rodgers
Brees
Brady*
Rivers
Cam
Romo

It basically says that you find QBs in the 1st, or you find them in the bargain bin (Romo, Brady*).

Slapstick
04-11-2016, 06:17 AM
I simply hope the Steelers just stick with their draft strategy...over the years, it has worked for them more often than not...

feltdizz
04-11-2016, 10:09 AM
I simply hope the Steelers just stick with their draft strategy...over the years, it has worked for them more often than not...

yep, we have a pretty good track record.

phillyesq
04-11-2016, 12:11 PM

I generally agree with this. If a talented offensive lineman provides an exceptional value over what is available, I'd be ok with going in that direction after the first round, but otherwise, I'd stick with the strength of the draft and stay with defense.

RuthlessBurgher
04-11-2016, 01:59 PM
I generally agree with this. If a talented offensive lineman provides an exceptional value over what is available, I'd be ok with going in that direction after the first round, but otherwise, I'd stick with the strength of the draft and stay with defense.

Yeah, preferably we are very D heavy early, but I also like Cody Whitehair and Josh Garnett on day 2 as interior OL depth and an heir apparent for Ramon Foster if the board happens to fall that way. And with our track record of drafting wideouts on day two, I wouldn't be furious with someone like Sterling Shepard, Michael Thomas, Tyler Boyd, or Charone Peake if the team does not plan to extend Markus Wheaton long term and lost faith on Martavis Bryant.