PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Extend Heyward thru 2020.

SidSmythe
07-16-2015, 09:53 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-Cameron-Heyward-to-new-contract/bac06843-0e15-4698-b66d-3a9c11562d8c?campaign=social_20150717_49295996&adbid=10153553202999905&adbpl=fb&adbpr=146175949904

fordfixer
07-16-2015, 11:17 PM
That's good news. :tt1

8467thekraken
07-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Awesome.

One less distraction to deal with as the team launches a serious Championship campaign.

Slapstick
07-17-2015, 08:00 AM
I hope he continues to be worth it!!

Jooser
07-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Nice, might buy me a jersey now! Woot

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Adam Schefter reports that it is a 6 year, $59.25 million extension (and he didn't need to post Heyward's medical chart on Instagram). Second highest paid Steeler behind only Ben.

Oviedo
07-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Adam Schefter reports that it is a 6 year, $59.25 million extension (and he didn't need to post Heyward's medical chart on Instagram). Second highest paid Steeler behind only Ben.

Hopefully we won't have our second highest paid player "occupying blockers".

I hope we see much more aggressive D line play

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Hopefully we won't have our second highest paid player "occupying blockers".

I hope we see much more aggressive D line play

If Cam Heyward gets double teamed by the guard and tackle, and Bud Dupree only has to take on a TE or RB on his way to blasting the QB...then it is an investment well worth it.

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Heyward: 'It’s exciting and I am very happy'

Posted 37 minutes ago

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Defensive end Cam Heyward is happy to be staying with the Steelers long term.

Cam Heyward celebrated signing his new six-year contract on Friday morning by doing what he does just about every day. He came into the Steelers practice facility and worked out.

Less than 24 hours after inking the new deal, which will keep him with the Steelers through the 2020 season, Heyward joined some of his teammates in the weight room for what is a typical day for him.

But he did it with a little bit more of a smile on his face.

“It’s exciting and I am very happy I get the opportunity to stay here,” said Heyward. “A lot of thanks go out to a lot of different people. First of all you have to thank the Rooney family for even drafting me and then extending me. Then it goes down the list, my family, friends, teammates, coaches, training staff, the cafeteria people, the media outlets and the help they give me.

“I am just very appreciative to be able to continue to play for the Steelers.”

Heyward, who was drafted by the Steelers in the first round in 2011 out of Ohio State, is also appreciative that his contract won’t be something he is asked about for quite a while now. While Heyward never let it be a distraction to him, his focus always solely on football, he was asked about entering the last year of his rookie contract throughout the Steelers offseason. Now he can just talk football.

“It’s nice to know I’ve got six years to put it on the back burner and just worry about football,” said Heyward, who finished the 2014 season with 7.5 sacks. “It’s never been a distraction and never will be. It’s nice to know it got handled and handled the right way.

“We are all just focused on the task at hand and that is winning the Super Bowl. I like to think that we have one box checked with my contract. There are a couple of other guys, but we are staying focused as an organization and looking forward to raising another trophy this year.”

The Steelers report to Saint Vincent College for training camp on Saturday, July 25, with their first practice schedule for Sunday, July 26. Heyward has high expectations for the defense and the team in general.

“The intensity is going to pick up,” said Heyward. “It needs to be a growing effort as a defense to pick up Coach (Keith) Butler’s scheme and be a top five defense in the league. The ultimate goal as a team is to make the playoffs and win a Super Bowl.

“I think we have the talent, we have shown it in our efforts. We have had spurts on defense, been more consistent on offense. As a defense we want to be more consistent. We want to challenge our offense and say who has the best group.”

And while football is front and center for Heyward right now, he is going to take a little time and celebrate this weekend. But not his contract. Instead he will be celebrating his wife Allie’s birthday, which likely includes a cake from Giant Eagle.

“I have a little bit of money to go buy her a gift,” joked Heyward. “I think we are both very excited. I am glad to know I get to be near family and get to be a part of this organization for a little bit longer.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Hyeward-It’s-exciting-and-I-am-very-happy-/327f82e4-c69e-48f3-a932-8a477946e293

Oviedo
07-17-2015, 01:18 PM
If Cam Heyward gets double teamed by the guard and tackle, and Bud Dupree only has to take on a TE or RB on his way to blasting the QB...then it is an investment well worth it.

I'm sure we'll continue to disagree but I'd hope Butler does more than that with Heyward. Not sure if your intent is for other people to make plays you spend almost $60M on Heyward.

SidSmythe
07-17-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm sure we'll continue to disagree but I'd hope Butler does more than that with Heyward. Not sure if your intent is for other people to make plays you spend almost $60M on Heyward.

How about Aaron Smith type production?? I'd be happy with that (plus a few more batted balls for bonus).

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2015, 02:05 PM
How about Aaron Smith type production?? I'd be happy with that (plus a few more batted balls for bonus).

In his two seasons as a starter so far, Heyward had 7.5 sacks last year and 5 sacks the year before.

Aaron Smith's most productive seasons sack-wise were 8 sacks (happened twice...2001 & 2004) and the next most sacks he got in a season were 5.5 (also happened twice...2002 & 2008 ).

Therefore, Heyward's best sack season and second best sack season are each only a half sack off of what Smitty was doing back in the day. Sounds like Aaron Smith type production already.

Iron City Inc.
07-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Glad we locked him up. He is a talent who can play 5 tech and 1 gap so regardless of Butlers schemes he should produce. His motor is excellent and he plays with a low pad level. Watch tape of Cam Thomas and as soon as he engages his pad level is driven up. Not a formula for success.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-17-2015, 03:44 PM

Have to agree. 10 million per is playmaker money.

Honestly this seems a little too high to me. I like heyward but damn, I have never considered him a dominant type player and that's what these numbers suggest to me. Seems like a true steeler type and a leader so that's worth something. May just be market value in today's NFL. Hope he stays healthy and continues to make plays

Slapstick
07-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Heyward will stay on the field all three downs. He will move inside from the 5 tech in the base defense to a 3 or even 4 tech depending on the passing D alignment...and he will continue to be deadly...

Jooser
07-17-2015, 04:14 PM

YES! Exactly.....I like it a-lot!

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/XXYiW5aHeGA/mqdefault.jpg

BradshawsHairdresser
07-17-2015, 08:47 PM

Honestly this seems a little too high to me. I like heyward but damn, I have never considered him a dominant type player and that's what these numbers suggest to me. Seems like a true steeler type and a leader so that's worth something. May just be market value in today's NFL.

You summed up my sentiments perfectly.

Hope he stays healthy and continues to make plays

Amen. Nightmare scenario is he pulls a Woodley. But by all accounts, Heyward is a high-character guy, so I don't expect him to be a slacker when it comes to fitness and preparation.

Maybe Butler will turn him loose, and he will prove to be a dominant playmaker.

Djfan
07-18-2015, 12:18 AM
I thought it was high, too, but he is a great player.

SidSmythe
07-18-2015, 09:15 AM
I agree. That's a lot of money for a player who has yet to be dominant.

What does JJ Watt make a season???

Slapstick
07-18-2015, 09:38 AM
JJ Watt makes about $16 million per season average. He signed a 6 year $100 million deal with more than $50 million guaranteed.

SidSmythe
07-18-2015, 10:57 AM
JJ Watt makes about $16 million per season average. He signed a 6 year $100 million deal with more than $50 million guaranteed.

In comparison to that deal this is "fair" ... not exactly a bargain but I'm looking forward to seeing where Heyward blossoms.

Shoe
07-18-2015, 01:14 PM
You summed up my sentiments perfectly.

Amen. Nightmare scenario is he pulls a Woodley. But by all accounts, Heyward is a high-character guy, so I don't expect him to be a slacker when it comes to fitness and preparation.

Maybe Butler will turn him loose, and he will prove to be a dominant playmaker.

This signing does remind one of Woodley. Woodley was also a high-character guy, high-motor guy from a traditional Big 10 school. We inked him at a great spot in his career (after first contract, around 25-27--lots of good years left).

I don't know if I'd "turn him loose" more. I think he's shown he's an impact player from his traditional spot (3-4 DE). You get the amount of sacks he's gotten from that spot, you're saying something.

7upnext
07-18-2015, 05:29 PM

Honestly this seems a little too high to me. I like heyward but damn, I have never considered him a dominant type player and that's what these numbers suggest to me. Seems like a true steeler type and a leader so that's worth something. May just be market value in today's NFL. Hope he stays healthy and continues to make plays

agreed. two of the most easily replaceable positions on a football team are guards and 3-4 DEs. I love the kid a lot. He's exactly what you want in a 3-4 DE. But no 3-4 DE is worth that money. Not one. All these young players we've got will be looking for paydays in 2-3 years and this contract might prevent being able to sign one of them. Again, love the player, feel he would probably not even get this as a FA so I see no reason to give it to him.

Oviedo
07-18-2015, 05:57 PM
agreed. two of the most easily replaceable positions on a football team are guards and 3-4 DEs. I love the kid a lot. He's exactly what you want in a 3-4 DE. But no 3-4 DE is worth that money. Not one. All these young players we've got will be looking for paydays in 2-3 years and this contract might prevent being able to sign one of them. Again, love the player, feel he would probably not even get this as a FA so I see no reason to give it to him.

...unless Butler uses him differently than our DEs have been used in the past then with his skillset he could be a real beast and justify every dollar he gets.

RuthlessBurgher
07-18-2015, 06:59 PM
He's truly an every down player capable of both being responsible and gap sound in an odd man front on early run downs when asked to 2-gap as a 5-technique DE and also being an aggressive penetrator in an even man front on nickel and dime passing downs when asked to 1-gap as a 3-technique DT. Those cats are rare and valuable.

Slapstick
07-18-2015, 10:48 PM
The funny thing is, the site-that-shall-not-be-named called the numbers on this contract just over a month ago...it seems pretty close...

Slapstick
07-18-2015, 10:51 PM

A DE in a base 3-4 defense is easy to replace...a DE in a 3-4 who can stay on the field in the sub package and still be effective is hard to find...the Steelers found one and locked him down...hopefully, with Tuitt, they have two...

NorthCoast
07-19-2015, 09:55 AM
A DE in a base 3-4 defense is easy to replace...a DE in a 3-4 who can stay on the field in the sub package and still be effective is hard to find...the Steelers found one and locked him down...hopefully, with Tuitt, they have two...

This.

The fact you have a player that can stay in on multiple defensive packages makes him all the more valuable.

Plus you have a guy that was on the injury report for 3 games in 4 years. That's worth something as well.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Any player can easily be replaced. We can replace Heyward with Cam Thomas, who only makes $2M per year. We can use the $8M savings on other players. Don't think that anyone wants that.

I think that one of the beautiful things about guys like Heyward and Aaron Smith is that they contribute greatly, in ways that are not quantified by numbers. You can't simply use the cliche that "all they do is occupy blockers". Good DEs allow guys like Harrison, Lloyd, Porter etc. to put up numbers and grab the glory.

RuthlessBurgher
07-19-2015, 01:18 PM
The funny thing is, the site-that-shall-not-be-named called the numbers on this contract just over a month ago...it seems pretty close...

Well, that's about the time that new deals for Cam Jordan and Corey Liuget set the market, so the eventual numbers weren't awfully surprising.

7upnext
07-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Any player can easily be replaced. We can replace Heyward with Cam Thomas, who only makes $2M per year. We can use the $8M savings on other players. Don't think that anyone wants that.

I think that one of the beautiful things about guys like Heyward and Aaron Smith is that they contribute greatly, in ways that are not quantified by numbers. You can't simply use the cliche that "all they do is occupy blockers". Good DEs allow guys like Harrison, Lloyd, Porter etc. to put up numbers and grab the glory.

remind me again about these amazing numbers and glory our LBs and defense overall has been putting up since Heyward's arrival. If that's the way to judge a 3-4 DE then my point stands. He's a very good, not excellent DE. Glad we have him. But it's just too much to pay imo. Even if he somehow gets better than Smith in his prime he wouldn't deserve it. It's going to come back to haunt them.

Slapstick
07-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Except it won't. The game has changed since Smith played. If Heyward plays the run as well as he has and also records 7.5 to 8 sacks per year, it's a good deal...

SidSmythe
07-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Except it won't. The game has changed since Smith played. If Heyward plays the run as well as he has and also records 7.5 to 8 sacks per year, it's a good deal...

JJ Watt is the new Prototype for a dominant 3-4 DE.

His deal is about 2/3's of Watts. I don't see HEYWARD getting 16 sacks.
However at this money I would want to see 10 sacks, many batted balls and teams gameplanning to slow him down.

Oviedo
07-20-2015, 11:29 AM
JJ Watt is the new Prototype for a dominant 3-4 DE.

His deal is about 2/3's of Watts. I don't see HEYWARD getting 16 sacks.
However at this money I would want to see 10 sacks, many batted balls and teams gameplanning to slow him down.

I agree. I think it is reasonable to expect for that salary you get 8-10 sacks not just occupying blockers.

steelsnis
07-21-2015, 10:53 AM
I agree. I think it is reasonable to expect for that salary you get 8-10 sacks not just occupying blockers.

C'mon guys. I'd hope that you're smart enough to know that it's way more nuanced than "you got money, you need sacks".

Saying a guy is getting paid X-amount of cash so now he has to have X-number of sacks isn't exactly how it works. Coaches and front offices are smart enough to know when a player is performing up to the level of his contract and it's not simply about sacks for a defensive lineman. I'd love to see Heyward with 10 sacks this season! It would be great! But to insinuate that him not getting those sacks in some way means he's not worth his contract is simply not true.

Haha most of the people on this board freak out if someone they don't like (Worilds, JJ, Gildon etc) got a sack while going up against a running back or a TE. What if Heyward gets 10 sacks this year but 5 of them are after a lineman falls down? Is he still worth it? OF COURSE HE IS

Can't base his (or anyone's) salary on an arbitrary number. This isn't a sales job where you need to sell 65 widgets a month in order to hit your quota. NFL doesn't work that way. I'm thrilled the Steelers ponied up and paid their best young defensive player to keep him in Pittsburgh for 5 or 6 more seasons. It's the right move and sends a good message to the rest of the team.

birtikidis
07-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Personally, I think the talk about sacks is over rated. Sure they're great and make nifty high light reels on ESPN. But if a guy is a sieve in the running game but gets 10 sacks, I could care less.
That's the problem I always had with Worilds. Guy couldn't stop my grandmother from running off tackle, but he could get sacks. Heyward is worth every penny of that deal if he gets 1/2 the sacks he did last year. He almost single handedly shuts down runs to that side. I'd rather have a guy who shuts down the running game than a guy who gets a sack 8 times per year.

SidSmythe
07-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Personally, I think the talk about sacks is over rated. Sure they're great and make nifty high light reels on ESPN. But if a guy is a sieve in the running game but gets 10 sacks, I could care less.
That's the problem I always had with Worilds. Guy couldn't stop my grandmother from running off tackle, but he could get sacks. Heyward is worth every penny of that deal if he gets 1/2 the sacks he did last year. He almost single handedly shuts down runs to that side. I'd rather have a guy who shuts down the running game than a guy who gets a sack 8 times per year.

Dwight Freeney

birtikidis
07-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Dwight Freeney
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Freeney play most of his career as a 4-3 defensive end?
Also, IMO most of his career he was a terrible run defender. That entire defense was a sieve. Not nec. his fault. if they hadn't given choker manning 100m dollars they may have been able to sign some defensive players.

birtikidis
07-21-2015, 02:57 PM
THE JJ Watts and Bruce Smiths are the exception to the rule. Steeler fans are an interesting group. They see a special player flourish in a system similar to what we run and they instantly expect our guys to be on the same level. Heyward is an absolute stud who is perfect for what we are trying to do. He's not a JJ Watt or Bruce Smith. Like I said if he shuts down one side of the offense and gets 4-5 sacks those are great results.

SidSmythe
07-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Freeney play most of his career as a 4-3 defensive end?
Also, IMO most of his career he was a terrible run defender. That entire defense was a sieve. Not nec. his fault. if they hadn't given choker manning 100m dollars they may have been able to sign some defensive players.

My point was he could get to the QB and gave no mind to run support.

birtikidis
07-21-2015, 04:21 PM
My point was he could get to the QB and gave no mind to run support.
And my point is that I'd rather not have a one dimensional player like that. Freeny was great at getting to the qb though.

Oviedo
07-21-2015, 04:24 PM

I have t disagree. This is a passing league and teams pass more than ever and on potentially every down. A sack means that you have taken the most important player on the other team (the QB) to the ground before he can get rid of the ball and he has been forced to take negative yards. How by any metric is that over rated. If anything is over rated it is "stout against the run" in a league where running is for the most part a secondary part of an offense plan and usually a supporting aspect to passing and scoring. You want every player to be balanced but I'll takes a sack producer over "stout against the run" every time because sacks are game changing plays whereas tacking a runner after a 2-3 yard gain rarely ever is.

Slapstick
07-21-2015, 04:51 PM
I agree. So, it's a good thing that LeBeau freed Heyward up to get some sacks and make good use of his pass rushing abilities. It's also a good thing that Butler is going to continue with this adjustment to the defensive scheme. The adjustment that LeBeau originally implemented.

Oviedo
07-21-2015, 05:02 PM
I agree. So, it's a good thing that LeBeau freed Heyward up to get some sacks and make good use of his pass rushing abilities. It's also a good thing that Butler is going to continue with this adjustment to the defensive scheme. The adjustment that LeBeau originally implemented.

It's especially good that the team went forward by putting the guy on top who was willing to take it to the next level.

birtikidis
07-21-2015, 09:36 PM
I have t disagree. This is a passing league and teams pass more than ever and on potentially every down. A sack means that you have taken the most important player on the other team (the QB) to the ground before he can get rid of the ball and he has been forced to take negative yards. How by any metric is that over rated. If anything is over rated it is "stout against the run" in a league where running is for the most part a secondary part of an offense plan and usually a supporting aspect to passing and scoring. You want every player to be balanced but I'll takes a sack producer over "stout against the run" every time because sacks are game changing plays whereas tacking a runner after a 2-3 yard gain rarely ever is.
You would disagree.
You're one of those fantasy football if it didn't make the ESPN high light it didn't happen guys.
Tell Marshawn Lynch that he's a secondary part of the game.

Oviedo
07-22-2015, 09:33 AM
You would disagree.
You're one of those fantasy football if it didn't make the ESPN high light it didn't happen guys.
Tell Marshawn Lynch that he's a secondary part of the game.

Read my signature. Never played fantasy football and never will. I guess when you have no intelligent response based on substance the fall back is to attack the poster. I won't do that

birtikidis
07-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Read my signature. Never played fantasy football and never will. I guess when you have no intelligent response based on substance the fall back is to attack the poster. I won't do that
You may not play but you have the MENTALLITY of a fantasy football player. You don't understand the game of football, you're a high light reel fan. If it doesn't excite you then it doesn't matter. Offensive and defensive line is the most NON glamorous positions on the field. If as a defensive lineman you CAN'T stop the run YOU ARE NO LONGER IN THE NFL. Just because you think it's a "Passing league" doesn't mean the other aspects don't matter. Last time I checked Marshawn Lynch was in the last couple super bowls, and they didn't get there because they're a passing team. One dimensional teams DO NOT WIN

Oviedo
07-22-2015, 11:05 AM
You may not play but you have the MENTALLITY of a fantasy football player. You don't understand the game of football, you're a high light reel fan. If it doesn't excite you then it doesn't matter. Offensive and defensive line is the most NON glamorous positions on the field. If as a defensive lineman you CAN'T stop the run YOU ARE NO LONGER IN THE NFL. Just because you think it's a "Passing league" doesn't mean the other aspects don't matter. Last time I checked Marshawn Lynch was in the last couple super bowls, and they didn't get there because they're a passing team. One dimensional teams DO NOT WIN

Sure. I'm confident only you know football. Please direct me to the location of the your bust in the Hall of Fame. I'll stop by next time I'm there. Also, point out where I said any defensive lineman is a "revolving door" and can't play the run at all. I said the way the league is going, whether you like it or not, you have to be able to attack the QB. You and I just differ in where the emphasis is, but if you desperately come on this board and need someone to agree with you...sorry. I think attacking the passer is a much more important part of the NFL today, not because of stats, but because that is the most important player in an opponents offense and if you disrupt him you disrupt the offense.

RuthlessBurgher
07-22-2015, 01:31 PM
For any player in the front seven, if you are solid against the run but a limited pass rusher, then you are only two down player at best. The team will keep you while you are cheap labor on a rookie contract, use you situationally on early run downs and on special teams, then let you walk when your contract comes due.

Similarly, if any player in the front seven can get to the passer but does not play gap sound against the run, then you are only a situational player in nickel and dime formations. The team will keep you while you are cheap labor on a rookie contract, use you situationally in passing situations and on special teams, then let you walk when your contract comes due.

If you can prove that you can do both of those things well and are a true everydown reliable impact player, then you get paid as such like Cam Heyward just did.

BURGH86STEEL
07-22-2015, 08:50 PM

I agree. The number of sacks an individual gets is one of the most overrated, over hyped stats in football.

An offense typically runs around 1000+ plays per season. 50 to 60+ percent (500 to 600+ plays) of which are passing plays on most teams. People are excited about the proposition of 8 to 10 sacks, seriously? Or a player records 16 sacks in a season. That's an average of 1 sack per game.

I just don't see sack numbers as a huge difference maker for a defense. The pressure a defense can deliver consistently is much more important than the number of sacks achieved. Pressure shows up on film more often. QB's remember pressure.

Heyward is being paid because it's what it cost in today's market to keep a player of his caliber. I don't believe the Steelers will regret resigning him if he doesn't average 8 to 10 sacks per year. That feat is rare for 3-4 dlinemen.

papillon
07-23-2015, 06:55 AM
I agree. The number of sacks an individual gets is one of the most overrated, over hyped stats in football.

An offense typically runs around 1000+ plays per season. 50 to 60+ percent (500 to 600+ plays) of which are passing plays on most teams. People are excited about the proposition of 8 to 10 sacks, seriously? Or a player records 16 sacks in a season. That's an average of 1 sack per game.

I just don't see sack numbers as a huge difference maker for a defense. The pressure a defense can deliver consistently is much more important than the number of sacks achieved. Pressure shows up on film more often. QB's remember pressure.

Heyward is being paid because it's what it cost in today's market to keep a player of his caliber. I don't believe the Steelers will regret resigning him if he doesn't average 8 to 10 sacks per year. That feat is rare for 3-4 dlinemen.

Here's the thing about sacks (and, by the way, I'm a stop the run first guy), getting a sack isn't easy. Offenses have changed, quick safe passing is all the rage and that makes it even more difficult to sack a quarterback. That being said, when a player can get 8-12 sacks a year under these conditions that player is capable of applying pressure often. Its this pressure and threat of being sacked that causes quarterbacks to hesitate or make poor decisions. If the threat isn't there, then the quarterback feels impervious to the pressure and will get through his reads and find open WRs.

The two best 3-4 DEs in Steeler history had a combined 74 sacks (30&44) with high marks of 5.5 (Keisel) and 8 (Smith) each achieving those marks one time. I don't think there's a fan alive that wouldn't want to have either (or both) of these guys on the team in their prime. They stuffed the run and pushed the pocket, but mostly they allowed OLBs to be the stars and the Steelers had some pretty good OLBs during that time.

The Steelers need the drafted OLBs to get traction and become the players that the Steelers believed they would be when they drafted them.

Pappy

Oviedo
07-23-2015, 10:57 AM
The Steelers need the drafted OLBs to get traction and become the players that the Steelers believed they would be when they drafted them.

Pappy

And there lies the key to this defense being successful again. If our OLBs can't do it we need to put our Def Linemen in a position to do it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-23-2015, 11:17 AM

I think it was during the summer when he was being inducted into the hall, DL was asked if he would rather get sacks or consistent pressure, his answer was pressure. Pressure causes QBs to make mistakes, they feel claustrophobic, they panic and get happy feet. Shrink the pocket and you see results.

Oviedo
07-23-2015, 03:02 PM
I think it was during the summer when he was being inducted into the hall, DL was asked if he would rather get sacks or consistent pressure, his answer was pressure. Pressure causes QBs to make mistakes, they feel claustrophobic, they panic and get happy feet. Shrink the pocket and you see results.

Isn't a sack the ultimate form of pressure?

SidSmythe
07-23-2015, 10:27 PM

In theory yes.
However u can get 3 or 4 sacks a game from good play calling and blown blocking assignments while not getting consistent pressure on the QB.

If the pressure is consistent the sacks will come but so will more mistakes such as hurried throws.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-27-2015, 03:59 PM

I think that it was a comment on occasional sack vs. consistent pressure. QBs who are facing consistent pressure do silly things...other than Ben.