PDA

View Full Version : Bell suspended...

Steelwolf
04-09-2015, 09:36 AM
For 3 games and an additional game check per Adam shefter and he is appealing his decision

feltdizz
04-09-2015, 09:42 AM
damn... hope it gets reduced to 2 games after the appeal. Seems stiff for a first offense but we know why.

Steelwolf
04-09-2015, 09:44 AM
I agree with the 2 game suspension. Hope he learned his lesson

K Train
04-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Bull**** that Bowe got one for the same first offense last year.

Bouchette is right, bell is being punished under 2 different drug policies

Djfan
04-09-2015, 10:54 AM
The NFL under Goodell has some serious issues. This demonstrates another one - only break the rules if you play for the Cheats.

Discipline of Steel
04-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Bull**** that Bowe got one for the same first offense last year.

Bouchette is right, bell is being punished under 2 different drug policies

Not exactly the same, Bowe was speeding. Other than that, both had the same offense, driving under the influence and possesion.
So unless the rules have changed in the last year, both should have the same penalty. But i thought i read somewhere that a DUI was an automatic two game suspension.
Nothing is consistent....what was Bells mitigating factor that pushed him to three and loss of another paycheck?

K Train
04-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Not exactly the same, Bowe was speeding. Other than that, both had the same offense, driving under the influence and possesion.
So unless the rules have changed in the last year, both should have the same penalty. But i thought i read somewhere that a DUI was an automatic two game suspension.
Nothing is consistent....what was Bells mitigating factor that pushed him to three and loss of another paycheck?

Bell's offense happened prior to the new deal being struck but the "effective date" was made prior to the incident...so hes being punished under both.

DUI now is an automatic "next game after the incident"

SteelBucks
04-09-2015, 12:05 PM
I think it will be reduced to two games after the appeal.

Discipline of Steel
04-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Bell's offense happened prior to the new deal being struck but the "effective date" was made prior to the incident...so hes being punished under both.

DUI now is an automatic "next game after the incident"

OK so help me with my math....
The offense happened during the time when Dwayne Bowe got 1 game for the same thing.
Under current rules, DUI is an automatic 2 game suspension.
So 1 + 2 = 3? I guess that makes sense....:???:

papillon
04-09-2015, 01:31 PM
What was the final count on Ray rice?

Pappy

Ghost
04-09-2015, 02:45 PM
What was the final count on Ray rice?

Pappy

It was 2 games initially and Goodell vigorously defended that on numerous occassions to the press. It was only after TMZ forced his hand and released the video of the knockout that the NFL stepped in and made it an indefinite suspension.

Ghost
04-09-2015, 02:46 PM
This should be 2 games. Hopefully the appeal knocks a game off. Looks like it's D Williams' time!

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Sitting out 3 games and losing 4 game checks seems excessive considering that the incident occurred prior to the conduct policy revisions.

I could certainly see it being reduced to 2 games and 3 game checks on appeal.

Discipline of Steel
04-09-2015, 05:52 PM
OK so help me with my math....
The offense happened during the time when Dwayne Bowe got 1 game for the same thing.
Under current rules, DUI is an automatic 2 game suspension.
So 1 + 2 = 3? I guess that makes sense....:???:

Guess im not the only one who thinks Goodell still doesnt know how to use a calculator.

www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/4/9/8377019/steelers-rb-leveon-bell-violated-a-new-policy-but-vague-discipline-is

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell screwed up.
It's really that simple, as far as the offense goes. He screwed up, and he did so with his friend and teammate, LeGarrette Blount, alongside him. They were both in the car, they both admitted to smoking marijuana, they both tested positive.
Bell was the one operating the car, and marijuana's intoxicating chemical -- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) -- stays in the body a long time. He was operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant. Facts are facts, no matter your opinion of the situation.
Bell, the Steelers, many in sports media and a large contingent of fans expected a two-game ban, and few would argue that it wasn't warranted. He broke the rules. Even if he had been caught in a residence in Colorado, where the drug's use is legal, he broke rules the NFL collectively bargained with players. The argument of the validity of any punishment ends there.
So, when the league announced Thursday that Bell would be suspended for three games, to say that many fans were incensed over it would be putting it lightly.
In another professional American sports league with a longer season -- and, really, they all have longer seasons -- the difference between two games and three is pretty much a non-issue. In the NFL, though, that goes from 12.5 percent of the season to 18.75 percent. It's a huge difference, and a long time to be without arguably the team's most valuable player, at least based on last season.
The real crux of the problem, though, isn't even the difference between two and three games. It's that the NFL, who released their own revised drug policy just last September, isn't sticking to it. For reference, the entire policy can be found here, and a summary can be found right here on SB Nation.
Let's do a little math. First, let's assume this really is Bell's first offense, because we haven't heard of any problems before this. Discipline for a first offense of using marijuana is simply placement in the league's substance abuse program. That's all, nothing more. In fact, according to the policy, a player can be in violation three times without a suspension -- second offenses are a two-game fine, then a four-game fine; only on the fourth offense does a four-game suspension come into play. Remember that number, too, because it's part of the NFL's complete inability to do basic arithmetic.
There is a DUI to consider, of course. In the past, there was no penalty for a first offense; under the new drug policy, a first offense garners a two-game suspension. So here is the worst-case math at this point: assume Bell had already violated the marijuana-use portion of the policy three times prior, and this was his fourth offense. That's a four-gamer. Add in the DUI, which is two games, and you get six games. So, clearly, that wasn't the case.
What if he was a first-time offender on both counts? Well, that's zero plus two, which is two. Something just doesn't add up.
The complicating factor here is the personal conduct policy -- complicating not because it clearly evens out the math, but rather because it's not well-defined. Heck, see for yourself. The policy doesn't give the league wiggle room; it gives them carte blanche. Which is what they already had in the first place, before they revised it in the face of the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson issues last year in order to save face.
This is where having two distinct policies becomes a problem, especially when discipline is well-defined in one and not defined at all in the other. The only difference between Bell's case, at least in the case of possession, is that Bell was caught by law enforcement rather than the league's own testing mechanisms. Had it been the latter, he would be in the substance abuse program with no further discipline. But, because a criminal charge was filed, he faces discipline under the personal conduct policy, as well.
That serves a single purpose: so the NFL executives can cover their own rear-ends. Consider this: two players get high together in the restroom of a club. Neither is a past offender of the drug policy. Both walk home, but one walks past a police officer, who smells the drug's distinct odor, while the other does not. The second player tests positive during a random test a week later.
Both did the same thing, at the same time. Both got caught, but by two different authorities. The first player will get suspended under the personal conduct policy, while the second player gets a slap on the wrist. The only difference? Their routes home.
The tragedy here isn't that Bell is suspended. He broke the rules and had to be disciplined. The NFL were right, up to that point. However, it's clear they are applying both the drug policy and the personal conduct policy -- either that, or they are just doing what they've done for so long: making it up as they go. Either way, the end result is that it proves their "new and improved policies" do little to actually make substantive changes in the way they go about disciplining players.
Bell's one saving grace here may well be that NFL CEO Roger Goodell is no longer the person who hears appeals. Chances are good that the penalty will be reduced once the appeal is heard, and that this issue of farcical enforcement of poorly defined rules will be forgotten.
Which may very well be the biggest crime in this story.

JDSteeler
04-10-2015, 12:15 AM
I'm just so angry that Roger is still employed!! How is this possible???? He's ruined the game, makes up the rules as he goes along, and
has no friggin clue about nothing!!!!

This suspension is almost as bad as when he hit Ben with a six-gamer; reduced to 4, without charges even being filed!!!

Crooked-a$$ Roger almost lets Ray Rice get-off, there's no decision about Deflategate, and Seattle makes the craziest play-call in SB 49
to allow NE SB Victory after Roger is wined, dined and 69'd by Mr. Kraft!!

This guy is straight CROOKED!!! It is a saving grace that this POS isn't gonna here the appeal...bcuz he just mite add a game or two more, just to F the
Steelers, due to undenialable hatred of the team.

I wouldn't doubt for a second that Roger makes sure to have the Steelers open the 2015 season, on the road, for the first three games!!!

We just better kick some freaking @$$!!!!

JD

squidkid
04-10-2015, 07:52 AM
I'm just so angry that Roger is still employed!! How is this possible???? He's ruined the game, makes up the rules as he goes along, and

This suspension is almost as bad as when he hit Ben with a six-gamer; reduced to 4, without charges even being filed!!!

Crooked-a$$ Roger almost lets Ray Rice get-off, there's no decision about Deflategate, and Seattle makes the craziest play-call in SB 49

This guy is straight CROOKED!!! It is a saving grace that this POS isn't gonna here the appeal...bcuz he just mite add a game or two more, just to F the

I wouldn't doubt for a second that Roger makes sure to have the Steelers open the 2015 season, on the road, for the first three games!!!

JD

the owners love him, especially rooney. they support everything he does.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2015, 09:04 AM
All signs do point to us kicking off the season on Thursday, September 10th, in Foxboro, Mass.

K Train
04-10-2015, 09:13 AM
All signs do point to us kicking off the season on Thursday, September 10th, in Foxboro, Mass.

We hear this pretty much every year that we are on the defending champs schedule

SB champs always win the TNF opener, but the pats have a JV squad at CB right now so maybe it wouldnt be so terrible

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2015, 09:22 AM
We hear this pretty much every year that we are on the defending champs schedule

SB champs always win the TNF opener, but the pats have a JV squad at CB right now so maybe it wouldnt be so terrible

Without Bell, we'd certainly pass more that game, but of course, Brady wouldn't be shy about passing all over our own JV squad at CB.

K Train
04-10-2015, 09:25 AM
they lost blount for game one and lost ridley and vereen to FA...lol

Oviedo
04-10-2015, 09:58 AM

JD

Remember that Goodell is employed by the owners and not the fans. He has made the owners richer across the board so he is doing exactly what they hired him to do. The league is flourishing no matter how much "roll back the clock 20 years" sentiment there is on the part of some fans.

He is an absolute failure though as it comes to consistency and decision making. He is probably an A- for management and business development but a solid D for leadership.

Discipline of Steel
04-10-2015, 10:11 AM
they lost blount for game one and lost ridley and vereen to FA...lol

At least that kind of fair...no Bell or Blount for that contest, stemming from the same incident.

BTW, IIRC it took the Patriots a solid month or two before they started really gaining steam last year

Discipline of Steel
04-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Remember that Goodell is employed by the owners and not the fans. He has made the owners richer across the board so he is doing exactly what they hired him to do. The league is flourishing no matter how much "roll back the clock 20 years" sentiment there is on the part of some fans.

He is an absolute failure though as it comes to consistency and decision making. He is probably an A- for management and business development but a solid D for leadership.

Ill give him an A+ for greedy sow at the trough and an E- for wise king at the throne.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-10-2015, 10:30 AM
I don't understand Rooney. The more he slobberknocks Goodell, the more ankle-grabbing Goodell makes him do.

I think he likes it.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2015, 11:29 AM
At least that kind of fair...no Bell or Blount for that contest, stemming from the same incident.

BTW, IIRC it took the Patriots a solid month or two before they started really gaining steam last year

They could spend that day together rolling doobies and driving around town. ;)

ikestops85
04-10-2015, 12:49 PM

Well said Ovi. I think the owners have to watch out because at some point there will be a backlash to Goodell's inconsistency in his punishments and the league paying lip service to all the injury issues.

Moonie
04-10-2015, 12:56 PM
What kind of weed was he smoking? Panamanian Red? Oaxacan Gold? I bet Bell knows where to score primo weed.

Oviedo
04-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Ill give him an A+ for greedy sow at the trough and an E- for wise king at the throne.

I doubt you, me or anyone else on this board would consider it "greedy" if we were Goodell or an owner.

Oviedo
04-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Well said Ovi. I think the owners have to watch out because at some point there will be a backlash to Goodell's inconsistency in his punishments and the league paying lip service to all the injury issues.
There is absolutely zero indication that is going to happen in our lifetime. More money is rolling through the doors than ever was. The NFL is the most popular sport in America and nothing else is even close in terms of revenue or TV ratings. The game is slowly growing internationally which is only going to increase the revenues. Goodell even averted, or at least mitigated damage, from a potentially devastating concussion class action lawsuit that could have serious effected revenues. Goodell's inconsistencies and stumbles are nothing more than fodder for message boards and sports talk radio.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2015, 03:08 PM
What kind of weed was he smoking? Panamanian Red? Oaxacan Gold? I bet Bell knows where to score primo weed.

Perhaps Goodell determines his seemingly random suspensions on the basis of the type of weed smoked. In this case, I think it was the kind they had in the movie Grandma's Boy that makes you think you are a deer.

hawaiiansteel
04-10-2015, 05:35 PM
damn... hope it gets reduced to 2 games after the appeal. Seems stiff for a first offense but we know why.

I'm willing to bet a lot of $ that the suspension will be reduced to two games...

JDSteeler
04-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Goodell gets a fat, friggin "F-" for making the NFL a soft-@$$, BS rule-laden, farce!!!!

Can't so much as touch the QB with a finger (Ben excluded), can't hit a defenseless receiver, can't
trash talk, can't celebrate a TD, sack, or hard tackle.

Is there anybody out there who can explain to me the rule of a completed catch??!!

It goes without saying that the Pats* get a free pass on all the above...Goody, and Krafty have a
hide-the-willie love affair going on, so don't be surprised if they get all the calls!!!!

JD

Discipline of Steel
04-10-2015, 11:57 PM
I feel your pain.... we are all very angry...
https://youtu.be/XlVoD17y5y4 (https://youtu.be/XlVoD17y5y4)

Sugar
04-11-2015, 04:07 PM
I'm not angry about this in the least. I really wouldn't have been upset with 4 games. He was not only using an illegal substance, but doing it behind the wheel of a car. Not only that, but he did it prior to work in a manner of speaking.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-11-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm not angry about this in the least. I really wouldn't have been upset with 4 games. He was not only using an illegal substance, but doing it behind the wheel of a car. Not only that, but he did it prior to work in a manner of speaking.
$$$$$
It's serious business to be driving impaired. I hope Bell has learned his lesson. I'm just glad nobody got killed or injured because of his stupidity.

I think what some of the other posters are concerned about is that the league hasn't been consistent with their discipline for DUIs. One player gets one game, another gets three. But inconsistency has been the story of Uncle Rog's regime.

Sugar
04-12-2015, 08:24 AM
$$$$$
It's serious business to be driving impaired. I hope Bell has learned his lesson. I'm just glad nobody got killed or injured because of his stupidity.

I think what some of the other posters are concerned about is that the league hasn't been consistent with their discipline for DUIs. One player gets one game, another gets three. But inconsistency has been the story of Uncle Rog's regime.

It was my understanding that both Bell and Blount got one game for the weed. Bell got two more because he was the driver. I know the NFL hasn't been consistent on much, but it appears that those who complain that Blount got less time because he went to the Patriots are a bit off on this one.

Northern_Blitz
04-12-2015, 09:13 AM

I agree with this. Football is only a game, stuff like this kills people.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2015, 09:48 AM
It was my understanding that both Bell and Blount got one game for the weed. Bell got two more because he was the driver. I know the NFL hasn't been consistent on much, but it appears that those who complain that Blount got less time because he went to the Patriots are a bit off on this one.
I'm not at all upset about Bell's punishment relative to Blount's. When you drive impaired, that's a lot more serious, IMO. But Dwayne Bowe only got one game for DUI--and he was speeding, to boot. These are the kind of inconsistencies that exasperate fans.

Discipline of Steel
04-12-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm not at all upset about Bell's punishment relative to Blount's. When you drive impaired, that's a lot more serious, IMO. But Dwayne Bowe only got one game for DUI--and he was speeding, to boot. These are the kind of inconsistencies that exasperate fans.

You hit the nail on the head. If Bellcow is suspended one entire season for his crime because thats the rule, then so be it. But the rule at the time of commission was one game for a DUI, at least as far as Bowe was punished. The rules need to be clearly stated and evenly applied. Also, cant change the punishment after the fact and then retro it....this isnt Russia. The worst of all though, is that Bell's punishment doesn't match either of the rules, before or after...now we are into that shady area where its just up to whatever Goodell thinks is best. And he has proven to be highly inconsistent on this....particularly when dealing with the Steelers. Evidence of this rests in the fact that the Steeler players were the only team to not ratify the most recent CBA agreement over just this issue. (Side note: I think that vote signified the emergence of James Harrison as a leader on the team)

Djfan
04-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Every year for the last five or so years, it is getting harder and harder to get into the NFL. Coming from me that is an astonishing statement, but true. It just feels that there are beloved teams and hated teams. I guess I am glad that hunting season overlaps with the NFL. I have another passion to pursue instead. Steelers will always be my team, I just can't stand the NFL product anymore.

Sucks. I feel ripped off.

Slapstick
04-12-2015, 10:12 PM

People will say that there is not a big difference between driving under the influence of alcohol and driving under the influence of marijuana, but studies say that there is. Alcohol is a much more dangerous drug for a driver to be under the influence of, period.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2015, 11:06 PM
People will say that there is not a big difference between driving under the influence of alcohol and driving under the influence of marijuana, but studies say that there is. Alcohol is a much more dangerous drug for a driver to be under the influence of, period.

Among those who text and drive, T9 texters likely have fewer crashes than standard texters...might even be a big difference...but would that make a good argument for being lenient on T9 texters?

We could go down that whole slippery slope of pointing out that some people might be way more affected by a given amount of alcohol than others (same with pot). Are you going to be more lenient on the ones who have a higher tolerance? How would you pull that off?

Guess I'm not crazy about people driving impaired, whatever the degree.

fordfixer
04-12-2015, 11:24 PM

That don't make it less illegal

Slapstick
04-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Among those who text and drive, T9 texters likely have fewer crashes than standard texters...might even be a big difference...but would that make a good argument for being lenient on T9 texters?

We could go down that whole slippery slope of pointing out that some people might be way more affected by a given amount of alcohol than others (same with pot). Are you going to be more lenient on the ones who have a higher tolerance? How would you pull that off?

Guess I'm not crazy about people driving impaired, whatever the degree.

True. But going lenient on standard texters isn't a good argument either, but something analogous seems to be happening here.

Slapstick
04-13-2015, 06:08 AM
That don't make it less illegal

Littering isn't "less illegal" than murder, but the penalties are different.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-13-2015, 08:46 AM
My brother works in law enforcement. Not long ago, he was called to a wreck caused by a driver under the influence of pot--a wreck which claimed the life of an innocent victim. Automobile fatalities don't happen as much with marijuana as with alcohol, that may be true...but it's not much consolation to the family who lost a loved one in the aforementioned case. One death due to impaired driving is too many.

Slapstick
04-13-2015, 12:02 PM
My brother works in law enforcement. Not long ago, he was called to a wreck caused by a driver under the influence of pot--a wreck which claimed the life of an innocent victim. Automobile fatalities don't happen as much with marijuana as with alcohol, that may be true...but it's not much consolation to the family who lost a loved one in the aforementioned case. One death due to impaired driving is too many.

I don't think anyone is advocating driving under the influence of any substance. I just have a problem with Goodell's math:

Driving under the influence = 1 game (Bowe)
Possession of marijuana = 1 game (Blount)
Bell gets 3 games and another game check fine? BS

Just make it two games and be consistent instead of constantly adding extra punishments (like Ben and Harrison) because you play for the Steelers...

fordfixer
04-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Littering isn't "less illegal" than murder, but the penalties are different.

Wow....... really good comparison :roll:you should be come a lawyer....... my apology to all you lawyer's out there

JDSteeler
04-13-2015, 11:55 PM

Very good point!

I don't want to overshadow the fact that Bell made a huge mistake, and definitely hope he learns a lesson!

But my separate point, that I'm trying to make, is that Goody will do anything to screw the Steelers!!

To me, it's so obvious that Crooked Rog needs to get gone!!!

JD

Djfan
04-14-2015, 01:06 AM
Very good point!

I don't want to overshadow the fact that Bell made a huge mistake, and definitely hope he learns a lesson!

But my separate point, that I'm trying to make, is that Goody will do anything to screw the Steelers!!

To me, it's so obvious that Crooked Rog needs to get gone!!!

JD

Right. The point is not the severity of the offense, but the punishing agency. Let the law take its course and hit him hard. Let the NFL be consistant and not screw the Steelers again.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Right. The point is not the severity of the offense, but the punishing agency. Let the law take its course and hit him hard. Let the NFL be consistant and not screw the Steelers again.

Yes...the legal system is responsible for preventing DUI's, not necessarily your employer. It is up to the police to make sure that we don't have anyone like this total scumbag out on the streets continually impaired while behind the wheel of a two ton death machine:

Football writer Jim Dent faces long prison term after 10 DWIs

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 13, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

In August, we passed along a tidbit from the book Manziel Mania, which claimed that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was so close to drafting quarterback Johnny Manziel that Jones’s son Stephen had to take the card with Manziel’s name on it out of Jerry’s hand.

Little did we know that the story of the author of Manziel Mania was even crazier than the story of the goings-on in the Cowboys’ draft room: It turns out that at the very time Manziel Mania was generating headlines, author Jim Dent was on the lam in Mexico, having jumped bail because he was facing a long prison term in Texas after his 10th conviction for driving while intoxicated.

The Dallas Morning News has conducted a thorough investigation of Dent, who authored several well-regarded books about football, including The Junction Boys and King of the Cowboys: The Life and Times of Jerry Jones. Dent has now been caught and resides in the Collin County jail, where he awaits sentencing on Thursday on the DWI charges. In addition to the DWI sentence, he now faces a felony charge of bail jumping and failure to appear in court, which carries a sentence of up to 10 years in prison.

Dent promoted Manziel Mania from Mexico, using an Internet phone service that makes calls hard to trace so that he could conduct radio interviews to talk about the book without the authorities tracking him down. In all the news accounts of Manziel Mania — which got plenty of attention thanks to that headline-grabbing anecdote about the Cowboys’ draft room — no one mentioned that Dent was on the run from the law.

But the Dallas Morning News has done a thorough job of examining everything Dent has done: He has been convicted of DWI in five different counties in Texas, as well as convictions in Arkansas, Nevada and Oklahoma. One of his DWI arrests came on the very day he was released from jail for a previous DWI. He also has an active arrest warrant out for him in Arkansas because he failed to complete the alcohol counseling that was required as a result of his drunk driving conviction there. His former book agent says that organizing Dent’s schedule meant “juggling calls from five different lawyers in four different states,” and the agent eventually stopped working with Dent because of “too many late-night drunken calls.”

The law failed to stop Dent. His license was suspended but he kept driving anyway. He was ordered to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings but didn’t show. He was ordered to wear an ankle monitor, but he removed it. Dent promised in a jailhouse interview that he will never drink again, but that’s a promise he has broken before.

It’s a gripping story, one that Dent says he will write a book about. He’ll have plenty of time to finish it behind bars.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/13/football-writer-jim-dent-faces-long-prison-term-after-10-dwis/

Northern_Blitz
04-14-2015, 12:09 PM
I don't think anyone is advocating driving under the influence of any substance. I just have a problem with Goodell's math:

Driving under the influence = 1 game (Bowe)
Possession of marijuana = 1 game (Blount)
Bell gets 3 games and another game check fine? BS

Just make it two games and be consistent instead of constantly adding extra punishments (like Ben and Harrison) because you play for the Steelers...

The Bowe suspension isn't really a fair comparison because a new policy was instituted in between. In the wake of last season, the NFL is trying to get tougher on off the field stuff. Honestly, I think that's a good thing. Even when it impacts the team I cheer for.

Chucktownsteeler
04-14-2015, 12:25 PM
From my opinion I don't think this is an offense that should be taken lightly. Driving under the influence of any illegal substance should be dealt with accordingly to the serious of the offense. Ask anyone that has been injured or worse yet lost a loved one to the senseless act if they think a 3 game penalty is too harsh and let me know what they say. Couple that with players making mega-bucks and the world as an oyster, it is inconceivable to me they did not arrange for driver or ride.

Slapstick
04-14-2015, 12:26 PM
From my opinion I don't think this is an offense that should be taken lightly. Driving under the influence of any illegal substance should be dealt with accordingly to the serious of the offense. Ask anyone that has been injured or worse yet lost a loved one to the senseless act if they think a 3 game penalty is too harsh and let me know what they say. Couple that with players making mega-bucks and the world as an oyster, it is inconceivable to me they did not arrange for driver or ride.

Let the law come down hard on the criminals. Not the NFL.

hausparty
04-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Still hate that we didn't get Bush.
Williams is a nice change of pace back but he does alter our overall gameplan and we must now spend way too much time changing it to fit his style for the first 3 weeks of the season.
Even a nice article stating how the OL must pull their weight for the first 3 weeks. Everyone has to adjust and change because of this suspension when the simple fact with BUSH and ARCHER we wouldn't of had to adjust at all.

This is going to cost us IMO and when Bell comes back the OL will once again have to adjust and timing and such will be off which again will cost us longer than 3 weeks.

Only thing that can save us is an easy sked to start the year and a very EARLY bye week to help us adjust back to Bell when he comes back.

feltdizz
04-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Still hate that we didn't get Bush.
Williams is a nice change of pace back but he does alter our overall gameplan and we must now spend way too much time changing it to fit his style for the first 3 weeks of the season.
Even a nice article stating how the OL must pull their weight for the first 3 weeks. Everyone has to adjust and change because of this suspension when the simple fact with BUSH and ARCHER we wouldn't of had to adjust at all.

This is going to cost us IMO and when Bell comes back the OL will once again have to adjust and timing and such will be off which again will cost us longer than 3 weeks.

Only thing that can save us is an easy sked to start the year and a very EARLY bye week to help us adjust back to Bell when he comes back.

uh, no..I don't think the offense will change much.

I think we will block the same and DW will hit the hole instead of dancing or being "too patient" like Bell was last year. The things that made Bell great in the running game also hurt us once teams figured out they could wait hm out instead of trying to attack him.

Bell left a ton of yards on the field in the running game

hausparty
04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
The patient style also created more running yards as well so I guess it depends how you look at it!
Was he patient because the OL needed more time to open up those holes? If that's the case how can DW find the lane that quick?
Again depends how you look at it but we had BLOUNT who was that type of runner and it didn't work. 8 men in the box is still 8 men in the box! You don't play 8 in a box when you have a threat like Bell in the passing game and you sure wont play it against a Reggie Bush or a Dri Archer and to me that's a win for the Steelers Offense.

We will have to see but to me I still hate this signing other than the fact he's a damn good character type guy.

feltdizz
04-14-2015, 03:04 PM
The patient style also created more running yards as well so I guess it depends how you look at it!
Was he patient because the OL needed more time to open up those holes? If that's the case how can DW find the lane that quick?
Again depends how you look at it but we had BLOUNT who was that type of runner and it didn't work. 8 men in the box is still 8 men in the box! You don't play 8 in a box when you have a threat like Bell in the passing game and you sure wont play it against a Reggie Bush or a Dri Archer and to me that's a win for the Steelers Offense.

We will have to see but to me I still hate this signing other than the fact he's a damn good character type guy.

Sometimes there weren't holes and Bell made things happen. That is what makes him great, but when there was a hole there were times that he didn't hit it and that led to games where he had 15 touches for 25 yards. There will be times when DW gets stuffed, it happens. However, it's only 3 games and hopefully we weather the storm.

DW is a threat in the passing game so the Blount comparison doesn't hold water.

and like you said, we still have Archer and he should get more touches this year.

Chucktownsteeler
04-14-2015, 04:16 PM

Let them both come down hard. I have no sympathy for anyone charged with DUI, especially in this day and age. Ever hear of Uber, a taxi, a limo?

Slapstick
04-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Let them both come down hard. I have no sympathy for anyone charged with DUI, especially in this day and age. Ever hear of Uber, a taxi, a limo?

You can feel however you want.

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2015, 04:57 PM

the NFLPA needs to take that power away from Goodell the next time they can...

Chucktownsteeler
04-14-2015, 04:59 PM
You can feel however you want.

Gee thanks, in my opinion this is a serious offense that should never be taken lightly.

Chucktownsteeler
04-14-2015, 05:00 PM
the NFLPA needs to take that power away from Goodell the next time they can...

The last time I checked the teams voting went 31 to 1, with only our beloved Steelers voting "No". I doubt any power is taken away from Mein Furher Goodell anytime soon.

ikestops85
04-14-2015, 05:14 PM
The last time I checked the teams voting went 31 to 1, with only our beloved Steelers voting "No". I doubt any power is taken away from Mein Furher Goodell anytime soon.

I think Goodell's rulings have pi$$ed off many players now. Before the last collective bargaining agreement Harrison was his whipping but after that agreement he went after several players who voiced the unfairness of Goodell's rulings. Hopefully they have learned better before the next bargaining agreement comes up.

Slapstick
04-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Gee thanks, in my opinion this is a serious offense that should never be taken lightly.

Anytime...