PDA

View Full Version : 1974

Discipline of Steel
04-28-2015, 09:33 AM
With the 2015 draft fast approaching, i thought it might be nice to remember the greatest draft in NFL (and probably professional sports) history.
In 1974, the Steelers drafted four Hall of Famers with their first four picks. (rounds 1,2,4,and 5; 3 went to Oak).

Rnd 1: WR Lynn Swann (21) My favorite Steeler player as a kid, he made some of the most iconic receptions in NFL history.
Rnd 2: MLB Jack Lambert (46) My favorite Steeler player as an adult, he started the Steeler reputation as intimidators that has persisted through the years.
Rnd 4: WR John Stallworth (82) Had a greater career than even Lynn Swann when it was all said and done.
Rnd 5: C Mike Webster (125) First in a long line of dominant Steeler centers...as blue collar as you could ask for.
Rnds 6-17: Not a single one of these players was notable but that point is pretty much irrelevant.
FA Signings: Lets not forget the Steelers picked up S Donnie Shell and TE Randy Gradishar as undrafted free agents that year. Although Shell is not in the HOF, he did make All-Pro three times, Pro Bowl five times, mentored Rod Woodson in his first year, and knocked Earl Campbell out of a playoff game so theres that...

The only other Hall of Famer from that draft was TE Dave Casper (45), selected by Oakland in Rnd 2.

In hindsight, I think Coach Noll deserves alot of the credit for the number of Hall of Famers in that draft. Not by selecting them, but by creating a synergy on the team that made all the players great. With todays rules, it seems unlikely that a team will ever dominate the way the 70 Steelers did and therefore its equally unlikely that there will ever be a draft as great as 1974 ever again.

Slapstick
04-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Art Rooney, Jr., no longer with the team since 1987 having lost a power struggle with Dan, had a lot to do with that draft as well...

Iron City Inc.
04-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Ray Mansfield was a excellent center before Iron Mike arrived. Webster was better. So our star at center does go way back.
Noll gets a lot of credit as he made it all work but Bill Nunn who we lost on 5/6/14 was the man when it came to getting us the right players and the rest was history. Donnie Shell was picked up as a free agent with that group as well. He was a special player that often goes unmentioned with that group.
In 73 we were a real good team but not there yet. Just like our 14 team close but a few bricks shy of a load.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Noll gets a lot of credit as he made it all work but Bill Nunn who we lost on 5/6/14 was the man when it came to getting us the right players and the rest was history.

http://www.wtae.com/image/view/-/25857742/medRes/3/-/maxh/480/maxw/640/-/bxctraz/-/Bill-Nunn-Draft-Room.jpg