PDA

View Full Version : Flippy-Rooneying the Script

flippy
04-29-2015, 08:21 AM
Everyone's expecting the Steelers to take a OLB or CB with their first pick. Perhaps there's a player at another position that could help them even more.

Just imagine if they could put a young Casey Hampton on the field in between Heyward and Tuitt. That could make a bigger difference in the capabilities of this Defense than any OLB or CB ever could. If we somehow landed a stud NT, our 3 man front could be one of the Steelers' best ever, making our entire D work an order of magnitude better. Requiring a double team in the middle frees everyone else up to be more effective. Collapsing the pocket in the middle gives our outside guys the ability to get to the QB. The easier they can get to the QB, the easier it is to cover. It's a domino effect.

But is that player there in the draft and would he be available when we pick?

Danny Shelton looks like he could be that guy. But people have him going in the top 10 and I'm not sure we could even afford to go up and get him. Although some have him dropping, so who knows.

But there is another guy that seems like a perfect Steeler to me. Malcom Brown from Texas. We got Casey from Texas. And Malcom seems like the kind of person the Steelers and Tomlin might really like. He's an underclassman and a high character kid. Seems like he'd offer some positional flexibility from our base 3-4 to our nickle and dime packages with 4 linemen.

I know I was so caught up in trying to watch as much film as I could find on the OLB and CB prospects in this year's draft, that I have missed some other positions. I see a lot of mocks where Malcom is being projected for picks right in our neighborhood in the first round.

What if the Steelers really changed it up and went DT in the first? If they found the right player, I think it could make a bigger impact than any other position.

Would you consider trading up to ensure landing Shelton or Brown? I think I prefer Shelton, but he seems out of range. Brown may look appealing to some teams ahead of us, so we may have to go up to get him too? But by all accounts, Brown looks like the pedigree of underclassman that Tomlin covets. Could he be our surprise pick?

phillyesq
04-29-2015, 08:47 AM
I'd be fine with Brown. I don't think he is just a pure plugger like Casey was, but Brown also seems a bit more suited to play in hybrid fronts. McClendon is adequate, but he's already in his late 20s. Adding a guy like Brown, who could also see some snaps as a DT in the nickel, would be fine with me.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2015, 09:03 AM
i like brown alot too and would not be upset at all if he is the pick at 22

K Train
04-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Malcolm Brown is a really underrated prospect, he IS a plug and play starter and theres no doubt in my mind.

We are talking about different animals though when comparing him to Casey hampton (also worth noting that after Tony Hills, Limas Sweed, and Curtis Brown it understandable why the steelers might have soured on Texas prospects lately). He is an under tackle most likely but does offer some scheme versatility. I would say closer to Lamaar Houston (another former texas product) than Casey Hampton.

It would honestly be a little bit more of the same though, which is why I would rather take Michael Bennett or Mario Edwards in 2 or Henry Anderson in 3. The dline is pretty much set with starters so quality depth and rotation would be good but if they want to be more multiple on defense they need a guy who can play the edge because they have a **** ton of interior guys and guys athletic enough to play strong side DE in a base 34.

Preston Smith for instance would be a more valuable addition from a schematic standpoint than Malcolm Brown....but brown would make the defense better, just seems a bit redundant.

Shelton would be on of those rare NTs worth a first round pick imo...i think hes a 3 down player, which makes him extremely valuable. He has that casey hampton functional strength while also a bit more lateral ability to not be useless against outside zones...top ten for sure though imo

SS Laser
04-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Malcolm Brown is a really underrated prospect, he IS a plug and play starter and theres no doubt in my mind.

We are talking about different animals though when comparing him to Casey hampton (also worth noting that after Tony Hills, Limas Sweed, and Curtis Brown it understandable why the steelers might have soured on Texas prospects lately). He is an under tackle most likely but does offer some scheme versatility. I would say closer to Lamaar Houston (another former texas product) than Casey Hampton.

It would honestly be a little bit more of the same though, which is why I would rather take Michael Bennett or Mario Edwards in 2 or Henry Anderson in 3. The dline is pretty much set with starters so quality depth and rotation would be good but if they want to be more multiple on defense they need a guy who can play the edge because they have a **** ton of interior guys and guys athletic enough to play strong side DE in a base 34.

Preston Smith for instance would be a more valuable addition from a schematic standpoint than Malcolm Brown....but brown would make the defense better, just seems a bit redundant.

Shelton would be on of those rare NTs worth a first round pick imo...i think hes a 3 down player, which makes him extremely valuable. He has that casey hampton functional strength while also a bit more lateral ability to not be useless against outside zones...top ten for sure though imo I like Brown also and have thought the whole time it will not be OLB/CB in the first. I also am not sold on Shelton he is SLOW! Now why does that matter for a NT? NOT one NT being that slow has played like a top 10 pick in the NFL. That comes from a ex NFL GM talking head Casserly. But he was a very good GM at one point. I also like Lance Zierlein's break down of Michel Bennett who could be there at the Steelers 2nd rd pick. I think Brown and Bennet both have great value in a hybrid 3-4. SO depending how the 1st plays out this draft could be a shake up for the Steeler fans. IF a OT/OG/DT/NT falls it could be the BPA in 1st or 2nd round. I have faith the Steelers have done there work and will follow there board. Lets hope there is no Mendenhall/Sweed type falls! We all thought that draft was a A value when it was a D value maybe worse!

K Train
04-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Well, I dont think shelton is very slow to be honest....we can all agree that his 40 yard dash was one of the sorriest ones weve ever seen for a potential first round prospect but the guy RUMBLES after the QB and he played more snaps than any DT last season, he was always on the field against a conference that passes pretty much non stop.

Rarely do you see him lose a battle and even more rarely do you see the blocker get a hand on him first....all key attributes for a NT

Rara
04-29-2015, 10:32 AM
I'd be upset...only because its not one of the players I've been wanting...however, it does fill a need if we drafted Malcolm Brown.

K Train
04-29-2015, 10:36 AM
I'd be upset...only because its not one of the players I've been wanting...however, it does fill a need if we drafted Malcolm Brown.
What need?

Dont be fooled by his 6-2 320 size, hes not a NT (plus mcclendon is pretty good and mccullers seems to be in their plans for the future)

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Well, I dont think shelton is very slow to be honest....we can all agree that his 40 yard dash was one of the sorriest ones weve ever seen for a potential first round prospect but the guy RUMBLES after the QB and he played more snaps than any DT last season, he was always on the field against a conference that passes pretty much non stop.

Rarely do you see him lose a battle and even more rarely do you see the blocker get a hand on him first....all key attributes for a NT

He does seem to be reasonably solid in pursuit for a guy his size. I've seen him get outside on stretch plays and even tackle wideouts on a bubble screen. I could care less about the 40 time for a guy who is nearly 350 lbs. He needs to be able to run 10 yards, while being blocked, usually by more than one guy, not 40 yards in spandex. I'm hoping that Cleveland doesn't get him with one of their two first round picks.

Shawn
04-29-2015, 07:00 PM
SMH....McClendon gets no love. The guy is good.

Chucktownsteeler
04-29-2015, 09:17 PM
I am with Flippy on this one. If you can't stop the run or put heat on the QB I don't care who you have in the secondary.

Chucktownsteeler
04-29-2015, 09:18 PM
I say our first round pick is Shelton, Brown, or Goldman. The DL would then be set. We add an OLB in the second, and add CBs third and fifth. Sprinkle in a TE in the fourth and round out the draft RB, G, DL.

Chucktownsteeler
04-29-2015, 09:21 PM
29 years old, fighting the injury bug the past few seasons and soon to be a UFA. He will want his big payday as it is more than likely his last NFL contract. Someone will overpay for him. He has no future in the 'Burgh.

Chadman
04-29-2015, 09:22 PM
I'm good with going either line- OL or DL. I actually expect the "value" to fall in around our pick for both positions as I think the top CB's & OLB's will be gone by our pick.

Oviedo
04-29-2015, 09:47 PM
If they look at #1 rated player at his position still on the board the surprise would be Maxx Williams. I could see that before a Nose Tackle. I think they see potential in McCullers and like McLendon more than the board does.

K Train
04-29-2015, 10:30 PM
29 years old, fighting the injury bug the past few seasons and soon to be a UFA. He will want his big payday as it is more than likely his last NFL contract. Someone will overpay for him. He has no future in the 'Burgh.

What kind of bull**** narrative is this? Someone will over pay because he will want a "big payday" I'm sure he will want one but he certainly won't get one. He'll command a very medium contract

Chucktownsteeler
04-30-2015, 11:07 AM
What kind of bull**** narrative is this? Someone will over pay because he will want a "big payday" I'm sure he will want one but he certainly won't get one. He'll command a very medium contract

someone will overpay, book-it. It may be a Miami or an Arizona, but he will be looking for his last big payday. The Steelers will pass on re-signing him and rightfully so. He is serviceable at best against the pass but gets pushed around way to much against the run. We need to concentrate on DL and OLB before we begin looking at CB. Plus CB position is deep this year.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-30-2015, 11:26 AM
nobody is giving mclendon a big payday at 30 years old

SteelCrazy
04-30-2015, 11:52 AM
McClendon has never commanded a double team and thats partly why our run D has suffered. Last year we were 6th in total run yards, but 25th in yards/attempt. Big Dan needs to learn technique and when he does we will be set.

phillyesq
04-30-2015, 11:58 AM
If they look at #1 rated player at his position still on the board the surprise would be Maxx Williams. I could see that before a Nose Tackle. I think they see potential in McCullers and like McLendon more than the board does.

I'd be shocked if they take Max Williams. They have met with almost every other TE except for Max.

K Train
04-30-2015, 12:07 PM
I'd be shocked if they take Max Williams. They have met with almost every other TE except for Max.

they were at minnesotas pro day, tomlin has close ties there....so williams and cobb i would imagine

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-30-2015, 12:45 PM

I'd say that he is improving, and he could step it up some more this year, but I would not call him good at this point. I thought he was not good in '13. He was better in '14, and his play has been improving steadily.

Coolie Man
04-30-2015, 02:14 PM
I quit reading this thread when I read Shelton is slow.