PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network Steelers draft board...

legend of polamalu
03-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Tonight at 6pm. They will go into detail about our roster and draft needs and thoughts on who to pick in first few rounds of draft.
Anyone else watching?

Channel 212

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2015, 05:40 PM
thanks for the heads up...:Cheers

legend of polamalu
03-25-2015, 05:50 PM
thanks for the heads up...:Cheers

No problem...Honestly people on this board know more about our roster and draft board then a lot of experts. Some experts say our greatest need is to draft a Tackle, etc. But they (analysts on Network) do a decent job at looking at whats what.

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2015, 06:18 PM
No problem...Honestly people on this board think they know more about our roster and draft board then a lot of experts.

there, fixed that for you...:D

SteelCrazy
03-25-2015, 06:23 PM
there, fixed that for you...:D

I can't believe anyone on here would think they KNOW more about our needs then, I, the expert.

legend of polamalu
03-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Analysts had us taking K.Williams CB WF or Phillips DT Oklahoma (yea ok) . Then a LB round 2 from Utah Nate Orchard.

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Analysts had us taking K.Williams CB WF

you mean Kevin Johnson CB WF...

Rara
03-25-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm okay with Kevin Johnson but...I wonder who would have been available...would Peters and Collins been still available? I think Peters and Collins are both going to be better than Johnson, to be honest.

legend of polamalu
03-25-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm okay with Kevin Johnson but...I wonder who would have been available...would Peters and Collins been still available? I think Peters and Collins are both going to be better than Johnson, to be honest.

Actually Charlie ? had the obvious pick for us. It was Peters CB Washington.
Yes... sorry K. Johnson not Williams.

Rara
03-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters, Jalen Collins, PJ Williams then Kevin Johnson in that order for me..

legend of polamalu
03-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Question...how come all the sudden the first round is loaded with 4-6 CB when a few months ago everyone was saying 1-2 and a very weak class?
Makes me a little concerned about the talent level in round 1.

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2015, 12:33 AM
Question...how come all the sudden the first round is loaded with 4-6 CB when a few months ago everyone was saying 1-2 and a very weak class?
Makes me a little concerned about the talent level in round 1.

Nothing changed for me. Still a weak class of corners at the top, but decent day 2 depth there.

I'd sprint to the podium if Waynes were somehow available, but he'll be long gone.

Peters has 1st round talent, but I'm not using my top pick on a guy thrown off his college team. I'm just not.

The next tier (Johnson, Collins, Jones, Rollins, Carter, etc.) I'd take one at #56, but there should be a better BPA pick at #22 than the second tier corners.

Shawn
03-26-2015, 07:35 AM
I agree Ruthless, the value for DB is round 2 and 3. I could see the Steelers going this way...

1) Eli Harold-OLB
2) Quintin Rollins-DB
3) Doran Grant-DB

steelblood
03-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Nothing changed for me. Still a weak class of corners at the top, but decent day 2 depth there.

I'd sprint to the podium if Waynes were somehow available, but he'll be long gone.

Peters has 1st round talent, but I'm not using my top pick on a guy thrown off his college team. I'm just not.

The next tier (Johnson, Collins, Jones, Rollins, Carter, etc.) I'd take one at #56, but there should be a better BPA pick at #22 than the second tier corners.

Ruthless, I like your mock, but don't you think Landon Collins is too much if a SS for our first round pick? Shamarko is more SS, Mitchell is more SS (even if we tried him at FS), Troy (if he would agree to a pay cut) is a SS. Seems like taking another guy who is much better in the box would be a mistake.

the rest is solid. I like almost all of your options.

phillyesq
03-26-2015, 08:07 AM

Ruthless, I agree with you. Unfortunately, this seems to be a year where the value at CB doesn't meet the need. Fortunately, however, there seem to be a ton of pass rushers.

K Train
03-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters, Jalen Collins, PJ Williams then Kevin Johnson in that order for me..

Kevin Johnson is SO much better than PJ Williams.

Collins could be the best CB in the class but the sample size is so small, hes raw, and he just had foot surgery...he isnt a good candidate for immediate impact, but drafting just for immediate impact would be stupid.

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Ruthless, I like your mock, but don't you think Landon Collins is too much if a SS for our first round pick? Shamarko is more SS, Mitchell is more SS (even if we tried him at FS), Troy (if he would agree to a pay cut) is a SS. Seems like taking another guy who is much better in the box would be a mistake.

the rest is solid. I like almost all of your options.

When the Seahawks traded away their 31st overall pick in the package for Jimmy Graham, their GM came out and said that he only had something like 16 first round grades among the draft eligible prospects this year. That sounds about right. And Landon Collins would be one of those 16 or so players. If he's the best player available that falls to #22, then he's my guy, even if he's more of a SS than a FS. Remember, we successfully paired Ryan Clark with Troy Polamalu for many years, and Clark was really more of a SS type than a FS type, and he played fine with SS Polamalu. If the styles of Polamalu and Clark worked together, then the styles of Collins and Mitchell or Collins and Thomas could work together also. In today's NFL, there doesn't have to be a strong delineation between the duties of a SS and a FS. Both guys need to be able to perform the duties of both jobs interchangeably.

K Train
03-26-2015, 10:21 AM
I dont even think Landon Collins is the best safety in the draft. If someone held a gun to my head and said i needed to take a safety at 22 id probably take Damarious Randall. The value for safety just isnt there this year in the first round.

Collins is a devastating hitter and a sound tackler but we have plenty of guys that can play short/intermediate zones....we need a safety that can play high and man up on a WR from time to time

SteelerOfDeVille
03-26-2015, 02:25 PM
switch PJ with Kevin Johnson and that's my order... I think KJ is a good cover guy that is smallish and will need to add strength... if he can, he may well be #1 on this list when it's all said and done...

FWIW, my money is still on Jalen Collins - his familiarity with Ike and vice versa is probably a boost to his stock in their eyes.

K Train
03-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Kevin Johnson is thin, but I do not think hes a weak tackler at all.

Theres some out there that think Kevin Johnson could be the best CB in the draft, I dont necessarily agree with that dramatic of a statement but he offers some good scheme versatility. Johnson got his weight up from 175 to 188, thats perfect size for a corner that is 6-0 or 6-1. He is an outside guy that can play off or up tight, hips and footwork are top notch. Hes the outside CB you want matching up with AJ Green in the future.

Check out this site, they have some good video clips....watch some of those, he isnt afraid to mix it up.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/20...ospect-to-watch-kevin-johnson-cb-wake-forest/

Oviedo
03-26-2015, 03:34 PM
I still think we need two pass rushers out of our first four picks. Too many unknowns with Jones, Moats and Harrison's ability to continue to produce. If it me, I think if we would go DB I would pick Landon Collins over the Cornerbacks likely to be at #22. Collins is more of an impact player. IMO very similar to Troy P coming out of college...a guy who can do lots of things and I think he may be better in coverage that Troy ever was. I'm not sold on Shamarko...can't stay healthy.

Slapstick
03-26-2015, 03:42 PM
Kevin Johnson is thin, but I do not think hes a weak tackler at all.

Theres some out there that think Kevin Johnson could be the best CB in the draft, I dont necessarily agree with that dramatic of a statement but he offers some good scheme versatility. Johnson got his weight up from 175 to 188, thats perfect size for a corner that is 6-0 or 6-1. He is an outside guy that can play off or up tight, hips and footwork are top notch. Hes the outside CB you want matching up with AJ Green in the future.

Check out this site, they have some good video clips....watch some of those, he isnt afraid to mix it up.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/20...ospect-to-watch-kevin-johnson-cb-wake-forest/

All Johnson did in college was start games and play well. Some people think he's not a 1st round pick, but I am not one of this people. IMO, he could very well be BPA at #22...even if a guy like Dupree or Odighizuwa is still available...

K Train
03-26-2015, 03:46 PM
I still think we need two pass rushers out of our first four picks. Too many unknowns with Jones, Moats and Harrison's ability to continue to produce. If it me, I think if we would go DB I would pick Landon Collins over the Cornerbacks likely to be at #22. Collins is more of an impact player. IMO very similar to Troy P coming out of college...a guy who can do lots of things and I think he may be better in coverage that Troy ever was. I'm not sold on Shamarko...can't stay healthy.
Hes not a good coverage safety, and nothing about him and troy are similar. Landon Collins is much more similar to Bernard Pollard than he is Polamalu lol

Collins is build like a body builder, very beefed up for a safety. Hes a sound tackler and a can lay a crushing hit. He is not very good in coverage at all aside from short/intermediate zones....which Mitchell is fine at.

Safety is hands down the thinnest position in the league, outside of Earl Thomas and MAYBE Mccourtey there are no elite safeties...Byrd sucked last year and Eric Berry had Lymphoma. Collins profiles much more as a middle of the pack, run stuffing SS than he does an elite deep centerfield that can man up on WRs like the guys I mentioned before.

He does fine in zone, he is a smart player, and a good tackler. Can not be isolated on a TE or slot WR, gets burned in man coverage, and seriously lacks range (which is what the steelers DBs lack the most)

I am not sold on Shamarko either, but drafting another SS isnt the answer. Moving mitchell to SS and drafting a FS like Derron Smith or Damarious Randall would do much more for the defense.

The corners likely to be there at 22 are Peters and Johnson...both guys look like legit outside CBs with peters potentiall joe-haden like potential as a top tier man to man corner. Johnson is very sound with his feet and can stick on a WRs hip, but not at the level peters can. Jalen Collins isnt the immediate impact CB that steeler fans demand but he could end up being the best of the bunch...wouldnt even hesitate in taking one of them over Landon Collins if they were hell bent on DB in round one

Chucktownsteeler
03-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Rowe, 1st round.

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2015, 12:03 AM
Rowe, 1st round.

I like Rowe, but in the 2nd round would be way better...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/CB

Chucktownsteeler
03-27-2015, 07:34 PM
I like Rowe, but in the 2nd round would be way better...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/CB

I agree but read a blog (Dulac's I think) that said Rowe was our pick if he is there.

hawaiiansteel
03-27-2015, 09:02 PM
I agree but read a blog (Dulac's I think) that said Rowe was our pick if he is there.

yeah, i read that too but I think Dulac is wrong about Rowe being a first rounder...