PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones

Shawn
08-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Making better decisions...much better pocket presence and awareness...making some pretty good throws. Too bad he cant catch the ball as well. Who knows he may turn out to be a decent #2.

Oviedo
08-09-2015, 09:30 PM
He has looked OK for the first pre-season game, but he is getting no help from receivers.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-09-2015, 09:31 PM
also missed a wide open TD and has struggled getting plays off in time

one of his WRs made a nice one handed grab

Shawn
08-09-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm not looking for perfection. I'm looking for growth. He looks better. That's the take home message. And yes he is getting no help from the WRs.

The Man of Steel
08-09-2015, 09:38 PM
I could be mistaken but it sure looks like Landry Jones keeps throwing off of his back foot every single time he releases the football.

NorthCoast
08-09-2015, 09:49 PM
I guess I had much higher expectations for a guy that has been on the roster this long. He is missing throws, staring down WRs. He looks a tad better than a true rookie which is pretty telling in my mind.

Shawn
08-09-2015, 09:52 PM
I guess I had much higher expectations for a guy that has been on the roster this long. He is missing throws, staring down WRs. He looks a tad better than a true rookie which is pretty telling in my mind. I disagree...coaches quoted stating they were happy with his first half play. So am I. Every QB misses throws. I also seen him throw some perfect balls under duress that WRs were dropping. I seen him going through his progressions, stepping up in the pocket buying time...and delivering some nice balls. So, I suppose either one of us is blind or we are watching different games.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-09-2015, 09:57 PM
or people see what they want to see. Its no secret you've been Landry's biggest cheerleader since he got here

He has played OK, nothing more

Shawn
08-09-2015, 09:57 PM
or people see what they want to see. Its no secret you've been Landry's biggest cheerleader since he got here

He has played OK, nothing more Where did you get that? Biggest cheerleader? lol Guess the coaches are his biggest cheerleader as well. As for playing ok...I would agree which is much improved over horrid. Like I said, improvement. I'll save the HOF salutes for Ben.

feltdizz
08-09-2015, 10:16 PM
He should have 2 TD's..

Discipline of Steel
08-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Its looking like he wont get us a TD this whole game.

ikestops85
08-09-2015, 10:40 PM
I disagree...coaches quoted stating they were happy with his first half play. So am I. Every QB misses throws. I also seen him throw some perfect balls under duress that WRs were dropping. I seen him going through his progressions, stepping up in the pocket buying time...and delivering some nice balls. So, I suppose either one of us is blind or we are watching different games.

I'm with you Shawn. In the past he has been absolutely horrid but in this game he has shown a lot of improvement. His decisions are quick and he is getting rid of the ball. I'm not saying he looks great but based on his past performances he's a ton better.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Was maybe OK in the first half. I thought he kind of sucked in the second half.

SidSmythe
08-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Jones sucked. Plain and simple. The scary part is he's shown some improvement.

SidSmythe
08-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Ok that was harsh. He did show some good mobility and pocket presence. His throws just sucked half the time.

Moonie
08-10-2015, 12:35 AM
The guy sucks. I hope we go with a better third.

Shawn
08-10-2015, 01:31 AM
Was maybe OK in the first half. I thought he kind of sucked in the second half. He sucked up the second half. He regressed back to the Jones we have grown to loathe.

Mr.wizard
08-10-2015, 06:41 AM
He was terrible, missing wide open td's, not going through progressions, starring down receivers, he just flat out sucked.

Ghost
08-10-2015, 07:21 AM
He is not an NFL QB. And he was not good last night. Missed a lot of wide open WRs and if there is even the tiniest bit of pressure he looks rattled immediately. He should not waste a roster spot for yet another season where he has 0% chance of dressing come Sunday. Time to cut bait.

Oviedo
08-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Heard this morning that the Pats just released Matt Flynn. Easy to say get rid of Jones, but you have to get someone who can learn the offense and you are confident will do better. Gradkowski's injury is probably making Jones more important that he should be as the only QB who probably understands the system.

Ghost
08-10-2015, 08:24 AM
This is from a report about a week ago and it was no better last night:

Jones, in particular, has continued to look shaky in the team's first two training camp practices, continuing a theme that has extended back to his rookie year. Jones has struggled to develop into a serviceable backup, and even his added reps with the first-team offense thus far haven't done him any favors.

Bleacher Report's Chris Gazze (https://twitter.com/chrisg_br/status/625459439756279809), who has been in attendance at camp, says that "Boyd outperformed Jones" on Sunday, adding "Landry still tentative, especially in live drills."

Steelers Depot's Jon Ledyard reported that Jones was doing a lot of checking down (https://twitter.com/jledgepfs/status/625766081978855424) on Monday, while ESPN's Jeremy Fowler observed Jones (https://twitter.com/jfowlerespn/status/625765729556635648) overthrowing receiver Martavis Bryant.

Not too much out there about Gradkowski's injury. An undisclosed shoulder injury. I did find where there is expectation he'd be able to return by the 3rd Preseason game on Aug 23rd. If true, he'd be able to play some snaps in 3 games (23rd, 29th, 3rd).

While I understand no team is sitting on an All-pro 2nd team QB; I'm not sure the Steelers could win a single regular season game if Landry had to play. He was overwhelmed by vanilla D being played by lots of guys who will be gone soon. I shudder to think what would happen against real pros with actual schemes.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-10-2015, 08:32 AM
it's a real shame they are going to hand this bum a roster spot for another year. bringing in stiffs like taj boyd to compete doesn't help the team at all

Eich
08-10-2015, 09:26 AM
This is from a report about a week ago and it was no better last night:

Jones, in particular, has continued to look shaky in the team's first two training camp practices, continuing a theme that has extended back to his rookie year. Jones has struggled to develop into a serviceable backup, and even his added reps with the first-team offense thus far haven't done him any favors.

Bleacher Report's Chris Gazze (https://twitter.com/chrisg_br/status/625459439756279809), who has been in attendance at camp, says that "Boyd outperformed Jones" on Sunday, adding "[SIZE=5]Landry still tentative, especially in live drills."

To me, Landry looked like he was making a special effort to look decisive after being told he's too tentative. It didn't work for him. He just doesn't have "it". I'm sure Charlie Batch could come out of retirement today and look 10x better. Here's hoping that Grad's arm holds up to be the backup. Jones and Boyd are flat awful.

Steelhere10
08-10-2015, 09:50 AM
He sucked point blank, started off promising then BOom.

phillyesq
08-10-2015, 10:30 AM
He should have 2 TD's..

He should have had a TD on the gimme that James dropped. He has no excuse for missing a wide open Coates - that was on him.

feltdizz
08-10-2015, 12:55 PM
He should have had a TD on the gimme that James dropped. He has no excuse for missing a wide open Coates - that was on him.

I agree 100%.

i was high on Jones when we drafted him (partially because we finally took a white pocket passer) but the guy sucks.

I knew he crumbled under pressure in big games but I expected more from him as a passer... he doesn't have it.

7upnext
08-10-2015, 03:51 PM
yeah, he didn't impress. If he was a viable backup he's have lit them up. He's just a 3rd stringer imo. I'd be surprised if he lasts beyond this year. He stares receivers down and lacks zip on his passes.

NorthCoast
08-10-2015, 07:17 PM
yeah, he didn't impress. If he was a viable backup he's have lit them up. He's just a 3rd stringer imo. I'd be surprised if he lasts beyond this year. He stares receivers down and lacks zip on his passes.

The sad part?? He blew against 2nd and 3rd stringers, guys that most likely won't make it through camp. Yes, receivers didn't help, but his ball placement half the time was just not good. Overthrowing 6'4" WRs takes some special talent.

The gig is up and needs to end.

Discipline of Steel
08-10-2015, 07:21 PM
16 of 32 for a buck and a quarter? horrific stats for an entire Hall of Fame game.
He cannot see the field in our uniform, therefore he cannot make the team.