PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: Bryant has to “toughen up”

Jooser
01-05-2016, 03:40 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/05/roethlisberger-bryant-has-to-toughen-up/

Roethlisberger: Bryant has to “toughen up”

Posted by Zac Jackson on January 5, 2016, 12:57 PM EST

The Steelers weren’t the same offense the last two weeks of the regular season that they were for much of the last two seasons.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh Tuesday morning that getting back to where the offense should be for the postseason will require more from wide receiver Martavis Bryant, who had one catch for no gain in last week’s win in Cleveland.

“Not that I’m shying from saying this [to Bryant]. It comes from love,” Roethlisberger said. “He needs to understand that…at this time of year you have to toughen up. You have to make tough plays, you have to make tough catches and you have to find ways to do everything you can to help this team.

“He was sick last week and that got him behind a little bit. But I love to challenge him. We all do. The sky is the limit for him. I want to challenge him to be the best in the world, and it’s really up to him with what he wants to do with that challenge.

“Does he want to crumble and wilt and pout and let it bother him? Or does he want to rise up, step up, say ‘I’ll take that challenge’ and does he want to be the best in the world?”

Bryant has scored 15 touchdowns in 21 career games but has been kept out of the end zone in four straight games. He had 10 catches for 87 yards vs. the Broncos on Dec. 20 but has two catches since.

Roethlisberger appears on The Cook and Poni Show every Tuesday.

“We need a big postseason from Martavis,” Roethlisberger said later in the interview. “We know defenses will be tuned in to [Antonio Brown] so we need other guys to step up.

“We need Martavis to grow and be tough. We need Steeler tough from him.”

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Bryant had a minor injury last week.

“We’re excited about preparing this week with Martavis and everyone else,” Tomlin said.

We definitely need a dominant Martavis to show up for this run.....

SidSmythe
01-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Ben said it perfectly. Let's see how Bryant responds.

Bigsteel
01-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Let him smoke, he's not himself

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Let him smoke and he'll soon be suspended.

feltdizz
01-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Let him smoke and he'll soon be suspended.

do they test during the playoffs?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2016, 05:24 PM
First Shazier and now Bryant. I wonder how many other Steelers players may be in this category of needing to "toughen up"? Perhaps the talent is in place for a Super Bowl run, but key players are lacking "toughness".

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2016, 05:26 PM
do they test during the playoffs?

Most players, no, but I think Bryant gets tested regularly because of his past problems. I could be wrong, though.

NJ-STEELER
01-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Hmmmm

some of what he said sounds very familiar.

Iron City Inc.
01-05-2016, 07:13 PM
With Bell out I believe Bryant is the lynch pin to this O. He keeps Wheaton in the slot where he is at his best. Too he forces some additional high covers and that allows AB and company to work the under routes. Stretch the field guy who runs that 9 really well. Has some ability to make guys miss on the hitches. Take 5 and go 50. He does need to work on his hands. Sky is the limit for MB. I'm all in on him. He needs to just keep working on his craft and as that skill level sharpens to a point we'll all be pleased with the production level. Kid works at camp and being around AB who is a fantastic example of how to work we really have not seen the best of Bryant yet. The only thing that can stop him from being a 1200 and 10 td guy year in year out is him.

Mr.wizard
01-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Im starting Bryant for my fantasy team this weekend after that jab from Ben.

feltdizz
01-06-2016, 10:28 AM
I hope this works. Used to be a no no to call a teammate out in the media.

papillon
01-06-2016, 10:32 AM
I hope this works. Used to be a no no to call a teammate out in the media.

If Ben talked with MB about this exact thing privately first then it shouldn't be a problem. If the first MB heard of it was in the media then it could be an issue.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-06-2016, 10:37 AM
If Ben talked with MB about this exact thing privately first then it shouldn't be a problem. If the first MB heard of it was in the media then it could be an issue.

Pappy

yeah, even if they talked about it before he went in the radio I still think it could be a problem.

but the way it was phrases was pretty harmless but we have no idea how Bryant reacts to public scrutinity from a QB.

kind of funny seeing Ben do a Hines Ward on Bryant.

SteelCrazy
01-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Steelers WR Bryant accepts challenge from Roethlisberger

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ben Roethlisberger wasn't being cruel or unnecessarily harsh. The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had just seen enough - or not enough, to be accurate - out of wide receiver Martavis Bryant that he felt it was time to speak up.

Two weeks and two largely listless performances on the eve of the playoffs isn't what Roethlisberger wanted to see out of the remarkably talented if still occasionally inconsistent Bryant. So Roethlisberger issued what he called a ''challenge'' during his radio show on Tuesday, saying it was time for Bryant to ''toughen up.''

There was no edge in Roethlisberger's voice as he repeated it in so many words on Wednesday as the Steelers (10-6) prepare for a trip to Cincinnati on Saturday night in the wild-card round.

''I just felt like we need him,'' Roethlisberger said. ''I love that guy like a little brother and just wanted him to know we needed him to step up.''

Something that - when it happens - gives Pittsburgh arguably the best trio of receivers in the NFL in Bryant, All-Pro Antonio Brown and Markus Wheaton. Brown is the record-setting road-runner and perennial Pro Bowler. Wheaton is the versatile everyman and Bryant is perhaps the most athletically gifted of the bunch. His 6-foot-3 frame and seemingly effortless speed make him a matchup nightmare for opponents.

They do, anyway, when Bryant is engaged and on the field. He spent most of last Sunday's win over Cleveland on the sideline with what coach Mike Tomlin called a minor neck injury but could also have doubled as a momentary benching after Bryant - who was slowed all week by an illness - was beat out by Browns defensive back Jordan Poyer for a Roethlisberger pass in the first quarter.

''Oftentimes, when young guys don't get an opportunity to practice, they lack a little detail in play,'' Tomlin said.

Details that Bryant understands he should have ironed out nearing the end of his occasionally brilliant second season.

''I'm still balling,'' Bryant said. ''You have your ups and you have your downs. It's about how you bounce back. I'm going to be ready to go.''

Good thing, because the Steelers need him with the running game almost certainly limited. DeAngelo Williams sat out practice on Wednesday to undergo treatment on his injured right foot, leaving the running game in the largely inexperienced hands of Fitzgerald Toussaint and Jordan Todman.

To win in Cincinnati for the 15th time in 18 tries, Pittsburgh will have to do it on Roethlisberger's right arm, one that has developed a fondness for chucking it deep to Bryant and letting Bryant - lovingly referred to as an ''alien'' by some - be Bryant.

Bryant was a supernova when thrust into the starting lineup in Week 7 as a rookie. He scored eight times in 10 games, including a 94-yard sprint against the Bengals that helped kickstart Pittsburgh's run to the AFC North title. He missed the first five games of this season - four while serving a suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy and another after getting nicked up when he returned to practice - only to make another dazzling entrance. He caught a pair of second-half touchdowns from Landry Jones to ignite a rally against Arizona on Oct. 18 and went over 100 yards in romps over Cleveland and Indianapolis.

All of which made his lethargic play of late all the more frustrating to Roethlisberger, who communicated frequently with Bryant during the receiver's suspension.

Roethlisberger called Bryant after calling him out over the air, a conversation Bryant insisted would remain between he and his quarterback. Not that it matters. Consider the message received.

''What he said was good for me,'' Bryant said. ''I needed that. I'm glad he did it. And like I said, I'll be ready to go come Saturday.''

Not that he has much of a choice.

''Anytime it's coming from (Roethlisberger), you understand he's only saying it because it's in your best interest,'' linebacker Arthur Moats said. ''He understands what kind of player Martavis is and what he's capable of doing. When he says something like that, it's nothing against him personally. It's 'We need you out there so make sure you bring it.'''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-wr-bryant-accepts-challenge-roethlisberger-230320744--nfl.html

fordfixer
01-07-2016, 12:03 AM
I just hope he doesn't over think this and start trying to hard

Eich
01-07-2016, 09:41 AM

I don't think that will happen. But even if it did, I don't think it's any worse than what's happened to him in the past few games. It was time to light a fire and Ben threw the match.

flippy
01-07-2016, 10:36 AM
kind of funny seeing Ben do a Hines Ward on Bryant.

agreed, that was my first thought too. although ben seems to get a pass on calling out a teammate.

whatever happened to the joey porter style of playing the media by calling someone else his huckleberry to take pressure off the young guys and distract the media attention?

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2016, 11:28 AM
agreed, that was my first thought too. although ben seems to get a pass on calling out a teammate.

whatever happened to the joey porter style of playing the media by calling someone else his huckleberry to take pressure off the young guys and distract the media attention?

The earlier games with Cincy were chippy enough with penalties and fines and such, that it probably isn't a good idea for anyone to call out an opponent this week. Let your play on the field do the talking for you.

feltdizz
01-07-2016, 12:16 PM

if Peyton Manning called out a teammate after a few games with multiple INT's this board would be on fire right now...lol.

I'm glad Bryant didn't take it the wrong way.

Oviedo
01-07-2016, 02:02 PM
if Peyton Manning called out a teammate after a few games with multiple INT's this board would be on fire right now...lol.

I'm glad Bryant didn't take it the wrong way.

Or Bryant isn't 12year old who has hurt feelings and pouts. People get criticized work all the time. It isn't a reason to not perform. Geez...act like man and put on big boy pants

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Geez...act like man and put on big boy pants

Or at least the form fitting capri knickerbockers that NFL players wear. ;)

feltdizz
01-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Or Bryant isn't 12year old who has hurt feelings and pouts. People get criticized work all the time. It isn't a reason to not perform. Geez...act like man and put on big boy pants

lmao... cool, just remember that the next time a player gets called out in the media and everyone is in here calling the perp out for running his mouth and not keeping it in the locker room.

People definitely get criticized for work but it's rare for it to happen on the radio and for it to be done by another coworker.

BURGH86STEEL
01-07-2016, 04:50 PM
I don't agree with players calling out teammates in this manner. It's one thing to take this approach in the locker room. It's another thing when taking this approach outside the locker room. Bryant could easily state all of Ben's mistakes or issues. These types of things can divide a locker room.

pittpete
01-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Gimme a fn break...
Bens a 12 year vet and told Bryant he needs to suck it up.
Too bad if he gets embarrassed or not.
All the PC crap especially between millionaires is sickening in todays world.
Act like a bitch, get treated like one.

Oviedo
01-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Gimme a fn break...
Bens a 12 year vet and told Bryant he needs to suck it up.
Too bad if he gets embarrassed or not.
All the PC crap especially between millionaires is sickening in todays world.
Act like a bitch, get treated like one.

Exactly..freakin man up. The most important player on the team, and to you as a WR, felt you needed to get your head on straight. Suck it up, take it to heart and do something about it.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2016, 05:31 PM
I like it in this case

Bryant is the x factor if this teams wants to get to SB50. A focused and determined MB makes this team really dangerous

Oviedo
01-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Seems like Bryant is a "big boy" In the Trib Bryant says he accepts it..good answer!

squidkid
01-07-2016, 06:12 PM
I like it in this case

Bryant is the x factor if this teams wants to get to SB50. A focused and determined MB makes this team really dangerous

yup, bryant is needed.
ben looks to AB way too much. we need someone else to step up and take the pressure off ben and AB add in the fact we wont have a running game either.

Moonie
01-07-2016, 07:22 PM

I don't think Bryant it the type to overthink anything.

fordfixer
01-07-2016, 07:42 PM
I don't think Bryant it the type to overthink anything.

Well played

Ghost
01-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Much ado about nothing. A team leader spoke his mind. A young guy heard it, said all the right things, and appears ready to meet the challenge. Not worried about MB at all and in fact expect big things.

Were going to wreck those orange punk losers. Can't wait!!

NJ-STEELER
01-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Much ado about nothing. A team leader spoke his mind. A young guy heard it, said all the right things, and appears ready to meet the challenge. Not worried about MB at all and in fact expect big things.
wait!!

Agreed. Now Bryant knows he's will be a big part of this team has success.

I think it may also give AB some much needed room because now the bengals D sees what Ben has said about him

NorthCoast
01-08-2016, 08:13 PM

Were going to wreck those orange punk losers. Can't wait!!

Agree. MB is in the spotlight.. needs to man up or the Steelers don't need to worry about signing him long term. There isn't enough cap room for guys that do it 'some of the time'.

feltdizz
01-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Agree. MB is in the spotlight.. needs to man up or the Steelers don't need to worry about signing him long term. There isn't enough cap room for guys that do it 'some of the time'.

If Bryant has a bad game you wouldnt sign him long term? Thats crazy

NorthCoast
01-09-2016, 10:32 AM
If Bryant has a bad game you wouldnt sign him long term? Thats crazy

Not one bad game... he has disappeared now for several weeks. He is young, so give him some bennies, but look for the trend forward.

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2016, 11:30 PM
It worked. Holy freaking crap...it worked. Alien, alien, alien. That is all.

Slapstick
01-10-2016, 02:38 AM

Pacman is Jerry (Joey) Porter's huckleberry...