PDA

View Full Version : Observations

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2015, 12:01 AM
1. A glaring need last season was to improve the secondary. Glaring need is still to improve the secondary. The Steelers must think that's not a priority, or that they're good enough elsewhere that they can get by with a mediocre backfield. They're wrong.

2. A glaring need last season was to improve the red zone offense. Glaring need is still to improve the red zone offense. Haley may not be up to the task. Of course, it probably would have helped if bonghead Martavis hadn't gotten his ar$e suspended.

3. A glaring need last season was to improve clock management. Glaring need is still to improve clock management. I still say Tomlin needs to hire a special assistant for this.

4. Front 7 was supposed to be improved, but they looked mostly weak and ineffective. Against an interior line made up of 3 rookies, one of whom was an undrafted FA. Not a good sign.

5. I miss Suishi. Never thought I'd hear myself say that.

6. How can you leave the opponent's best weapon, Gronk, open as much as he was left open tonight?

7. Undisciplined and unprepared. Once again, it looks as though this team waits until the regular season to start getting ready to play football.

8. Even with all of the negatives, if Scobee makes his 2 field goals, Haywire-Boy keeps his feet inbounds, and we can punch it in on first and goal, we win this one. Imagine that!

9. DeAngelo Williams has got some tread left on the tires.

10. Shazier is going to be a star.

pittpete
09-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Im not ready to scream the sky is falling yet...
Sometimes Haleys playcalling is brilliant, sometimes its mindboggling.
If the defense can at least lineup correctly we may have a chance.
Being unprepared is a staple of a Tomlin team and i don't think that will ever change.
His lack of clock management is also another glaring deficiency.
Brady has slaughtered our defenses in the past even loaded with veterans.
Lets see what the season brings, The Standard is the Standard and I bet Tomlin will unleash hell:o

7upnext
09-11-2015, 12:43 AM
"Even with all of the negatives, if Scobee makes his 2 field goals, Haywire-Boy keeps his feet inbounds, and we can punch it in on first and goal, we win this one. Imagine that!"

you can't look at it that way. If all that happens maybe the Patriots keep their foot on the floor and score 45 instead. They took several drives off. It wasn't like we stopped them legit except for that one Allen sack. Not to mention they drove and scored with 2 seconds left against a team willing to let them so it really wasn't that close.

7upnext
09-11-2015, 12:44 AM
Im not ready to scream the sky is falling yet...
Sometimes Haleys playcalling is brilliant, sometimes its mindboggling.
If the defense can at least lineup correctly we may have a chance.
Being unprepared is a staple of a Tomlin team and i don't think that will ever change.
His lack of clock management is also another glaring deficiency.
Brady has slaughtered our defenses in the past even loaded with veterans.
Lets see what the season brings, The Standard is the Standard and I bet Tomlin will unleash hell:o

lmao watch out. He's got a lot of defenders on here because he gives great one liners and looks cool

WindyCitySteel
09-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Great post. I will add that sacks and turnovers were a priority, and they are close to neither.

Tomlin and Colbert's recent extensions will be their last if the D doesn't improve. This is the D they have built, save for Deebo, all of Cowher's guys are gone. If it flops, they're gone.

The red zone and clock mgmt will keep this team at 70% offensive efficiency. It's frustrating and fixable, but not with our coaches. They're just not very good.

RobinCole
09-11-2015, 08:40 AM
1. Tomlin is taking the hot heat and being unfavorably compared to Cowher. Ah, how memories fade. When Cowher was coaching Cowher's players, we played NE in two AFCC games AT HOME and the team looked every bit as poorly coached and sloppy as it did last night.

2. It wasn't LeBeau, it's the players.

3. Nobody in the league can stop a healthy Gronkowski, covered or uncovered. Yes, it might help if he's covered but he will make the catch and break the tackle anyway.

WindyCitySteel
09-11-2015, 08:47 AM
3. Nobody in the league can stop a healthy Gronkowski, covered or uncovered. Yes, it might help if he's covered but he will make the catch and break the tackle anyway.

They drafted Shazier to cover guys like this, right? Isn't that the point of having fast, athletic linebackers?

WindyCitySteel
09-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Re: the front 7, they'll never have a chance if the DBs play off the ball and give easy, free releases. In that regard, Butler looks a whole lot like LeBeau.

RobinCole
09-11-2015, 08:56 AM
If Shazier was drafted to cover guys like Gronkowski, they better think again. Shazier gives away a lot of height and weight in that matchup. I repeat, no team can stop a healthy Gronkowski. You have to prevent Brady from getting the ball to him. The only thing that stops Gronk is a broken forearm or a busted-up ankle.

feltdizz
09-11-2015, 09:05 AM
1. Tomlin is taking the hot heat and being unfavorably compared to Cowher. Ah, how memories fade. When Cowher was coaching Cowher's players, we played NE in two AFCC games AT HOME and the team looked every bit as poorly coached and sloppy as it did last night.

2. It wasn't LeBeau, it's the players.

I would like to see how well Gronk plays if we covered him or knew where he was before the ball was snapped.

WindyCitySteel
09-11-2015, 09:09 AM
If Shazier was drafted to cover guys like Gronkowski, they better think again. Shazier gives away a lot of height and weight in that matchup. I repeat, no team can stop a healthy Gronkowski. You have to prevent Brady from getting the ball to him. The only thing that stops Gronk is a broken forearm or a busted-up ankle.

Or, you know, covering him and jamming him at the LOS. You don't want Shazier on him but an even smaller DB? Who probably isn't as fast as Shazier?

RobinCole
09-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Again, how does the rest of the league fare against Gronk? Answer: Not very well. Why? Because he's a huge strong freak. You think other teams don't try to jam him? Yes, they do but it doesn't work very well. I'm sure the rest of the league would welcome suggestions from anyone. Maybe triple coverage?

papillon
09-11-2015, 09:20 AM
"Even with all of the negatives, if Scobee makes his 2 field goals, Haywire-Boy keeps his feet inbounds, and we can punch it in on first and goal, we win this one. Imagine that!"

you can't look at it that way. If all that happens maybe the Patriots keep their foot on the floor and score 45 instead. They took several drives off. It wasn't like we stopped them legit except for that one Allen sack. Not to mention they drove and scored with 2 seconds left against a team willing to let them so it really wasn't that close.

Negative, the defense also stopped them with a three and out when Timmons batted down the 3rd down pass with the game still in the balance. Ben inexplicably throws into double coverage to an already well covered DHB and the ball is intercepted. The safety on that play was making a bee line to that side of the field, I'm not sure how Ben didn't see that, but he didn't.

The game was in balance well into the 4th quarter with all the mistakes that have been identified in every thread. I actually think the defense is going to get better as the year wears on. Mental mistakes are correctable, even Harrison made a few mental mistakes losing contain and getting sucked inside and having the play get outside. I expected the defense to struggle with a lot of things and they did, but few of them were physical.

The offense was more disappointing because there really was no reason for the mental mistakes that were being made by them. Many of them by the coaching staff as has been documented in every thread since the end of the game.

The Patriots never took their foot off the gas that's not who they are. Do you remember the 17-1 season when they were routinely running up the score and Brady still playing games that were easily in hand in the 4th quarter? If Tom Brady could have hung 50 on the Steelers last night he would have and there is absolutely no doubt about that.

Pappy

feltdizz
09-11-2015, 09:31 AM
only reason the pats didn't hang 40 on us is because we ran up and down the field on offense between the 20s.

papillon
09-11-2015, 09:34 AM
only reason the pats didn't hang 40 on us is because we ran up and down the field on offense between the 20s.

That is going to be our best defense this year and it was working, the problem was the mental mistakes in the red zone, from, both, the coaching staff and the players. Leaning on the defense isn't going to be a plan that will work well this year. The offense is going to have to carry the load as they were doing last night, but unable to finish it off with TDs and/or made FGs is a problem.

Burning clock is going to be a necessity as is finishing drives.

Pappy

WindyCitySteel
09-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Again, how does the rest of the league fare against Gronk? Answer: Not very well. Why? Because he's a huge strong freak. You think other teams don't try to jam him? Yes, they do but it doesn't work very well. I'm sure the rest of the league would welcome suggestions from anyone. Maybe triple coverage?

No, but he won't end the season with 48 TDs, which he is now on pace to score. We left him uncovered once, and put a special teams LB on him another time. Two easy TDs.

WindyCitySteel
09-11-2015, 10:04 AM

3 rookies on the OL, missing best RB and WR, 8 possessions, 4 TDs. That's nothing to be proud of on D.

Captain Lemming
09-11-2015, 10:14 AM
I would like to see how well Gronk plays if we covered him or knew where he was before the ball was snapped.

Easy touchdown number 3 on Garvin, dude just got beat.

feltdizz
09-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Easy touchdown number 3 on Garvin, dude just got beat.

I can live with a guy getting beat by Gronk like Garvin did... it's Damn near impossible to stop that play.

papillon
09-11-2015, 10:36 AM
I can live with a guy getting beat by Gronk like Garvin did... it's Damn near impossible to stop that play.

My question is why isn't Shazier on the field if Gronk is on the field. doesn't he provide the Steelers their best chance to defend him? I like Terrence Garvin and all, but I think Gronk is a mismatch match for a ST linebacker.

Pappy

feltdizz
09-11-2015, 10:42 AM
My question is why isn't Shazier on the field if Gronk is on the field. doesn't he provide the Steelers their best chance to defend him? I like Terrence Garvin and all, but I think Gronk is a mismatch match for a ST linebacker.

Pappy

the packages on O and D on the GL are head scratchers IMO.

Steelerphile
09-11-2015, 11:06 AM
3 rookies on the OL, missing best RB and WR, 8 possessions, 4 TDs. That's nothing to be proud of on D.

Who's their best RB? It just might be Dion Lewis. Blount is not necessarily their best. Gronkowski is their best receiver and Edelman and Amendola have been stalwarts. Very few actually expected Pittsburgh to win this game. Many like yourself and others expected NE to drop 50+ points on them and double their offensive output. So, I think this was a respectable effort. Holding Brady to 28 points is acceptable. The Steelers just squandered too many scoring opportunities. I didn't see any outcoaching going on. I hated the gadget play in the opening drive, though. Brady to Gronkowski or to other receivers is impossible to shut down completely. Brady release is too quick and he finds the open receiver like few other QBs can.

The Steelers stayed in contact. They outgained the Patriots 464 to 361. The Steelers ave net gain was 7.0 to 6.2. The Steelers ave rush was 5.4 to Patriots 3.3. I thought this opener was better than some of the others in the recent past. If they shore some things up and win the next game. I'll be satisfied.

birtikidis
09-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Who's their best RB? It just might be Dion Lewis. Blount is not necessarily their best. Gronkowski is their best receiver and Edelman and Amendola have been stalwarts. Very few actually expected Pittsburgh to win this game. Many like yourself and others expected NE to drop 50+ points on them and double their offensive output. So, I think this was a respectable effort. Holding Brady to 28 points is acceptable. The Steelers just squandered too many scoring opportunities. I didn't see any outcoaching going on. I hated the gadget play in the opening drive, though. Brady to Gronkowski or to other receivers is impossible to shut down completely. Brady release is too quick and he finds the open receiver like few other QBs can.

The Steelers stayed in contact. They outgained the Patriots 464 to 361. The Steelers ave net gain was 7.0 to 6.2. The Steelers ave rush was 5.4 to Patriots 3.3. I thought this opener was better than some of the others in the recent past. If they shore some things up and win the next game. I'll be satisfied.
I think the big issues isn't statistically, it's situational. We play bad situational football. both offensively AND defensively. Our offense could have set the tone and just shoved the ball down the ** throat but they decided to throw a gimmick in and stall the drive. THEN they decide to throw their offense out the window on the goal line-that was the game changer.

feltdizz
09-11-2015, 11:21 AM

good points... but I definitely saw some outcoaching going on...

maybe it was moreso mental errors but I think those are part of coaching. Clock management, play calling at the GL, D miscommunication.

birtikidis
09-11-2015, 11:22 AM

maybe it was moreso mental errors but I think those are part of coaching. Clock management, play calling at the GL, D miscommunication.
The d miscommunication is what blows my mind. Just so much confusion.

Steelhere10
09-11-2015, 11:34 AM
It was one play that I seen the Steelers was out coach, and that is when they had the gl defense in and the Pat's split the two te wide. The other stuff was communication. Calm down Felt I never seen you lose your cool like this lol. Maybe it's the hate that you have for the Pat's. I think once Boykin see the field we are going to be a force.

feltdizz
09-11-2015, 12:00 PM
It was one play that I seen the Steelers was out coach, and that is when they had the gl defense in and the Pat's split the two te wide. The other stuff was communication. Calm down Felt I never seen you lose your cool like this lol. Maybe it's the hate that you have for the Pat's. I think once Boykin see the field we are going to be a force.

I hate seeing our team look lost against the Pats. They said they planned all year to face Brady and one the first defensive series the DB's are confused.

It shouldn't be this hard to line up and play defense

Steelerphile
09-11-2015, 12:01 PM

If you expected them to shut down Brady and Co. and give up 17 points or less then I see your point. If they had gotten bombed for 45 points or more then I would agree that the miscommunication was a serious issue. But holding the Patriots offense under 400 yards with Gronkowski and giving up 28 is not so horrible. The way the D looked in preseason, they did not represent themselves too badly from my point of view. Did clock management really impact the game? They had the TD in the endzone at the first half but Heyward-Bey lacked awareness of where his body was in the endzone. They actually did score the TD at the end of the game even if they could have saved a little time with a time out.

Goal line has been an issue. Lacking Leveon Bell could be a factor because I do not trust Will Johnson to be able to find a path. But it is not as simple as play calling.

K Train
09-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Few things:

1. Lining up Garvin on Gronk...LOL
2. Deangelo looked great
3. Heyward Bey was unfortunate having stepped out of bound, but at least he caught it...along with a deep ball and a big 3rd down.
4. Lining up Garvin on Gronk...LOL
5. Edleman has really turned into a hell of a player
6. I dont hate the reverse pass with brown call, it was set up nicely but it was a killer taking the "sack" i guess
7. Lining up Garvin on Gronk...LOL
8. A lot of turning points in the game, but i think the steelers would have won or forced OT had they recovered lewis's fumble...MAN i saw that **** in what seemed like slow motion
9. I think butler called a real **** game, but coaches have to grow into their positions just like players do
10. Martavius Bryant really hurt this team
11. Scobee is ******* DEAD to me
12. Dupree is so fast
13. Miller is still just so reliable

feltdizz
09-11-2015, 12:13 PM
If you expected them to shut down Brady and Co. and give up 17 points or less then I see your point. If they had gotten bombed for 45 points or more then I would agree that the miscommunication was a seriour issue. But holding the Patriots offense under 400 yards with Gronkowski and giving up 28 is not so horrible. The way the D looked in preseason, they did not represent themselves too badly from my point of view. Did clock management really impact the game? They had the TD in the endzone at the first half but Heyward-Bey lacked awareness of where his body was in the endzone. They actually did score the TD at the end of the game even if they could have saved a little time with a time out.

Goal line has been an issue. Lacking Leveon Bell could be a factor because I do not trust Will Johnson to be able to find a path. But it is not as simple as play calling.

I expected our D to know where Gronk was at all times and to line up correctly. I honestly didn't expect NE to only score 28 points but my beef is seeing that our DB's lost.. if they had a clue we probably put up a better effort on D.

When I speak of clock management it's more than one play before the 2 minute warning. One more play could be the play that scores a TD.

But regardless.. the clock management is a prime example of ignoring the small things that tend to add up to mistakes that lose a game.

papillon
09-11-2015, 12:16 PM
I hate seeing our team look lost against the Pats. They said they planned all year to face Brady and one the first defensive series the DB's are confused.

It shouldn't be this hard to line up and play defense

...in a dumbed down defense (according to every thing that's been written or said).

Pappy

feltdizz
09-11-2015, 12:22 PM
...in a dumbed down defense (according to every thing that's been written or said).

Pappy

I guess it was too simple....lol.

ikestops85
09-11-2015, 01:21 PM
I have to agree with Collinsworth that when we were in the hurry up the it seemed the receivers always had to run to the other side of the field to line up. What's up with that? Not only does that eat up time but it wears the receivers down.

squidkid
09-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Great post. I will add that sacks and turnovers were a priority, and they are close to neither.

Tomlin and Colbert's recent extensions will be their last if the D doesn't improve. This is the D they have built, save for Deebo, all of Cowher's guys are gone. If it flops, they're gone.

The red zone and clock mgmt will keep this team at 70% offensive efficiency. It's frustrating and fixable, but not with our coaches. They're just not very good.

tomlin isnt going anywhere. he was hired for one reason and he still does that well.
rooneys dont care about having a ****ty defense or winning. as long as fans fill the stadium, tomlin will stay until he decides to leave

Snatch98
09-11-2015, 05:04 PM
tomlin isnt going anywhere. he was hired for one reason and he still does that well.
rooneys dont care about having a ****ty defense or winning. as long as fans fill the stadium, tomlin will stay until he decides to leave

Just because there are four or five people that share your opinion on Tomlin doesn't mean it's the majority opinion. You at one time were the one sh.sitting up the board and then the other trolls showed up and overshadowed your bs. Our board currently is a damn sh.it show. I can't even enjoy it right now and its because of ridiculous positions and defcon 5 after one game with a new coordinator and a new defense. Boykin is still getting acclimated. We lost golson. It's not like the front office isn't trying to address problems. The defense is growing. If you are too damn impatient to allow it to mature its your damn problem. Your position is not appreciated by the majority on this board. People are too nice.

Captain Lemming
09-11-2015, 06:56 PM

Pappy

Garvin is our tallest inside linebacker at 6'3 and while not as fast as Shazier his best attributes is speed. He was a hybrid LB/Safety in college, coverage is supposed to be his specialty.

Not only is Shazier several inches shorter than Garvin, this was a goal line situation, therefore as our leading inside linebacker tackler Shazier stayed inside to defend the run.

skyhawk
09-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Garvin is our tallest inside linebacker at 6'3 and while not as fast as Shazier his best attributes is speed. He was a hybrid LB/Safety in college, coverage is supposed to be his specialty.

Not only is Shazier several inches shorter than Garvin, this was a goal line situation, therefore as our leading inside linebacker tackler he stayed inside to defend the run.

Thank you. They did what they could with a big linebacker. Throw in ANOTHER perfect throw by Brady and no one, no team, stops that play.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2015, 07:45 PM
We needed Ben to play better than Brady to have a chance to win. Ben didn't and that was the difference in the game.

skyhawk
09-11-2015, 08:03 PM
We needed Ben to play better than Brady to have a chance to win. Ben didn't and that was the difference in the game.

Ben was on fire in the second half. At times they would go away from the pass. His interception/punt sealed the deal.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Ben was on fire in the second half. At times they would go away from the pass. His interception/punt sealed the deal.

Both defenses didn't play well. The Steelers run game outperformed the Pats run game. Wr play was about equal. Special teams coverage was about equal. Scobee was off. Brady played better then Ben. Ben wasn't good enough. Ben needs to step up his game with the defense we have.

The defense might be a year or two away from being a top 5 unit again.

NorthCoast
09-11-2015, 08:25 PM
I have to agree with Collinsworth that when we were in the hurry up the it seemed the receivers always had to run to the other side of the field to line up. What's up with that? Not only does that eat up time but it wears the receivers down.

Reading the postgame notes this was intentional. They were playing chess against the D lining up Brown to get him free in the defense. Have to say it worked for the most part and Brown had another stellar night.

SteelerOfDeVille
09-11-2015, 08:46 PM
6. I dont hate the reverse pass with brown call, it was set up nicely but it was a killer taking the "sack" i guess
They did run a similar "setup" play a few plays earlier, BUT
1. as soon as he threw it to AB, I knew it was a pass... He was significantly behind where he was on the earlier play.
2. WHY? Just Why? you've marched right up the field with efficient and effective plays, no trickery. Keep doing that until they stop you. Don't out-think them until they MAKE you - otherwise, you're out-thinking yourself. At a MINIMUM, tell AB to throw it away

AzStillers1989
09-11-2015, 09:14 PM
They did run a similar "setup" play a few plays earlier, BUT
1. as soon as he threw it to AB, I knew it was a pass... He was significantly behind where he was on the earlier play.
2. WHY? Just Why? you've marched right up the field with efficient and effective plays, no trickery. Keep doing that until they stop you. Don't out-think them until they MAKE you - otherwise, you're out-thinking yourself. At a MINIMUM, tell AB to throw it away
Agree 100%..... There is a time in a game where something like that might work..... However on the first drive of the season after marching downfield was not it.... Oh well. If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot continue sly we will just fine.

BowCatShot
09-11-2015, 09:32 PM
1. A glaring need last season was to improve the secondary. Glaring need is still to improve the secondary. The Steelers must think that's not a priority, or that they're good enough elsewhere that they can get by with a mediocre backfield. They're wrong.

2. A glaring need last season was to improve the red zone offense. Glaring need is still to improve the red zone offense. Haley may not be up to the task. Of course, it probably would have helped if bonghead Martavis hadn't gotten his ar$e suspended.

3. A glaring need last season was to improve clock management. Glaring need is still to improve clock management. I still say Tomlin needs to hire a special assistant for this.

4. Front 7 was supposed to be improved, but they looked mostly weak and ineffective. Against an interior line made up of 3 rookies, one of whom was an undrafted FA. Not a good sign.

5. I miss Suishi. Never thought I'd hear myself say that.

6. How can you leave the opponent's best weapon, Gronk, open as much as he was left open tonight?

7. Undisciplined and unprepared. Once again, it looks as though this team waits until the regular season to start getting ready to play football.

8. Even with all of the negatives, if Scobee makes his 2 field goals, Haywire-Boy keeps his feet inbounds, and we can punch it in on first and goal, we win this one. Imagine that!

9. DeAngelo Williams has got some tread left on the tires.

10. Shazier is going to be a star.

What you say is very true. The question that I have about that is just why is it true.

papillon
09-11-2015, 10:22 PM

Not only is Shazier several inches shorter than Garvin, this was a goal line situation, therefore as our leading inside linebacker tackler Shazier stayed inside to defend the run.

Who is the better football player? That's the guy that should be on the field on the goal line, IMO.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
09-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Who is the better football player? That's the guy that should be on the field on the goal line, IMO.
sometimes it's so simple... Otherwise, they're trying to make an argument that say, McCullers should have been covering Gronk, cuz he's tall.

You put your best 11 defensive football players on the field and let the chips fall.

In other news, my most critical observation last night was that I missed Troy, Ike and Ryan Clark. Even as a step slower, they don't make the mental mistakes that leave Gronk completely uncovered.

I know it's early, but, if that doesn't improve, it's time to gut the secondary, pick up a few FAs...

I was EXTREMELY pleased with the offensive line. Ben moved very little and held the ball a lot. Not sure I've seen the kudos they deserved from posters on this board.

Really grading the LB's is tough. Most of NEs passes were quick, so the OLB's didn't have a lot of opportunities to get pressure on Brady. I saw a couple of decent plays from the young OLBs in the run game, setting the edge. Bud got a sack (hoping that's the first of many more to come). However, they all struggled with Dion Lewis and, obviously, with Gronk..

There were positives; I could see 11-5 out of this team, simply because most opponents won't be able to keep up offensively. Especially if the line keeps playing like it did last night.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2015, 10:54 PM

Pappy

On offense, Will Johnson, Roosevelt Nix, Alejandro Villenueva, and Matt Spaeth were not the best football players at the goal line.

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2015, 11:26 PM
re watching the game
the clock management wasn't as bad as I origianlly though at the end of the half.

1st TO was at 43 seconds which was fine. if they call them earlier, then they're leaving Brady enuff time to come down and score again if they didnt get a 1st down.

the mistake was after deangelo's run. was down with 30 some seconds left, and they snapped the ball with about 20.
but, going to hurry up there also should have produced their only TD of the half if HeyBey keeps his foot in bounds

7upnext
09-12-2015, 02:44 AM
I still think we have the talent on D to formidable. As others have said, it might take a few weeks to get it in order. Granted that should have already taken place but whatever. Normally all we'd need is an average D to win games with our offense. But looking at our brutal schedule I think we need more than that.