05-01-2015, 09:11 PM
I like it.
sorry but the 6 foot CBs w 4.4 speed who can't tackle are all gone

SidSmythe
05-01-2015, 09:11 PM
"Projected" means ???

Chucktownsteeler
05-01-2015, 09:12 PM
What a joke. This is worse then the Dri Archer pick last year. This guy was a 4th round pick at best. No one can say this was even close to BPA.

7upnext
05-01-2015, 09:14 PM
imo best corner in the draft (especially for our scheme)...and we get him in the second

squidkid
05-01-2015, 09:16 PM
jalen strong was considered a 1st rounder.
never want to hear any sucktards we draft BPA and never for need.
ravens bitched slapped us around on the trade up move. would have cost us next to nothing to move up one spot.............pathetic

RobinCole
05-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Chucktown, a lot of people are disagreeing with you. Including guys on TV. Not saying you're wrong and they're right. Just be careful when you act like yours is the only possible opinion.

squidkid
"Projected" means ???

just like dupree was projected to be top 15.............

7upnext
What a joke. This is worse then the Dri Archer pick last year. This guy was a 4th round pick at best. No one can say this was even close to BPA.

just because you are completely ignorant of the player means he wasn't bpa. Do a little research, watch some tape.

In 2014, unanimous first-team All-American and first-team All-SEC selection. Tied school record for interceptions with 10. Was a Bronko Nagurski finalist. Made 10 starts in 2013 with 41 total tackles. In 2012, played for both the football and baseball teams, making 6 starts for the football team and scoring 13 runs and stealing 5 bases for the baseball team. Selected in eighth round of 2011 Major League Baseball draft by Boston Red Sox as a center fielder.

We are lucky to have him. He's already the best player in our secondary. BTW Dri Archer didn't get many reps and was always going to be a work in progress. I expect he makes huge leap this season. The reason you didn't see too much of him was basically because Bell became just about the most effective 3rd down back in the NFL so it was hard to get him in the game

7upnext
05-01-2015, 09:19 PM
jalen strong was considered a 1st rounder.
never want to hear any sucktards we draft BPA and never for need.
ravens bitched slapped us around on the trade up move. would have cost us next to nothing to move up one spot.............pathetic

pretty convinced you are just trolling. Impossible to take you serious. Won't wast any more time responding from this point forward

squidkid
05-01-2015, 09:24 PM
pretty convinced you are just trolling. Impossible to take you serious. Won't wast any more time responding from this point forward

i know your type. praise every steeler pick after it is made. no nothing about them before hand.

papillon
05-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Don't waste the your time or the keystrokes, its healthier that way.

Pappy

squidkid
05-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Don't waste the your time or the keystrokes, its healthier that way.

Pappy

go ahead pap, tell me he was PBA

Captain Lemming
05-01-2015, 09:29 PM
What is PBA?

RobinCole
05-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Professional Bowling Association.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2015, 09:31 PM
I admit it was a need pick and Jaelen Strong was the BPA (which is why I was calling for him to be the pick before we made the selection). We needed a DB and took one (although I'm surprised it wasn't Quinten Rollins...now a Packer...instead of the undersized guy). Outside of size, he seems like a solid player...I just saw better value elsewhere. After missing out on Maxx, it will be interesting to see if Walford falls to us in round 3.

grotonsteel
05-01-2015, 09:32 PM
I don't think he was the BPA. He has crazy ball skills but too small. Steelers could have got him in Rd3 - Rd 4.

Shamrko and Golson..both are 5'8".

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Its a great pick. He has tremendous ball skills and his zone coverage is very, very good. He's small but there have been corners to break that stigma in recent years. I like the pick and I'm not sure why people are losing their minds over it. If he were taller he would have gone round one.

Chucktownsteeler
05-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Time will tell but to m just another in a long line of 2nd round whiffs, Sweed, Hill, Davis, Shields, etc. I am sure I am missing more. As for baseball, who cares. He was drafted to play football.

Ghost
05-01-2015, 09:37 PM
I hope his crazy ball hawk skills overcome his size. He got beat by bigger WRs in college. But he was definitely considered a a 3rd or 4th rounder by all the graders I read. Maybe a reach but still more than likely the best CB on the roster as of today. Barring injury I bet he starts.

Shawn
05-01-2015, 09:38 PM
As I said in my mock this is the most underrated db. The kid is the real deal. I couldn't understand how thy had him as a 4th or 5th rounder.

Slapstick
05-01-2015, 09:40 PM
NFL.com gives Golson a 5.61 rating...

By way of comparison, Rowe had a 5.65 and Byron Jones a 5.62...

If their system means anything, then perhaps he was not so much a reach as some would have you believe...

Eddie Spaghetti
05-01-2015, 09:40 PM
can't believe this is our 2nd rounder

Ghost
05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
As I said in my mock this is the most underrated db. The kid is the real deal. I couldn't understand how thy had him as a 4th or 5th rounder.

Then why did you have him in the 5th round of you mock draft?

Captain Lemming
05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Professional Bowling Association.

Ahhh, no wonder he hates our picks.
Here are the best options:
http://www.pba.com/Bowlers/

Chucktownsteeler
05-01-2015, 09:42 PM

Wow, you had him #5.

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Time will tell but to m just another in a long line of 2nd round whiffs, Sweed, Hill, Davis, Shields, etc. I am sure I am missing more. As for baseball, who cares. He was drafted to play football.

Mike mayock said he's the best zone corner he's seen. Tremendous ball skills.

Chucktownsteeler
05-01-2015, 09:47 PM

Let see how those skills pan out against tall WRs like AJ Green.

Shoe
05-01-2015, 09:49 PM

4th round according to who? That's the thing.

I LIKE when our team takes a guy who's not expected to go there. It tells me that there is something specific about them that they like. As opposed to a guy like Bud Dupree or Rashard Mendenhall or Decastro (though I still like Decastro) or Jarvis... all guys considered "a steal".

I ask again: according to who? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Let see how those skills pan out against tall WRs like AJ Green.

Chances are pretty good he's not gonna be matched up on green. I'd say that's gonna be Cortez Allen unless people have lost all faith in him.

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Is Antoine Winfield a bad corner?

SS Laser
05-01-2015, 09:55 PM
I SO HOPE this kid blows it up and becomes all pro so you cry babies can suck it. Let the kid play first! Also IF you have not noticed most MEDIA VALUES ARE WAY OFF FROM EVERY NFL TEAM! And for the record it is a suspect pick in the 2nd. Would figure Max was higher on there board and this kid was next. So the pick is the pick. See this could have been a need pick not BPA. Which can end up bad. We will see AFTER they play some freaking football!:cool: Also so many hear cry when the steelers pick height/weight/speed/ guys! So this can be the FOOTBALL player you whiners want for crying out loud!

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Alterraun Verner? 5'10 and praised for his zone/off coverage ability. I know a lot of people wanted him when he was a free agent. Size isn't everything, especially in this NFL.

lord_of_six_rings
05-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Kevin Colbert just followed up a victory with a complete F. And yes, I have the ballz to say 1) over rated and panicked pick of Golson 2) will be slot cb not a starter (how could he be with 6 foot whatever Wr's in our division (AJ, Sanu, Bowe, Balt rookiefrom ucf, and gordon?) 3) fits the mold of the only "type" of CB we actually have and performed! 4) Complete lack of draft strategy - you can't ever keep all your 4's,5,6's and 7's ....YOU DON'T have space. So Damnit, use a couple to get a player you debated on 1st round like rowe or a 5, 7 to get a friggin Heath replacement like Williams. 5) Lastly, you don't get extra considerations for picking early! If you were flummoxed by Balt. - use your full allotted time! Give someone time to pick up the F in phone.
Hey sorry, Kool aid drinkers, the point is we need solid contributors NOW...Bens clock is ticking and Golshon isn't anymore than a 4th cb for 2 years and Dupree (although I like) is most likely situational at best.

papillon
05-01-2015, 10:03 PM

Who knows if he was BPA? not me, not you, not even the guys that get paid to make those determinations. All the guys on ESPN or whatever station I;m watching the draft on were all saying that the pick was one of the best of the entire draft so far. He is a good player at a position of need, so how effing bad can it be? I doubt he'd have been there in the 4th round. His credentials and production indicate that he's a good player. Me, I would have taken Josh Shaw, but since I don't make a living grading out football players I will defer to the Steelers and hope Golson becomes an All-Pro, the same with Jones, Shazier and any other "bust" they have drafted in the past two years.

Pappy

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Who knows if he was BPA? not me, not you, not even the guys that get paid to make those determinations. All the guys on ESPN or whatever station I;m watching the draft on were all saying that the pick was one of the best of the entire draft so far. He is a good player at a position of need, so how effing bad can it be? I doubt he'd have been there in the 4th round. His credentials and production indicate that he's a good player. Me, I would have taken Josh Shaw, but since I don't make a living grading out football players I will defer to the Steelers and hope Golson becomes an All-Pro, the same with Jones, Shazier and any other "bust" they have drafted in the past two years.

Pappy

Ha, nice mock. I also completely agree. Great pick.

7 UP
05-01-2015, 10:08 PM
squidkid is spot on with this thread. Panic pick about sums it up.

Moonie
05-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Kevin Colbert just followed up a victory with a complete F. And yes, I have the ballz to say 1) over rated and panicked pick of Golson 2) will be slot cb not a starter (how could he be with 6 foot whatever Wr's in our division (AJ, Sanu, Bowe, Balt rookiefrom ucf, and gordon?) 3) fits the mold of the only "type" of CB we actually have and performed! 4) Complete lack of draft strategy - you can't ever keep all your 4's,5,6's and 7's ....YOU DON'T have space. So Damnit, use a couple to get a player you debated on 1st round like rowe or a 5, 7 to get a friggin Heath replacement like Williams. 5) Lastly, you don't get extra considerations for picking early! If you were flummoxed by Balt. - use your full allotted time! Give someone time to pick up the F in phone.
Hey sorry, Kool aid drinkers, the point is we need solid contributors NOW...Bens clock is ticking and Golshon isn't anymore than a 4th cb for 2 years and Dupree (although I like) is most likely situational at best.

I'm no football guru, and I don't pay attention to the college game at all (lame), but this analysis makes the most sense to me.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Golson looks like a nice slot corner...problem is, we already have Willie Gay for that. Seems like a substantial reach to me, but I guess that's what happens when you ignore the need at CB for several years.

He just doesn't seem like the BPA to me. But I hope I'm wrong, and Golson proves to be an all-pro corner like Mayock thinks. He's a Steeler now, so I will definitely root for him.

pittpete
05-01-2015, 10:29 PM

What the F does Mayock know..
Id take The Calamari kids word over his any day;)

SS Laser
05-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Golson looks like a nice slot corner...problem is, we already have Willie Gay for that. Seems like a substantial reach to me, but I guess that's what happens when you ignore the need at CB for several years.

He just doesn't seem like the BPA to me. But I hope I'm wrong, and Golson proves to be an all-pro corner like Mayock thinks. He's a Steeler now, so I will definitely root for him. How the heck is Willie Gay the slot guy when he starts on the outside? Blake maybe that guy but he could not beat out McCain totally last season? Gay replaced Ike last season and it is his spot to lose now.

steelsnis
05-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Kiper and McShay on Golson:

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper couldn’t say enough about the Steelers’ pick.“If you’re a Ravens fan you hate the pick and if you’re a Steelers fan you love it. That’s one of the best picks of the second round,” he said of Golson, who visited Pittsburgh and Baltimore, and worked out for Tampa Bay and Cleveland. “Golson is an interceptor supreme. Sixteen career picks — 16.”
Kiper went on to call the 5-foot-8, 176-pound Golson “pound for pound one of the best football players in this draft” with “wide receiver hands.”
Fellow ESPN analyst Todd McShay didn’t knock Golson for his size.
“For a smaller corner, he will support the run,” he said. “I think he’s tough, physical, aggressive. He’s everything you look for.
“You wish he was a little bit bigger and longer and all of those things, but he plays to his potential and his ability and he’s not afraid at all to mix it up.”

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2015/05/01/6205771/two-mississippi-state-standouts.html#storylink=cpy

Shawn
05-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Then why did you have him in the 5th round of you mock draft? Is this a real question? Did you read my mock with explanations?

Shawn
05-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Kiper and McShay on Golson: It's because Kiper actually done his homework on the kid, unlike many on this board.

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 10:46 PM
It's because Kiper actually done his homework on the kid, unlike many on this board.

Nope universal praise from the guys paid to analyze players. All of em are wrong. BUST.

FastNBulbous
05-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Antoine Winfield v2.0....anybody else see it?

Shawn
05-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Nope universal praise from the guys paid to analyze players. All of em are wrong. BUST. lol...I was shocked to see a well respected mocker have him drop to the late 5th. I think he wasn't getting love based purely on his size because it couldn't be his DB skills.

Slapstick
05-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Nope universal praise from the guys paid to analyze players. All of em are wrong. BUST.

I read one writeup that said he might have been available later, but Golson does exactly what the Steelers need...

Chadman
05-01-2015, 11:14 PM
This board can be funny. Many were in fits we didn't resign McCain (5'9") and were upset we couldn't sign Peterson & Moore (5'10" & 5'9" respectively). Many here say Willie Gay (5'10") is our best CB. Before him many will praise Deshea Townsend (5'10"). And yet we go insane over a 5'9" CB being selected in Round 2. Looks like he can play to me.

papillon
05-01-2015, 11:18 PM
This board can be funny. Many were in fits we didn't resign McCain (5'9") and were upset we couldn't sign Peterson & Moore (5'10" & 5'9" respectively). Many here say Willie Gay (5'10") is our best CB. Before him many will praise Deshea Townsend (5'10"). And yet we go insane over a 5'9" CB being selected in Round 2. Looks like he can play to me.

Shhh, there you go stating facts when you should be running around like your hair is on fire and the sky is falling because the Steelers drafted a 5'9" CB that appears to be able to play.

Pappy

Slapstick
05-01-2015, 11:23 PM

It's silly...

Some people are immediately hopeful and optimistic (me, for instance)...

Some are more cautiously optimistic...

Some have measured and well-reasoned criticisms...

And some just flat-out throw an internet temper tantrum...

Slapstick
05-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Senquez Golson:

First, a pick against Alabama that sealed the win for Ole Miss, arguably one of the biggest games in school history. Golson goes up and takes the ball away from a guy 8-inches taller than himself.

https://youtu.be/FV5vaRBT2Gg

7upnext
05-01-2015, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=Shoe;644371]4th round according to who? That's the thing.

I LIKE when our team takes a guy who's not expected to go there. It tells me that there is something specific about them that they like. As opposed to a guy like Bud Dupree or Rashard Mendenhall or Decastro (though I still like Decastro) or Jarvis... all guys considered "a steal".

Jones was not considered a steal at all. I and many felt it was a major reach. There were questions about him coming out. He's just not athletic enough and his numbers backed that up. I thought he'd be too weak and unable to seal and that's exaclty what I've seen. DeCastro was a steal. If not for the injury we'd have seen it sooner.

SS Laser
05-02-2015, 02:30 AM
[QUOTE=Shoe;644371]4th round according to who? That's the thing.

Jones was not considered a steal at all. I and many felt it was a major reach. There were questions about him coming out. He's just not athletic enough and his numbers backed that up. I thought he'd be too weak and unable to seal and that's exaclty what I've seen. DeCastro was a steal. If not for the injury we'd have seen it sooner.But a injury for JJ does not count? Geez. One more season and I will quit sticking up for him. Injury or not. If he can turn it around and play at a Timmons like level or production at OLB I hope there will be some crow to eat on this board.

Shawn
05-02-2015, 05:24 AM
lol JJ is going to shut up a lot of ignorance this season.

Shawn
05-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Golson is one of the best pure zone corners I've seen." -- Mike Mayock

Oviedo
05-02-2015, 06:06 AM
lol JJ is going to shut up a lot of ignorance this season.

We need to hope so for the good of the team, but not buying it. I wouldn't be surprised to see more from Dupree earlier in his career than we did or will from Jones.

I really hope Jones proves me wrong and I'll happily admit my error.

Oviedo
05-02-2015, 06:10 AM
Golson is one of the best pure zone corners I've seen." -- Mike Mayock

Steelers biggest problem has been decreasing numbers of sacks and INTs. We took positive steps to fix that with our first two picks and we got players who have produced.

2015 Draft is very solid, although the 3rd pick confuses me a little but maybe they feel Bryant and or Wheaton need someone pushing them and it wasn't going to be DHB.

Let's not forget that if AB ever gets hurt we have a serious problem on offense. I guess our new WR can be a bit of an insurance policy. Lets also not forget a potential, if highly unlikely, holdout in the next year or so by AB. Like a said good insurance pick.

Shawn
05-02-2015, 06:33 AM
Steelers biggest problem has been decreasing numbers of sacks and INTs. We took positive steps to fix that with our first two picks and we got players who have produced.

2015 Draft is very solid, although the 3rd pick confuses me a little but maybe they feel Bryant and or Wheaton need someone pushing them and it wasn't going to be DHB.

Let's not forget that if AB ever gets hurt we have a serious problem on offense. I guess our new WR can be a bit of an insurance policy. Lets also not forget a potential, if highly unlikely, holdout in the next year or so by AB. Like a said good insurance pick. I know we have members in love with Wheaton but he feels maxed out to me.

SteelCrazy
05-02-2015, 07:58 AM
After watching some tape on Golson, I think of DEshea Townsend. I did see one TD given up by Golson where he blanketed the WR, but lack of height and reach gave up a TD. Overall though, he may be our best CB already.

Shawn
05-02-2015, 08:13 AM
I agree with the size and heart comparison to Townsend. But, Golson is twitchier, faster, and has hands of a WR. Golson hits like a linebacker.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-02-2015, 08:24 AM
hits like a linebacker?

Cmon dude

papillon
05-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Because of his hands, ball hawking ability, speed and quickness is he possibly a future free safety that lurks on the back end of the defense making plays?

Pappy

Slapstick
05-02-2015, 08:40 AM
I agree with the size and heart comparison to Townsend. But, Golson is twitchier, faster, and has hands of a WR. Golson hits like a linebacker.

Stop performing fellatio on our draft picks!!! We only bitch and moan on here!!!!

Slapstick
05-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Because of his hands, ball hawking ability, speed and quickness is he possibly a future free safety that lurks on the back end of the defense making plays?

Pappy

IMO, he remains a corner. Is he going to be beaten by taller WRs? Sure he will...but, he would be beaten by taller WRs if he were 6'1"...

On this current defense, our CBs who are approximately Golson's size (Gay, McCain and Blake) accounted for 23 total starts, recording 7 INTs, 25 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries and 4 TDs...

Imagine what those stats could have looked like with a pass rush!

Coolie Man
05-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Him and shamarko in the same secondary. Yikes.

papillon
05-02-2015, 09:31 AM

Every team is just going to run fades all over the field. :p

Pappy

Flasteel
05-02-2015, 10:27 AM
I have to admit that I was not happy with the pick at first. That size was a problem for me. But after watching highlights and reading up on him, my concerns were mostly assuaged. I'm sure Colbert and company were desparate to address the corner spot, but I don't think they would pull the trigger on him if they didn't think be presented good value.

TE and defense from here on out.

winwithd
05-02-2015, 10:35 AM

Is that a good Yikes because of their talent or bad Yikes because of the size?

IIRC, Ife Ekpre Olomu was getting a lot of positive talk on here (disregarding the injury) and yet I just noticed he is only 1/4 inch taller than Golson. I wonder if any of the ones complaining about Golson's size were also hoping for IEO in the late rounds (only because of the injury).

pittpete
05-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Derelle Revis is 5'11"
Take your fingers now and measure out 2"
Think about it while looking at that distance..
Do you really think it makes that much of difference?
When you can jump vertically almost 3',2 inches doesn't matter.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-02-2015, 03:00 PM
didn't golston have one of the worst verticals of any CB at the combine?

the other guy can jump too

pittpete
05-02-2015, 03:17 PM
33" iirc..........

Eddie Spaghetti
05-02-2015, 03:25 PM
whatever it was, I heartily disagree with your assessment that his height won't be an issue

pittpete
05-02-2015, 03:28 PM
whatever it was, I heartily disagree with your assessment that his height won't be an issue

Thats your right, but i disagree..
I think Blake played pretty well for us at times at 5'9
McCain was also 5'9:o

Snatch98
05-02-2015, 03:33 PM

Watch his game against Alabama. Ole miss beat the tide because he took the ball in the end zone from a 6'6 receiver.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-02-2015, 03:35 PM
If you're satisfied with corners like Blake and mccain , there is no need for further discussion

Shawn
05-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Stop performing fellatio on our draft picks!!! We only bitch and moan on here!!!!. I practice selective fallatio, unlike some Steeler sluts I know.

7upnext
05-02-2015, 04:31 PM
If you're satisfied with corners like Blake and mccain , there is no need for further discussion

just like em...only faster, better ball skills, and higher production playing against the best from the SEC. But other than that...no difference ;)

RobinCole
05-02-2015, 04:32 PM
We should have kept Ike Taylor. He's 6' 2".

Moonie
05-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Derelle Revis is 5'11"

For whatever reason (maybe because like many sports, it's a game of inches), in many situations having 2-3 inches on your competition can make a huge difference.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-02-2015, 04:34 PM
just like em...only faster, better ball skills, and higher production playing against the best from the SEC. But other than that...no difference ;)

I wasnt the one who brought them up;)

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2015, 04:46 PM
in many situations having 2-3 inches on your competition can make a huge difference.

that's what she said...:D

Moonie
05-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Haha! Good one!

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Haha! Good one!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/fa/21/0d/fa210d396944f04adbe3d4a537ba50dc.jpg

feltdizz
05-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Watch his game against Alabama. Ole miss beat the tide because he took the ball in the end zone from a 6'6 receiver.

he is a ball hawk. great pick

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2015, 05:49 PM
he is a ball hawk. great pick

I agree, and a ball hawk is something our defensive secondary badly needed...

SS Laser
05-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Hey were is the guys that just want football players screw height/weight/speed!

BURGH86STEEL
05-02-2015, 09:02 PM

Slot CB's/3rd CB's are basically starters around 50+ percent of the time with the amount of 3rd and 4 WR's packages most offenses run.

Most of us know that the draft isn't an exact science. It's difficult for teams to know which players they should draft. MOST of the time teams and the experts don't get it right. All they have is a vision and expectations of how they think players will translate to the NFL and fit into the scheme/team. Most players drafted don't become solid contributors in until their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th seasons. It takes time for most players to get acclimated to the NFL for several reasons.

As with all draft picks it's a wait and see approach. If players don't work out then the team moves on without regret. The great thing about the NFL is that teams always have an opportunity to build, improve, or reinvent themselves from season to season.

steelblood
05-02-2015, 10:44 PM
It's because Kiper actually done his homework on the kid, unlike many on this board.

but, according to your mock, rollins should have been the pick.

steelblood
05-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Derelle Revis is 5'11"

This is a terrible argument. Revis is legitimately 3 inches taller and has arms that are 3 inches longer. He also weighs 25 pounds more and was a more explosive jumper. Trying to put them in the same zip code size-wise is complete insanity.

pittpete
05-02-2015, 11:24 PM
REvis is 2" taller......2" doesnt mean sh-t with these types of athlethes..
All you morons cry that we wasted a pick drafting a short CB....
Some of you are so dense its a shame..

Moonie
05-02-2015, 11:43 PM
REvis is 2" taller......2" doesnt mean sh-t with these types of athlethes..
All you morons cry that we wasted a pick drafting a short CB....
Some of you are so dense its a shame..

Most of the scouts and coaches in the league will disagree with you that 2" doesn't mean j-ck with these types of athletes. 2" can be the difference between a journeyman and all-Pro career in many sports. In fact, your argument is internally inconsistent. It's precisely because these athletes are of such extraordinary caliber and operating at such a high level, that 2" does matter.

fordfixer
05-02-2015, 11:51 PM
We should have kept Ike Taylor. He's 6' 2".

Don't you mean 62 :D

D Rock
05-02-2015, 11:51 PM
When WRs are getting bigger and bigger - 2" matters. It's the difference between just missing and deflecting a pass.

Clearly the dude was a ballhawk in college and the Steelers desperately need that. I think it is a good gamble to take - but 2" DOES matter, especially with the skill many (certainly not all) NFL QBs have at locating their passes.

lord_of_six_rings
05-03-2015, 12:36 AM
burgh86 - http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/reviewing-the-pick-cb-senquez-golson/
I think this sums it up well. I think some WANT to believe in the superiority of the Colbert regime but my criticism is based off what [I]they (rooney, colbert, tomlin, lake, ect. said after the season. They said they wanted to get some size in secondary, play makers, and stressed with the Ben deal that we have a limited window.... So with those parameters, I will analyze what they did and have the guts to call it out. Golshon maybe good and play like a corner (we already have - willy gay and had but let walk in mccain) - same w/ coates (even though Coach mann said he is RAW and ran a very basic offense / routes).

But the truth is colbert should have not sat on his hands. We had not mortgaged our picks and had little ammo. We had what the other teams had. We had in Rowe a talent they leaked to Pitt media as a rd one consideration. We had rd 1 for Williams and high on OT fisher. Now if you can secure a contributor w/ late rd 1 grades - Kevin do it. The pay rate was the rd 4-7 that you don't even have space for all them. If I told you before the draft you could get 2 first rd talents that plug your NEEDS (that you put out there and I agree) for a rd 1,2 and 5 and say 7 - do it! Especially when you know in exchange you got a 3-4th undersized Cb in the place and a WR that will be lucky to get 4-8 snaps a game.

Which leads me to the final smack down. No one is calling it out that Coates was a luxury pick. We are stacked there. We have lost no one in FA. This guy will be very limited in yr one according to WR coach himself due to his experience and auburn offense. So Kevin must think we are so well stocked in other spots as to draft a guy who realistically will probably be inactive and (if we are lucky) play the second half (w/ 4-8 snaps) like Martavius Bryant. I think those who only used the steelers regimes off season goals and identified weaknesses - shouldn't take any backseat to others who wanna only clap and cheer every selection. I think even if you want to sit and wait (colberts MO) then, how about a DE ( to get 10-20 snaps) to spell truit and heyward? How about a safety in case the shamarko experiment craps out due to more injuries or inability to cover tall TE's (ya know he still hasn't played a full year). Even the LT for munchak to groom so Beachum can slide inside like it seems you tip reporters about (next season)
You didn't deliver in this draft Mr Colbert in rd 2 and 3.
To be fair, his picks in the later seemed more in line based on need / BPA and I grade the rd 4- 7 as a B.

lord_of_six_rings
05-03-2015, 12:40 AM
pitt pete read the above article http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...enquez-golson/
Its not just height, but bend, and true height, jump, wingspan. He is in the lower half / bottom. Sorry the NFL has only bigger, stronger, and more athletic wideouts and that is the valid criticism of Golshon as the rd 2 pick.

Snatch98
05-03-2015, 01:07 AM
Yet Mcshay, Kiper and Mayock were all singing his praises. Carnell lake said he 'checks all the boxes". I like the pick and honestly don't understand why other people don't. Colbert is now on record saying if they traded up in the 2nd it was going to be for golson.

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2015, 01:36 AM
Colbert is now on record day ng if they traded up in the 2nd it was going to be for golson.

can you imagine Steelers message boards if Colbert had traded up in the 2nd round to draft a 5'8" CB?

Snatch98
05-03-2015, 01:43 AM
can you imagine Steelers message boards if Colbert had traded up in the 2nd round to draft a 5'8" CB?

Ha. I don't understand why people can't see this kids potential. He looks to have ridiculous hands for a corner. No don't care if he's 5'6 as long as he's forcing turnovers. I'd say considering the conference he went against plenty of taller wr's. The Alabama game being the most easily found evidence.

Captain Lemming
05-03-2015, 01:52 AM

That is after the fact spin. Do not believe it.
5.9 corners are not in high demand.
Colbert hates giving up picks and I see no way he was going to do it for a guy projected to go later than our actual pick.

He would do it only if he is pretty convinced if we wait we would lose him otherwise.

feltdizz
05-03-2015, 07:57 AM
10 ints last year..

Our team had 11.

Steel Life
05-03-2015, 08:46 AM
The only three players I would've considered at that spot (assuming no trading up) would've been -
- Quentin Rollins, who has the size/speed measurables but obviously the scouts didn't like as much;
- Ali Marpet, who could've been a rotational player at G or even C & then started next season with Foster's FA departure;
- Duke Johnson, don't like our depth at the spot & who knows if DeAngelo has anything left or if he sticks for more than a year.

JDSteeler
05-03-2015, 02:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there was a guy by the name of Darrell Green (Redskins) who played for 20yrs?, and
he was 5'9" in double-layered socks???

How many Pro Bowls did he get selected for, and is he a HoF'r??

Anybody got some more info on Green?

JD

steelers75
05-03-2015, 07:39 PM

Spreading your BS like fertilizer here too, I see.

pittpete
05-03-2015, 08:20 PM
pitt pete read the above article http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...enquez-golson/
Its not just height, but bend, and true height, jump, wingspan. He is in the lower half / bottom. Sorry the NFL has only bigger, stronger, and more athletic wideouts and that is the valid criticism of Golshon as the rd 2 pick.
No need to read it because he hasnt played a snap in the NFL yet..Im not convinced that 2" will make a big deal...
Cortez Allen is a perfect CB size according to some and he cant play the ball in the air.
Ike Taylor was usually in perfect position but rarely got a hand on the ball..Never mind an INT.
If you think every pass will be a jumpball in the NFL then id agree, but we all know thats not the case.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-03-2015, 08:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there was a guy by the name of Darrell Green (Redskins) who played for 20yrs?, and
he was 5'9" in double-layered socks???

How many Pro Bowls did he get selected for, and is he a HoF'r??

Anybody got some more info on Green?

JD

If Senquez comes anywhere close to being the player Darrell Green is, I will be ecstatic.

Steelers like their CBs to tackle the catch and be good in run support. Realistically, he's not getting any bigger or stouter. So can his body hold up for long? Maybe he will have no problems, but I think it as at least a legitimate reason for concern.

lord_of_six_rings
05-03-2015, 09:40 PM
JD -
If, I am not mistaken, the average WR is a couple inches taller and heavier than 20 plus years ago. Did you ever ponder how many 5'8 and 5'9 CB's have been around since Darrell Green and failed miserably?

(space for your eyes)
So should we clap for Colbert because his selection maybe the next "Darrell Green"? Should we always advocate the exception to make our point, instead of the probable?

(space for your eyes)
I think the market is a good indicator for the value of 5 8 1/2 CBs vs 5'11 and up CB's in the free agency market w/ similar resumes. It would be an interesting study for some of those number crunchers. But I would be putting my money w/ 7up that mo money is on height/ true height/ reach.

(space for your eyes
for the record - D Green could play in any era.

steelblood
05-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Yet Mcshay, Kiper and Mayock were all singing his praises. Carnell lake said he 'checks all the boxes". I like the pick and honestly don't understand why other people don't. Colbert is now on record saying if they traded up in the 2nd it was going to be for golson. Colbert also said before the draft that they would only draft BPA. And, after the draft, he said they went into the draft looking to take 6 defensive players and 2 offensive players. How the Heck can you reconcile these statements? What Colbert says about the draft is unreliable and self-serving. He lies.

Sugar
05-03-2015, 09:42 PM
If Senquez comes anywhere close to being the player Darrell Green is, I will be ecstatic.

Steelers like their CBs to tackle the catch and be good in run support. Realistically, he's not getting any bigger or stouter. So can his body hold up for long? Maybe he will have no problems, but I think it as at least a legitimate reason for concern.

Do we know that the Steelers still have that philosophy? I'm guessing that they probably do, but there is a new sheriff in town so I'm not sure what to expect.

Snatch98
05-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Watch his "tape" and I believe I just read an article on this very topic. He has ZERO issue making the tackles on muuuuch larger players. I'm talking tight ends and big running backs. He's a strong corner. I swear and this isn't a shot at you people do NOT do their own research before passing judgment. He's a small corner so everyone assumes he can't tackle but his game performance shows he has no issue with tackling. I will try and dig up the article.

Found it:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/steelers-2015-draft-picks-closer-look-at-senquez-golson/

lord_of_six_rings
05-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Thank you steel blood - BAM!

Colbert also said before the draft that they would only draft BPA. And, after the draft, he said they went into the draft looking to take 6 defensive players and 2 offensive players. How the Heck can you reconcile these statements?

That is what I have been saying about the picks in round 2 and 3!

Sugar
05-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Thank you steel blood - BAM!

Colbert also said before the draft that they would only draft BPA. And, after the draft, he said they went into the draft looking to take 6 defensive players and 2 offensive players. How the Heck can you reconcile these statements?

That is what I have been saying about the picks in round 2 and 3!

If you watch the press conference, he reconciles them during one of his answers.

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Watch his "tape" and I believe I just read an article on this very topic. He has ZERO issue making the tackles on muuuuch larger players. I'm talking tight ends and big running backs. He's a strong corner. I swear and this isn't a shot at you people do NOT do their own research before passing judgment. He's a small corner so everyone assumes he can't tackle but his game performance shows he has no issue with tackling. I will try and dig up the article.

I read somewhere that Golson missed ZERO tackles last season...

BradshawsHairdresser
05-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Do we know that the Steelers still have that philosophy? I'm guessing that they probably do, but there is a new sheriff in town so I'm not sure what to expect.

Good question. Maybe they've completely revamped their approach to D, and the days of the 7-yard cushion and DBs making a lot of tackles are gone.

Snatch98
05-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I read somewhere that Golson missed ZERO tackles last season...

Found it. I edited above.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/steelers-2015-draft-picks-closer-look-at-senquez-golson/

BradshawsHairdresser
05-03-2015, 09:56 PM
My concern is not so much that he can't make tackles as it is that his small frame will not hold up for long IF he has to make a lot of tackles. Overall, the bodies he's running into are going to be bigger and hit harder in the NFL than in college. Like I said, maybe he'll have no problems. But I'm concerned about it.

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Found it. I edited above.

great article, thanks for posting the link.

Golson has no problem tackling or covering guys much bigger than him...

Snatch98
05-03-2015, 10:25 PM
My concern is not so much that he can't make tackles as it is that his small frame will not hold up for long IF he has to make a lot of tackles. Overall, the bodies he's running into are going to be bigger and hit harder in the NFL than in college. Like I said, maybe he'll have no problems. But I'm concerned about it.

Seems like he made a college career out of bringing bigger bodies down.

Snatch98
05-03-2015, 10:26 PM
great article, thanks for posting the link.

Golson has no problem tackling or covering guys much bigger than him...

No problem. I was happy to find it earlier today. I love the pick. Hell I love the whole draft.

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2015, 10:52 PM
No problem. I was happy to find it earlier today. I love the pick. Hell I love the whole draft.

James C Wexell @jimwexell -

I liked this Steelers draft because I really like Senquez Golson.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

RobinCole
05-03-2015, 10:56 PM
IMO, the main prerequisites for a CB are agility and speed. You've got to cover the receiver first. If you can't, height is meaningless. It also helps to have good hands, especially if you're joining a team that has had trouble forcing turnovers. Tackling ability is also a great asset, whether it's after the catch or coming up on run support.

Yes, WRs and TEs are getting taller and heavier but there are practical limits to how big CBs can get to match up with them. If you want agility and speed you have to sacrifice height and weight.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Seems like he made a college career out of bringing bigger bodies down.
Yup. We'll see if he can make an NFL career out of bringing even bigger, faster bodies down. I hope he can.

SteelCrazy
05-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Senquez Golson strikes me as one of those guys that is going to succeed despite critics. He is a 2 sport star and could very easily change sports if he so desires. Does that translate to success, no it doesnt. What it tells me though is heres a guy that is very athletic and agile. Also, you dont have to watch very much footage to see how competitive he is on the field. Its still a waiting game to see if he will be a very good player or an average player, but I'm confident he'll be around for several years, barring injury of course.

SS Laser
05-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Senquez Golson strikes me as one of those guys that is going to succeed despite critics. He is a 2 sport star and could very easily change sports if he so desires. Does that translate to success, no it doesnt. What it tells me though is heres a guy that is very athletic and agile. Also, you dont have to watch very much footage to see how competitive he is on the field. Its still a waiting game to see if he will be a very good player or an average player, but I'm confident he'll be around for several years, barring injury of course. I am to lazy because my point will fall on deaf ears. But go look up a picture of A. Blake. For his "size" he is a brick sh*t house! I think Golson can add some beef and keep his speed and agility. Needs to be 190'ish like McCain and Blake. Plenty of 200lb'ish RB take a major pounding in the nfl and do alright. Also McCain was 5'9" and was a 6th rd pick with no were near the college career as Golson. Plus McCain's new contract is not a bad one for a 5'9" CB. :) Also I think McCain and Blake have changed the way the Steelers look at CB's. Shark may have helped that also even with his limited play? Maybe even DL being gone helps that also. I will even go out and say he will see significant snaps this season as a rookie he will be that good. Also were are all the posters on here that want FOOTBALL players damn the height /weight /speed! Well there are a few in this draft.

Shawn
05-04-2015, 07:43 AM
but, according to your mock, rollins should have been the pick. Actually no. Many "experts" had Golson dropping to the 4-5 range. I made my mock accordingly with the note that Golson was the most underrated DB in the draft based upon those predictions. But, nice try.

Shawn
05-04-2015, 07:45 AM
James C Wexell @jimwexell -

I liked this Steelers draft because I really like Senquez Golson.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell And that's because Wexell is one of the few good ones.

Sword
05-04-2015, 07:59 AM
no panic pick...did you see how much clock time they used?

Oviedo
05-04-2015, 08:21 AM
no panic pick...did you see how much clock time they used?

I laugh every time some idiot complains about not using all the time. Do they really think that another team calls with an offer with 2 minutes and 30 seconds left on the clock? Do they really think you can work through the details of a trade in that amount of time and notify the NFL? Plain stupid thinking.

If the player you want is there why would you wait?

feltdizz
05-04-2015, 08:28 AM

I could see if he played in the MAC or Big Sky 12 but he played in the SEC.

That's as close to the NFL as you are going to get (well, except for Ohio States big azzz RB that Bama was scared to tackle)

K Train
05-04-2015, 08:54 AM
I laugh every time some idiot complains about not using all the time. Do they really think that another team calls with an offer with 2 minutes and 30 seconds left on the clock? Do they really think you can work through the details of a trade in that amount of time and notify the NFL? Plain stupid thinking.

Exactly...the decastro pick seemed like they shot it out of a cannon to the podium

phillyesq
05-04-2015, 09:12 AM

I bet you wish they used a bit more time on the clock before taking Jarvis Jones. ;)

Oviedo
05-04-2015, 09:20 AM
I bet you wish they used a bit more time on the clock before taking Jarvis Jones. ;)

We'll see this year. However, I'll place my hopes on Dupree going forward to get the pass rush we need.

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2015, 01:45 AM
The 2015 NFL Draft, the Steelers and the Myth of "Best Player Available"

By Mike Frazer on May 4, 2015

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/dQM7py2_oQsz6q-QxkEM1r-CufE=/0x174:3665x2617/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46270694/usa-today-8135400.0.jpg

Anyone who believes Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert is a strict adherent to the "Best Player Available" philosophy need look no further than the 2015 NFL Draft for ample evidence to the contrary.

It's not that this wasn't a good draft for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In fact, I would grade it a solid B-plus. I like most of the picks, and even Anthony Chickillo in the sixth round is growing on me.

It's possible that general manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin felt the players they drafted truly were the best players available, but I doubt that. In my eyes they were not the best players available.

They were the best value available, and value is found at the intersection of need and availability, not best pure player or athlete.

Coming into the draft, the Steelers' biggest needs were edge rusher and cornerback. Behind that were rising needs at tight end, defensive line and safety. Last on the shopping needs list was a lack of depth at wide receiver.

The Steelers draft haul consisted of two edge rushers (Bud Dupree, Chickillo), two corners (Senquez Golson, Doran Grant), a tight end (Jesse James), a defensive lineman (Letarrius Walton) and a safety (Gerod Holliman). They also grabbed a potential future slot receiver in Sammie Coates.

Tell me again that this wasn't all about need.

In fact, they addressed those needs almost in the exact order of perceived priority.

They grabbed Dupree in round one to help fix a pass rush that managed all of 33 sacks in 2014, down from a recent high of 51 in 2008. Their sack totals have been on the decline since then, when they won Super Bowl XLIII. Dupree will also be counted on to help shore up a run defense that was bitten by regular failures to set the edge on the strong side.

Golson was picked up to play, primarily, the slot-corner position, and to be the ball-hawking type of player the team has been missing. His 10 interceptions in 2014 were one fewer than the Steelers managed as a team last year. Grant will be looked upon to fill more of an outside-corner role in the near future, as it is not expected that the Steelers will return both of 2015's projected starters at cornerback.

After picking Dupree, Golson, Coates and Grant in the first four rounds, many were beginning to predict with great accuracy where the Steelers would go next, because it was obvious they were essentially checking items off a list rather than targeting specific players.

That's a good, good thing.

If you want to know the cost of keying in on a single player, ask teams like the San Francisco 49ers or the Baltimore Ravens what they had to give up to move up just a few spots to draft "that guy". Both gave up multiple picks, as did other teams, to draft a single player. They may turn out to be worth more than the price, and then again they may not. The same is true for every pick the Steelers made, but the cost of each was less, because they only required a single pick. The break-even on each of those picks is lower in comparison.

There were players still on the board at each of the Steelers' picks who were, arguably, "better". But the value wasn't there. Shane Ray went one pick after Dupree, but Ray doesn't fit the mold of the edge rusher the Steelers needed. Golson was selected despite several corners still available who were taller and bigger, but Pittsburgh didn't want "big bodies". They wanted a playmaker. They got the guys who offered the best value in their current system, rather than selecting supremely talented, or athletically gifted, players who would struggle to fit in. That idea didn't exactly pan out for them several years ago when they selected Ziggy Hood, who was a pure 4-3 player they tried to shoehorn into a 3-4 defense.

So, next year when Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin again try to sell the idea that they will draft the best player available, remember 2015. And remember that Kevin Colbert could sell a lawnmower to an apartment dweller in lower Manhattan.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/5/4/8545591/the-2015-nfl-draft-the-steelers-and-the-myth-of-best-player-available

papillon
05-05-2015, 06:13 AM
There is also a drafting angle known as the "Best player available at a position of need" and maybe the Steelers did this and maybe they didn't, it appears that they did. There is also no quantifiable way to determine if there were actually "better" players available when they selected Golson, Coates and Grant. If you're getting players that believe will help you win games and you're not giving up draft picks to get them, then the organization is being successful. I can't even begin to tell you how much I hope this Golson kid blows up the NFL, if for no other reason than to quiet all of the background noise about his height and how the Steelers didn't do this or do that type of drafting.

Maybe, just maybe, Colbert and Tomlin have the same flexibility in drafting that they look for in players, maybe. There's more than one to skin a cat, so to speak.

Pappy

phillyesq
05-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Colbert said that the second day of the draft was largely about filling needs and filling holes on the roster. He mentioned the returning number of players from last year and the limited spots, and said you had to consider how the picks fit on the roster.

I'm fine with the idea of BPA at a position of need, particularly later on. I think it can burn you in the early rounds if you take strictly need picks and end up reaching (ala Troy Edwards), but it makes sense later on.

With all that said, I think that Dupree really was BPA at 22. Malcolm Brown or Perriman are probably the guys who would be closest to being considered BPA, but I'd rather have Dupree.

feltdizz
05-05-2015, 10:54 AM
There is also a drafting angle known as the "Best player available at a position of need" and maybe the Steelers did this and maybe they didn't, it appears that they did. There is also no quantifiable way to determine if there were actually "better" players available when they selected Golson, Coates and Grant. If you're getting players that believe will help you win games and you're not giving up draft picks to get them, then the organization is being successful. I can't even begin to tell you how much I hope this Golson kid blows up the NFL, if for no other reason than to quiet all of the background noise about his height and how the Steelers didn't do this or do that type of drafting.

Maybe, just maybe, Colbert and Tomlin have the same flexibility in drafting that they look for in players, maybe. There's more than one to skin a cat, so to speak.

Pappy

Golson is one of those players who ALWAYS finds a way to get his hands on a ball.

papillon
05-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Golson is one of those players who ALWAYS finds a way to get his hands on a ball.

Which is a step in the right direction and based on some of the highlights I've seen he catches like receiver. I'm excited to see him on the field to see what he can do. The Steelers haven't had a ball hawk in so long I forget what its like to actually expect a CB to catch a pass.

Pappy

phillyesq
05-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Nice breakdown by Wexell of the picks, including analysis of need v BPA:

http://pit.scout.com/story/1544018-steelers-walked-a-fine-line-in-draft?s=68

feltdizz
05-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Which is a step in the right direction and based on some of the highlights I've seen he catches like receiver. I'm excited to see him on the field to see what he can do. The Steelers haven't had a ball hawk in so long I forget what its like to actually expect a CB to catch a pass.

Pappy

Every once and a while you find a DB who is ALWAYS around the football. Anytime it bounces or gets tipped that guy is always there to catch it, Golson is one of those guys.

K Train
05-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Panic is a silly way to describe it considering how many corners were on the board...they took the one they liked the best.

Gun to my head our draft would have been Shane Ray, Randy Gregory, and Josh Shaw through day 2.....but i love rush backers lol

squidkid
05-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Colbert said that the second day of the draft was largely about filling needs and filling holes on the roster. He mentioned the returning number of players from last year and the limited spots, and said you had to consider how the picks fit on the roster.

I'm fine with the idea of BPA at a position of need, particularly later on. I think it can burn you in the early rounds if you take strictly need picks and end up reaching (ala Troy Edwards), but it makes sense later on.

With all that said, I think that Dupree really was BPA at 22. Malcolm Brown or Perriman are probably the guys who would be closest to being considered BPA, but I'd rather have Dupree.

for whatever reason, fans of the steelers want to wear the BPA draft philosophy like a badge of honor. they are told thats how the steelers draft and will defend it until death when common sense shows need was taken into consideration.
the spin of taking BPA in an area of need is no different than every other teams draft philosophy in the league
i think BPA in a need area with an occasional wft pick is ours and about everyone elses draft strategy.

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2015, 03:21 PM
If there is a significant difference in the grades of the top prospects on the board, then you take the BPA. For example, a 7.30 rated player would trump a 7.10 player regardless of position.

If the players still available are rated pretty much evenly, then you take the player at the position of greater need. For example, if have a big need at WR but are relatively set at OT, you might take a WR with 6.88 grade over a OT with a 6.89 grade.

There are also times when you look at the depth of the position in the overall draft pool. If you have needs at both FS and TE and are struggling to decide whether to take a FS with a 6.35 grade and a TE with a 6.35 grade, you'd probably draft the TE if the next best TE on your board had a 5.90 grade while there were still other FS out there with 6.30, 6.25, and 6.15 grades.

Anyone that would just blindly taking the next highest rated player on the board no matter what would be an idiot. You could end up with RB's as 4 of your first 5 picks doing that, even if you already had an All-Pro RB on your team.

AzStillers1989
05-05-2015, 05:39 PM
Am I the only one who reads the title of this post as "Picnic Pick"???!!?!!,

Slapstick
05-05-2015, 06:12 PM
If there is a significant difference in the grades of the top prospects on the board, then you take the BPA. For example, a 7.30 rated player would trump a 7.10 player regardless of position.

If the players still available are rated pretty much evenly, then you take the player at the position of greater need. For example, if have a big need at WR but are relatively set at OT, you might take a WR with 6.88 grade over a OT with a 6.89 grade.

There are also times when you look at the depth of the position in the overall draft pool. If you have needs at both FS and TE and are struggling to decide whether to take a FS with a 6.35 grade and a TE with a 6.35 grade, you'd probably draft the TE if the next best TE on your board had a 5.90 grade while there were still other FS out there with 6.30, 6.25, and 6.15 grades.

Anyone that would just blindly taking the next highest rated player on the board no matter what would be an idiot. You could end up with RB's as 4 of your first 5 picks doing that, even if you already had an All-Pro RB on your team.

I think that selecting the best player available does not preclude common sense...

With that in mind, I have no trouble believing that Dupree was the highest rated player on the draft board.

Same with Shazier, picked over Dennard, a greater "need"...

The same with Jarvis Jones...

The same with David DeCastro...

You saw the pattern here...you wrote the post I'm quoting!

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Am I the only one who reads the title of this post as "Picnic Pick"???!!?!!,

Near where I live, you pass a highway sign for a town named "Scotrun"... Drive past that sign at 70 mph and tell me what you read. ;)

steelblood
05-05-2015, 10:43 PM
If you watch the press conference, he reconciles them during one of his answers.

Nah, he is just covering his posterior. He is full of crap this time of year like every other GM.

that said, I like
this draft overall. With good coaching, it could turn out to be a great one,

papillon
05-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Near where I live, you pass a highway sign for a town named "Scotrun"... Drive past that sign at 70 mph and tell me what you read. ;)

:D

We live near Intercourse, Bird-in-Hand and Blue Ball.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2015, 10:16 AM
:D

We live near Intercourse, Bird-in-Hand and Blue Ball.

Pappy

I hate it when plans are made to go to Intercourse, but then a change of direction is made and I end up in Blue Ball instead. :???:

feltdizz
05-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Nah, he is just covering his posterior. He is full of crap this time of year like every other GM.

that said, I like
this draft overall. With good coaching, it could turn out to be a great one,

smh... these guys are paid to say the right things, not sure why people need to point out that it's crap.

it's one of the reasons I hate press conferences. if you say exactly how you feel the same people rip the GM for being a douche who shat on his own draft picks and threw them under the bus.

papillon
05-06-2015, 12:04 PM
I hate it when plans are made to go to Intercourse, but then a change of direction is made and I end up in Blue Ball instead. :???:

And, you probably end up with Bird-in-Hand. :oops::Cheers

Pappy

Slapstick
05-06-2015, 12:39 PM
I guess Bird-in-Hand is a preferable destination to Blue Ball...

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2015, 03:28 PM
http://prod.images.steelers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/STEELERS/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/clubimages/2015/05-May/temp2015_RMC_0508kr_0285--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

http://prod.images.steelers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/STEELERS/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/clubimages/2015/05-May/temp2015_RMC_0508kr_0700--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

hawaiiansteel
05-10-2015, 02:38 AM
Golson: 'I could play football every day'

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2015-Photos/2015_Article/05_May/Golson_05082015_Article_2.jpg

CB Senquez Golson has a true passion for playing football.

Coming out of high school, Senquez Golson took a gamble. He was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the eighth round of the Major League Baseball Draft and offered over a $1 million signing bonus. What would most high school students do with that kind of money in front of them? They would likely jump at the offer. What did Golson do? He said no thank you.

Instead of heading off to the minors to work on his craft, with the potential of one day playing at Fenway Park, he went to Ole Miss to still pursue baseball, but other dreams as well.

It paid off. Golson, a cornerback at Ole Miss, was drafted by the Steelers in the second round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

“I took a million dollar gamble to go to school, play football, play baseball and get an education,” said Golson. “It was not about the money, but to go in the second round and be selected by the Steelers, it’s a blessing, doing what I love to do. I took a gamble and came out with something extra.

“I have never regretted turning down that money. I wanted to play football. This is what I love to do. Football is what I love to do.”

Golson played one season of college baseball at Ole Miss, and it was that season that convinced him football was the right choice.

“My deciding factor not to play came when I asked myself what I could see me doing every day,” said Golson. “We played 50 some games in college baseball and after 40 of them I was getting tired and that didn’t include postseason play. Then you go minors and pros and it’s 100 plus games you play. I didn’t think I was passionate enough for it.

“Football, I could play year round, I could play football every day. There is something about football that I love. Football is a passion that burns in me.”

That being said, he is in a city where football is definitely something people are passionate about. From the moment Coach Mike Tomlin called him on the second night of the draft saying, “We are going to take you right here,” to Hall of Fame cornerback Mel Blount announcing his selection on the stage at the draft in Chicago, he felt the passion Pittsburgh has for the Steelers.

“The fans are wild,” said Golson, who admitted his father Anthony Golson is a Green Bay Packers fan who soon will be converted to a Steelers fan. “They are passionate about their players. They are passionate about football. You can’t ask for a better city, a better football town. I’m glad to be with such a great organization like the Steelers.”

Golson played four seasons for the Ole Miss Rebels, finishing his career with 136 tackles and 16 interceptions, third-most in school history. He had 10 interceptions his senior season and was a unanimous first-team All-America selection and one of the five finalists for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy for the nation’s top collegiate defensive back.

“That’s my biggest thing. I just like to make plays,” said Golson. “I just like to put that ball into the quarterback’s hands as many times as I can. That’s my mind set as a defensive player.”

The one knock people have given Golson is his size. At 5-9, 176, it can be a difficult matchup going against some of the bigger receivers in the game, but it doesn’t faze Golson. While he knows covering bigger receivers is something he needs to work on, he also knows it’s something he can handle.

“It just takes some work,” said Golson. “Once I get a feel for a guy and know what I need to do to go after bigger receivers, I don’t think that I will have a problem with it. I’ve guarded a lot of the big receivers in the past.

“I don’t work just to prove people wrong. I work for my potential. I know that I’ve got a lot of room to improve in some areas. I think that is what drives me. Just knowing that I can be better. I’m just going to show everybody that I can play.”

Golson is getting his first taste of the NFL this weekend at the Steelers rookie minicamp, a three day process that introduces them to the Steelers and the playbook without veterans present.

“I am just ready to dig into that playbook and get started,” said Golson. “It’s been a while since I have been on the field playing and practicing. The playbook will take time. Everything takes time. I think I will learn it over time. I have to figure a couple of ways to learn it fast, I will ask questions, I will make mistakes. I just have to get it right in the end.

“I am ready to work on this craft. Ready to get better.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Golson-I-could-play-football-every-day/bd12dc26-790a-45d4-af02-c104e52f0e86

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-10-2015, 09:13 AM
And, you probably end up with Bird-in-Hand. :oops::Cheers

Pappy

I think that this is the one time that you'd prefer two in the bush. :D

Shawn
05-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Golson is about to become a fan favorite. Just have that feeling about the kid.

Slapstick
05-11-2015, 12:39 PM

That would be awesome.

If Golson, Doran Grant and Holliman can become players, wow...

If Allen gets his mojo back?

If Shamarko Thomas can make any kind of positive impact?

Look out...

That's a crapton of ifs, though...

feltdizz
05-11-2015, 12:46 PM

He reminds me of myself... lol. Not bragging but I was usually the shortest guy in our backfield but I played baseball, football and basketball with my older cousins at a yound age and knew how to navigate among the trees.

We had a football camp up in Edinboro with all the HS teams from western PA. I was the smallest guy there and our DB's were getting torched by a AAAA High School, we were AA.They put me in and I picked off a pass to the 6' 5" TE on the 2nd play. I was 5'7" and 120 soaking wet. I didnt outjump him, I just timed my jump like I used to do in pick up games with grown men.

Golson isnt going to outjump anyone but he knows how to time his jump to where a WR will be on his way down before securing the ball and he will rip it away. You dont play in the mighty SEC and get 10 INTs by luck. This guy knows what he is doing.

phillyesq
05-11-2015, 12:47 PM
That would be awesome.

If Golson, Doran Grant and Holliman can become players, wow...

If Allen gets his mojo back?

If Shamarko Thomas can make any kind of positive impact?

Look out...

That's a crapton of ifs, though...

It certainly is. But if you have Cortez Allen become a league average corner, Golson become a player, Grant become a reliable 4th corner, with some combination of Thomas, Holliman and Mitchell providing solid safety play with the occasional turnover, you are well ahead of where you were.

Northern_Blitz
05-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Crazy that he turned down $1M after high school. I can't imagine too many people would do that.

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2015, 09:53 PM
http://nflteamcfimg.mo2do.net/s/imgcache?url=http%3A%2F%2Fprod.images.steelers.clu bs.nflcdn.com%3A80%2Fimage-web%2FNFL%2FCDA%2Fdata%2Fdeployed%2Fprod%2FSTEELER S%2Fassets%2Fimages%2Fimported%2FPIT%2Fphotos%2Fcl ubimages%2F2015%2F05-May%2Ftemp2015_RMC_0509kr_0008--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg%3Fwidth%3D580%26height%3D10 00&cdnDevice=Google+Nexus10

I hope Golson was excused for this drill. ;)

steelblood
05-11-2015, 10:11 PM
smh... these guys are paid to say the right things, not sure why people need to point out that it's crap.

it's one of the reasons I hate press conferences. if you say exactly how you feel the same people rip the GM for being a douche who shat on his own draft picks and threw them under the bus.
Get off your soap box.

Colbert called out other GMs for putting out misinformation. And, while he may not do it to the same degree, he totally contradicts himself and lies too this time of year. He deserves being called out.

You can say that you "hate press conferences." But, I can't point out WHY I hate them without you shaking your head at me?

fordfixer
05-11-2015, 10:21 PM
http://nflteamcfimg.mo2do.net/s/imgcache?url=http%3A%2F%2Fprod.images.steelers.clu bs.nflcdn.com%3A80%2Fimage-web%2FNFL%2FCDA%2Fdata%2Fdeployed%2Fprod%2FSTEELER S%2Fassets%2Fimages%2Fimported%2FPIT%2Fphotos%2Fcl ubimages%2F2015%2F05-May%2Ftemp2015_RMC_0509kr_0008--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg%3Fwidth%3D580%26height%3D10 00&cdnDevice=Google+Nexus10

He would probably end up with two Birds-in-Hand :-(

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Why would he be excused. He could walk right under these hurdles without even ducking. :D

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Asked and Answered: May 14

Posted 9 hours ago

Bob Labriola Steelers.com

Another installment of Bob Labriola answering your questions about the Steelers and the NFL.

Let’s get to it:

H.C. PETLEY FROM CORTEZ, CO:
You keep touting Senquez Golson at cornerback, yet you never have seen him play. Look at the top cornerbacks in the league, and Golson does not match up. Richard Sherman is 6-foot-3, and all the top cornerbacks are far taller and heavier. Mel Blount was 6-3 and over 200 pounds. Cornerbacks have to stop the run as well as break-up or intercept passes. Can Golson stop Marshawn Lynch? How do you figure Senquez Golson is a major player?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I happen to like watching SEC football, there is an SEC game on every Saturday at 3:30 p.m. EST, and Mississippi was on a bunch of times last season by virtue of a 9-4 record that included a victory over Alabama, a victory that was clinched via an interception by Senquez Golson. I did see Golson play in college, but I’m not going to claim I studied him on video, or anything. Then, “all of the top cornerbacks are far taller and heavier,” you state. The following is a complete list of every defensive back who received even one vote for the 2014 Associated Press NFL All-Pro team, along with their heights: Sherman is 6-3, Darrelle Revis is 5-11, Earl Thomas is 5-10, Eric Weddle is 5-11, Chris Harris is 5-10, Brent Grimes is 5-10, Vontae Davis is 5-11, Aqib Talib is 6-1, and Joe Haden is 5-11. So in fact, NOT every top cornerback or safety is “far taller” than Golson’s 5-9. Can Golson stop Marshawn Lynch? Don’t know? Could Sherman? Which defensive back on any NFL team is going to have an easy time of it trying to tackle Marshawn Lynch? I get it, you’re not interested in a membership to the Senquez Golson Fan Club, but the animosity toward a player before he’s so much as lined up for a single training camp practice is difficult to understand. As for me, I want to wait and watch him play in pads a little bit before making a judgment one way or the other, and in advance of some actual visual evidence I’m willing to be open to the possibility that height isn’t the single most important characteristic for a cornerback to have. Based on your question/statement, you are not so willing. By the way, Troy Polamalu is 5-10.

JIM ZAWATSKI FROM PITTSBURGH, PA:
Seems like there's healthy competition for backup/practice squad spots at most positions with the influx of draft picks and undrafted free agents, but not so much so at running back and along the defensive line. Do you get the sense that management is comfortable with using a Dri Archer/Will Johnson emergency tailback combo, or having Cam Thomas and either Clifton Geathers or L.T. Walton taking the field at the same time if necessary?

What I don’t think is that management is finished tinkering with the roster. I don’t believe the Steelers necessarily are content to pick their 53 from the pool of players currently on the roster, even though there is an understanding that at this point – following the draft, the signing of around a dozen undrafted free agents per team, and rookie/tryout minicamp – the available talent largely has been picked over. Specifically at running back, my guess is the Steelers first will see what Josh Harris, Ross Scheuerman, and Cameron Stingily have going for them in the battle for the No. 3 job behind Le’Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams. Maybe they like what they see from one of them, and if they don’t there’s always the waiver wire when all of the other 31 teams have to cut their rosters down to 53. As for the situation along the defensive line, there are four spots taken by Steve McLendon, Daniel McCullers, Stephon Tuitt, and Cam Heyward. If the Steelers open the 2015 season as they did in 2014 – with six defensive linemen – that would mean Cam Thomas, Clifton Geathers, Ethan Hemer, L.T. Walton, Mike Thornton, Joe Kruger, Niko Davis, and Matt Conrath would be competing for the final two spots. Neither situation might be considered ideal, but every team has concerns along the lower rungs of its depth chart.

ZACHARY KELSEY FROM CRAFTON, PA:
Even with drafting Senquez Golson, Doran Grant, and Gerod Holliman, do you still see the secondary as being the biggest question mark? Can you see taking a flier on D.J. Swearinger to see if a change of system and coaching would help him, or even trying to make a move to sign Kyle Arrington to fortify the secondary? Or in your opinion should they throw the rookies onto the field and let them sink or swim, so to speak?

The secondary remains a question mark, not only for the unknown surrounding the three rookie draft picks you mention, but also because Shamarko Thomas and Cortez Allen have to considered question marks as well. I can tell you the Steelers monitor the waiver wire daily and make decisions on every name appearing on it. D.J. Swearinger was a No. 2 draft pick by the Houston Texans in 2013, the 57th overall pick, and he had been a starter in 2014. Swearinger is a tough, in-the-box safety who has a bit of a reputation as being mouthy and likely wore out his welcome with Coach Bill O’Brien, who hadn’t drafted Swearinger. But because Swearinger isn’t a vested veteran yet, he was subject to a waiver claim, and since the time you submitted your question he was claimed by Tampa Bay, which has first choice on all waiver claims by virtue of its 2-14 record last season. Kyle Arrington is an older defensive back who doesn’t run well anymore, and the Steelers are looking to get younger and faster in the secondary. It’s unlikely any good defensive backs will be coming free at this stage of an offseason, but the Steelers will remain open-minded.

BILL PRESTON FROM SPRING HILL, FL:
Now that Ed Reed has retired do you think he will be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame before Troy Polamalu? Selection of two safeties in the same year would surely never happen even though they are probably the two best safeties in the past decade.

To me, it’s going to be very interesting to see how the Hall of Fame Board of Selectors handles these two players once they become eligible. The last pure safety to be enshrined in Canton was Paul Krause, still the NFL’s all-time leader in interceptions with 81. Krause became eligible in 1985 and was inducted in 1998. It’s rare for the voters to include two players from the same position in any class, and so I agree with your assessment that Reed and Polamalu being elected in the same year is remote.

DEVON MAIDA FROM WALDWICK, NJ:
Will Le’Veon Bell's suspension be shortened by at least a game?

No idea. And it certainly has taken a long time for the appeal process to conclude. Why it’s taking so long is a mystery.

SEAN ECKENROD FROM FROSTBURG, MD:
Another day, another question but I'm feeling confident this one makes it. Why wasn't last year’s draft pick Jordan Zumwalt at rookie minicamp? I saw that Rob Blanchflower was there.

According to the way the NFL defines accrued seasons, Jordan Zumwalt – as someone who was placed on injured reserve as a rookie – is categorized differently than Rob Blanchflower, a rookie who spent the season on the practice squad. Based on that, Zumwalt earned an accrued season toward free agency and his pension, while Blanchflower did not. That’s why Blanchflower was eligible for rookie minicamp but Zumwalt was not.

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-1/Asked-and-Answered-May-14/3997387c-15a1-40b1-9633-da43882135f4