PDA

View Full Version : Ok, that defense that let them score 16 points in 0.5 seconds ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Announcers (Tunch and partners) said Butler was dialing up blitzes like every play. Still, Backup QB #64 carved us up, with a TD given up by sloppy coverage in the secondary (not even Blake this time).

So ... how good is Denver's offensive line compared to Cincy? Will we be able to apply more pressure than we did on yesterday's QB?

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 01:08 PM
It hasn't even been 24 hours...

...can't we just enjoy this win, first? :)

papillon
01-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Announcers (Tunch and partners) said Butler was dialing up blitzes like every play. Still, Backup QB #64 carved us up, with a TD given up by sloppy coverage in the secondary (not even Blake this time).

So ... how good is Denver's offensive line compared to Cincy? Will we be able to apply more pressure than we did on yesterday's QB?

This one should have been over at halftime, the defense was great in the first half and the offense didn't finish drives. I realize they gave up a lot of points in a short period of time, this team has to understand that the offense is the driving force and that when the defense is getting off the field you need TDs, not FGs. The Bengal defense was middle of the pack, the Denver offense is #1, the offense needs to show up regardless of who is the QB.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 01:19 PM

Sorry, chief, I was just thinking about how we're going to beat Denver, and my mind got ahead of itself. You're right!

pittpete
01-10-2016, 01:29 PM

Yes lets just be happy.....Go Steelers yahhhhhyeeeeee
Mike Mitchell is pretty terrible in coverage.Plays so deep it's something i cant understand. Its like we play 10 vs 11 sometimes.
On a blitz i saw he was so late, AJ got rid of the ball before he got to the LOS.
Blake did have a decent game but dont get too excited about that INT that was an injured duck.
Mitchell continually fails to make a play on a ball because his head is down looking for the big hit.
Sorry Slappy if this deflates your rah rah time period.
This week Gay had cushionitis.

SS Laser
01-10-2016, 01:30 PM
This steelers offense has been in a terrible funk since after the second half of the Broncos game! If the Ravens and Bungals an even the Browns to extent can lock up this offense mostly the donkeys can. They had to learn something from these games. I don't get what the steelers put on film but this offense is struggling bad!!!!!!!

raycafan
01-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Once Ben went down they went up, some times holding the damn is tough. Should they have stepped up, sure. It was not for the lack of trying they were blitzing so frantically they running in to each other which killed the stunt. Plus s the O was not moving the ball giving them a break and controlling the clock. But I will tell you I think my heart is still pumping hard from last night after a crappy night of sleep. Related? I think so.

pfelix73
01-10-2016, 01:42 PM
It was 15-0 and Ben went out. IF Ben would've thrown the ball away and didn't get planted at the 3 yd line, the score may have ended up a bit differently. But chyt happens, and the other team rallied when our #7 less O couldn't do much.

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Mike Mitchell is pretty terrible in coverage.Plays so deep it's something i cant understand. Its like we play 10 vs 11 sometimes.
On a blitz i saw he was so late, AJ got rid of the ball before he got to the LOS.
Blake did have a decent game but dont get too excited about that INT that was an injured duck.
Mitchell continually fails to make a play on a ball because his head is down looking for the big hit.

I see Alice has not yet lightened up...

skyhawk
01-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Are you kidding me? The defense played well. This Steeler offense is highly, highly, overrated.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-10-2016, 07:21 PM
But some of the weaknesses of the defense got exposed in the 4th quarter. I know A.J. Green is hard to cover, but Mitchell just sucked. Blake had the INT, but he continues to be a target. Gay has been solid, but he seemed to be off his game last night. They're going to have to do much better to advance in the playoffs. Yes, Butler dialed up a lot of different blitzes, but they still couldn't generate enough pressure via the pass rush in the 4th when they needed it.

That said, it was good to see Shazier step up. I thought DuPree and Jarvis also had good games.

pittpete
01-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Dupree was a beast vs the run

Slap i'll lighten up once we win the SuperBowl;)

feltdizz
01-10-2016, 08:16 PM
defense played great. Offense was horrible

feltdizz
01-10-2016, 08:19 PM
But some of the weaknesses of the defense got exposed in the 4th quarter. I know A.J. Green is hard to cover, but Mitchell just sucked. Blake had the INT, but he continues to be a target. Gay has been solid, but he seemed to be off his game last night. They're going to have to do much better to advance in the playoffs. Yes, Butler dialed up a lot of different blitzes, but they still couldn't generate enough pressure via the pass rush in the 4th when they needed it.

That said, it was good to see Shazier step up. I thought DuPree and Jarvis also had good games.

seems like our offense was exposed.

D was awesome. Offense kept giving the Bengals a short field in the 4th.

How is the D to blame when they forced a fumble and the offense went backwards to the 3 on a sack.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-10-2016, 08:25 PM
seems like our offense was exposed.

D was awesome. Offense kept giving the Bengals a short field in the 4th.

How is the D to blame when they forced a fumble and the offense went backwards to the 3 on a sack.

I agree that the Steelers' offense was below the line--they didn't score enough points. They needed to get another TD or two instead of settling for FGs.

But no matter how you slice it, the D gave up 16 points fairly easily in the 4th quarter. They were awesome for three quarters. Not so much in the 4th (Shazier's play notwithstanding).

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 08:30 PM
I agree that the Steelers' offense was below the line--they didn't score enough points. They needed to get another TD or two instead of settling for FGs.

But no matter how you slice it, the D gave up 16 points fairly easily in the 4th quarter. They were awesome for three quarters. Not so much in the 4th (Shazier's play notwithstanding).

Except, they did force a fumble that gave us a chance to win the game...

raycafan
01-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Since Baltimore the offensive magic from the streak of games earlier is non existent. Ben is not using all receivers, like say Seattle, he has become to singular focused on one receiver, not taking what is given. But the defense is and will always be this season unpredictable. But they are far more exciting to watch than the more recent seasons. They really do fly around the speed from youth is what makes it fun to watch, has I choke on the lump in my throat watching.

NorthCoast
01-10-2016, 08:54 PM

I agree pitt. I caught a few post game analysis and they commented they don't think Mitchell knows how to play safety in coverage. They say he often takes up wrong positions, plays too far off, and is too slow in reacting. They said they had no idea what Mitchell was trying to do on AJ Green's TD but he was basically in no mans land on that play.

SidSmythe
01-10-2016, 09:10 PM
The Defense was victim of an ineffective backup QB putting them in bad situations.

RobinCole
01-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Can't we be at least 51% happy until the medical reports come in?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Except, they did force a fumble that gave us a chance to win the game...

That's why I said, "Shazier's play notwithstanding." Might want to check your reading glasses.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-10-2016, 09:46 PM
I agree pitt. I caught a few post game analysis and they commented they don't think Mitchell knows how to play safety in coverage. They say he often takes up wrong positions, plays too far off, and is too slow in reacting. They said they had no idea what Mitchell was trying to do on AJ Green's TD but he was basically in no mans land on that play.
Mitchell was improved this year, but he's a liability in coverage. He isn't great at diagnosing what the offense is doing.

Steelers could use an offseason upgrade of 3 positions in the defensive backfield.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-10-2016, 09:47 PM
Can't we be at least 51% happy until the medical reports come in?

I'm way more than 51% happy. Gutty performance with some amazing plays vs. the Bungles.

But I'm also looking ahead. It's what a lot of fans on message boards do.

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 09:49 PM
That's why I said, "Shazier's play notwithstanding." Might want to check your reading glasses.

I was merely making the point that you can't exclude a single play, especially when it is the biggest play of the game...

You have to take the good with the bad with this D...

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Mitchell was improved this year, but he's a liability in coverage. He isn't great at diagnosing what the offense is doing.

Steelers could use an offseason upgrade of 3 positions in the defensive backfield.

I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers make a serious play for Eric Weddle and moving Mitchell to Strong Safety...that upgrades both positions, IMO...

Then, I would like to resign both Gay and Boykin if I could, but I doubt that'll happen...

Blake can get on with his life's work...hopefully his playoff tape can help him land a job somewhere...

Perhaps a premium pick spent on a CB to go along with the youngsters, Cockrell, Golson and maybe even Grant if he can take a step forward in year 2...

pittpete
01-10-2016, 11:16 PM
I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers make a serious play for Eric Weddle and moving Mitchell to Strong Safety...that upgrades both positions, IMO...

Then, I would like to resign both Gay and Boykin if I could, but I doubt that'll happen...

Blake can get on with his life's work...hopefully his playoff tape can help him land a job somewhere...

Perhaps a premium pick spent on a CB to go along with the youngsters, Cockrell, Golson and maybe even Grant if he can take a step forward in year 2...

Holy crap i agree with ya Slap...LOL:D
Mitchell is not a ballhawk

Eich
01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Are you kidding me? The defense played well. This Steeler offense is highly, highly, overrated.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "overrated". To me, it's inconsistent and I'm not sure why. One reason has been Ben. He has games where he's unstoppable. Look what our offense did against the best defense in the NFL - the Broncos. Ben was 40 of 55 for 380 yards and 3 TD's. That supposedly was not possible against that D. But then he has multi-pick games against far inferior D's.