PDA

View Full Version : Troy is retiring :(

Snatch98
04-09-2015, 10:10 PM
http://pit.scout.com/story/1536060-steelers-great-troy-polamalu-retires?s=68

Snatch98
04-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Its time but I'm heart sick over it. I was hoping he would take a vet min deal and give it one last go, Bettis style. I'm pretty bummed.

pfelix73
04-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Yep. just heard the news too... Congrats to #43.

Slapstick
04-09-2015, 10:18 PM
One of the all-time greats. I will miss him, but I am happy for him to retire relatively healthy.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-09-2015, 10:19 PM
pure class

BradshawsHairdresser
04-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Kudos to a great player who provided us with some great football. I think he made the right decision, but it's still a little sad to see him go.

SteelBucks
04-09-2015, 10:30 PM
I knew that this was coming but it didn't make it any easier to see the news....I loved watching Troy play.

Congrats on a great career and here's hoping it ends in Canton!

feltdizz
04-09-2015, 10:35 PM
This is good news. I didn't want to see him in another uniform and I didn't want to see him tarnish his legacy.

SteelCrazy
04-09-2015, 10:40 PM
I wish he could have played for another few years, but I'm happy he's retiring as a Steeler. Good luck to you Troy. Its been a pleasure watching you play.

Starlifter
04-09-2015, 10:51 PM
he's leaving on his terms. sure fire HOF'er. finished his career having played for only one team. Can't do it any better than that!

now who was it who called him bustamalu?...........

kindlecatsb'ng
04-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Kudos to him and sad for us. Always dreaded this departure of Troy. He is the first player that I ever bought a jersey. True class and best to him. Now I feel depressed.

:(

Kindle

K Train
04-09-2015, 10:58 PM
He's a ****ing legend

hawaiiansteel
04-09-2015, 11:04 PM
He's a ****ing legend

yup, Troy is and always will be one of the greatest all-time Steelers ever! :tt2

Chadman
04-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Really is starting to look like the end of an era in Pittsburgh.

Polamalu was pure class on & off the field.

Can a case be made for the best Steelers DB ever?

pfelix73
04-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Really is starting to look like the end of an era in Pittsburgh.

Even tho Troy is Troy, #26 and #47 will always be the best. imo

hawaiiansteel
04-10-2015, 01:53 AM

maybe best Steelers safety ever, but not DB...

tiproast
04-10-2015, 05:23 AM
He had a stellar career, and will be enshrined in Canton in five years.

He was a lot of fun to watch, and I think he would have played for free - one of those guys that just really loves the game.

Chadman
04-10-2015, 06:50 AM
maybe best Steelers safety ever, but not DB...

I'm not convinced. Different players, different strengths, all that. I get that.

Polamalu is fresh in our minds, others are romantasized with time. I think Troy was as good as any before him

squidkid
04-10-2015, 07:48 AM
one of the greatest ever to play the safety position in history.
the man did things nobody ever could.
a truly special talent.

8467thekraken
04-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Best possible outcome for all involved.

Great decision by Troy. I would imagine, as a player, the toughest decision there is to make-when to hang 'em up.

But it's the right decision.

I doff my cap to you, Troy. Nothing but respect.

phillyesq
04-10-2015, 08:43 AM
A great player, and by all accounts, a great guy. He provided some incredible memories and it was a pleasure to watch him play.

feltdizz
04-10-2015, 08:50 AM
He's a ****ing legend

yezzirrr!!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2015, 09:15 AM
I heard the news on the radio last night as I was driving to pick my son up from practice. When I got there, he was waiting for me in his t-shirt that says "70% of the earth's surface is covered by water and the rest is covered by POLAMALU" so I had to break the news to him right there. He asked why he was retiring, and I told him that Troy said that he is 33 and Jesus was 33 when he died, and he played 12 years and Jesus had 12 disciples.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2015, 09:20 AM

If I had to compile an all-time NFL team, I would have Rod and Mel as my two starting corners (both much more complete football players overall than the overhyped Deion...he'd only be considered as a return man for me). The only other corner in the discussion in my mind would be Night Train Lane. Revis is a heck of a player now, but he seems to be more about the money than anything else.

As for strong safeties, Troy would certainly be in the discussion because he was truly unique, but in the end, I wouldn't be able to choose him over Ronnie Lott as a starter though. He'd certainly be great to bring in for nickel and dime packages, though.

SidSmythe
04-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Troy LOVES Pittsburgh. Was hoping he'd pull a Rod Woodson and move to deep FS instead of having to be CUT!!

Retirement is good. Especially with his history of concussions I want to see Troy walking onto Heinz Field at 80 yrs old waving to fans!!

I can't say TROY is the Greatest SS of all time but I will say he was the biggest playmaker of all time.

pfelix73
04-10-2015, 09:34 AM
If I had to compile an all-time NFL team, I would have Rod and Mel as my two starting corners (both much more complete football players overall than the overhyped Deion...he'd only be considered as a return man for me). The only other corner in the discussion in my mind would be Night Train Lane. Revis is a heck of a player now, but he seems to be more about the money than anything else.

As for strong safeties, Troy would certainly be in the discussion because he was truly unique, but in the end, I wouldn't be able to choose him over Ronnie Lott as a starter though. He'd certainly be great to bring in for nickel and dime packages, though.

I agree with you regarding Sanders. Seemed like if you ran right him, he'd have a hard time tackling the rb. Woodson and Blount were unique. Heck, Blount has a rule named after him.

You'd be hard pressed to find 2 better CB's than #26 and #47..

Oviedo
04-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Great player, but maybe a greater human being. Seems to have his life priorities in the right place.

Will miss him, but it was time. Just glad he didn't hang on to the point he was embarrassing himself and his legacy.

Oviedo
04-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Got to agree

Discipline of Steel
04-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Interesting that Night Train was teamed with Dick Lebeau, Yale Lary, and Lem Barney as possible the greatest defensive backfield of all time.

Moonie
04-10-2015, 11:22 AM
I heard the news on the radio last night as I was driving to pick my son up from practice. When I got there, he was waiting for me in his t-shirt that says "70% of the earth's surface is covered by water and the rest is covered by POLAMALU" so I had to break the news to him right there. He asked why he was retiring, and I told him that Troy said that he is 33 and Jesus was 33 when he died, and he played 12 years and Jesus had 12 disciples.

They both had long hair too!

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Troy LOVES Pittsburgh. Was hoping he'd pull a Rod Woodson and move to deep FS instead of having to be CUT!!

Retirement is good. Especially with his history of concussions I want to see Troy walking onto Heinz Field at 80 yrs old waving to fans!!

I can't say TROY is the Greatest SS of all time but I will say he was the biggest playmaker of all time.

I want to see what his hair looks like when he is 80. ;)

K Train
04-10-2015, 11:39 AM

You wanted to see him move to a position that completely exposes his worse flaws? CB to FS is a much more natural position change than SS to FS, which makes no sense

SteelSpain
04-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Thank you very much Mr Polamalu, my favorite steeler

:Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Ill miss you so much :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vindrow
04-10-2015, 11:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZxKDsSk.jpg

feltdizz
04-10-2015, 01:58 PM

Revis is about the money AND shutting down WR's.

Slapstick
04-10-2015, 02:09 PM

Well, Lott also played a lot of free safety at an All-Pro level as well...you could fit both in your defensive backfield...

SteelCrazy
04-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Titans wont forget Troy Polamalu

Hair.

Thats all Kerry Collins remembers seeing.

It belonged to Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, who timed the snap perfectly, jumped and tackled the Titans quarterback as soon as the football touched his hands.

I looked up, and all I saw was hair in my facemask, Collins recalled about the 2010 game. That play right there, it is indicative of the kind of player he was. He was very instinctive, very smart and a really tough guy to prepare for because he was so unorthodox, and so smart. He was a heck of a player, one of the best Ive ever played against, no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewSS9h3pEAU

Polamalu left his mark in games against the Titans and the rest of the NFL. On Friday the Steelers announced the safety is retiring after 12 seasons.

A first-round pick of the Steelers in 2003 out of USC, Polamalu was named to eight Pro Bowls, was NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2010 and will likely wind up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

He had 32 interceptions (including three returned for touchdowns), recovered seven fumbles and collected a dozen sacks all with his distinctive hair flowing from underneath his helmet.

Troy is a shining example of a football man in the way he loved the game, the way he respected the game and the way he played the game. Its a shining example of the window into who he is, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. He is a legendary Steeler and a legendary man.

The Titans are glad to see him go. In seven games against them, Polamalu had 22 tackles and three interceptions.

The play Collins recalled happened in the fourth quarter of a 2010 game the Steelers won 19-11. Polamalu also got Collins in the 2009 NFL season opener at Pittsburgh, snagging a pass intended for Kenny Britt with one hand for a highlight-reel interception. The Steelers went on to a 13-10 win in overtime.

In 2013, Polamalu busted through the Titans offensive line between center Rob Turner and guard Chance Warmack to tackle quarterback Jake Locker just as he took the snap. The Titans won that game 16-9.

The Titans did everything they could to be ready for the havoc-wreaking safety. Defensive back Donnie Nickey played the Polamalu role on the scout team during practices leading up to games against the Steelers, even wearing a wig.

He was just so hard to prepare for, said Collins, who played for the Titans from 2006-10. You always had to know where he was, and keep your eye on him and know at any point he could come out of nowhere and make an unbelievable play. He could make you look bad.

Former Titans safety Chris Hope was a Polamalu teammate from 2003-05 with the Steelers, with Hope switching from strong safety to free safety when Polamalu came into the league. They remained close friends even after Hope left Pittsburgh in 2006 to join Tennessee, where he played six seasons.

We still to this day call each other brothers from another mother, Hope said. From the time the Steelers drafted him, his charisma, his personality, his work ethic ... it all stood out. Hes probably the most instinctive player Ive ever been around.

A lot of people in my shoes might have been frustrated because he got all the limelight and awards, but he deserved it. ... Troy, he was a truly awesome guy on and off the field. Hes just a special guy. It was great being his teammate, and its great being his friend. And he had an incredible career.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/04/10/titans-steelers-troy-polamalu-kerry-collins-chris-hope/25597799/

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2015, 05:49 PM
You know that you are an all time great when there are articles praising you following your retirement in other NFL cities where you never played.

skyhawk
04-10-2015, 08:12 PM

Troy made plays the Ronnie Lott could never even attempt. And that's saying alot!!! Troy's speed and instinct makes him the best SS of all time. Lott had the pure physical skill during a much tougher era to be sure. No way is/can Troy be a nickel and dime player!! :) Come onnnn maaaaaan!!!

SteelCrazy
04-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Troy Polamalu paid for funeral of A&M player

Texas A&M defensive end Polo Manukainiu was tragically killed in a car accident while returning to Texas from Utah in July 2013. Also killed in the wreck were his younger brother Lolo Uhatafe and Utah defensive lineman Gaius Vaenuku.

There had been rumors after that fact that Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu had paid for the funeral of Manukainiu and Uhatafe but that story did not make a lot of sense due to the fact the likely future Hall-of-Famer had no ties to the family.

However, after Polamalu's retirement announcement on Thursday, Fox Sports reporter Bruce Feldman shared the story. According to Feldman, Polamalu asked for the contact information of Manukainiu's family. Unbeknownst to Feldman, Polamalu wanted the information in order to pay for the funeral for the brothers.

Twitter:

✔ @BruceFeldmanCFB

Got a quick Troy Polamalu story: CFB player died in an accident. TP's friend asked if I can get a # for the family. I track it down.

✔ @BruceFeldmanCFB

I figured Polamula was gonna send a card. I found out a month later from the person I got the # from TP paid for the entire funeral & more.

✔ @BruceFeldmanCFB

You know when you sometimes hear "Good player. Better person"? That's kinda Troy Polamalu. Only it's Hall of Fame player. Even better person

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Troy-Polamalu-paid-for-funeral-of-AM-player-36718083

bostonsteeler
04-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Troy Polamalu paid for funeral of A&M player

Texas A&M defensive end Polo Manukainiu was tragically killed in a car accident while returning to Texas from Utah in July 2013. Also killed in the wreck were his younger brother Lolo Uhatafe and Utah defensive lineman Gaius Vaenuku.

There had been rumors after that fact that Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu had paid for the funeral of Manukainiu and Uhatafe but that story did not make a lot of sense due to the fact the likely future Hall-of-Famer had no ties to the family.

However, after Polamalu's retirement announcement on Thursday, Fox Sports reporter Bruce Feldman shared the story. According to Feldman, Polamalu asked for the contact information of Manukainiu's family. Unbeknownst to Feldman, Polamalu wanted the information in order to pay for the funeral for the brothers.

Twitter:

✔ @BruceFeldmanCFB

Got a quick Troy Polamalu story: CFB player died in an accident. TP's friend asked if I can get a # for the family. I track it down.

✔ @BruceFeldmanCFB

I figured Polamula was gonna send a card. I found out a month later from the person I got the # from TP paid for the entire funeral & more.

✔ @BruceFeldmanCFB

You know when you sometimes hear "Good player. Better person"? That's kinda Troy Polamalu. Only it's Hall of Fame player. Even better person

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Troy-Polamalu-paid-for-funeral-of-AM-player-36718083

What a man!! Players like he give the team a halo.

K Train
04-11-2015, 12:20 AM
Andrew Hawkins tribute to Troy lol

https://instagram.com/p/1TdDTVENZU/

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Flacco on Polamalu.

Joe Flacco played Polamalu 14 times—11 in the regular season, three in the playoffs. From the first game-planning meeting in his rookie season, 2008, the mantra around the Ravens’ offensive meetings was always the same, according to Flacco: “Know where he is at all times—and not just in the passing game. Watch where he is before running plays, because he was a force against the run. Every time we played them, that’s the first thing we talked about, and we ended up talking about it all week.”

That postseason, Flacco and the Ravens went to Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship Game, and that point got hammered home—brutally, as it turned out for Flacco—in a piece of education Flacco will never forget. With less than five minutes left and the Steelers leading 16-14 in as physical and punishing a game as I’ve covered, Baltimore had a third-and-13. Flacco knew this could be their last chance. The call was for a two-man route—one on a deep route across the middle to, hopefully, clear out Polamalu and one corner; and one on a 15-yard corner stop, as the Ravens called it, with Derrick Mason running 15 yards and juking the corner on a timing route, knowing the ball could be coming to a small window when he turned and looked for it.

One problem: The Steelers were playing Polamalu at linebacker on the play. He’d be in coverage on ace Baltimore tight end Todd Heap. Except Heap never left the line. He was there to block. So Polamalu was free to be instinctive. That’s a dangerous deal.

“I kept my eyes up the middle, like I was going to the other guy,” Flacco said from his home in New Jersey on Saturday. “Troy was just hanging out. I think he knew what I was thinking. He knew where we wanted to go with it—we wanted to get the first down to extend the drive. I made a bad assumption, that the window would be a little bigger than it was. It wasn’t, because Troy was there.” Lurking.

Flacco threw to Mason, and if Polamalu hadn’t been there, the video makes it look like the ball might have been good enough for a conversion. Except Polamalu leaped high and snagged the ball two feet over his head. He weaved through traffic for the insurance touchdown, and Heinz Field went nuts. That was it. Pittsburgh 23, Baltimore 14.

“I learned a lot about Troy on that play, honestly,” Flacco said. “In the run game, you’re always going to run away from Troy. But when we were throwing, I’d just always try to throw away from him. You can’t do it all the time, and you can’t let it ruin your game, but there were so many things he did that other safeties just couldn’t do. There were times in games—he was the only guy I faced who did this—where he’d turn his back to the play and just sprint to a spot on the field where his football instincts told him the ball was going. He’d turn around a couple seconds later when he got close to the spot. Of the guys I played against, Troy was unique. I was lucky, because I got to face Ed every day in practice, and he was very good at baiting you too. But Troy was at the line more.”

Flacco said he’ll have great memories of playing against Polamalu. “Now [that he retired], I’ve got to take a step back and appreciate the games we played against him and the Steelers. I am a man of few words, and so is Troy, but I do know I’ll tell my children and grandchildren I was lucky enough to play in these games, and lucky enough to play against Troy so many times. Troy’s an example of the right way to do things, on the field and off the field. Such a great competitor on every play, and he treats everyone the right way. That’s the right way to handle yourself. The image he had, the example he set … he just did it right.”

“What were your conversations like?” I asked. “You get to know him very well?”

“No,” Flacco said. “I don’t remember him saying much. He let his play do the talking. But I made sure after the games we played to find him, shake his hand and look him in the eye and say, ‘Good game.’ I’ve never really talked to Troy beyond that.”

I closed by asking Flacco if he’d have some good memories of playing Polamalu, of the plays he made on Polamalu—and not just the nightmare in the title game.

Flacco laughed. “The only recollections I have of Troy are bad,” he said. “All bad. So no, I don’t have many good memories of making plays on him.”

It must be the cornball in me. I’ve seen so many of those Steelers-Ravens games, and seen the intensity and the on-field hatred, and it appeals to me that the triggerman of the Baltimore offense is so genuinely respectful of the best man on the other side of the field.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/13/troy-polamalu-retires-hall-of-fame-nfl/5/

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2015, 11:05 AM
LeBeau on Polamalu.

Dick LeBeau has played and coached in the NFL for the past 56 years. He entered the NFL in 1959 as a defensive back for Detroit, playing opposite Hall of Fame cornerback Night Train Lane, and transitioned to coaching when his playing career was done. He was Polamalu’s defensive coordinator with the Steelers for 11 of his 12 seasons.

This, then, is the money quote from LeBeau when I reached him Sunday:

“Troy is a once-in-a-lifetime player. I have never seen an athlete in the secondary, at any level, do as many things at the absolute highest level as Troy did. He could play linebacker; he played linebacker more than people know. He could go deep with wide receivers in coverage. He could blitz. He was a great tackler. He was an excellent run player. All the raw material you’d want in a defensive back, he had the best.”

“Are you including all the DBs you’ve seen in your life, going back to your playing days?” I asked.

“I do mean to say that,’’ LeBeau said. “Yes I do. I mean to say he has every skill a defensive back would need to play at the highest level, all over the defensive backfield.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/13/troy-polamalu-retires-hall-of-fame-nfl/5/

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2015, 02:46 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFfktxUWIAAsYg8.jpg:large