PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor retires after 12 years

Ghost
04-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Ike has made it official.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/14/pittsburgh-steelers-cornerback-ike-taylor-retires

"Other than having my son, playing for the Steelers has been the best experience in my entire lifetime,” said Taylor.

Slapstick
04-14-2015, 10:27 AM
It was time for another Steelers great...:Cheers:Clap

phillyesq
04-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Sad to see them all go, but it was time. Ike had a couple of huge moments, including his pick in the SB against Seattle. The work he did against Chad Johnson and then AJ Green (until last year) was also something I'll remember.

With Troy and Ike, that was a nice haul from the 2003 draft.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2015, 11:12 AM
All of these retirements makes you reflect upon how great our defense of recent Super Bowl vintage truly was. At each level of the defense, there was at least one excellent player, at least one very good player, at least one good player, and at least one average player (quite an accomplishment, considering that our defense seems to be struggling to find even average players now).

DEFENSIVE LINE
Excellent Player: Aaron Smith
Very Good Player: Casey Hampton
Good Player: Brett Keisel
Average Player: Chris Hoke

LINEBACKERS
Excellent Player: James Harrison
Very Good Player: James Farrior
Good Player: LaMarr Woodley
Average Player: Larry Foote

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Excellent Player: Troy Polamalu
Very Good Player: Ike Taylor
Good Player: Ryan Clark
Average Player: Bryant McFadden

phillyesq
04-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Nice writeup on Taylor:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/04/14/ike-taylors-career-was-a-roller-coaster-but-he-exits-the-steelers-on-a-high-note/

K Train
04-14-2015, 11:22 AM
All of these retirements makes you reflect upon how great our defense of recent Super Bowl vintage truly was. At each level of the defense, there was at least one excellent player, at least one very good player, at least one good player, and at least one average player (quite an accomplishment, considering that our defense seems to be struggling to find even average players now).

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Woodley was excellent with that group. He was such a force on some of those great defenses. Cant believe harrison is the only one left (Gay too I guess)

feltdizz
04-14-2015, 11:31 AM

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS

It was a great D.. the only problem/issue is we held onto most of them 2 or 3 years past their spoil date.

also...

Woodley was Very Good
Larry Foote was Good

LF was a tackling machine and extremely underrated in our D.

Oviedo
04-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks Ike for your great play in the past. Your character and acting as a loyal Steeler.

Like the others who have left this off season it is time to move on and look to the future and new ideas and new faces.

Chucktownsteeler
04-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Ike - Congrats on the retirement. Good luck with all future endeavors.

The Steelers best corner since Rod Woodson.

steelsnis
04-14-2015, 04:17 PM

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS

You're forgetting Timmons in the LB group. He was a significant player off the bench in 2008 Super Bowl season (had some big hits/plays vs. Ravens) and was a starter in the 2010 SB year. He belongs in the "good" to "very good" group IMO.

SteelCrazy
04-14-2015, 05:27 PM
I'd flip Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton on the excellent and very good list

Chadman
04-14-2015, 06:05 PM
I'd say both Smith & Hampton were "excellent". They were the premier 3-4 NT & DE of their generations.

SteelCrazy
04-14-2015, 06:09 PM
I'd say both Smith & Hampton were "excellent". They were the premier 3-4 NT & DE of their generations.

I will agree with this.......

p.s. your horse needs a show to even it up a bit, but hopefully its all wins baby!

Chadman
04-14-2015, 06:39 PM
I will agree with this.......

p.s. your horse needs a show to even it up a bit, but hopefully its all wins baby!

She's going alright. Back in prep for the Brisbane Racing Carnival- could be a few interesting races coming up. I've got another that is 1 start, 1 win & just bought her half-brother...it's getting addictive...

Iron City Inc.
04-14-2015, 06:48 PM
A bit sad but Ike's skill set wasn't the same anymore. Glad he was a Steeler and a great 4th round pick. I hope we can find another 4th rounder like him in this draft.

SteelCrazy
04-14-2015, 07:10 PM
She's going alright. Back in prep for the Brisbane Racing Carnival- could be a few interesting races coming up. I've got another that is 1 start, 1 win & just bought her half-brother...it's getting addictive...

You need to keep all threes race records in your sig....

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2015, 08:07 PM

I agree....

Djfan
04-14-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks Ike. I was a huge fan. It has to be hard to be a defensive player in the Steelers organization, as that bar is incredibly high. You held your own and we appreciate it.

Farrior was way more than people give him credit for. He had more impact for the Steelers in a game than most did, and he did it consistantly. I will probably always wear his jersey.

Chadman
04-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks Ike. I was a huge fan. It has to be hard to be a defensive player in the Steelers organization, as that bar is incredibly high. You held your own and we appreciate it.

Farrior was way more than people give him credit for. He had more impact for the Steelers in a game than most did, and he did it consistantly. I will probably always wear his jersey.

Good point. I'm not sure if the idea was to belittle players like Hampton & Farrior to be honest, but I think it's fair to say that the Steelers defense back then was well above average. Was there even a 'weak link' when guys like Foote, McFadden & Keisel are the 'worst' players starting?

The Man of Steel
04-14-2015, 10:28 PM
The Steelers only had like 5 picks in that 2003 draft but they got Troy and Ike out of it so that's pretty damn good. Too bad Alonzo Jackson was such a bust or otherwise that would have been a great draft class even with Brian St. Pierre and J.T. Wall.

Flasteel
04-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Thanks Ike! :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Ike Taylor had a memorable first meeting with Troy Polamalu

Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor announced his retirement on Tuesday. Appearing on PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, Taylor explained that he planned to do whatever teammate safety Troy Polamalu did. With Troy retiring last week, Ike decided to do the same.

And for good reason; the two men arrived in Pittsburgh at the same time, as members of the 2003 draft class.

Taylor also said that his most memorable moment in 12 years with the Steelers happened when he first met Polamalu.

Taylor explained that the two men were sharing a hotel room, presumably for rookie camp. Taylor said he had taken a shower and decided to do some sit-ups. His towel was on the ground, so he was performing the exercises naked.

And then the door to the hotel room opened. It was Polamalu, who quickly left.

Taylor got up (it’s unclear whether he also toweled up) and then opened the door to tell Polamalu he was in the right room.

Taylor had plenty of other interesting things to say about winning Super Bowls, losing a Super Bowl, his relationship with Dan Rooney, and his plans for life after playing football. The entire interview is worth a listen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/14/ike-taylor-had-a-memorable-first-meeting-with-troy-polamalu/

feltdizz
04-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Ike Taylor had a memorable first meeting with Troy Polamalu

Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor announced his retirement on Tuesday. Appearing on PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, Taylor explained that he planned to do whatever teammate safety Troy Polamalu did. With Troy retiring last week, Ike decided to do the same.

And for good reason; the two men arrived in Pittsburgh at the same time, as members of the 2003 draft class.

Taylor also said that his most memorable moment in 12 years with the Steelers happened when he first met Polamalu.

Taylor explained that the two men were sharing a hotel room, presumably for rookie camp. Taylor said he had taken a shower and decided to do some sit-ups. His towel was on the ground, so he was performing the exercises naked.

And then the door to the hotel room opened. It was Polamalu, who quickly left.

Taylor got up (it’s unclear whether he also toweled up) and then opened the door to tell Polamalu he was in the right room.

Taylor had plenty of other interesting things to say about winning Super Bowls, losing a Super Bowl, his relationship with Dan Rooney, and his plans for life after playing football. The entire interview is worth a listen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/14/ike-taylor-had-a-memorable-first-meeting-with-troy-polamalu/

naked sit ups? c'mon Ike

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2015, 03:44 PM
naked sit ups? c'mon Ike

He was actually trying to....oh, nevermind...:eek:

feltdizz
04-15-2015, 04:01 PM
He was actually trying to....oh, nevermind...:eek:

yuck.. is Ike Taylor married?

If not, I'm crying foul. What man exercises naked in his room when he is expecting a roommate with his own key?

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2015, 04:21 PM
He is married now, but was not married during his rookie training camp in 2003 (got married in 2008). He did get married to his college girlfriend, though, so one would imagine that they were together at that time.

hausparty
04-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Ike was my favorite player and only because Ike created a bond between me and my youngest son who is now 15.
Ike always put his hand in front of his face and waved it when he shut down a play. The move has been something my son and I have done for years now and I can still remember dropping him off at school and having him turn around and doing that hand motion over his face.

Last year at camp the Steelers allowed him to stay in the SpringHill Suites right outside the camp and Good Ole IKE parked right outside our window. I still remember waking up and seeing Ike heading to his car and of course the fan in me was ponding on the window to get his attention! He looked up and I did the wave over my face and he smiled and did it right back.

Despite those special moments how much of a pay cut did he take again last year? How often do you see that these days? Hats off to this guy and I think Ike will be a part of my family for many more years to come.

P.S. If you ever goto camp the first day do yourself a huge favor and stay at the SPRINGHILL SUITES. We sat by the fire with Jason Worilds, Had a drink with Greg Lloyd and got to see IKE.

birtikidis
04-15-2015, 07:17 PM
http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Reactions-to-Ike-Taylors-retirement-36788355
reaction to Ike retiring.
Halfway down, conversation with Dan Rooney... On Interception in Superbowl vs. Seahags "It sort of gave us a little bit of breathing room and ti was great... maybe he is going to learn how to catch" Rooney said
bwah hahaha Old man fired the first shot and it was hilarious!