PDA

View Full Version : Inside Backers

ikestops85
04-29-2015, 05:09 PM
I was thinking about our linebackers and while we don't have the depth we would like at outside linebacker I think we are overstocked on the inside. With Timmons and Shazier locking down the starting jobs we have Vince Williams and Sean Spence as the backups. I thought Williams came a long way from his rookie season to being very solid when he played. We all know it's practically a miracle that Spence got back on the field at all and he not only did that but he played pretty well. Behind them are Zumwalt and Garvin. I know they have Garvin listed on the outside but I believe he was listed inside last year ... at least at the start of the year. Garvin has done well on special teams and I like the little I've seen of Zumwalt.

So that leads me to wonder if we have some leverage to dangle one of them as trade bait. The one I'm specifically thinking about is Vince Williams. I think people would still hesitate on Spence because of the injury. Williams on the other hand has shown not only that he can play at the NFL level but that he learns very fast. Does anybody think we might be able to score a 4th rounder from a team like San Fran who have had their line-backing core devastated? The guy doesn't come with any baggage ... low salary cap hit, no drug policy offenses so teams don't have to worry about that. They would get a good, young, solid player who hasn't hit his ceiling yet and I think we would have adequate backup with Spence and hope Zumwalt lives up to his promise.

What say our board gurus?

K Train
04-29-2015, 05:15 PM
I think WE like our inside linebackers, not sure we have anyone that would draw much interest unless you wanted to move timmons. Backup middle linebackers arent very difficult to come by and while I love how much vince improved and the fact that spence got on the field again I am not so sure they would gain any interest on the market unless you wanted an extra 7th round pick

SidSmythe
04-29-2015, 05:33 PM
I like our "Problem" at ILB. Vince Williams is under rookie contract for 2 more years and then will be optioned. TIMMONS is entering his 30s. Why get rid of our depth and a possible replacement for an unproven 4th Rounder??

Slapstick
04-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Injuries can happen. I'd rather keep the guys we have that we know can play.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Injuries can happen. I'd rather keep the guys we have that we know can play.
$$$
I have a hunch the Steelers will address OLB quite adequately in this draft.

feltdizz
04-29-2015, 05:58 PM
trade? lol.... c'mon.

Iron City Inc.
04-29-2015, 06:25 PM
I was thinking about our linebackers and while we don't have the depth we would like at outside linebacker I think we are overstocked on the inside. With Timmons and Shazier locking down the starting jobs we have Vince Williams and Sean Spence as the backups. I thought Williams came a long way from his rookie season to being very solid when he played. We all know it's practically a miracle that Spence got back on the field at all and he not only did that but he played pretty well. Behind them are Zumwalt and Garvin. I know they have Garvin listed on the outside but I believe he was listed inside last year ... at least at the start of the year. Garvin has done well on special teams and I like the little I've seen of Zumwalt.

So that leads me to wonder if we have some leverage to dangle one of them as trade bait. The one I'm specifically thinking about is Vince Williams. I think people would still hesitate on Spence because of the injury. Williams on the other hand has shown not only that he can play at the NFL level but that he learns very fast. Does anybody think we might be able to score a 4th rounder from a team like San Fran who have had their line-backing core devastated? The guy doesn't come with any baggage ... low salary cap hit, no drug policy offenses so teams don't have to worry about that. They would get a good, young, solid player who hasn't hit his ceiling yet and I think we would have adequate backup with Spence and hope Zumwalt lives up to his promise.

What say our board gurus?
Possible sure .....likely to happen ...no. I'm hoping we draft Williams brother who is way undervalued imho. Karlos is a day 3 guy who I think will be a solid player.
I would say our best chance to pull off a trade would be to go back from 22 to 23 or 24. Grab a day 3 pick and still get the guy they want. Not sexy but an extra mid rounder would be welcome.

Chucktownsteeler
04-29-2015, 09:23 PM
I like our "Problem" at ILB. Vince Williams is under rookie contract for 2 more years and then will be optioned. TIMMONS is entering his 30s. Why get rid of our depth and a possible replacement for an unproven 4th Rounder??
Isn't Timmons 27 years old?

Slapstick
04-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Timmons will be 29 in May...

Chadman
04-29-2015, 09:36 PM
I say draft Stephon Anthony. Competition!

Oviedo
04-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Timmons will be 29 in May...

...and is the best player on the defense and has 3-4 good years left. He isn't getting traded anywhwere

pittpete
04-29-2015, 10:07 PM
While we're at it lets try trading Landry Jones and one of our 3 punters also:D

Slapstick
04-30-2015, 06:28 AM
...and is the best player on the defense and has 3-4 good years left. He isn't getting traded anywhwere

No argument here. Merely pointing out that he is neither 27 nor entering his 30s...

phillyesq
04-30-2015, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't want to trade Vince Williams. He is the only real thumper of the ILBs. Of any of them, I'd move Spence, but he has next to zero trade value.

Shoe
04-30-2015, 09:33 AM
All those guys mentioned would fit seamlessly into a 4-3 scheme. And given the fact that we have a major need on the outside (of our 3-4), you would think (the scheme shift) would be a topic of conversation. We obviously would still need a pass-rusher, but we would solve our LB issues in one wave of the wand (switching schemes). One of those capable guys would move into the starting lineup.

I agree, talent is quite rich. Though as said, I don't see much trade value there.