PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown on reported holdout: 'Money's not important to me'

fordfixer
05-26-2015, 09:30 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25196389/antonio-brown-on-reported-holdout-moneys-not-important-to-me
Antonio Brown on reported holdout: 'Money's not important to me'

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

May 26, 2015 7:52 pm ET

Antonio Brown caught 129 passes for 1,698 yards and 13 touchdowns last season. He was the top-rated wide receiver according to both Football Outsiders and ProFootballFocus, and the latter recently ranked him the seventh-best playerin the entire league. But Brown's contract, which he signed almost three years ago, doesn't compensate him accordingly.

And that fact goes a long way in explaining why Brown may have contemplated a holdout earlier this spring. There were reports in April that the Pro Bowler was looking for a new deal, but after that trial balloon was met with predictable disdain from fans, Brown apparently had a change of heart.

Two days after the aforementioned reports, Brown tweeted that his absence from voluntary workouts was because spending time with his newborn and that he couldn't "wait to get back to my teammates."

On the first day of OTAs Tuesday, Brown was asked about his contract situation.

“That's totally up to my agent," he said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I'm here singularly focused to get better and better on my game. This organization has been nothing but first class to me, believing in my time and my skills since I got here. I'm ready to pay them back with my work ethic. ...

"This is a community that I love," he continued. "My kids go to school here. I want to keep a good reputation. Obviously money's not important to me. I've got enough. The organization has extremely blessed me. I'm ready to play football."

It's an interesting response -- especially the part about "wanting to keep a good reputation" -- which hints that public opinion may have played a role in his decision to return to work.

And the Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette adds this: "...[T]hose who say [Brown] never planned [the holdout] or that it was not an issue are wrong. It was an issue right up until the time Antonio Brown decided not to make it one."

For now, Brown plans to be a full participant this offseason -- and beyond.

“I'll be there at training camp so you guys get ready to see me,” he said Tuesday. “I'll be wearing my same new haircut. I'll be smiling. I'll be ready to go.”

Brown inked a six-year, $41.9 million contract in 2012, after just two NFL seasons and three starts. He's certainly outplayed that deal over the last two years when he caught 239 passes for 3,197 yards and 21 touchdowns -- Brown 2015 salary of $9.8 million ranks 13th among all wide receivers, according to overthecap.com-- but in the NFL where contracts aren't guaranteed, teams almost always have the leverage.

And that's the case in Pittsburgh where the Steelers almost never open negotiations until there's one year remaining on a player's contract.

squidkid
05-26-2015, 09:44 PM
somebody must have talked some sense into him

BradshawsHairdresser
05-27-2015, 12:45 AM
somebody must have talked some sense into him

Mike Wallace?:lol:

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Mike Wallace?:lol:

and Manny Sanders...:D

Notleadpoisoned
05-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Take Ben away and Antonio Brown is just another good receiver. He needs to realize that.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2015, 09:22 AM
“I'll be there at training camp so you guys get ready to see me,” he said Tuesday. “I'll be wearing my same new haircut. I'll be smiling. I'll be ready to go.”

http://prod.images.steelers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/STEELERS/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/clubimages/2015/05-May/temp2015_OTA_0526kr_0037_1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

Captain Lemming
05-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Oh great. Just when he decided to stop SOUNDING like mo-money Wallace, you post a pic with Browwn rocking that dumb Wallace "I got a shark fin on my head" hairdo. :)

http://prod.images.steelers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/STEELERS/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/clubimages/2015/05-May/temp2015_OTA_0526kr_0037_1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

K Train
05-27-2015, 10:25 AM
Antonio Haynesworth

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Oh great. Just when he decided to stop SOUNDING like mo-money Wallace, you post a pic with Browwn rocking that dumb Wallace "I got a shark fin on my head" hairdo. :)

http://img.macjams.com/song_art/80989_gumby.jpg

feltdizz
05-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Take Ben away and Antonio Brown is just another good receiver. He needs to realize that.

This is not true at all.

I could see if Ben was threading needles and working miracles but he throws a 5 yard dump off to AB and the guy makes 5 guys miss him on the way to a TD.

That, my f

Discipline of Steel
05-27-2015, 11:21 AM

ABs new nickname is Dimetrodon

Jooser
05-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Dude is a beast. Stop the hate folks. He'd be a beast on so many other teams as well as ours, Ben didn't put him there. They work well together, but you think that Shady*, Brees, Rogers, or Rivers wouldn't love to have this guy? C'mon man!

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/ffb251eb48eb734196b63f00ea4ad4c4.jpeg?w=250

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2015, 01:30 PM
ABs new nickname is Dimetrodon

He just said "Money is not important to me" and there you go nicknaming him after a dinosaur that starts with "Dime" ;)

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Dude is a beast. Stop the hate folks. He'd be a beast on so many other teams as well as ours, Ben didn't put him there. They work well together, but you think that Shady*, Brees, Rogers, or Rivers wouldn't love to have this guy? C'mon man!

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/ffb251eb48eb734196b63f00ea4ad4c4.jpeg?w=250

I certainly agree. Brown in the man. Dude's work ethic seems to be unparalleled for a receiver in this league since the epic workouts of jerry Rice.

However, Ben does seem to have a knack with his receivers (Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Markus Wheaton, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Plaxico Burress). The only one on par with him is Aaron Rodgers, who has been excellent with Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Donald Driver, etc.

Brady, Brees, and Rivers seem to prefer throwing to their TE's like Gronk, Graham, and Gates instead, with many unsuccessful attempts at developing receivers. Brady makes short white guys like Welker or Edelman into stats accumulators but not necessarily dangerous weapons (the only truly dangerous WR in New England during the Brady era was Randy Moss, but he was a beast no matter who was throwing to him as long as he wasn't a disinterested Raider). Brees turned Marques Colston from a 7th round flyer into a Pro Bowl level performer, but that was years ago. If he's not throwing to his TE, he's dumping it off to a RB like Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, etc. Rivers main weapon at WR during his career was Vincent Jackson, but VJax's numbers actually increased when he left Rivers for the sucktastic Tampa QB's instead. It looks like Keenan Allen was promising as a rookie 2 years ago, but his production tailed off last year.

Basically, what I am trying to say, is that compared to some of the other franchise QB types, Ben has quite the knack for working really well with whatever receivers are placed in front of him (hell, even Cedric Freaking Wilson was semi-competant with Ben throwing him the ball, and that quite an accomplishment there).

Slapstick
05-27-2015, 02:27 PM
He was able to catch slightly deflated footballs...

Notleadpoisoned
05-27-2015, 02:42 PM
This is not true at all.

I could see if Ben was threading needles and working miracles but he throws a 5 yard dump off to AB and the guy makes 5 guys miss him on the way to a TD.

That, my f

Put Bruce Gradkowski, Kordell, Tommy Maddox, Byron Leftwich, or any other former substandard Steelers QB in there for an entire season and there's no way that Antonio Brown catches 100 balls.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-27-2015, 02:54 PM
What's the saying? "Whenever a player starts saying, 'It's not about the money,' trust me--it's about the money."

Probably not very realistic to expect them to play primarily for thrills and giggles.

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Ben makes WR's better.

exactly, just look at what happened to Emmanuel Sanders after he went to Denver.

oh wait...

The Man of Steel
05-27-2015, 03:21 PM
exactly, just look at what happened to Emmanuel Sanders after he went to Denver.

oh wait...
Eric Decker anyone?

feltdizz
05-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Put Bruce Gradkowski, Kordell, Tommy Maddox, Byron Leftwich, or any other former substandard Steelers QB in there for an entire season and there's no way that Antonio Brown catches 100 balls.

that is hogwash and you know it. Brown catches a good 50+ balls a year on bubble screens...

The fact that you went from Ben to a long line of back ups to prove your point shows how crazy you sound.

feltdizz
05-27-2015, 03:40 PM
I certainly agree. Brown in the man. Dude's work ethic seems to be unparalleled for a receiver in this league since the epic workouts of jerry Rice.

However, Ben does seem to have a knack with his receivers (Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Markus Wheaton, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Plaxico Burress). The only one on par with him is Aaron Rodgers, who has been excellent with Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Donald Driver, etc.

Brady, Brees, and Rivers seem to prefer throwing to their TE's like Gronk, Graham, and Gates instead, with many unsuccessful attempts at developing receivers. Brady makes short white guys like Welker or Edelman into stats accumulators but not necessarily dangerous weapons (the only truly dangerous WR in New England during the Brady era was Randy Moss, but he was a beast no matter who was throwing to him as long as he wasn't a disinterested Raider). Brees turned Marques Colston from a 7th round flyer into a Pro Bowl level performer, but that was years ago. If he's not throwing to his TE, he's dumping it off to a RB like Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, etc. Rivers main weapon at WR during his career was Vincent Jackson, but VJax's numbers actually increased when he left Rivers for the sucktastic Tampa QB's instead. It looks like Keenan Allen was promising as a rookie 2 years ago, but his production tailed off last year.

Basically, what I am trying to say, is that compared to some of the other franchise QB types, Ben has quite the knack for working really well with whatever receivers are placed in front of him (hell, even Cedric Freaking Wilson was semi-competant with Ben throwing him the ball, and that quite an accomplishment there).

Ben is a great QB...

but it makes no sense to say AB wouldn't be who he was without Ben. You can say that about Wallace because he was one trick and relied on Ben extending plays but AB is a monster route runner with great hands. There are 15 or so QB's who could make AB look just as great because he is great in his own right.

feltdizz
05-27-2015, 03:57 PM
He stayed healthy and held onto the football.

Ben can't keep Sanders from getting injured.

He was injured throughout his rookie season, and in 2011 when the lockout prevented him from being in the facility.

The ONLY thing that really changed for Sanders along with his health when he went to Denver, was this:

2014 Peyton Manning threw 597 passes, but only 60 with 2+ TE's on the field.

To compare

2014 Ben threw 608 passes, but 156 with 2+ tight ends on the field.

So if Manny were still here, he'd still be getting shuffled in and out of the lineup while guys like Matt Spaeth and Will Johnson are running pass routes.

But your slam at Ben is duly noted "Steeler fan".

that wasn't a slam on Ben..

it was a slam on the idea that AB wouldn't be as good without Ben.

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2015, 04:01 PM
But your slam at Ben is duly noted "Steeler fan".

nah, I love Ben.

it was obviously Haley and Art II's fault...

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2015, 04:02 PM
that wasn't a slam on Ben..

it was a slam on the idea that AB wouldn't be as good without Ben.

you are correct.

AB is a special talent who would be just as good with many other QBs...

BradshawsHairdresser
05-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Does Captain Lemming know that he's got a lemming?

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2015, 04:09 PM
You need to start paying attention to what happens on the field.

and you need to start paying attention to the context that statements regarding Ben are made under...

The Man of Steel
05-27-2015, 05:59 PM
that is hogwash and you know it. Brown catches a good 50+ balls a year on bubble screens...

The fact that you went from Ben to a long line of back ups to prove your point shows how crazy you sound.
You could probably name any Steelers QB that wore the black n gold and I doubt if any of them, except for maybe Tommy Maddox, could have helped Brown make over a hundred catches in a season.

feltdizz
05-27-2015, 06:24 PM
You could probably name any Steelers QB that wore the black n gold and I doubt if any of them, except for maybe Tommy Maddox, could have helped Brown make over a hundred catches in a season.

phooey... Neil O'Donnell. Granted we didn't have a bunch of great QB's but that was by choice. We had Cowher who was raised in Marty Ball so it was run, run, defense, defense.

But why are you guys trying to put AB back in time instead of pairing him with other QB's of TODAY?

The Man of Steel
05-27-2015, 06:45 PM
phooey... Neil O'Donnell. Granted we didn't have a bunch of great QB's but that was by choice. We had Cowher who was raised in Marty Ball so it was run, run, defense, defense.

But why are you guys trying to put AB back in time instead of pairing him with other QB's of TODAY?
Antonio Brown is a really good WR but he's still a bit of an overachiever thanks to Ben.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2015, 07:02 PM

With Ben the last 2 seasons, he caught 110 and 129 balls. I suspect that he could also have caught at least 100 passes from Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Luck, Peyton, Eli, Rivers, Romo, Ryan, Stafford, and Wilson. With a few other QB's, he'd probably catch at least 80 or 90 something balls, such as Flacco, Newton, Dalton, Tannehill, Cutler, Palmer, Bradford, etc.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-27-2015, 07:11 PM
He'd be just as good no matter where he played...but his stats wouldn't be as good a lot of other places.

Captain Lemming
05-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Does Captain Lemming know that he's got a lemming?

Just found out.
Crash FINALLY admits I own him.

Captain Lemming
05-28-2015, 12:10 AM
He'd be just as good no matter where he played...but his stats wouldn't be as good a lot of other places.

THIS is a balanced answer.

Captain Lemming
05-28-2015, 12:16 AM
Ben makes WR's better. He was dominant in 2005 in 16 games with an over the hill Hines, Randle El, Cedrick Wilson, and Nate Washington at WR.

Not exactly the 1978, or 1995 group right there.

Randy Moss was considered washed up garbage after 2006 playing with those stiff QB's in Oakland.

What happened in 2007?

Ben DOES make receivers better, true Crash.
But when GOAT at the position Jerry Rice calls Brown the best......He know a thing or two more than the bozos on this forum.

RuthlessBurgher
07-15-2015, 04:03 PM
When we eventually extend his deal a year or two from now, Antonio's price tag just went up with Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas just signing matching 5 year, $70 million deals, with about a two-thirds of the total value guaranteed.

squidkid
07-15-2015, 05:00 PM
When we eventually extend his deal a year or two from now, Antonio's price tag just went up with Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas just signing matching 5 year, $70 million deals, with about a two-thirds of the total value guaranteed.

i bet he walks away from our offer(which wont be worth what these guys got) which will be okay seeing that we still have the other 3.

Steelgal
07-15-2015, 06:36 PM
I think Brown is a MUCH better oveall talent than Mike Wallace, but he didn't exactly light it up after he left Pittsburgh.

Jooser
07-17-2015, 05:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tbboxiFv8

Mr.wizard
07-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Antonio Brown will be great no matter where he goes, he is so incredible at changing direction when running his routes it makes him almost impossible to cover. Ben makes a difference because he can extend plays, which allows brown to make more big plays down the field, opportunities he may not get with a typical QB. Both will be great without the other but they are explosive together.

Captain Lemming
07-20-2015, 09:16 AM

We will not extend brown at his current value because the league overplays elite receivers. Great receivers have not produced many recent championships. They tend to kill the cap, so overall talent is hurt.

The only way it happens is if Brown takes less than he would command elsewhere which he would do if the quote is true. I like Brown but I don't buy it. Hope I am wrong.

NorthCoast
07-21-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm ok with Brown playing hard for the Pittsburgh Steelers now and leaving to get his payday elsewhere later. For whatever reason, the Steelers have shown they can replace WRs without too much difficulty.

skyhawk
07-22-2015, 12:53 AM
I'm ok with Brown playing hard for the Pittsburgh Steelers now and leaving to get his payday elsewhere later. For whatever reason, the Steelers have shown they can replace WRs without too much difficulty.

Indeed.

Having Big Ben also helps that along. Only a couple other teams in the NFL have this luxury.

Shoe
07-22-2015, 08:28 PM

Much as I don't like to agree because I've enjoyed AB so much, you're probably right.

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2015, 10:09 AM

They do recycle wideouts effectively here, but Antonio is a truly special one, like Hines Ward before him, and they kept Hines a Steeler for life. They may treat Wheaton like another Manny Sanders and let him go when he is eligible for free agency. They may even treat Bryant like another Plaxico Burress and let him go when he is eligible for free agency. But I suspect they will find a way to hold onto Antonio, even if it gets contentious a year or two from now with a Hines-like holdout from camp in order to get a deal done. Dallas didn't break up their triplets in Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin until each was ready to retire, so they team will find a way to keep Ben, Bell, and Brown intact.

bostonsteeler
07-23-2015, 11:13 PM
They do recycle wideouts effectively here, but Antonio is a truly special one, like Hines Ward before him, and they kept Hines a Steeler for life. They may treat Wheaton like another Manny Sanders and let him go when he is eligible for free agency. They may even treat Bryant like another Plaxico Burress and let him go when he is eligible for free agency. But I suspect they will find a way to hold onto Antonio, even if it gets contentious a year or two from now with a Hines-like holdout from camp in order to get a deal done. Dallas didn't break up their triplets in Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin until each was ready to retire, so they team will find a way to keep Ben, Bell, and Brown intact.

We've had Ben for 11 years and counting, and never had a year on O like last year. Ben is very good, but he still needs his foils on the field. I don't think AB and LB would be as stellar as they were without someone of Ben's caliber on the field, but equally, Ben is going to be less effective without players like them on the field.
They all feed off one another. The Steelers will try their best to keep all three.

Captain Lemming
07-24-2015, 12:42 AM

But this is the deal. Hines never made elite receiver dough.
Yes, if we can sign him to a Hines (today's version) type deal, good money but not ridiculous sure, I have no doubt we do it. But we have NEVER PAID ANYBODY at that position (including Hines) top receiver dollar. THAT is what Brown can command. Interesting you mention those Cowboys. Since the days of Rice and Irvin, has any top paid receiver led to a SB victory? The problem today is that the elites today at the position are paid so much more in relation to the cap.

Like I said before, if Brown accepts less than his actual market value, we surely will sign him.

I just doubt he would do it.

Shoe
07-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Dude's not going to be able to afford anything less than top-dollar, purchasing things like this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25249205/look-antonio-browns-insanely-sick-custom-steelers-rolls-royce-phantomhttp://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25249205/look-antonio-browns-insanely-sick-custom-steelers-rolls-royce-phantom

Captain Lemming
07-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Dude's not going to be able to afford anything less than top-dollar, purchasing things like this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25249205/look-antonio-browns-insanely-sick-custom-steelers-rolls-royce-phantomhttp://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25249205/look-antonio-browns-insanely-sick-custom-steelers-rolls-royce-phantom

Then again....big investment in his identity as a Steeler. :)

BradshawsHairdresser
07-24-2015, 06:22 PM
If the Steelers think they're going to let him walk anyway, I'd like to see them trade him with a year or so on his contract...and at least get something for him.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2015, 10:45 AM

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ap_steelers_camp_football_74737344.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ap_steelers_camp_football_74739704.jpg?w=1000&h=667

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ap_steelers_camp_football_74738982.jpg?w=1000&h=666

birtikidis
07-27-2015, 01:33 PM
If the Steelers think they're going to let him walk anyway, I'd like to see them trade him with a year or so on his contract...and at least get something for him.
I wouldn't. Ben won't be here forever and he's our shot at a super bowl. I wouldn't trade any of his weapons whether we are going to eventually lose them or not.

feltdizz
07-27-2015, 02:55 PM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ap_steelers_camp_football_74737344.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ap_steelers_camp_football_74739704.jpg?w=1000&h=667

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ap_steelers_camp_football_74738982.jpg?w=1000&h=666

damn, that car is UUUUUGLY.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2015, 03:33 PM
damn, that car is UUUUUGLY.

I'll trade him my Camry for it straight up. ;)

squidkid
07-27-2015, 03:56 PM
well, thats the second time brown has made it public that money wasnt important. lets see if he is man of his word in another year or two.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-27-2015, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't. Ben won't be here forever and he's our shot at a super bowl. I wouldn't trade any of his weapons whether we are going to eventually lose them or not.

I'm not talking this year...but if they're not going to keep Brown anyway...when he gets down to one year left on his contract, if they could trade him and get a couple of really good draft picks? Man, I'd pull the trigger on that deal.

They've already shown they can get good wide receivers with less-than-premium picks.