PDA

View Full Version : I've Always Been a Tomlin Supporter BUT......

SidSmythe
11-29-2015, 09:06 PM
I've always been a Tomlin Supporter BUT. ........
....when he went for the FG on 4th and goal at the 3???

Mr. "Go For Two" doesn't have a play ready for that situation? ?
So you don't make it....the Hawks would have been backed up on the 3. A much better situation for a pitiful defense.

I'm sure he will have fancy catch phrases for us at his press conference and all will be fine.

The fact that Jacoby Jones is on this team is enough for me to question his judgement. Pathetic.

pittpete
11-29-2015, 09:07 PM
Jones runs as if he has a sack of potatoes hung over his shoulders...LOL

squidkid
11-29-2015, 09:07 PM
3 absolutely idiotic decision by tomlin cost the game(fake, not going for it on 4th, then taking last fg)

SteelCrazy
11-29-2015, 09:10 PM
The defense showed no signs of being able to stop the Seahawks and he kicks a 20yd FG. Like u said, even if we don't make it we still have 97yds to have a miracle happen. But in the end it wouldn't have mattered because we let a 7yd slant go 80yds.

TD386Steel
11-29-2015, 09:18 PM
3 absolutely idiotic decision by tomlin cost the game(fake, not going for it on 4th, then taking last fg)

Yeah but we are not going to live in our fears. At least that what Tomlin says.

squidkid
11-29-2015, 09:20 PM

its really a cool saying. i can understand why the tomlin fanboys get tingly when he says it

winwithd
11-29-2015, 09:21 PM

This offense is too good to have to rely on trick plays. They hurt themselves in the first game running a trick play when they were marching right down the field.
Trick plays are for teams that can't move the ball in a normal way.

Djfan
11-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Agreed. He's just not top tier, IMO.

SidSmythe
11-29-2015, 09:25 PM
This offense is too good to have to rely on trick plays. They hurt themselves in the first game running a trick play when they were marching right down the field.

Exactly?
Or teams without Franchise QBs.

KYPITTFAN
11-29-2015, 09:40 PM
No huge fan of Tomlin here but that loss is strictly on the defensive backs. Landry threw a horrible pic. Should have just punted but oh well.
Kicking the field goal to get within 2 pts with 3 min to go and 2 time outs is the correct call. If we would have went for it and failed you would have
been calling for him to be fired. All we needed was one stop and turn the ball over to a hot offence only down by two points.
Worse defensive game all year! Looking at the other key players in the wild card race and there schedule I think we miss the playoffs.

feltdizz
11-29-2015, 09:42 PM

This offense is great at generating yards but we struggle to throw TD's in a passing league.

SidSmythe
11-29-2015, 09:47 PM
No huge fan of Tomlin here but that loss is strictly on the defensive backs. Landry threw a horrible pic. Should have just punted but oh well.
Kicking the field goal to get within 2 pts with 3 min to go and 2 time outs is the correct call. If we would have went for it and failed you would have
been calling for him to be fired. All we needed was one stop and turn the ball over to a hot offence only down by two points.
Worse defensive game all year! Looking at the other key players in the wild card race and there schedule I think we miss the playoffs.

No actually I wouldnt have.
I was calling him an idiot when he took Ben off the field there Capt Homer.

BURGH86STEEL
11-29-2015, 09:51 PM
For some reason, if Tomlin went for the TD instead the FG and the offense didn't score then someone would question that decision. Basically, Tomlin is in a no win situation since the team didn't win.

The Steelers were doomed the moment they started giving the ball away without creating any turnovers of their own.

feltdizz
11-29-2015, 09:54 PM
No actually I wouldnt have.
I was calling him an idiot when he took Ben off the field there Capt Homer.
Didnt matter... even if we scored a TD instead of the FG our D would have given up the lead...

probably would have gave up a TD on the kick return

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Not to mention taking the ball out of Ben and ABs' hands and putting them in Landry and AVs' hands on the fake FG. Completely braindead call that resulted in a 10-pt swing that changed momentum and cost us a win.

He's a terrible football coach. Hoping we lose out, he gets fired, and Munchak - the best coach on the roster - takes over.

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Oh, and flashback to training camp. The more this dope touches, the more things go to crap.

Mike Tomlin has been more actively involved in what the defense will be doing in 2015, and it’s already been evident at training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. Tomlin has spent periods of several days this week working with the cornerbacks and safeties on zone coverages similar to what he employed when he was the secondary coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

It’s the first time since he became head coach in 2007 that Tomlin outwardly has put his imprint on the defense and changed the way the Steelers play in the secondary. He didn’t do it his first eight years out of deference and respect for LeBeau, a Hall of Fame player and one of the greatest assistant coaches in NFL history.

squidkid
11-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Not to mention taking the ball out of Ben and ABs' hands and putting them in Landry and AVs' hands on the fake FG. Completely braindead call that resulted in a 10-pt swing that changed momentum and cost us a win.

He's a terrible football coach. Hoping we lose out, he gets fired, and Munchak - the best coach on the roster - takes over.

munchak isnt qualified

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2015, 10:10 PM
munchak isnt qualified

I disagree. He turned Gilbert from a bum into a Pro Bowler, has Wallace playing competently and is working with a freaking Army Ranger wide receiver converted to left tackle.

He had garbage to work with in Tennessee. He will get another shot somewhere and we'll be stuck with Billy Ray Valentine.

Iron City Inc.
11-29-2015, 10:10 PM
I would have liked us to go for it on 4th and goal. Doesn't mean we would make it but I would have preferred it over the field goal. 500 plus yards of O. Our issues are on D both at OLB and and on the back end. We need to clean that up to consistently win in this league.

Ernie
11-29-2015, 10:17 PM

for the first time in like forever... I don't see a pile of "Tomlin" guys coming to his rescue for a comment like this one.... which, by the way... I agree with your thoughts. My point is, folks might be coming around the idea that Tomlin may not be here long term...with the continued "Middle of the pack" teams that he's been the HC of these past several years.

feltdizz
11-29-2015, 10:19 PM

Tomlin isnt going anywhere bro...

feltdizz
11-29-2015, 10:21 PM
for the first time in like forever... I don't see a pile of "Tomlin" guys coming to his rescue for a comment like this one.... which, by the way... I agree with your thoughts. My point is, folks might be coming around the idea that Tomlin may not be here long term...with the continued "Middle of the pack" teams that he's been the HC of these past several years.

Well its Sunday and we just lost in Seattle. Most fans probably arent on here because its a holiday weekend and most had this game as a loss when the season started.

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Tomlin isnt going anywhere bro...

I know, and that makes me sad. He has absolutely no accountability at all. Unless you think this team can win three road playoff games (I'll wait for you to stop laughing to reply), this will be the fifth straight year we haven't had a serious contending team.

Ben's prime has been wasted. ****ing shame.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2015, 10:27 PM
Hoping we lose out

This is not a surprising revelation from WCS. Congratulations on getting what you wanted today. Enjoy rooting against the Steelers for the rest of the year.

To quote Cyndi Lauper, "I see your true colors shining through..." Nice Trading Places reference when talking about hiring a black coach too, Louis Winthorpe.

Slapstick
11-29-2015, 10:55 PM
This is not a surprising revelation from WCS. Congratulations on getting what you wanted today. Enjoy rooting against the Steelers for the rest of the year.

To quote Cyndi Lauper, "I see your true colors shining through..." Nice Trading Places reference when talking about hiring a black coach too, Louis Winthorpe.

I'm not crazy. Thank goodness someone has the balls to call it like they see it...

bostonsteeler
11-29-2015, 11:08 PM
Not sure where all the Tomlin hate is coming from. He made a few judgment calls that were always going to be questioned.

We had three picks turned into TDs. The Landry Jones trick pick, and two of Ben's picks. Ben's first pick was on him. The second should have been a PI. That's 21 points. Its tough to get back from.
Wilson is an outstanding QB. Our D played very well through nearly two and a half quarters -- the scores they got were from the picks.

It was a bad game, but at least some of it was bad luck, and the rest cascaded.

7upnext
11-29-2015, 11:16 PM

after FA and the draft the Steelers will have one of the most talented teams in the league next year. I think Colbert realizes he has to draft a stud in the secondary to get any production as Tomlin obviously cannot develop any. So expect a safety or cornerback to be the first pick and wouldn't surprise me to see multiple picks either. Any coach should be able to get the Steelers to 12 wins next season and a deep run in the playoffs. So no, don't expect Tomlin to go anywhere because the talent will win out and he'll again be talked up by his fanboys as a top coach even though he really isn't. But I won't care because as long as he just stands on the sidelines and keeps his mouth shut like he did in 08 they can win a SB. Any input..and I mean any..and it'll end up like 2010 or worse.

BowCatShot
11-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Did the Rooneys ever actually interview Ron Rivera? I can't remember whether they did but I do know that he was a candidate way back then. Instead they, in their wisdom, selected that ding dong Tomlin who we're stuck with now.

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2015, 11:32 PM

I wanted them to win today. I wanted them to beat a good team on the road, show improvement coming off the bye week, show that they have learned something.

Instead, I got another Tomlin slopfest.

It will never end until he is gone. He's flown this team into the ground.

8-8 with this talent should result in firing. Instead, he'll probably get a five year extension.

WindyCitySteel
11-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Not sure where all the Tomlin hate is coming from. He made a few judgment calls that were always going to be questioned.

We had three picks turned into TDs. The Landry Jones trick pick, and two of Ben's picks. Ben's first pick was on him. The second should have been a PI. That's 21 points. Its tough to get back from.

Those weren't pick sixes. In every instance, Tomlin's defense had a chance to stop the Seahawks.

The secondary he took under his wing in the preseason, the one he refuses to insert Boykin in or remove Blake from, the one that is the worst in the NFL, was torched for a touchdown every single time.

This is the team he built and that he coaches.

NJ-STEELER
11-30-2015, 12:05 AM
It was the right call.

If if the defense stops a 3rd and long, we have the ball and only need to get in FG position for the win.

Agreed on the fake FG though. Either take the points (always need points) with ur kicker who has only 1 miss on the year.
Or go for it with the reg offense on the field

Shoe
11-30-2015, 12:17 AM
I've always been a Tomlin Supporter BUT. ........
....when he went for the FG on 4th and goal at the 3???

Mr. "Go For Two" doesn't have a play ready for that situation? ?
So you don't make it....the Hawks would have been backed up on the 3. A much better situation for a pitiful defense.

I'm sure he will have fancy catch phrases for us at his press conference and all will be fine.

The fact that Jacoby Jones is on this team is enough for me to question his judgement. Pathetic.

I was coming on here to basically say the same thing. The decision to not go for it down deep there... I just did not get it.

Actually, your whole post is spot-on. Tomlin will most certainly coin some sort of expression... and Jacoby Jones has as much to offer this team as I do at this point. Nothing.

Ernie
11-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Well its Sunday and we just lost in Seattle. Most fans probably arent on here because its a holiday weekend and most had this game as a loss when the season started.

I don't know man. I've seen a heck of a lot of activity on here this evening... since the game was over..

and this game has nothing to do my comments about Tomlin's middle of the road teams since we played the Packers in the SB

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Denver just beat NE with a backup QB, while the Denver kicker misses two FG. Denver 2-0, Indy 4-0 with backup QBs.

Excuses rolled out for Tomlin apparently aren't universally needed.

Kubiak benched a HOF QB that was hurting his team, Tomlin won't bench Antwon Blake. Lake says Boykin can't see the field because all the other corners are playing so well.

No other team has to get out of the way of its coaches like the Steelers do.

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Did the Rooneys ever actually interview Ron Rivera? I can't remember whether they did but I do know that he was a candidate way back then. Instead they, in their wisdom, selected that ding dong Tomlin who we're stuck with now.

LOL.. Rivera was on the hot seat but he has turned things around in Carolina.

One thing you have to remember is Carolina was 2-14 when they drafted Cam and they went 6-10 when they drafted Kuechly.

Solid team right now but they lost a lot whule rebuilding.

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Denver just beat NE with a backup QB, while the Denver kicker misses two FG. Denver 2-0, Indy 4-0 with backup QBs.

Excuses rolled out for Tomlin apparently aren't universally needed.

Kubiak benched a HOF QB that was hurting his team, Tomlin won't bench Antwon Blake. Lake says Boykin can't see the field because all the other corners are playing so well.

No other team has to get out of the way of its coaches like the Steelers do.

We won with backups and people complained..

Denver also has a great defense. When we had a great defense people complained about how the coaches were holding Ben back....

Slapstick
11-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Apparently, the Pats** can't get out of their own way, then...

But, we're on here complaining about Tomlin after a game where our QBs threw 4 INTs...

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2015, 08:46 AM

But, we're on here complaining about Tomlin after a game where our QBs threw 4 INTs...

And our coach runs a fake FG play after a timeout with the defense calling it out, and an offensive linemen as the target. A coach who smugly says at halftime that he doesn't live in his fears, and proceeds to do that twice inside the five. A coach who won't bench Antwon Blake and thinks the secondary, the secondary HE COACHED IN CAMP, is playing good football.

This team underachieves every single year under this dunce.

But we get it - he only gets credit for the wins with Slapnutz. The losses are all on the players.

White Guilt is a bitch.

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2015, 08:49 AM
We won with backups and people complained..

Denver also has a great defense. When we had a great defense people complained about how the coaches were holding Ben back....

This is the defense Tomlin drafted and coached in camp this year. This team is his team. His players, his schemes.

He is 6-5. He owns it.

Ghost
11-30-2015, 09:02 AM
I don't mind the FG on 4th to make it a 2 point game. The defense simply has to step up. They had them. 3rd and 10 and with a stop they get the ball back with the 2 minute warning, timeouts, and only need a FG to win the game with a very good kicker. Tomlin put the team in a position to win but the players on D didn't execute. Have to make 1 play there, and not that hard of a play either on 3rd and long.

I hope it's not true but I think it's a real possibility to lose the next three games. Hasselbeck is 4-0 (with 7 TDs and 2 ints) since coming in for Luck, Osweiler will certainly not be intimidated and will have 2 more starts under his belt, and Dalton has already beaten them and that is an away game.

Oviedo
11-30-2015, 09:24 AM
I don't mind the FG on 4th to make it a 2 point game. The defense simply has to step up. They had them. 3rd and 10 and with a stop they get the ball back with the 2 minute warning, timeouts, and only need a FG to win the game with a very good kicker. Tomlin put the team in a position to win but the players on D didn't execute. Have to make 1 play there, and not that hard of a play either on 3rd and long.

Excactly. The secondary is just weak and no amount of coaching them up can make up for the lack of quality players. IMO Butler has done a great job changing the way the front 7 plays to cover and being more aggressive for the secondary but it will be a delicate balance until we get some better CBs.

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2015, 09:30 AM
I don't mind the FG on 4th to make it a 2 point game. The defense simply has to step up. They had them.

Expecting that defense to step up after what you had seen all day and all year?

Sheer and utter stupidity.

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 09:34 AM

Pats finally lost... not sure what that has to do with us losing 5 games

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 09:35 AM
This is the defense Tomlin drafted and coached in camp this year. This team is his team. His players, his schemes.

He is 6-5. He owns it.

if course he owns it...lol.

every win and every loss goes on his resume.

Slapstick
11-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Pats finally lost... not sure what that has to do with us losing 5 games

We lost to Russell Wilson. His hero lost to Brock Osweiler. Clearly, and inferior coaching job...

Sword
11-30-2015, 09:53 AM

Agreed!!!!

BradshawsHairdresser
11-30-2015, 10:16 AM

I can't pin all the blame for the loss on the HC in a game where his players gave up 4 turnovers...but Tomlin certainly didn't do enough to help his team win. Too many times, he seems to be "following his gut" -- and coming up with the wrong decisions. Earlier in the thread, Dizz said "Tomlin isn't going anywhere." That's true, and unfortunately, it's looking as though his team isn't, either.

RobinCole
11-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Says Uncle Scam, who just implied that Ben whimped out by reporting his own concussion symptoms. If he did.

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Braindead.

The break in the quarter gave the Seahawks enough time to see Jones on the field.
"They checked to a defensive play," guard Ramon Foster said. "If the ball was a little bit higher, we score on that. They checked personnel, they saw there was another guy in. They're smart guys and that's how they played us."
Said Seattle coach Pete Carroll, "We were prepared and anticipated that they would do something in the kicking game. It was played just perfectly. It was a great play by Jeremy."

RobinCole
11-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Geez, was just going to reply to Uncle Scam, but all of his posts disappeared.

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Geez, was just going to reply to Uncle Scam, but all of his posts disappeared.

Slappy's afraid of him, so he bans and deletes all of his posts.

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Braindead.

The break in the quarter gave the Seahawks enough time to see Jones on the field.
"They checked to a defensive play," guard Ramon Foster said. "If the ball was a little bit higher, we score on that. They checked personnel, they saw there was another guy in. They're smart guys and that's how they played us."
Said Seattle coach Pete Carroll, "We were prepared and anticipated that they would do something in the kicking game. It was played just perfectly. It was a great play by Jeremy."

it was a stupid play... and it would have actually worked if Landry actually looked before throwing it and threw it deeper.

RobinCole
11-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Slappy's "afraid of him"? Afraid of what? Is Uncle going to beat him up? HA HA. I think Uncle is a guy that's been banned before and tried the old "new screen name" ploy.

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Slap doesn't erase Crash's post...

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2015, 11:29 AM
I wanted them to win today. I wanted them to beat a good team on the road, show improvement coming off the bye week, show that they have learned something.

"Hoping we lose out" - WindyCitySteel

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 11:31 AM
"Hoping we lose out" - WindyCitySteel

lmao... how quickly one forgets.

RobinCole
11-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Windy must have a concussion.

Ghost
11-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Windy must have a concussion.

China doll?

papillon
11-30-2015, 11:50 AM
China doll?

Now that's some funny stuff right there, thank you.

Pappy

bostonsteeler
11-30-2015, 12:03 PM
I can't pin all the blame for the loss on the HC in a game where his players gave up 4 turnovers...but Tomlin certainly didn't do enough to help his team win. Too many times, he seems to be "following his gut" -- and coming up with the wrong decisions. Earlier in the thread, Dizz said "Tomlin isn't going anywhere." That's true, and unfortunately, it's looking as though his team isn't, either.

A coach has to trust his players. The int by LJ was one where his expectation that LJ would throw it right was reasonable.
Both of Ben's ints were not on Tomlin. Both became TDs for Seattle as well.

The D held up for 2 and a half quarters.

It was some bad work by Tomlin, but a lot of it actually went on bad luck and bad execution. LJ's int was bad execution. Both of Ben's ints were bad luck -- in the first he changed his mind about his throw too lat4e, the second should have been a PI.

Tomlinator
11-30-2015, 12:03 PM
I know I’m in the minority here, but I didn’t mind thefake field goal. And I was ok with notgoing for it and taking 3 at the end. Butno need to be fancy – leave Ben out there and let him work.

But you can’t come back from gifting a short field withthose 3 interceptions. *cough*passinterference*cough* That killed us on a day we seemed to move upand down the field.

The D has been playing beyond expectations for the mostpart but yesterday reverted to what we feared they would be this year.

Oviedo
11-30-2015, 12:08 PM
I know I’m in the minority here, but I didn’t mind thefake field goal. And I was ok with notgoing for it and taking 3 at the end. Butno need to be fancy – leave Ben out there and let him work.

But you can’t come back from gifting a short field withthose 3 interceptions. *cough*passinterference*cough* That killed us on a day we seemed to move upand down the field.

The D has been playing beyond expectations for the mostpart but yesterday reverted to what we feared they would be this year.

I agree and I think the "silent majority" would agree also

Oviedo
11-30-2015, 12:09 PM
China doll?

"Injury prone"

"head trauma"

papillon
11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
I didn't have a problem with the fake, but, as always I would rather have our #1 unit on the field to go for it. As much as I would rather have Ben and company on the field to go for it, LJ has to understand that overthrowing the ball is better than under-throwing the ball, its either a TD or incom0plete if its over thrown, under-thrown is an INT.

Every team does this and I don't know why, they use the punter as the holder. I have never in all the years I have been watching football witnessed the holder getting kicked or injured and if it did happen it is so rare that using the punter in my estimation is dumb. You have a backup quarterback, he should be the damn holder, then if you decide to fake the FG he's already on the field and the defense can't determine what is happening simply by checking personnel.

Pappy

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 12:23 PM
I didn't like the fake because it was obvious... why shift and show your hand?

snarky
11-30-2015, 12:41 PM
I didn't like the fake because it was obvious... why shift and show your hand? This.

In general I don't like fake FG in the first half. My view is that a team should generally just go about its business in the first half and collect whatever points it can. Later in the game its worth trying fakes and so forth depending on the game situation. The call really changed the trajectory of the game .

That said, if the Steelers saw a weakness on the Seahawks standard FG set, then fine try to exploit it. But once they reset it gave Carroll the opportunity to call a timeout if he saw a match-up he didn't like or wasn't ready for. We were out there with 9 special teams guys, our back-up QB and our kicker. If Tomlin wanted to go for it from a set other than standard FG formation with the holder pulling out and passing, he might as well have brought the first string offense in for fourth down.

Can't say I fault his calls down close to the goal line. Though it's a bit hard for me to understand why we go for two but don't go for the TD when we are just as close or closer.

papillon
11-30-2015, 12:45 PM
I didn't like the fake because it was obvious... why shift and show your hand?

That's part of my previous post, IMO, there's no reason for your backup quarterback not to be the holder (You know, don't live in your fears). If you're willing at times to risk AB as a punt returner, then you should be willing to risk your backup QB to do the holding for extra points and FGs, if for no other reason, when there's a bad snap you at least get a snow ball's chance in hell to make a play with a quarterback, I doubt Berry even knows how to hold the damn ball to throw a pass. Using the backup QB allows you to disguise your fake attempt from your actual attempt much better, you don't need a shift, you simply let Jones take the snap and become a quarterback.

Pappy

WindyCitySteel
11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
FYI, USC reached out to Chip Kelly and Jack Del Rio before settling on their new coach.

Wonder why they didn't contact a "top five NFL coach"?

feltdizz
11-30-2015, 12:51 PM
FYI, USC reached out to Chip Kelly and Jack Del Rio before settling on their new coach.

Wonder why they didn't contact a "top five NFL coach"?

Chip Kelly sucks (in th eNFL)... lol. WTF, are you still hung over?

They contacted coaches who are on the chopping block.

I wonder why they didn't contact Bruce Arians, Billicheat and Ron Rivera either...

Ghost
11-30-2015, 01:47 PM
They reached out to Chip Kelly because he was a wildly successful college coach. Some guys are just better in the NCAA than NFL (Saban, Spurrier). Probably feeling Kelly out to see if he was unhappy in the NFL. As for Del Rio - he played football for the Trojans. Reaching out to an alumni of the program doesn't prove anything. Just silly logic.

Slapstick
11-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Slap doesn't erase Crash's post...

Correct. That is a gross overestimation of my power and importance here.

Chucktownsteeler
11-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Braindead.

"They're smart guys"...... That sums it up.

SidSmythe
11-30-2015, 06:05 PM
I've had my 24 hr cool down.

I'm still annoyed with our coaching yesterday and it's better if I leave off my TV for a few days

#HereWeGo

Chucktownsteeler
11-30-2015, 06:05 PM
That's part of my previous post, IMO, there's no reason for your backup quarterback not to be the holder (You know, don't live in your fears). If you're willing at times to risk AB as a punt returner, then you should be willing to risk your backup QB to do the holding for extra points and FGs, if for no other reason, when there's a bad snap you at least get a snow ball's chance in hell to make a play with a quarterback, I doubt Berry even knows how to hold the damn ball to throw a pass. Using the backup QB allows you to disguise your fake attempt from your actual attempt much better, you don't need a shift, you simply let Jones take the snap and become a quarterback.

Pappy

It wasn't even a true fake, doesn't matter who you had back there.

Djfan
12-01-2015, 07:49 PM
For some reason, if Tomlin went for the TD instead the FG and the offense didn't score then someone would question that decision. Basically, Tomlin is in a no win situation since the team didn't win.

No. If we didn't make the TD, we would have them pinned in deep in their territory. It's not a bad situation.

BURGH86STEEL
12-01-2015, 09:26 PM
No. If we didn't make the TD, we would have them pinned in deep in their territory. It's not a bad situation.

It's not simply no. some people believe that taking the 3 points at that stage of the game was the right decision. Plenty of coaches would had taken the 3 points. If you follow the turnovers the Steelers were going to lose that game regardless if they scored a TD in that situation. Seattle had plenty of time to go down the field and score again.

If people follow the turnovers they can probably predict the outcome of 80% of the games. Questionable coaching decisions, missed tackle, dropped passes, and the like happen in just about every game. The key factor that teams can rarely overcome are turnovers. The football gods generally punish teams that lose the turnover battle.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-02-2015, 10:12 AM
It's not simply no. some people believe that taking the 3 points at that stage of the game was the right decision. Plenty of coaches would had taken the 3 points. If you follow the turnovers the Steelers were going to lose that game regardless if they scored a TD in that situation. Seattle had plenty of time to go down the field and score again.

If people follow the turnovers they can probably predict the outcome of 80% of the games. Questionable coaching decisions, missed tackle, dropped passes, and the like happen in just about every game. The key factor that teams can rarely overcome are turnovers. The football gods generally punish teams that lose the turnover battle.

Football is a game of momentum. Steelers had momentum but they gave it away with that not-so-tricky trick play. If they'd maintained the lead at that point, they may not have "lost the turnover battle" the rest of the game.

I'm not saying you can pin the entire blame for the loss on that one play...but there's no doubt it was a huge factor when it came to momentum--which may have altered the flow and the course of the rest of the game.

feltdizz
12-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Football is a game of momentum. Steelers had momentum but they gave it away with that not-so-tricky trick play. If they'd maintained the lead at that point, they may not have "lost the turnover battle" the rest of the game.

I'm not saying you can pin the entire blame for the loss on that one play...but there's no doubt it was a huge factor when it came to momentum--which may have altered the flow and the course of the rest of the game.

hmm.. I think when you throw 55 times you will more than likely have an INT or 2

Slapstick
12-02-2015, 10:45 AM
hmm.. I think when you throw 55 times you will more than likely have an INT or 2

I agree. What killed the Steelers is that they had four...and allowed some big INT returns...

BURGH86STEEL
12-02-2015, 10:02 PM

The thing about momentum is it can change. Teams usually don't or can't ride momentum. I doubt the Steelers could had rode the momentum of 3 points for the rest of the game.

Football is a game of execution. The trick play wasn't the problem. The execution of the trick play was the problem. Jones should had thrown the ball away. Ben's poor decision making contributed to 2 INT's. Nothing changes momentum and a team's fortunes like turnovers. The very same thing happened in the Bengals game. I believed the Steelers were going to win that game until Ben made a couple of poor decisions.

feltdizz
12-03-2015, 08:54 AM
The thing about momentum is it can change. Teams usually don't or can't ride momentum. I doubt the Steelers could had rode the momentum of 3 points for the rest of the game.

Football is a game of execution. The trick play wasn't the problem. The execution of the trick play was the problem. Jones should had thrown the ball away. Ben's poor decision making contributed to 2 INT's. Nothing changes momentum and a team's fortunes like turnovers. The very same thing happened in the Bengals game. I believed the Steelers were going to win that game until Ben made a couple of poor decisions.

no, the trick play was a horrible call. It was the end of a quarter, Seattle saw our personel, we shifted out of a FG formation.

It was a stupid call. It's like our coaches are trying to force trick plays to work so they can high five each other.

Keep the franchise QB and the WR's on the field and get 2 yards.

papillon
12-03-2015, 09:45 AM
no, the trick play was a horrible call. It was the end of a quarter, Seattle saw our personel, we shifted out of a FG formation.

It was a stupid call. It's like our coaches are trying to force trick plays to work so they can high five each other.

Keep the franchise QB and the WR's on the field and get 2 yards.

I agree that the play call was bad; however, once the decision was made to run the play the execution was just as bad and in this case two negatives didn't make a positive.

Pappy

Notleadpoisoned
12-03-2015, 09:57 AM
I agree that the play call was bad; however, once the decision was made to run the play the execution was just as bad and in this case two negatives didn't make a positive.
Pappy

Rolling to your right then throwing left across your body is something QB's are taught not to do in Pop Warner. The odds of your pass being picked off always goes up significantly when a QB makes that mistake.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000590592/Steelers-Landry-Jones-pass-intercepted-by-Seahawks-Jeremy-Lane

feltdizz
12-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Pappy

its much harder to execute when the defense is ready for your fake FG.

This is why QB's audible or call timeout when it looks like the D knows what the play call is going to be before the snap.

Pretty sure if Landry out more air on it the DB would still break up the pass.

Horrible timing and anytime you shift from FG formation you might as well call timeout and let the starters try and get a first down.

papillon
12-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Rolling to your right then throwing left across your body is something QB's are taught not to do in Pop Warner. The odds of your pass being picked off always goes up significantly when a QB makes that mistake.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000590592/Steelers-Landry-Jones-pass-intercepted-by-Seahawks-Jeremy-Lane

True enough on the throwback, but I also believe that part of the design of the play is to draw attention away from AV coming across the formation and running a pattern by rolling Jones to his right. A professional quarterback should be able to make that throw without under throwing the ball. The ball probably had to travel 30-35 yards and was at least 5 yards short. Like I said, I didn't like the call, but the execution was just as bad.

Pappy