PDA

View Full Version : I would resign if I were Marv Lewis

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 01:04 AM
Just go out into the desert and live in a cave. Because this was your leadership that did that. LOSER!!

:bungalssuck:bungalssuck:bungalssuck

buccoray61
01-10-2016, 01:07 AM
He's a good football mind,but he should lose his job over this.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 01:15 AM
I'm watching Lewis on TV now ... he should be FIRED by the NFL ... he had a chance to apologize, he defended Barfict and the other hits his team made.

He should have apologized.

Ghost
01-10-2016, 01:25 AM
There's no doubt Burfict was absolutely head hunting at the end of the game and while he's a piece of sh!t, that is on Coach Lewis for not pulling him off the field or trying to reign him in towards the end. You can say it's the player but that's on the head coach for not knowing/understanding where your players are in their mindset. Those losers deserve each other.

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 01:30 AM
Loser is 100% correct!

Marvin Lewis is the first coach in the history of the NFL to go 0-7 in the playoffs!

SteelBucks
01-10-2016, 01:32 AM
There's no doubt Burfict was absolutely head hunting at the end of the game and while he's a piece of sh!t, that is on Coach Lewis for not pulling him off the field or trying to reign him in towards the end. You can say it's the player but that's on the head coach for not knowing/understanding where your players are in their mindset. Those losers deserve each other.

The hit was sickening. They are showing replays on NFL Network and it's stomach turning. Burfict and Pac Man are out of control players.

RuthlessBurgher
01-10-2016, 01:51 AM
Martavis Bryant did his best Odell Beckham Jr. impression with his crazy TD catch.

Vontaze Burfict did his best Odell Beckham Jr. impression with his suspension worthy out of control behavior on the field.

Mr.wizard
01-10-2016, 02:26 AM
I don't think Marvin Lewis is going to have the luxury of making that decision, Vontez Burfict and Pacman Jones may have cost him his job.

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 02:33 AM
Eh, Mike Brown got his home playoff game...cha-ching!

That's probably all he cares about...

papillon
01-10-2016, 02:36 AM
Just so everyone knows many of the talking heads don't believe that Burfict's hit should have been flagged let a lone intentional and even the Steelers very own James Harrison didn't think it was malicious, he thought it was penalty by the rule of law, but nothing nasty, just football.

Pappy

Moonie
01-10-2016, 02:37 AM
The Bengals are just losers. Just a losing franchise, year in and year out, and they always will be. Even when they are good, they suck. The are the complete opposite of our Steelers.

MCHammer
01-10-2016, 02:38 AM
I find it hard to believe Lewis gets fired over this. Management seems happy to be in the conversation. I don't get the "Odell Beckham Jr." references. Then again, I'm straight. ;)

Starlifter
01-10-2016, 02:46 AM
I don't think Marvin Lewis is going to have the luxury of making that decision, Vontez Burfict and Pacman Jones may have cost him his job.

not a chance. as bad as marvin is as a coach - mike brown is one of the worst owners in the league. the best success he's ever had has been with marvin. they have been losers for so long and are so desperate to win - there's nothing they won't overlook. that's why they defend guys like pacman and burfect. they have a long history of low character guys who can play great - but ultimately cost them in the long run. you will never see mike brown making a 'statement' personnel decision.

the bar is set low in cincy. marvin is good enough to stay above it. the bungle fans continue to pack the stadium and buy a bunch of orange crap. mike brown has the team and the city right where he wants them.

marvin ain't going anywhere.

and truthfully, that's good new for us. i much prefer an inept franchise with an inept owner and a poor head coach.

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2016, 02:51 AM
Just so everyone knows many of the talking heads don't believe that Burfict's hit should have been flagged let a lone intentional and even the Steelers very own James Harrison didn't think it was malicious, he thought it was penalty by the rule of law, but nothing nasty, just football.

Pappy

really? Who are they?

That was a nasty hit.
A matt Cooke type elbow to the head

papillon
01-10-2016, 02:53 AM
really? Who are they?

That was a nasty hit.
A matt Cooke type elbow to the head

Deion Sanders and whoever works with Merrill Hoge, even Hoge was sympathetic to Burfict to a degree. Deion is saying because of the speed of the game and the fact the Burfict kept his elbow tucked without extending it to deliver a blow that he was actually trying to prevent hitting AB.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 02:58 AM
Deion Sanders and whoever works with Merrill Hoge, even Hoge was sympathetic to Burfict to a degree. Deion is saying because of the speed of the game and the fact the Burfict kept his elbow tucked without extending it to deliver a blow that he was actually trying to prevent hitting AB.

Pappy

Well, if Deion said it...

I mean, that guy made a career out of preventing himself from hitting people...:lol:

papillon
01-10-2016, 02:59 AM
I think Burfict was in a no win situation and the only way he could have avoided it was by somehow to avoid hitting AB. Here's the thing if Brown catches that ball and Burfict cleans him out AB is a defenseless receiver and we know what happens if AB misses the catch. There was no avoiding hitting AB on that play, not when you weigh 250 plus and have a bead on the receiver and you're running full speed, so IMO, Burfict was getting 15 yards on that play regardless of if AB catches it or not.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2016, 03:01 AM
I think Burfict was in a no win situation and the only way he could have avoided it was by somehow to avoid hitting AB. Here's the thing if Brown catches that ball and Burfict cleans him out AB is a defenseless receiver and we know what happens if AB misses the catch. There was no avoiding hitting AB on that play, not when you weigh 250 plus and have a bead on the receiver and you're running full speed, so IMO, Burfict was getting 15 yards on that play regardless of if AB catches it or not.

Pappy

The way I saw it. He definitely had time to pull up.
Could have easily avoided him.

papillon
01-10-2016, 03:07 AM

I don't like the guy (Burfict), but I just don't see how he was avoiding that collision, he weighs 250 plus and was running directly at him, when the ball tipped off Brown's hands Burfict was about 5-6 yards away approximately two strides, maybe he could have, but at that point hew was thinking that AB is catching it and he's going to do everything he can to make it incomplete. Changing that thought process in less than .1 seconds would be very difficult, and actually, LaDainian Tomlinson agrees with you. He's the only talking head so far that has come out and said that Burfict should have pulled up or steered clear of AB after he missed the catch. It happens so fast on the field.

Pappy

Sugar
01-10-2016, 03:07 AM
Boomer had nothing nice to say about the Bengals, Burfict or Jones. In fact, he was even calling for Marvin's head after the game.

papillon
01-10-2016, 03:08 AM
Boomer had nothing nice to say about the Bengals, Burfict or Jones. In fact, he was even calling for Marvin's head after the game.

Esiason or Berman?

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2016, 03:11 AM
I don't like the guy (Burfict), but I just don't see how he was avoiding that collision, he weighs 250 plus and was running directly at him, when the ball tipped off Brown's hands Burfict was about 5-6 yards away approximately two strides, maybe he could have, but at that point hew was thinking that AB is catching it and he's going to do everything he can to make it incomplete. Changing that thought process in less than .1 seconds would be very difficult, and actually, LaDainian Tomlinson agrees with you. He's the only talking head so far that has come out and said that Burfict should have pulled up or steered clear of AB after he missed the catch. It happens so fast on the field.

Pappy

He wound up clipping just his head and not ab's body.
With a little effort or should I say self restraint, I think he could have easily avoided his head.

Sugar
Esiason or Berman?

Pappy

Boomer Esiason on the post game show.

On the postgame show on CBS, Esiason made his opinion of the Bengals' conduct throughout the game known. "This was a disgraceful performance by the Cincinnati Bengals. An ugly performance by one, Vontaze Burfict," Esiason said (https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/686053744451170308).
"I'm a former Bengal and I'm embarrassed by the way this game ended and by the way these guys acted on the field today," he continued (https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/686054112648101888).
Lastly, he said (https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/686054448481841152) of head coach Marvin Lewis, "If Marvin Lewis can't control his players, maybe Marvin Lewis shouldn't be standing there on the sidelines coaching."

spyboots
Ladanian Tomlinson did NOT agree with Sanders. He thought Buttfict turned INTO him, not tried to avoid him.

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2016, 03:13 AM
Ladanian Tomlinson did NOT agree with Sanders. He thought Buttfict turned INTO him, not tried to avoid him.

Yeah. Like he almost wanted to try and take his head off

papillon
01-10-2016, 03:25 AM
With a little effort or should I say self restraint, I think he could have easily avoided his head.

That was a bit more than a "clipping" of the head, he knocked him out, regardless of how much or how little he hit. Now, knowing Burfict he may have been targeting AB's head whether he caught or not, but anyhow, I still think the Steelers are getting 15 yards and a chance to win the game with a long FG. It's just my take on it, it worked out and I'm happy, happy guy this morning.

I'm not happy that in all likelihood the Steeles will be playing without AB and his 2K yards in Denver.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2016, 04:15 AM
I did not intend to make it sound less harsh by using the word clipping. just meant he didn't try to hit ABs whole body and just tried hitting his head. As if almost he thought he could get away with his cheap shot of he only "clipped" his head.

The Man of Steel
01-10-2016, 06:52 AM
http://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykII was waiting for Marvin to channel his inner Sam Wyche and break out a new version of the "you don't live in Cleveland" speech but sadly it never happened.

Shawn
01-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Lewis tried to reign him in all game. Do you believe he said hey Burfict go out and lose the game for us? No...you seen him trying to control an out of control maniac all game long. Now, an argument could be made that he should have pulled him. But, do you pull your best player? Maybe. I wouldn't have. This are grown men and once they step on the field there is little Lewis can do.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 09:28 AM

Pappy

I think Burfict made a choice to not avoid the head area. The rules are written to encourage aiming for other parts of the body, and he blew them off.

I don't think he was a victim of circumstance in any way.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 09:36 AM

Pappy

The trouble is, the way the rules are written now, that is illegal. "Defenseless receiver" and all. If possible he should have had a 30-yard penalty on that play alone - defenseless receiver hit, PLUS hit to the head. There was nothing at all defendable about that hit under today's rules, as I understand them.

flippy
01-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Even better than Marvin resigning would be some quality players from Cincy resigning. What if guys like Dalton, AJ Green, Eifert, Gio, etc came out publicly and asked to be traded and said they don't want to be associated with the Bengals franchise?

Mr.wizard
01-10-2016, 10:26 AM

Pappy

I don't buy that If your 5 or 6 yards away when the receiver misses it you have time to adjust and even if you don't that hit is still a penalty if AB makes the catch. He was coming in for the kill shot, if he wasn't he could of went to the mid section of brown. I can't listen to the argument that Burfict pulled up, if your pulling up then you have already recognized the ball is incomplete and have time avoid that hit. I cant listen to the moving target argument, Because brown leaped in the air came down with two feet and then was moving, Burfict was looking right at him the whole way and had plenty of time to avoid the hit, I mean he hit nothing except Brown's head.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Even better than Marvin resigning would be some quality players from Cincy resigning. What if guys like Dalton, AJ Green, Eifert, Gio, etc came out publicly and asked to be traded and said they don't want to be associated with the Bengals franchise?

Yeah, that would be awesome.

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 10:33 AM
@EdgeofSports: Marvin Lewis' biggest mistake was naming El Chapo as defensive coordinator.

steedkirk
01-10-2016, 11:16 AM
http://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykII was waiting for Marvin to channel his inner Sam Wyche and break out a new version of the "you don't live in Cleveland" speech but sadly it never happened. THANK YOU!! i could not find this clip!!!!:cool:

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 11:18 AM
I might retire if I were Marvin...

Seeing how his old boss and buddy Bill Cowher is living the good life now, maybe that would be more appealing than watching your own star players melt down and lose a playoff game for you...

NorthCoast
01-10-2016, 11:20 AM

^Agreed NJ. If Burflict was actually looking before the hit, he could have redirected the blow to AB's chest and all would be good. Blows to the head of a defenseless receiver has been a penalty for a couple of years now whether intentional or not.

phillyesq
01-10-2016, 12:19 PM
According to Ed Werder, a Bengals player said that Lewis failed to reign in Pacman and Burfict all year long, and the team feared that those guys would cost them a close game. There was a reason that Burfict was undrafted - and it wasn't his physical talent. Lewis has consistently stocked his teams with guys like this and failed to reign them in.

He shouldn't have a choice to resign - he should be fired. You can't have somebody running around on the field out of control clearly looking to injure other players. His lack of discipline came back to bite the team.

papillon
01-10-2016, 12:24 PM
I did not intend to make it sound less harsh by using the word clipping. just meant he didn't try to hit ABs whole body and just tried hitting his head. As if almost he thought he could get away with his cheap shot of he only "clipped" his head.

I gotcha, when it happened at full speed my wife and I are like, dang, Ben's shoulder probably caused the high throw, the Steelers have one more chance to move the ball 15 yards and then the flag came in. I still think Burfict was in a no win situation (possibly because of his own doing) whether the pass was caught or not.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Look at the pic I linked to in this thread, http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/45212-Photo-Late-hit-not-just-hit-to-the-head-(AB) , it clearly shows he was tweeting up to hit AB after he came down and landed.

It wasn't just a hit to the head, it was a late hit as well.

papillon
01-10-2016, 12:32 PM
I don't buy that If your 5 or 6 yards away when the receiver misses it you have time to adjust and even if you don't that hit is still a penalty if AB makes the catch. He was coming in for the kill shot, if he wasn't he could of went to the mid section of brown. I can't listen to the argument that Burfict pulled up, if your pulling up then you have already recognized the ball is incomplete and have time avoid that hit. I cant listen to the moving target argument, Because brown leaped in the air came down with two feet and then was moving, Burfict was looking right at him the whole way and had plenty of time to avoid the hit, I mean he hit nothing except Brown's head.

I'm not saying he tried to pull up, I'm only saying that because of today's rules that Burfict was in a no win situation, similar to the play earlier in the game when the Bengals were flagged for hitting a defenseless receiver. Are players in the secondary supposed to allow the catch, then allow 2 steps and then hit the receiver? How do you break up a bang-bang play in the secondary, receivers are defenseless every time they reach to make a catch. I hope he's fined and suspended, his history says he deserves it, I'm only giving an opinion on the rules as they are written and the disadvantage today's secondaries have to play within those rules.

There were times in the game last night I was yelling at Mike Mitchell because he was going for kill shots and the ball was tipped directly into areas where he had been a step earlier. They're trying to turn secondaries into ball hawking units and not head hunting units and that's a good thing, but it is still tackle football.

Pappy

papillon
01-10-2016, 12:35 PM
^Agreed NJ. If Burflict was actually looking before the hit, he could have redirected the blow to AB's chest and all would be good. Blows to the head of a defenseless receiver has been a penalty for a couple of years now whether intentional or not.

I think Burfict is penalized regardless of where he hit him, because of the defenseless receiver rule. Weren't they penalized earlier in the game for a hit on Wheaton or Bryant that was bang-bang play without a shot to the head? In that instance I think Burfict (to avoid a penalty) has to figure out a way to completely miss AB, otherwise the flag is coming in.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 12:37 PM
I think Burfict is penalized regardless of where he hit him, because of the defenseless receiver rule. Weren't they penalized earlier in the game for a hit on Wheaton or Bryant that was bang-bang play without a shot to the head? In that instance I think Burfict (to avoid a penalty) has to figure out a way to completely miss AB, otherwise the flag is coming in.

Pappy

Since he hit AB after the ball had landed incomplete, that probably would have been the better choice...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 12:37 PM
I'm not saying he tried to pull up, I'm only saying that because of today's rules that Burfict was in a no win situation, similar to the play earlier in the game when the Bengals were flagged for hitting a defenseless receiver. Are players in the secondary supposed to allow the catch, then allow 2 steps and then hit the receiver? How do you break up a bang-bang play in the secondary, receivers are defenseless every time they reach to make a catch. I hope he's fined and suspended, his history says he deserves it, I'm only giving an opinion on the rules as they are written and the disadvantage today's secondaries have to play within those rules.

There were times in the game last night I was yelling at Mike Mitchell because he was going for kill shots and the ball was tipped directly into areas where he had been a step earlier. They're trying to turn secondaries into ball hawking units and not head hunting units and that's a good thing, but it is still tackle football.

Pappy

Agree. And I think the NFL is indeed saying to defenders, "If you're not good enough to be closer than two - three steps away, so you can reach out and tip the pass ... your punishment is you have to let him catch the ball and protect himself before you hit him."

No more Mel Blount explosions.

papillon
01-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Since he hit AB after the ball had landed incomplete, that probably would have been the better choice...

I don't think he had a choice. Since, he was targeting him from the start whether he caught it or not there was going to be a collision. Based on physics of moving objects pulling up in that situation probably isn't possible or at least highly improbable.

Look, I'm not defending the guy, his history says it was purposeful and I believe that, but I think if its Steeler in this position we're defending him and saying there was no way to pull up moving full speed with a target in mind.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-10-2016, 12:58 PM
The thing is, I believe the NFL is saying, "Don't target like that anymore". He was destined for a 15-yard penalty as soon as his two brain cells made the decision to target him from 5-6 steps away. IMO.

papillon
01-10-2016, 01:05 PM
The thing is, I believe the NFL is saying, "Don't target like that anymore". He was destined for a 15-yard penalty as soon as his two brain cells made the decision to target him from 5-6 steps away. IMO.

Yep, I agree 100%, the problem was definitely lack of brain cells.

Pappy

SS Laser
01-10-2016, 01:15 PM
The NFL has turned into a kitty cat league IMO. And yes our own mike Mitchell try's to do the same thing every game!
I agree with Pap. It was a illegal hit per the rules just don't think it was suspend able hit. I think he did change his intended hit to yes a cheap shot elbow. But I don't think he thought it would end up being AB's head? Is he a "dirty" player sure. He try's to bend the rules. He is a "thug" type player. But more is being made out of the hit because the NFL has got the fans to buy into this type of NFL. Heck the steelers once not long ago had the "dirtiest" player voted by his pears! Our beloved Hines ward! JH is no angel on the field! That's not even going back to old school football hey day of the steelers!

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2016, 02:00 PM

the nhl likes to use the phrase "predatory hit" when looking at questionable hits.

And nd I believe that's what burf**** did there. Knew he had a kill shot and chose to carry it out. Not even caring if he got 15 for it.

Hell, he was engaging with the sideline on a play when he wasn't even involved in the tackle.

Im sure he was telling them something to the effect of

I knocked bell out
now I knocked Ben out.
You're next, Antonio

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2016, 02:04 PM
agreed.

Say at what you want about past players and we all know we've had our share.

But since the concussion law suit and new information on CTE. the rules have changed, the league doesn't want to see this type of hit anymore

raycafan
01-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Really the worst thing about it was there was zero contact on the shoulder to take some of the blow. It was all shoulder on head.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Pappy

You can debate whether or not there was malicious intent, after all, nobody knows what is going on in somebody's mind. You cannot debate whether or not it was worthy of a flag. Defenseless receiver, hit to the head, hit using helmet or shoulder - all three criteria. There is not a more textbook hit than that one.

Moonie
01-10-2016, 02:42 PM
I don't think its debatable whether it was malicious. He deliberately out that shoulder into Brown's helmet, accelerating as he did, dropping the shoulder, and long enough after the play was incomplete. Burfict knew what he was doing, and he enjoys doing it. The guy is a scumbag, and will end up in prison some day.

eniparadoxgma
01-10-2016, 03:25 PM

Lewis tried to reign him in all game. Do you believe he said hey Burfict go out and lose the game for us? No...you seen him trying to control an out of control maniac all game long. Now, an argument could be made that he should have pulled him. But, do you pull your best player? Maybe. I wouldn't have. This are grown men and once they step on the field there is little Lewis can do.

According to Ed Werder, a Bengals player said that Lewis failed to reign in Pacman and Burfict all year long, and the team feared that those guys would cost them a close game. There was a reason that Burfict was undrafted - and it wasn't his physical talent. Lewis has consistently stocked his teams with guys like this and failed to reign them in.

He shouldn't have a choice to resign - he should be fired. You can't have somebody running around on the field out of control clearly looking to injure other players. His lack of discipline came back to bite the team.

*Rein

Anyhow, I think it was a head-hunting, dirty hit. I also think Shazier's hit on Bernard should've been flagged. However, with the rules and refs nowadays it seems like a flip of a coin as to what is and what isn't going to be called.

Chadman
01-11-2016, 01:01 AM
There is a significant difference between both Shazier's hit on Bernard & Bufict's hit on Brown:

When Bernard turns, he ducks into the tackle. Shazier has already lowered his body. If Bernard stands tall, the hit is at worst, high chest. Shazier, at speed, made the choice to tackle in a non-dangerous & illegal zone. Bernard ducks into the tackle, shortening the hit zone & causing helmet connection.

Antonio Brown, however, is stretched out full length- no time to even duck into a protective position. And at full stretch, Burfect hits him in the head with his shoulder. At no point did Burfect aim at a non-danger zone. His intention, at all times, was to hit high & dangerously.

Shazier's contact was unfortunate. Burfect's was vicious.

Burfect should be suspended- not for that hit alone, but like James Harrison was, a collection of hits showing a complete lack of respect of the rules on numerous occasions.

And yes, Marvin Jones should be held accountable. This is the collection of players he put together. Their actions are a reflection of the man in charge. If he can't control them now, what happens next time the Steelers & Bengals meet?

Oviedo
01-11-2016, 09:56 AM
There is a significant difference between both Shazier's hit on Bernard & Bufict's hit on Brown:

When Bernard turns, he ducks into the tackle. Shazier has already lowered his body. If Bernard stands tall, the hit is at worst, high chest. Shazier, at speed, made the choice to tackle in a non-dangerous & illegal zone. Bernard ducks into the tackle, shortening the hit zone & causing helmet connection.

Antonio Brown, however, is stretched out full length- no time to even duck into a protective position. And at full stretch, Burfect hits him in the head with his shoulder. At no point did Burfect aim at a non-danger zone. His intention, at all times, was to hit high & dangerously.

Shazier's contact was unfortunate. Burfect's was vicious.

Burfect should be suspended- not for that hit alone, but like James Harrison was, a collection of hits showing a complete lack of respect of the rules on numerous occasions.

And yes, Marvin Jones should be held accountable. This is the collection of players he put together. Their actions are a reflection of the man in charge. If he can't control them now, what happens next time the Steelers & Bengals meet?

Chadman on the mark again. Bernard was a runner when he got hit. Brown was a defenseless receiver. The refs called it in the game exactly like they had all season long.

Jooser
01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
http://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykII was waiting for Marvin to channel his inner Sam Wyche and break out a new version of the "you don't live in Cleveland" speech but sadly it never happened.

That's a good point. My wife was really upset at the trash being thrown onto the field and the general douchebaggery displayed by the Bungle players and their "fans". I told her, yeah, you used to see this sort of thing in Cleveland and at Raiders games.

Ghost
01-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Burfict has lost ALL benefit of the doubt and it started in college. He went undrafted because he couldn't stop getting personal foul calls at AZ St. It's in his nature to play dirty. In 2013 he was fined $31K against the Packers for 2 incidents - a low hit and a hit to the head (he's an equal opportunity cheater - low and high). Later that year he got fined $31 for leading with the crown of his helmet against the Jets. He had at least 5 of those types of penalties in 2013.

In 2014 he was fined $25K for twisting players ankle after the play was over against the Panthers and Carolina was screaming about how he should have been suspended then.

The last game against the Steelers this season he was fined $70K for 3 separate dirty hits. One going low on Ben and 2 additional unnecessary roughness penalties.

And this hit against Maxx Williams on the Ravens at the end of this year should have been a multi-game suspension. It's insane:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-vontaze-burficts-shot-on-maxx-williams-drawing-scrutiny-20160110-story.html

1 game isn't enough. Based on his repeated actions over 3 seasons he should be sitting for 4. Is the NFL serious about this or not? He's not playing aggressively. He's playing to injure other players.

papillon
01-11-2016, 12:10 PM
If the NFL is serious (and, I assume that they are) about taking this kind of thing out of the game the fines need to escalate with each infraction and to get back to the baseline fine the player has to stay clean for a period of time similar to removing points from your drivers license or you lose the license. First offense, X amount of dollars, second offense 2X (or something similar) amount of dollars, go 16 games without an incident back to X amount of dollars, fail to go 16 games without incident 3X dollars, go 16 games without incident back to 2X amount of dollars, etc., etc. After the third it should cost you a season and by default reset the player back to 2X because he can't play or get paid for 16 games. I don't know what 'X' should be but it could be a percentage of their base salary to make it fair to those that earn league minimum and have issues following the rules.

The other option is to begin penalizing the clubs if they can't or won't do something about it. It really isn't that hard when economics comes into play. Why do people willingly pay taxes? Because if they don't the IRS will come and find you and prosecute or punish you worse than the taxes had you paid them. The tip of the sword works when it comes to people's wallet.

Take the above example that Ghost laid out after the 2013 season Burfict would have been paying 3X the fine amount and missed the 2014 season for being a 3rd time offender. That would have cured him or at least gotten him fired by the Bengals. He could be too obtuse to understand the ramification, but when he isn't collecting a check I think even his two brain cells would be able to cobble together a coherent thought for him to realize he needs to change.

If we keep following the above scenario, the 2014 incident wouldn't have happened (he would be on a leave of absence) and he would be sitting at 2X the fine amount and another incident within the next 16 games puts him back at 3X times the fine and out another year. So, the first infraction versus the Steelers this year puts him at 3X and he's done for the next 16 games yet again. How long will a team tolerate that? Not twice that's for sure

Pappy

Sword
01-11-2016, 12:20 PM

Agreed! I watched it several times, he could have pulled up...He wanted to take him out clearly he had one goal on his mind on
that play....