PDA

View Full Version : Steelers looking to convert another player.

SS Laser
01-22-2016, 02:34 AM
Brian Mihalik was a 6ft 9 DE at Boston college. Now listed as a OT for the steelers. Wonder if they can convert another to OT? AV had some blocking experience from playing TE I always figured. Plus he has the mental and work ethic from being a ranger that makes his switch possible. Interesting they are looking at another "7" footer as a OT! Maybe they want them as the book ends in the future when Gibert's contract is up? Interesting to see if he sticks around on the practice squad this year.

Oviedo
01-22-2016, 12:03 PM
It worked once so definitely worth a try.

If you recall before we got AV he was with the Eagles who were trying to make him a Def End

phillyesq
01-22-2016, 01:38 PM
I thought this was going to be about Doran Grant. According to Tomlin, they may consider having Grant move to safety in the offseason.

Slapstick
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM
I thought this was going to be about Doran Grant. According to Tomlin, they may consider having Grant move to safety in the offseason.

Actually, this is not a new development...

May 2, 2015:

Doran Grant, the Ohio State and first-team All-Big Ten cornerback, can play safety.

"I think he's that strong of a tackler that he could easily transition from corner to safety," said Lake, the Steelers defensive backs coach.

In the same article, there was also this bit of info:

Earlier this offseason, Mike Tomlin said he wouldn't be opposed to moving Mike Mitchell from free safety, where he started last year, to strong safety.

It makes things even more interesting, IMO...

BradshawsHairdresser
01-22-2016, 07:51 PM
Actually, this is not a new development...

May 2, 2015:

In the same article, there was also this bit of info:

It makes things even more interesting, IMO...

Mitchell would be a better SS than FS, IMO. But then the Steelers would need a FS. Grant might be fine there, but at this point, it's an unknown.

Rara
01-23-2016, 09:00 PM
This is what I've been saying the whole time...put Mitchell back to his natural position at Strong Safety. He should do better there. Yes...we would then have a hole at Free Safety...but can easily be fixed, internally or externally. I would be intrigued with seeing Dorian Grant become a Free Safety or if a snowball chance in hell..the Steelers have money to sign Eric Weddle, then fine.

The Steelers could also go the draft route again..but it's a gamble..which puts my comment back into relation to this thread. It would be interesting to get a former defensive end converted to tackle..however...where does that leave Gilbert then? If Villanueva is and would be starting at left tackle and let Beachum go...then that'd mean Mihalik would have to go to right tackle..which would mean bye to Gilbert.

RuthlessBurgher
01-24-2016, 01:10 AM
What? Bye to Gilbert??? In spite of the never-changing opinions of some Steeler fans, the fact is that Gilbert is now a top notch NFL starting right tackle. Meanwhile, Mihalik will be lucky if he earns a spot on the practice squad.

Oviedo
01-24-2016, 04:18 AM
What? Bye to Gilbert??? In spite of the never-changing opinions of some Steeler fans, the fact is that Gilbert is now a top notch NFL starting right tackle. Meanwhile, Mihalik will be lucky if he earns a spot on the practice squad.

I also found the "get rid of Gilbert" point of view ridiculous. I heard several times this season he was playing at close to Pro Bowl level even though he did tail off some towards the end of the year.

Slapstick
01-24-2016, 09:41 AM
I also found the "get rid of Gilbert" point of view ridiculous. I heard several times this season he was playing at close to Pro Bowl level even though he did tail off some towards the end of the year.

In the Pro Bowl, they don't make distinctions between left and right tackles....the entire roster is all LTs....I have read that Gilbert was the RT to receive the most votes...

Shoe
01-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Gilbert is a player... All he is going to need now, is to build on this last season and show toughness and ability to be healthy and available going forward. I don't know who this BC guy is, but I do know that AV is legit as well as Gilbert.

BTW, with the thread title, I thought Roosevelt Nix's name was going to be brought up. He's a player too!