PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' defense gets younger with Bud Dupree

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Steelers' defense gets younger with Bud Dupree

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: April 30, 2015

The Steelers made it crystal clear before the draft that outside linebacker was a primary need heading into the 2015 NFL Draft.

Pittsburgh found their man on Thursday with the No. 22 overall selection, adding Kentucky's Bud Dupree to a position group left hollow after the surprising retirement of Jason Worilds.

The 6-foot-4, 269-pound Dupree gives the Steelers a freakish athlete who reminds NFL Media's Lance Zierlein of New England's Jamie Collins.

Still something of a raw product, Dupree's instincts have drawn criticism from some scouts, but the newest Steelers defender also showed an ability to dominate linemen and take down passers with explosive closing speed.

The former basketball player is an intriguing fit for Pittsburgh's defense, which will take on a different look after watching safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Ike Taylor hang up the cleats.

After filling their pass-rushing void, the Steelers are a lock to address their secondary in the coming rounds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000489451/article/steelers-defense-gets-younger-with-bud-dupree

BradshawsHairdresser
05-01-2015, 12:02 AM
After filling their pass-rushing void, the Steelers are a lock to address their secondary in the coming rounds.

I just hope they don't wait until the 5th round or later (again) to go after a CB.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Getting excited about Bud Dupree

By Mike Prisuta

The fact he played in a two-point stance in college should help Dupree's transition to the NFL.

Why you should be excited about Bud Dupree:

* He’s 6-foot-4 and 269 pounds and has excelled as an edge rusher.

* He “stood up” and “played on his feet,” as Coach Mike Tomlin observed, a reference to Dupree playing outside linebacker as a senior at Kentucky after previously having played as a hand-on-the-ground defensive end. He’s ahead of the curve in transitioning to a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL because he already has played the position.

* Scouting jargon published about Dupree prior to the draft included the following descriptive observations: “Flexible athlete with natural bend … low pad level …impressive upper- and lower-body bulk … rubber ankles and loose hips,” and “twitchy first step.” That’s all good stuff.

* He started 10 games as a senior and registered 74 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, and 7.5 sacks, which pushed his career sacks total to 23.5, second all-time at Kentucky.

* The Steelers were surprised and “excited,” according to General Manager Kevin Colbert, to find Dupree available at No. 22 overall. “Quite honestly this was something we didn’t expect to happen,” Colbert said. “This is a gift for us.”

* Dupree was a two-sport athlete in high school and led his basketball team to a state championship in 2010.

* Dupree was assessed by Colbert as “very humble,” and as a player with no character red flags.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Getting-excited-about-Bud-Dupree/535f6020-ceaf-4e69-b766-b56d790d761f

SidSmythe
05-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Great Pick

Shoe
05-01-2015, 12:31 AM
* Dupree was assessed by Colbert as “very humble,” and as a player with no character red flags.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Getting-excited-about-Bud-Dupree/535f6020-ceaf-4e69-b766-b56d790d761f

Not to say I don't appreciate nice, humble guys... but I don't see this as a positive characteristics in this scenario. You really need a healthy dose of crazy, to play LB in this league. You need a little bit of dirty, feisty, nasty. You don't need choir boys.

I'm hoping he becomes a Clark Haggans level player for us.

Snatch98
05-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Not to say I don't appreciate nice, humble guys... but I don't see this as a positive characteristics in this scenario. You really need a healthy dose of crazy, to play LB in this league. You need a little bit of dirty, feisty, nasty. You don't need choir boys.

He is a MUCH better athlete than Haggans. He's a freak. A raw freak but still a freak.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2015, 12:38 AM

I'm hoping he becomes a Jevon Kearse level player for us.

DBR96A
05-01-2015, 12:42 AM
Steelers' defense gets younger with Bud Dupree

No ****, he's 22 years old. What a stupid headline. :HeadBanger

Captain Lemming
05-01-2015, 12:43 AM
I'm hoping he becomes a Jevon Kearse level player for us.

Kearse is EXACTLY the player that comes to mind.
Also not exactly a sack monster in college with insane measurables.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2015, 12:43 AM
STEELERS BEAMING ABOUT DUPREE

Apr 30, 2015
Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

http://imgix.scout.com/150/1500112.jpg?w=600&h=360&fit=max

A top-10 talent, Alvin "Bud" Dupree, fell to the Steelers at pick 22 to fill an opening on the defensive depth chart.

PITTSBURGH -- General Manager Kevin Colbert spoke the other day about the deep outside linebacker crop and how several of them are impact players.

Colbert and the Pittsburgh Steelers believe they grabbed one of those impact players in the first round Thursday night when they drafted Alvin "Bud" Dupree, a 6-4, 269-pound defensive end/outside linebacker from the University of Kentucky.

"This is a gift for us," said a beaming Colbert.

Dupree was one of the standouts at the Combine where he ran a 4.56 40 and had a vertical jump of 42 inches. He was called a top-10 athlete by most draft experts because, as Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, "He's really a unique animal."

Both Tomlin and Colbert cited Dupree's versatility at Kentucky, where he moved into the starting lineup late in his freshman season. He then started the next three years and recorded 23.5 career sacks, 7.5 last season.

Dupree has fluid hips and can cover, and at 269 pounds can hold the point in the run game, and should be able to help the Steelers this season as an end in their nickel front.

Tomlin said that Dupree will line up this spring on the left -- or strong -- side, where they hope to groom him to one day start opposite 2013 first-round pick Jarvis Jones. Arthur Moats is currently the starter on the Steelers' left side, but perhaps not for long if Dupree lives up to his physical potential.

"Very athletic, very strong, played in a defense similar to ours," said Colbert. "He stood up. Very strong against the run. He's certainly a good pass-rusher, can mix power and speed. And he can cover. So it's real exciting that he was able to be there for us at 22. Quite honestly that was something we didn't expect."

"I think versatility is something that should be highlighted," said Tomlin. "He's done a lot for that defense over the course of the last four years. He's been an edge rusher. He's played in space. He's played stack linebacker. Just a very versatile and smart athlete. We had an opportunity to take him to dinner the night before his pro day. Good conversation with him. You could characterize him as a football junkie, a football historian, and obviously that's attractive as well. We're excited about having him."

Following is a sampling of what some of the media scouts had to say about Dupree:

* "I'm not sure he's all there instinctually," one NFL scout told Nolan Nawrocki. "But he's too big and too fast and too strong and productive to last very long in the draft."

* "Dupree has the explosiveness, power, length and fundamentals to be a strong contributor and difference maker on all three downs," wrote Kyle Crabbs, who had Dupree ranked the No. 1 edge player for NDT Scouting. "Special combination of size/explosiveness; a future impact player."

* "Dupree has a natural feel for the rush lanes," wrote Scout.com's Dave-Te' Thomas. "He has the hip flexibility to turn quickly and the knee bend to redirect. He shows good body control and a relentless motor in backside pursuit and consistently pressures the pocket. He does not have the bulk to push the blocker into the quarterback, but has a great forward burst of speed."

Dupree writes the same word on his wrist tape before every football practice: Savage.

“We’ve got to play with that mentality,” Dupree has said. “A savage will do anything to get what they want.”

It all left Colbert smiling as it he were in a dream.

"It was a very easy selection," Colbert said.

http://pit.scout.com/story/1542724-steelers-beaming-about-dupree?s=68

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2015, 01:42 AM
https://usatsteelerswire.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/dupree_hero.jpg?w=665&h=420&crop=1

Oviedo
05-01-2015, 02:27 AM

If he becomes the next Haggans I will be hugely disappointed

Slapstick
05-01-2015, 06:10 AM
My God. A freak athlete, productive college player and consensus top-half-of-first-round player with no red flags...and people are whining?

Some people just ain't happy unless they are b!+€#ing...

Oviedo
05-01-2015, 06:44 AM
My God. A freak athlete, productive college player and consensus top-half-of-first-round player with no red flags...and people are whining?

I'm very happy with the pick. I always wanted pass rusher in Round 1. But now it becomes taking "freak athlete, productive college player" and translating that to something that produces pressure and sacks in the NFL......hopefully before a 1st Round picks third year:stirpot

Then again our last 1st Round OLB pick doesn't have the athletic ability of Dupree

SteelCrazy
05-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Dupree is a freak. He really is, because he dominates with just his God given ability. The only knock I see on him is he has very little technique. Doesnt use his hands well when he engages a T or whoever. that can be learned and I say with his natural ability he may become one of the best

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-01-2015, 09:37 AM
My God. A freak athlete, productive college player and consensus top-half-of-first-round player

Guy has Clark Haggans written all over him. :D

feltdizz
05-01-2015, 10:48 AM

LOL... and even then they aren't really happy.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2015, 02:37 PM
This Bud is perfect for the Steelers

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2015-Photos/2015_Centerpiece_Misc/04_April/Bud_Dupree_Action3_CP_0430_2015.jpg

The team really had no realistic expectation it would have a chance to draft Bud Dupree.

In hindsight, General Manager Kevin Colbert tipped the Steelers’ hand some 72 hours before the draft. With the emphasis on upgrading the team’s defense, specifically the team’s defense when the football is in the air, Colbert had been asked to assess the talent pool from which the team would be picking starting on Thursday night.

“I think the cornerback group is good,” said Colbert. “The outside linebacker types, which for us is a 4-3 defensive end for some 4-3 teams, this is probably as good a group at that position as I’ve seen in 10-15 years. It’s really an exceptional group with a lot of impact-type guys.”

And as the picking unfolded, the exceptional group with a lot of impact-type guys largely was being ignored. Dante Fowler Jr. went to the Jacksonville Jaguars on the third overall selection, and Vic Beasley was made the eighth overall selection by the pass-rush starved Atlanta Falcons. Then, nothing.

The names coming off the board between the Falcons’ pick at No. 8 and the Steelers’ pick at No. 22 pretty much were the ones expected to come off the board at that stage of the first round, with just a few exceptions.

Two of the exceptions – just based on recent draft history – were Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon, who became the first running backs to be picked on the first round since 2012, when Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, and David Wilson all were among the first 32 players selected. Gurley went to the St. Louis Rams at No. 10, and the San Diego Chargers traded up from No. 17 to No. 15 for Gordon.

The movement of the two running backs into the top 20 picks of the first round, plus the Cleveland Browns using their two picks on interior linemen – nose tackle Danny Shelton and center Cameron Erving – plus the Philadelphia Eagles going for receiver Nelson Agholor got the Steelers closer to Dupree.

But even with that help, even if the Steelers had known they were to get that help, it still seemed unlikely they would be able to land Dupree, because of some character issues. Not character issues with Dupree, but the character issues that figured to impact the draft position of two of the other top prospects as edge rushers – Shane Ray and Randy Gregory.

Virtually every mock draft cast Dupree as a top-15 pick even before Ray’s arrest for possession of marijuana, because he brought a solid mix of production, intelligence, diligence, and the kind of high character marks that had him in the mix for the annual LOTT Impact Trophy, given annually “to a student-athlete who embodies integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community, and tenacity.”

Once it was over, and Dupree was safely in the fold as the Steelers newest No. 1 pick, Colbert was almost giddy.

“We’re really excited. The other day during the press conference we talked about the outside linebacker position being very deep with several impact players,” said Colbert, “and we believe we got an impact player in Bud Dupree. It’s really exciting that he was able to be there for us at No. 22. Quite honestly that was something we didn’t expect to happen.”

That’s often the refrain during the news conference held immediately after a team makes a pick, how surprised they were that so-and-so was available, but in this instance it rang true because of Dupree’s production at Kentucky and his spotless record on the character front.

“I think when you guys meet him you’ll find him very humble,” said Colbert. “He’s not a really talkative guy. He’s finishing school this semester. He’ll graduate in four years. He was talked about as a team leader. When we were at Kentucky for the pro day it was just endless support and praise for this kid, so they really believe he was their leader. Kentucky didn’t have quite the season it had hoped for, but everybody spoke about this kid in glowing terms.”

A team captain in 2014, Dupree finished his senior season with 7.5 sacks, which gave him 23.5 for his career. A starter for the final 38 games of his college career, Dupree ran a 4.56 in the 40-yard dash and posted a 42-inch vertical leap at the Combine.

“I think his versatility is something that should be highlighted,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “He’s done a lot for that defense over the course of the last four years. He’s been an edge rusher. He’s played in space. He’s played stack linebacker. This is a very versatile and smart athlete. We had an opportunity to take him to dinner the night before his pro day. There was good conversation with him. You could characterize him as a football junkie or football historian. That’s attractive as well.”

Tomlin said Dupree will begin as a left outside linebacker for the Steelers, where right now the team has returning veteran Arthur Moats and not much else. Starting out on the left side, and with him being 6-foot-4, 269 pounds, there is an obvious comparison to LaMarr Woodley. But Tomlin quickly dismissed those comparisons based on playing style and experience.

“Lamar was a converted defensive lineman in college. Bud has played on his feet and played detached from the core,” said Tomlin. “He showed a much wider variety of skill-set on his college tape. You can find some comparisons in terms of measurables or weight, but it really kind of ends there.”

For Dupree, his wait in the green room in Chicago ended when the Steelers called his name, and he said he’s excited for what he sees as this new beginning.

“I think I’m in the right position,” said Dupree. “I’m glad that Coach Tomlin gave me a chance, and I will prove him right.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/This-Bud-is-perfect-for-the-Steelers/919e155d-1211-49e8-a2cd-a746896e7892?short_code=2wpz5

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Report: Cardinals were interested in trading up for Bud Dupree; Bengals declined

by Arun Srinivasan

https://d13csqd2kn0ewr.cloudfront.net/uploads/image/file/111182/w640xh480_REU_2225684.jpg?ts=1430510795

The Arizona Cardinals expressed interest in trading up three spots in order to select outside linebacker Bud Dupree on Thursday, according to FOX Sports' Mike Jurecki.

However, the Cincinnati Bengals reportedly rejected the offer and picked offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi 21st overall.

Dupree was selected 22nd overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Bengals' division rival. It's far too early to make a definitive analysis but it may be a move the Bengals come to regret if the Kentucky product dominates the Steelers' offensive line twice a year for next decade.

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/756825