PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Draft through 3 Rounds

BradshawsHairdresser
05-01-2015, 11:19 PM
1. Bud Dupree, OLB.................A
Value pick, should develop into a good upgrade at position of need.

2. Senquez Golson, CB.............C-
Considerable reach; can he cover tall receivers and hold up under the hitting in the pro game?

3. Sammy Coates, WR.............C-
A lot of potential, but also a lot of inconsistency. Many more pressing needs for team than a 4th WR.

Overall, rounds 1-3..............................C

squidkid
05-01-2015, 11:23 PM
A+++++++
got BPA all 3 rounds

7upnext
05-01-2015, 11:23 PM
1. Dupree....A
Amazing athlete at a need position. Most felt he would be top 10 pick.

2. Golson....A
Best zone corner in the draft. Amazong ball skills. Faced elite competition and produced.

3. Coates....B-
Great size/speed athlete and was a playmaker. Questionable hands and limited route tree.

Overall 1-3.......A-

Slapstick
05-01-2015, 11:24 PM
A+++++++
got BPA all 3 rounds

F------

We should have taken more players who enjoy the "Devil's Cabbage"...

7 UP
05-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Bud Dupree, I did not like this pick. However, he was highly rated, and does have some upside. If it works out could be a steal where we drafted him. B-

Senquez Gomez, Could have been had in the 3rd round. REACH. C-(Being Kind)

Sammy Coats, No need for a WR here. This pick boggles my mind. F

Overall grade D

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Bud Dupree, I did not like this pick. However, he was highly rated, and does have some upside. If it works out could be a steal where we drafted him. B-

Overall grade D

Lol. Jesus

squidkid
F------

an F?
you are not a real fan. go root for another team

BradshawsHairdresser
F------

Just have the rooks spend a week with Bell, and he'll get 'em lined out. :D

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2015, 11:33 PM
interesting, all three of the Steelers first 3 selections are from the SEC...

Slapstick
05-01-2015, 11:35 PM
an F?
you are not a real fan. go root for another team

Wow. That really hurt my feelings. I will now continually complain about this remark for the next five years.

7 UP
05-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Lol. Jesus

To me D is being kind. This is the worst 3 rd draft the Steelers have had in quite some time IMO.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Sammie Coates has had TD receptions of 88, 68, 68, 67, 57, 56, 39, 38, 36, 34 and 33 yards over the past 2 seasons

— Chris Adamski (@C_AdamskiTrib) May 2, 2015

https://twitter.com/C_AdamskiTrib (https://twitter.com/C_AdamskiTrib)

Shoe
05-01-2015, 11:59 PM
1. Bud Dupree, OLB.................A
Value pick, should develop into a good upgrade at position of need.

2. Senquez Golson, CB.............C-
Considerable reach; can he cover tall receivers and hold up under the hitting in the pro game?

3. Sammy Coates, WR.............C-
A lot of potential, but also a lot of inconsistency. Many more pressing needs for team than a 4th WR.

Overall, rounds 1-3..............................C

Dupree B-
More guys like him have flopped, then have flourished. He is in-line with Steeler tradition: productive in college, team captain type.

Golson B
This is good value. Productive, talented, feisty.

Coates B-
Only reason he's a B is because I have to have faith in Steelers ability to draft mid-round WRs, especially after Martavius.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2015, 12:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0SVbaC_T4

Chadman
05-02-2015, 12:31 AM
Steelers needed more pass rush. Steelers needed players that can create turnovers. You can never have enough playmakers.

From what I can see, the Steelers got 3 potential playmakers.

I'd give Dupree an A-, I'm not the biggest fan, but given he was taken 10-15 picks later than some predictions, and has fewer questions about him than both Ray and Gregory, I'm happy with the pick.

Golson went higher than I thought, not by much. I thought the Steelers would target a bigger guy. But you can't fault his play, or level of competition. B

Coates is Bryant all over again. Potential player. Not who I would have picked (Xavier Cooper), but the Steelers boast 1 scary pass offense. B

Snatch98
05-02-2015, 12:34 AM
To me D is being kind. This is the worst 3 rd draft the Steelers have had in quite some time IMO.

Ridiculous. I think you know you are being ridiculous as well.

Snatch98
05-02-2015, 01:09 AM
My draft grade is A, teetering on A+ because I absolutely love golson. He's exactly the corner we need because he IS going to get the football and give it back to one of the most prolific offenses in the league.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2015, 01:25 AM
3(87) Pittsburgh Steelers: Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn: A Grade

Man, I've correctly mocked all three positions to the Steelers, but I've had the wrong players. I love this pick though, as the Steelers are selecting another talented player who dropped into their lap. Sammie Coates easily could've gone in the second round, but dropped because he, well, drops a lot of passes. That's something that can be coached up. Coates' athleticism, on the other hand, cannot. He has major bust potential, but his ceiling is extremely high.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php#lm4kSQisf48sB0CU.99

SS Laser
05-02-2015, 01:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0SVbaC_T4 With a 4 WR set just will be nasty to defend. SC can run deep with AB short, MB intermediate route and Wheaton were ever. Find 4 CB that can cover them. Come on the Coates pick helps the offense. Helps keep MB hungry which will keep Coates hungry. Nothing wrong with making a strength stronger. I bet Ben is happy. Also with LB out we need to run different sets. LB is the 3rd best "WR" on the team maybe 2nd last year. It REALLY hurt the offence when he was hurt. The whole offence was way off including play calling. Lets hedge against that happening again. And no 2nd back up RB will work. Coates was a good pick. :) So was Golson as long as he does give the powerful offense more times to score. :)

Keyplay1
05-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Steelers needed more pass rush. Steelers needed players that can create turnovers. You can never have enough playmakers.

From what I can see, the Steelers got 3 potential playmakers.

and has fewer questions about him than both Ray and Gregory, I'm happy with the pick.

Golson went higher than I thought, not by much. I thought the Steelers would target a bigger guy. But you can't fault his play, or level of competition. B

Coates is Bryant all over again. Potential player. Not who I would have picked (Xavier Cooper), but the Steelers boast 1 scary pass offense. B

I tried a mock draft yesterday. In rd 3 I took Xavier Cooper.

After KTrain brought him up recently I looked at some of his clips. He was the pick in rd 3 with a note that maybe moving up would be needed to get him. In an earlier thread I think it was Chadman [maybe Calmkiller] who brought up taking Preston Smith in rd2. Both were fine but it was very doubtful P. Smith would be there at #56 and he was not. But tbh it was very close between the two but I preferred XC anyhow.

Not sure if the clip I saw on Bryant was before of after he was drafted, but on one play he dives from about the 12 yard line and manages to clip the pylon for a TD. I thought here is Ben's big WR. Can't believe he also is one of the most dangerous deep threats in the league.

I have not seen Coates yet so I'll leave the grade open for now. I do believe however, that the coaching staff and he were buddy buddy as far back as the senior bowl. So what if he can't catch??

Now this part of the post should be the first part.

If I had not thought or posted a few weeks ago that the way the draft was setting up with so many possible picks in each round that I was going to leave the draft to the best drafting team in the NFL and really expect great results. It just seemed like a draft made for the Steelers.

Then yesterday, someone boldly posted they would be grading the Steelers soon and gave their picks. Really, I thought and replied Why not? Everyone else does. Then I said to save time I will give my grade now. B+. No make that an A.:D

Not so sure about my premature grade now. But if Coates is a real deal fine. I suppose.

OMT: Chadman said "I'd give Dupree an A-, I'm not the biggest fan, but given he was taken 10-15 picks later than some predictions,-------

[hopefully, they were not just suckered again]

7 UP
05-02-2015, 04:47 AM
Ridiculous. I think you know you are being ridiculous as well.

Snatch, I do not like this draft. Sorry I just dont.

Shawn
05-02-2015, 05:46 AM
Dupree-B+
Golson-A+
Coates-B

The Man of Steel
05-02-2015, 05:59 AM
I give day 1 an 'A' and I give day 2 a solid 'D'. Drafting a dwarf and some other kid with rubber hands just doesn't make the grade at all.

Oviedo
05-02-2015, 06:11 AM
Dupree-A
Golson-A
Coates-B (probably would have waited one for round for a WR and taken a DB or pass rusher here but got a very good player)

Shawn
05-02-2015, 06:56 AM
I give day 1 an 'A' and I give day 2 a solid 'D'. Drafting a dwarf and some other kid with rubber hands just doesn't make the grade at all. Have you done any real research on Golson? Or are you merely looking at his height? Have you ever seen how big this kid plays? Have you seen his twitch, hands, hips and heart? I absolutely love the pick.

SteelCrazy
05-02-2015, 07:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0SVbaC_T4

Look at the 2:16 mark....lol See anyone of interest?.........and again at 2:38 and 2:45

papillon
05-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Coates is pretty interesting guy. I hope he's successful in the NFL, if not, it seems he has it together.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/01/2015-nfl-draft-sammie-coates-auburn-inspirations

Pappy

papillon
05-02-2015, 07:21 AM
Look at the 2:16 mark....lol See anyone of interest?.........and again at 2:38 and 2:45

Two good battles both won by a Steeler. I like both guys, I think there were other options available like most, but a ballhawking corner and big physical WR who has a model on the team that he can follow.

Pappy

Shawn
05-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Look at the 2:16 mark....lol See anyone of interest?.........and again at 2:38 and 2:45 Yeah, I seen a guy who was in position against a big fast player. Same match up 1:43. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eutKQVVR1Y anyone look familiar? lol.

Golson is going to get beat on some plays when a tall guy has position...hence the reason he was a second rounder. Add 2 inches and the guy is competing with Peters and Waynes for their draft slot.

Ghost
05-02-2015, 08:29 AM
No one really knows. Does Golson figure out how do deal with the bigger NFL guys (something he has admitted will be something he has to work on)? Coates - can he get his hands in order? He is known for dropping catchable balls. High bust potential here but also a really high ceiling potential as well. I think Dupree is a fantastic pick.

And for for those of you ripping guys not liking the draft - NFL.com gave the Steelers a D- for their 2 day picks. Not everyone thinks the Steelers did great things Friday. Only time will tell.

Slapstick
05-02-2015, 08:36 AM
No one really knows. Does Golson figure out how do deal with the bigger NFL guys (something he has admitted will be something he has to work on)? Coates - can he get his hands in order? He is known for dropping catchable balls. High bust potential here but also a really high ceiling potential as well. I think Dupree is a fantastic pick.

And for for those of you ripping guys not liking the draft - NFL.com gave the Steelers a D- for their 2 day picks. Not everyone things the Steelers did great things Friday. Only time will tell.

Yeah, NFL.com is as inconsistent as this board...they will give Golson a player grade of 5.61, which I think translates to "starter", and then give the draft grade a "D"...

If the guy you pick up is a starter, how is that a "D"?

Oviedo
05-02-2015, 08:45 AM

And for for those of you ripping guys not liking the draft - NFL.com gave the Steelers a D- for their 2 day picks. Not everyone thinks the Steelers did great things Friday. Only time will tell.

Play the ball not the man. That is Gholston strength. Watch his tape, he uses quickness and explosion to get to the ball before the receiver. Sure, he will lose out on some jump balls, but that is helped teaching stripping technique to separate the ball from the WR. I like the pick a lot and could be best "interceptor" we have had at CB in a decade plus.

Don't forget either that getting a better pass rush will make the secondary look much better.

Steelhere10
05-02-2015, 08:53 AM
The thing is , Bleacher report was praising all three picks and a lot of sources I seen gave them a high grade. Let's be honest and I will admit to this. How many of you fans have actually watched these guys play and compete???? Or just go by the YouTube videos, so called draft experts and measurable and have a predetermined thought on who the team should pick. I'm willing to bet the latter.
BTW I heard some so called guru's saying the Ravens failed but I take it all with a grain a salt. They even compared the two wrs and said the Steelers got the better receiver in 3 where the Rats used their number 1.

Steelhere10
05-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Remember any Joe blow could put on a uniform and play 2 million plays and do a clip up on it and make themselves look like first round materiel.

Steelhere10
05-02-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm willing to bet squidkid fit the criteria.

Eddie Spaghetti
I would agree that Coates and perriman are similar players, but I think the ravens did an excellent job in rounds 2 and 3

Jooser
Defenses now have to cover Coates and Bryant over the top, and Brown zooming in across the middle? WTF.... Big numbers coming.

Slapstick
05-02-2015, 09:00 AM
It's all subjective anyway...

Seattle, for example, would have no use for Senquez Golson...he doesn't fit their defensive profile for CBs. For us, he works...

It's entirely possible that Bud Dupree fits our defensive profile better than Shane Ray, since he has experience rushing from a 2 point stance and actually dropping into a zone...

With the success that Richard Mann has working with Martavis Bryant, why not pick a similarly gifted WR with similar weaknesses that can be overcome?

Keyplay1
05-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Last night, someone at the bar said the Steelers better put in the 1st team pickers tomorrow [today]. Actually, I did not agree. However, if Coates does not prove out to be significantly better than either A. Brown, M. Wheaton or M. Bryant then maybe I will have second thoughts.

Someone pointed out that Carl Davis, a highly regarded DT, was still there. I noticed that Xavier Cooper was also on the board. Now I'm thinking that if the Browns come in here next year and Xavier Cooper wrecks the Steeler offensive line then Lebeau will probably very soon have some company down there in Tennessee.

squidkid
05-02-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm willing to bet squidkid fit the criteria.

im still waiting for lance moore to show how great he is and how he will way out perform cotchery....lol

Keyplay1
05-02-2015, 11:08 AM
rd1 B We shall soon see if this drop was simply happenstance.

rd2 A- A lot of similar types there taking him was significant.

rd3 B- Many would have preferred even more D here. [me too]

See ya'll tomorrow. Oh! Put in the 1st string pickers today.

feltdizz
05-02-2015, 11:24 AM
A-

I didnt see a lot of Dupree in college but I like his size and how they moved him around. I can see him getting on the field this year in sub packages.

I actually like our day 2 picks better than our 1st rounder. Golson played a ton of zone and plays the ball. He is Deshea 2.0.

Coates high points the ball well... remins me of Kelvin Benjamin.
We took the PBA in each rd. LOL

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Overall grade D

I know that I'm going to trust the scouting prowess of someone that gives our second round pick the last name of completely different ethnicity (have there been many quality Latino cornerbacks in the NFL?) and actually managed to misspell Sammie Coates' first AND last name. Shows that you really did you homework on these guys before deeming them to be failures.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2015, 02:04 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/05/02/ca67,12,2006,1305/SenquezGolson.jpg

7 UP
05-02-2015, 02:14 PM
I know that I'm going to trust the scouting prowess of someone that gives our second round pick the last name of completely different ethnicity (have there been many quality Latino cornerbacks in the NFL?) and actually managed to misspell Sammie Coates' first AND last name. Shows that you really did you homework on these guys before deeming them to be failures.

Or it could be the auto correct on the swiftkey keyboard I use on galaxy has lead me a stray. Either way Im willing to give Gomez a shot at corner. An all latino defensive backfield of Cortez and Gomez would be sick.

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Or it could be the auto correct on the swiftkey keyboard I use on galaxy has lead me a stray. Either way Im willing to give Gomez a shot at corner. An all latino defensive backfield of Cortez and Gomez would be sick.

Well, since we just lost the Tasmanian Devil in our secondary, we could certainly use a Speedy Gonzalez in the secondary. Senquez is roughly the same height as Speedy too. ;)

BradshawsHairdresser
05-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Well, since we just lost the Tasmanian Devil in our secondary, we could certainly use a Speedy Gonzalez in the secondary. Senquez is roughly the same height as Speedy too. ;)

We have Shamarko and Senquez...I've been waiting for the remark about adding Dopey and Sneezy to our secondary as well.:D

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2015, 02:55 PM
We have Shamarko and Senquez...I've been waiting for the remark about adding Dopey and Sneezy to our secondary as well.:D

We passed on Dopey in round 1 when we took Dupree over Ray and Gregory ;)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-02-2015, 03:15 PM
1st round - inc.
2nd round - inc.
3rd round - inc.

stay tuned for the rest of my grades as the draft plays out.

Steel Life
05-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Big fan of Dupree in the 1st, he's got the speed, size & strength to set the edge & should be be coached to terrorize RTs for the foreseeable future.

As for Golson...a little skeptical due to the size, but he's produced against a premier conference so time will tell. That said, the thought of Golson coming up to take out a pulling lineman is either comical or scary...haven't decided yet lol.

Like the pick of Coates...when we go four-wide defenses should be on their heels - I see a lot of crossing routes for AB after Bryant & Coates clear out the top of the secondary. Plus, if Wheaton doesn't pan out we've got talented young guys waiting in the wings.

Grant is a decent pick-up with starting experience from a big-time program, but not sure if he's anything special except for depth & the prospect of being able to play either CB or Safety.

I do do have problem with the pick of TE Jesse James though...would've liked to see either another OLB or some D-line depth. Kyle Emmanuel or Tyeler Davinson were within reach & both have high upside at positions of need.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Grant is a decent pick-up with starting experience from a big-time program, but not sure if he's anything special except for depth & the prospect of being able to play either CB or Safety.

Exactly how I feel about Grant.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-03-2015, 07:09 PM
1st round - inc.
2nd round - inc.
3rd round - inc.

stay tuned for the rest of my grades as the draft plays out.

Let me guess...
4th round - inc.
5th round - inc.
6th round - a - inc.
6th round - b - inc.
7th round - inc.

Am I psychic?

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2015, 11:03 PM
David Todd ‏@DavidMTodd -

Maybe #Steelers should flip Golson & Coates. Then they’d have a big physical corner w ok hands & a slot receiver who catches everything.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash