PDA

View Full Version : Who is this guy in this years draft?

legend of polamalu
03-29-2015, 10:35 PM
I don't care what round but we need a Defensive player with a mouth, a leader not afraid of getting into the face of another player.
Joey Porter type AND Physical as all get out.
Lately its been some quality guys but their not vocal leaders or someone to put the fear in opposing teams.

So who is this years trash talking, vocal leader we have missed on the past several drafts? Timmons is great, Worilds was alright, but it seems we keep drafting guys without the physical, vocal. tough mentality. (J. Lambert)

Round isn't important...I just want this guy on our team this year. So who the heck is he? HELP!

Chadman
03-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikk_ax9nvs

Mr.wizard
03-29-2015, 11:16 PM
I think its an overrated quality to look for in a player, Im sure we have plenty of hard ass dudes on our defense. In the NFL you are not going to beat teams by intimidation or out hyping them, you beat them with talent and execution. Besides asking a rookie to come into a locker room and start jumping on guys when he hasn't done anything is recipe for disaster.

legend of polamalu
03-29-2015, 11:39 PM
I think its an overrated quality to look for in a player, Im sure we have plenty of hard ass dudes on our defense. In the NFL you are not going to beat teams by intimidation or out hyping them, you beat them with talent and execution. Besides asking a rookie to come into a locker room and start jumping on guys when he hasn't done anything is recipe for disaster.

I disagree! Yes, its mostly talent and execution, but when the want, the attitude and the intimidation is there...it makes a difference. Remember in Superbowl 40. Seattle's TE talked trash with Joey Porter. We cam out an laid the lumber. He looked scared and dropped about 5 balls. You don't think guys were a little nervous going against Mean Joe Greene and Jack Lambert? Its an edge I want back. I want football players that want to play, and play hard with an attitude.
(SUH, SHERMAN).

Mr.wizard
03-29-2015, 11:50 PM
I disagree! Yes, its mostly talent and execution, but when the want, the attitude and the intimidation is there...it makes a difference. Remember in Superbowl 40. Seattle's TE talked trash with Joey Porter. We cam out an laid the lumber. He looked scared and dropped about 5 balls. You don't think guys were a little nervous going against Mean Joe Greene and Jack Lambert? Its an edge I want back. I want football players that want to play, and play hard with an attitude.
(SUH, SHERMAN).

No honestly I don't, when you put the pads on and your on the field, your not thinking about who the other guy is. Running backs are not taking the ball and avoiding holes because suh is on the other side. Qb's don't go away from Sherman because he has attitude, they go away from him because he can cover. A bunch of hard asses are not going to intimidate a bunch of hard asses, every team has them.

Coolie Man
03-30-2015, 06:30 AM

This ^^^^^^^^^

chiken
03-30-2015, 08:00 AM
I agree with this but I think your looking at it wrong, its not intimidating the other team, it's picking the level of your own team up. To me thats what the great leaders on our Defense did. The best stories about Mean Joe were not from opponents but from his own teammates and coaches. The guy at one point was ready to quit the team because they (sucked) were playing so bad. His Teammates was afraid to under perform. He rose the level.. Same stuff with Lloyd and Porter. I think thats a key piece thats been missing from our recent Defenses. A real bad guy.
with all that said I think this year C Heyward becomes that guy - the Vocal leader. The bad guy. (he has been good but very quiet to this point) He is Violent, he is Talented and he plays Angry.

Steelhere10
03-30-2015, 08:08 AM
You can't intimidate anymore with Goodell , because even if you are a hard hitter that talk trash you can't hit hard anymore or you get fined so players know that.

Steelhere10
03-30-2015, 08:09 AM
5 years ago that was a quality that everyone wanted, now is useless.

Shawn
03-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Those kind of guys even at the professional level are not only able to elevate their concentration and execution, but those of their teammates. No one can tell me that having guys like Porter and Ray Lewis didn't elevate the whole teams play riding off their energy.

K Train
03-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Havent you ever seen Heyward and Pouncey play? All they do is talk **** lol

BradshawsHairdresser
03-30-2015, 09:08 AM
Havent you ever seen Heyward and Pouncey play? All they do is talk **** lol

I think Heyward might be that vocal defensive leader that Legend was talking about.

Discipline of Steel
03-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Im on the other side of the argument...you cant underestimate what the presence of a true enforcer (Lambert, Lloyd, Harrison) does for the attitude of the entire team. Those players are great in their own right, and they also make everyone around them better. Unfortunately, those types are few and far between, and i dont think there is a way to identify those rare gems coming out of college. What sux about Goodell is his efforts to reduce the impact (both literally and figuratively) of those special players....turning heroes into the bad guys with fines et al.

feltdizz
03-30-2015, 11:54 AM
No honestly I don't, when you put the pads on and your on the field, your not thinking about who the other guy is. Running backs are not taking the ball and avoiding holes because suh is on the other side. Qb's don't go away from Sherman because he has attitude, they go away from him because he can cover. A bunch of hard asses are not going to intimidate a bunch of hard asses, every team has them.

I disagree.. a vocal leader elevates HIS team. He challenges HIS teammates to play better...

He knows how to bring out the fire in certain individuals who may be going through the motions or lacks focus for 60 minutes due to a variety of reasons.

legend of polamalu
03-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Can I just get some names? It is fine to have this argument but I just wanted to know of some Steeler type players. I am behind on my knowledge of players this year.

squidkid
03-30-2015, 03:00 PM
i can only assume that the fans that are saying having a vocal, emotional leader on the field isnt important never have played a competitive sport

Shoe
03-31-2015, 12:33 AM
Can I just get some names? It is fine to have this argument but I just wanted to know of some Steeler type players. I am behind on my knowledge of players this year.

I just don't think it is that easy.

As said (above), Heyward and Pouncey talk smack all the time. That doesn't make you a Peezy or Lloyd. I think Heyward is a good complementary "ass kicker" (the term I've always used for the role), but we do need more in that department (I agree). Guys like that (e.g. Peezy) have an emotional intensity that is just that much higher than others. That's why it isn't so easy to throw out names.

Oviedo
03-31-2015, 07:24 AM
What sux about Goodell is his efforts to reduce the impact (both literally and figuratively) of those special players....turning heroes into the bad guys with fines et al.

True, but that is the NFL so a different type of leader needs to step up. The NFL isn't ever rolling back the clock.

Flasteel
03-31-2015, 10:10 AM
If you don't have the skillset to dominate your opponent, your attitude won't take you very far. You need a guy who's got the whole package in terms of talent, drive, and mind-set. I'm liking this guy more and more because I think he's got those goods:

http://pit.scout.com/story/1521477-post-combine-here-s-my-guy

K Train
03-31-2015, 10:12 AM
If you don't have the skillset to dominate your opponent, your attitude won't take you very far. You need a guy who's got the whole package in terms of talent, drive, and mind-set. I'm liking this guy more and more because I think he's got those goods:

http://pit.scout.com/story/1521477-post-combine-here-s-my-guy
No question.

The man is a violent player who constantly punishes his opponent.

Shawn
03-31-2015, 10:49 AM

http://pit.scout.com/story/1521477-post-combine-here-s-my-guy The more I watch of him, the more I believe he is the pick.

Shawn
03-31-2015, 11:00 AM
BTW-I was big on Woodley coming out of Michigan. Studied him a lot. Od is Woodley 2.0. That is what you are getting. But, I think Od has more heart than Woodley. I don't think he will cash out. My ONLY concern is his hip.

Mr.wizard
03-31-2015, 08:58 PM
I disagree.. a vocal leader elevates HIS team. He challenges HIS teammates to play better...

He knows how to bring out the fire in certain individuals who may be going through the motions or lacks focus for 60 minutes due to a variety of reasons.

That's all just fan speak, All of the perceived great vocal leaders where considered that because they where on good teams. Nfl teams are filled with firey guys, players, coaches, fans, priests, and motivational speakers. Drew brees is considered a great leader and they where terrible last year, despite all of the choreographed pre game motivational chants. It boils down to football talent and execution, all that nfl films stuff is just window dressing.

K Train
04-01-2015, 09:43 AM
BTW-I was big on Woodley coming out of Michigan. Studied him a lot. Od is Woodley 2.0. That is what you are getting. But, I think Od has more heart than Woodley. I don't think he will cash out. My ONLY concern is his hip.
I see some similarities, I thought woodley was a bit soft coming out....he really came in and played well from day one though.

Odighizuwa is more like woodleys size with harrisons violence and demeanor....which you can sign me up for any day.

His functional strength is just flat out rare for a college prospect at DE/OLB

Shawn
04-01-2015, 09:58 AM
I see some similarities, I thought woodley was a bit soft coming out....he really came in and played well from day one though.

Odighizuwa is more like woodleys size with harrisons violence and demeanor....which you can sign me up for any day.

His functional strength is just flat out rare for a college prospect at DE/OLB Agreed. He doesn't seem like a Tomlin pick. He seems like a Cowher pick. I think this guy has all the tools to be very special.

K Train
04-01-2015, 10:12 AM
What doesnt he seem like a tomlin pick? (they are all pretty much Colbert picks i think)

Woodley was tomlins second draft pick lol

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2015, 10:21 AM
What doesnt he seem like a tomlin pick? (they are all pretty much Colbert picks i think)

Woodley was tomlins second draft pick lol

Cam Heyward was also a top Tomlin pick, and he's a pretty nasty violent dude.

Shawn
04-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Woodley was tomlins second draft pick lol I have noticed a major switch in philosophy as of recent. Speed and athleticism over toughness and technical skill. Whether that has anything to do with Tomlin, I don't know. As for Woodley, I don't think Tomlin had as much say on the front end of this career with the Steelers. Heyward is indeed a beast but he is also on the DL. They have been picking less physical and smallish LBrs as of recent...ie JJ and Shazier. Coincidence? Possibly. Just an observation. If they go with Dupree over OD then it will further engrain what I am seeing.

Shawn
04-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Oh yeah not to mention Ziggy Hood. I mean could they have drafted a guy who looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane? Dupree is Hood 2.0.

K Train
04-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Who were these tough and technically skills players that you are talking about? Aside from Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton?

Porter? Speed product at 6-4 244
Kendrell Bell? 6-1 234...SMALLER than Shazier
Larry Foote? Another undersized LB
How about Farrior? A vastly undersized MLB
Alonzo Jackson?
How about polamalu? Freakishly athletic, completely undersized USC product?

I guess Shaun Nua, Orien Harris, and Anthony smith were all "tough players" lol

K Train
04-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Oh yeah not to mention Ziggy Hood. I mean could they have drafted a guy who looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane? Dupree is Hood 2.0.

Hood was a blunder in a year they really needed DL. I was angry at the pick for a long long time but i forgive them.

Shawn
04-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Who were these tough and technically skills players that you are talking about? Aside from Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton?

Porter? Speed product at 6-4 244
Kendrell Bell? 6-1 234...SMALLER than Shazier
Larry Foote? Another undersized LB
How about Farrior? A vastly undersized MLB
Alonzo Jackson?
How about polamalu? Freakishly athletic, completely undersized USC product?

I guess Shaun Nua, Orien Harris, and Anthony smith were all "tough players" lol
You made my point for me. Most of those guys besides Alonzo were very physical players. Bell might have been the most physical player we have had since Lambert. Farrior was a run stuffing beast. Porter wasn't just finesse, as he could lock horns as well. That's what we are missing in recent drafts. We pass on a guy like Mosley because he didn't have the 40 time. We draft Ziggy Hood. We draft JJ who really only had one contested sack his senior season and that was a running back he got past. I am noticing a trend. Could be a coincidence but I'm thinking not. And when we draft Dupree over a guy like OD, I'll know Im right.

birtikidis
04-01-2015, 11:07 AM
You made my point for me. Most of those guys besides Alonzo were very physical players. Bell might have been the most physical player we have had since Lambert. Farrior was a run stuffing beast. Porter wasn't just finesse, as he could lock horns as well. That's what we are missing in recent drafts. We pass on a guy like Mosley because he didn't have the 40 time. We draft Ziggy Hood. We draft JJ who really only had one contested sack his senior season and that was a running back he got past. I am noticing a trend. Could be a coincidence but I'm thinking not. And when we draft Dupree over a guy like OD, I'll know Im right.
I think we passed on Mosley more because of the long line of disappointing LB'rs out of Alabama and his injury history more than his 40 time.
For all you know, Mosely could blow out that knee again and be forced to leave football. One season a great career does not make.

birtikidis
04-01-2015, 11:08 AM
sorry, it was his shoulder and hip, not his knee.

K Train
04-01-2015, 11:16 AM

I think you are looking at Jones and Shazier and falsely making conclusions about their toughness. Shazier's knee getting rolled up on isnt a good measure of his toughness. Jones has looked slow at times, but not soft...hes not putting up sack numbers but he has no quit in him and if you are going to talk about "one contested sack" you can talk about leading the nation in TFL too.

Hood was soft, i wont contest that ever.

Then Timmons, Woodley, Heyward, Tuitt, and even Harrison who won over Tomlin but not Cowher are all very tough players.

You are looking at shaziers ridiculous speed and making a conclusion that they are the Al Davis raiders now, thats just not true. They took him over mosely because they liked him, his value was right around there, and they are familiar with the program. Some people hate that, but it works like that an AWFUL lot around the league

Then they draft a 6-8 350 pound NT....

I dont know how old you are but you are doing the same thing all old guys do in being convinced the past was always better, or tougher, previous generations always reign supreme blah blah blah.

Also, I hope Dupree is not the pick over Odighizuwa....really im hoping they trade up for ray though.....is he soft too just because hes fast?

Slapstick
04-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Hood was a blunder in a year they really needed DL. I was angry at the pick for a long long time but i forgive them.

Perhaps, but there were no real players at that point in the draft...look at the names drafted after Hood...maybe one or two names of better players, but that's about it...

K Train
04-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Perhaps, but there were no real players at that point in the draft...look at the names drafted after Hood...maybe one or two names of better players, but that's about it...

Awful draft....could have had Maualuga or Darius Butler.

Yuck lol

Shawn
04-01-2015, 12:43 PM
I think we passed on Mosley more because of the long line of disappointing LB'rs out of Alabama and his injury history more than his 40 time.
For all you know, Mosely could blow out that knee again and be forced to leave football. One season a great career does not make. I would think anyone with minimal football knowledge could have seen Mosley was a player. The school shouldn't have any bearing.

Shawn
04-01-2015, 12:50 PM
I think you are looking at Jones and Shazier and falsely making conclusions about their toughness. Shazier's knee getting rolled up on isnt a good measure of his toughness. Jones has looked slow at times, but not soft...hes not putting up sack numbers but he has no quit in him and if you are going to talk about "one contested sack" you can talk about leading the nation in TFL too.

Hood was soft, i wont contest that ever.

Then Timmons, Woodley, Heyward, Tuitt, and even Harrison who won over Tomlin but not Cowher are all very tough players.

You are looking at shaziers ridiculous speed and making a conclusion that they are the Al Davis raiders now, thats just not true. They took him over mosely because they liked him, his value was right around there, and they are familiar with the program. Some people hate that, but it works like that an AWFUL lot around the league

Then they draft a 6-8 350 pound NT....

I dont know how old you are but you are doing the same thing all old guys do in being convinced the past was always better, or tougher, previous generations always reign supreme blah blah blah.

Also, I hope Dupree is not the pick over Odighizuwa....really im hoping they trade up for ray though.....is he soft too just because hes fast?

I don't base my opinion of toughness on their 40 times. I base it on the game play. I doubt many have seen more of Shazier than myself including Steeler staff before the 2014 draft. He wasn't "soft" but he wasn't physical. He was easily washed out of plays and locked up. He didn't out muscle many people. He was fast, athleticm shot gaps with the best of em but didn't out muscle anyone. He wasn't known for his toughness. JJ IMO is more physical but lacked serious strength coming into the league. He didn't beat but one guy for a sack his senior year. I think he is getting better and stronger and will eventually be a good lbr for us. I also think Shazier is going to pan out eventually. But, neither are truly physical guys.

K Train
04-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I would think anyone with minimal football knowledge could have seen Mosley was a player. The school shouldn't have any bearing.

Same thing could be said about Shazier though.

Mosely is probably the better MLB prospect because shazier is a true WILL backer but from a team looking to be "more multiple" he is an excellent piece to have

Shawn
04-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Same thing could be said about Shazier though.

Mosely is probably the better MLB prospect because shazier is a true WILL backer but from a team looking to be "more multiple" he is an excellent piece to have You won't get any argument from me here. Shazier brings a certain ability to move him all over the field. I believe that's how they will use him eventually, if not this season. His first step is ridiculous and I honestly don't think there is a RT in the league who can block him when he gets the jump. tOSU moved him around effectively. Why not here?

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2015, 01:26 PM
I don't base my opinion of toughness on their 40 times. I base it on the game play. I doubt many have seen more of Shazier than myself including Steeler staff before the 2014 draft. He wasn't "soft" but he wasn't physical. He was easily washed out of plays and locked up. He didn't out muscle many people. He was fast, athleticm shot gaps with the best of em but didn't out muscle anyone. He wasn't known for his toughness. JJ IMO is more physical but lacked serious strength coming into the league. He didn't beat but one guy for a sack his senior year. I think he is getting better and stronger and will eventually be a good lbr for us. I also think Shazier is going to pan out eventually. But, neither are truly physical guys.

Shazier and Mosely were both ranked similarly last year. Both were bonafide first round talents, but were available in the middle of the round because teams value QB's, OT's, pass rushers, and corners more than ILB's in this day and age. Shazier had more speed and less of an injury history than Mosley coming out. Once upon a time, Timmons was the speedy young linebacker, but at this point in his career, he is the consistent physical presence in the middle. Once upon a time, Polamalu was able to be a quasi-safety-linebacker-hybrid who was physically gifted enough to be the disruptive rover wildcard of our defense, but those abilities have obviously significantly declined with age. Drafting Shazier gave them someone with attributes of a young Timmons and a young Polamalu, since they no longer had a player like either of those guys in their younger days. Drafting Mosley would have given them someone who is similar to what Timmons is for us now. Would getting another Timmons be a good thing? Sure. But Shazier was more of a unique prospect, and I'm not surprised that team went that route. Mosely would have been a solid pick as well, but teams often get similar type players in the second round (Bobby Wagner, James Laurinaitis, Paul Pozluszny, etc.).

Slapstick
04-01-2015, 01:46 PM
I don't understand the complaints about drafting Shazier and Jarvis Jones...

They were two of the most productive LBs in college when they were drafted...people complain about "finesse" and "speed" when they could just as easily look at the production...

That would be the only thing to make me nervous about Ogidhizuwa and Dupree...though if Ogidhizuwa's hips are healed, you at least have a true reason why he didn't produce...and his best stretch of games were his last six, IIRC...

Shawn
04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I don't understand the complaints about drafting Shazier and Jarvis Jones...

They were two of the most productive LBs in college when they were drafted...people complain about "finesse" and "speed" when they could just as easily look at the production...

That would be the only thing to make me nervous about Ogidhizuwa and Dupree...though if Ogidhizuwa's hips are healed, you at least have a true reason why he didn't produce...and his best stretch of games were his last six, IIRC... There are many highly productive QBs as well, doesn't mean they are ideal first round picks. Also, I'm not really "complaining" about either pick. I am making an argument that physicality and pure technical skills are taking a back burner to speed and athleticism in recent drafts. I believe the new regime believes there are certain physical traits you cant teach and they value that over a polished product, they value you that over a guy who will lock horns and hit you in the mouth. It's a partial reason why this D is no longer feared, no longer intimidating and I don't see that changing with JJ or Shazier.

Shawn
04-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Shazier and Mosely were both ranked similarly last year. Both were bonafide first round talents, but were available in the middle of the round because teams value QB's, OT's, pass rushers, and corners more than ILB's in this day and age. Shazier had more speed and less of an injury history than Mosley coming out. Once upon a time, Timmons was the speedy young linebacker, but at this point in his career, he is the consistent physical presence in the middle. Once upon a time, Polamalu was able to be a quasi-safety-linebacker-hybrid who was physically gifted enough to be the disruptive rover wildcard of our defense, but those abilities have obviously significantly declined with age. Drafting Shazier gave them someone with attributes of a young Timmons and a young Polamalu, since they no longer had a player like either of those guys in their younger days. Drafting Mosley would have given them someone who is similar to what Timmons is for us now. Would getting another Timmons be a good thing? Sure. But Shazier was more of a unique prospect, and I'm not surprised that team went that route. Mosely would have been a solid pick as well, but teams often get similar type players in the second round (Bobby Wagner, James Laurinaitis, Paul Pozluszny, etc.). I don't disagree with any of that. I understand the reasoning.

birtikidis
04-01-2015, 02:20 PM
I would think anyone with minimal football knowledge could have seen Mosley was a player. The school shouldn't have any bearing.
So guys that excel in a system are never passed on because they're looked at as system guys? Really?
There are tons of guys that that happens to every year. And the people that pass on them have a lot more football knowledge then you ever will.

Shawn
04-01-2015, 02:23 PM
So guys that excel in a system are never passed on because they're looked at as system guys? Really?
There are tons of guys that that happens to every year. And the people that pass on them have a lot more football knowledge then you ever will. Alabama runs a pro style D. What are you talking about?

Slapstick
04-01-2015, 03:45 PM
There are many highly productive QBs as well, doesn't mean they are ideal first round picks. Also, I'm not really "complaining" about either pick. I am making an argument that physicality and pure technical skills are taking a back burner to speed and athleticism in recent drafts. I believe the new regime believes there are certain physical traits you cant teach and they value that over a polished product, they value you that over a guy who will lock horns and hit you in the mouth. It's a partial reason why this D is no longer feared, no longer intimidating and I don't see that changing with JJ or Shazier.

Eh, the QB is a false comparison. As a position, in both college and the pros, QB is unique.

I would say that productivity is taking precedence in those cases. It may just mean that the speedier more athletic guys are more productive?

Shawn
04-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Eh, the QB is a false comparison. As a position, in both college and the pros, QB is unique.

I would say that productivity is taking precedence in those cases. It may just mean that the speedier more athletic guys are more productive? Not sure what your point is unless you are trying to say college productivity most often translates to pro productivity. And while I believe there to be a correlation, just because someone was productive in college it doesn't make them a worthy first round pick.

Slapstick
04-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Not sure what your point is unless you are trying to say college productivity most often translates to pro productivity. And while I believe there to be a correlation, just because someone was productive in college it doesn't make them a worthy first round pick.

Agreed. Also, just because somebody is mean, it doesn't necessarily make them a worthy first round pick. As the draft saying goes, "tape doesn't lie".

Shawn
04-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Agreed. Also, just because somebody is mean, it doesn't necessarily make them a worthy first round pick. As the draft saying goes, "tape doesn't lie". I would never make that assumption.

Slapstick
04-01-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm not saying that you are, but you seem to be making the assertion that the philosophy of drafting players has changed whereas I believe they are just drafting the best football players available.

Shawn
04-01-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm not saying that you are, but you seem to be making the assertion that the philosophy of drafting players has changed whereas I believe they are just drafting the best football players available. I believe the best players in their minds are the less technically sound, speedy guys. So, I suppose you are right about that.

K Train
04-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Yeah Antonio Brown and Kelvin Beachum....not technically sound right?

Brown with his blazing 4.5 40 lol

Discipline of Steel
04-01-2015, 06:24 PM
I believe the best players in their minds are the less technically sound, speedy guys. So, I suppose you are right about that.

I would have to agree that each team has a little different philosophy when it comes to the kind of players they like. If you accept that, you would have to agree that a teams philosophy can change over time. Speed does seem to be more important to the Steelers lately, perhaps they believe those players are better suited for today's NFL with all the new rules.

Chadman
04-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Speed, explosiveness & agility have all been "high priority" traits of the Steelers since Tomlin came in.

Athlets. Run-and-hit guys. Whatever else he calls them.

Timmons, Shazier, Brown, Wallace, Sanders, Allen.... you can name just about any 'skill position Steeler' and see that their speed, their cone drills, their jumping ability...it's all at least higher than average. The only exception to the rule might be Jarvis Jones.

It doesn't make them better or worse football players, but it certainly shows that Tomlin/Colbert view athletic traits highly enough that they look for premium athletes in the draft.

Shawn
04-01-2015, 08:15 PM
I would have to agree that each team has a little different philosophy when it comes to the kind of players they like. If you accept that, you would have to agree that a teams philosophy can change over time. Speed does seem to be more important to the Steelers lately, perhaps they believe those players are better suited for today's NFL with all the new rules. Glad I'm not the only one who is seeing it. There appears to be a different mind set with drafting ie Dri Archer, Shazier. I agree there are probably some rules changes that are playing a role in their selections. It's becoming a less physical NFL and they are changing with the times. I do believe it's part of the reason we have suffered in stopping the run. The loss of guys like Foote, Aaron Smith, Farrior were huge. We are drafting guys with the premium picks that are track stars but less technically sound. Anyone seeing Shazier and thinking he was anywhere close to being a quality NFL starter out of the gate would be deceiving themselves. Mosley was exactly that. He would have been a traditional Steeler selection. No way 10 years ago would the Steelers spend a 3rd rounder on a pure speed guy who would rarely touch the ball...from a small school none the less. This is a different approach in drafting. And I would bet if you asked the Steelers they would even acknowledge there has been a shift in what they like when it comes to football players. Does this hurt the Steelers in the physicality department? I think so. It's my opinion. Guess those with their panties in a bunch will just have to get over it.

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Dri Archer's small school also gave us Jack Lambert and James Harrison. He played in the same conference that produced Ben Roethlisberger.

feltdizz
04-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Dri Archer's small school also gave us Jack Lambert and James Harrison. He played in the same conference that produced Ben Roethlisberger.
Yup... sometimes we draft guys and they dont pan out immediately or at all.

Ike Taylor is loved by all and he went to Louisiana Lafeyette

fordfixer
04-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Not sure what your point is unless you are trying to say college productivity most often translates to pro productivity. And while I believe there to be a correlation, just because someone was productive in college it doesn't make them a worthy first round pick.

Ryan Leaf would agree with this

Shawn
04-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Dri Archer's small school also gave us Jack Lambert and James Harrison. He played in the same conference that produced Ben Roethlisberger. you must have missed my main point.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2015, 10:14 AM
sorry, it was his shoulder and hip, not his knee.

Ravens Pro Bowl linebacker C.J. Mosley had offseason wrist surgery, sources say

Aaron Wilson, The Baltimore Sun

Updated at 8:36 am

Ravens Pro Bowl inside linebacker C.J. Mosley underwent offseason wrist surgery, according to league sources.

Mosley is expected to make a complete recovery and should be able to participate in offseason practices and workouts.

He finished second to St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald in NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year balloting.

Mosley led all rookies and the Ravens with 133 tackles and finished seventh overall in the NFL. He also recorded three sacks, two interceptions, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Playing the most defensive snaps (1,080) of any Ravens player last season, Mosley was in for all but 15 of the team's defensive snaps during the regular season.

After being drafted 17th overall in May, the former consensus All-American and Butkus Award winner from Alabama became an immediate starter. He was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month in October and December.

"C.J. understands what the linebacker position is about," retired Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis told The Baltimore Sun last season. "Forget mistakes; the kid just finds the football. He has a great knack. He makes the game simple. He was a ball hawk in college, and he's picking up where he left off."

Although Mosley excelled as a run stopper and blitzer, the 22-year-old acknowledged at the end of the season that his pass coverage still has room for improvement. Mosley was frequently close to making plays on the ball, but he allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete 91 of 108 passes thrown in his direction for 767 yards and four touchdowns, for a 100.9 quarterback rating.

"For a rookie, I think I did pretty well," Mosley said. "But I'm a rookie, so I've got a lot to work on and I can only go up from here. So I'm going to take my time off and get my body right for these first few weeks and then just get right back at it, so I can be a better player come next April.

"I think I had a pretty good season. I'm not the one to brag or talk about accomplishments. I just know I can get better. A lot of things I can work on, and it's my first year, so there's a lot to improve."

During his season-ending news conference, Ravens coach John Harbaugh praised Mosley for how he performed as a rookie for a franchise that has set a high standard for linebackers.

"C.J. Mosley is the next young, great linebacker if he chooses to do all the right things and if he gets a little good fortune," Harbaugh said. "He played this year at a high, high level, a Pro Bowl level. [Inside linebackers coach] Don Martindale deserves a lot of credit for that, as does Daryl Smith.

"C.J. deserves the most credit. He's a fine young man. He's a hard worker. He's very talented. He gets football."

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83203523/

pfelix73
04-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Have you ever played football?

Mr.wizard
04-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Have you ever played football?

Yes and coached, did you have a point or did you just want to know?

pfelix73
04-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Yes and coached, did you have a point or did you just want to know?

LOL, I just wanted to know...