PDA

View Full Version : Asinine Article on Timmons and the Cap

Discipline of Steel
03-22-2015, 09:19 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/3/21/8269163/steelers-ilb-lawrence-timmons-a-potential-cap-casualty-in-2016

Great players in their prime do not become cap casualties. Its players past their prime that do.
I guess there is nothing better to talk about than the 2016 salary cap anyway.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-22-2015, 10:56 AM
One of the problems with the internet is that anybody can become a reporter. People see an article and believe that it was written by a journalist, but in too many cases it was probably written by a fan who knows very little. This is such a case.

Shoe
03-22-2015, 12:23 PM
I'm trying to understand the article. I do see the point being made, that we have good depth at that position. Is he saying we would cut Timmons to save cap room? Doing that (cutting him), we still would be on the hook for a part of his salary wouldn't we? Second, why wouldn't we explore a trade (if we were looking for cap relief)?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-22-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm trying to understand the article. I do see the point being made, that we have good depth at that position. Is he saying we would cut Timmons to save cap room? Doing that (cutting him), we still would be on the hook for a part of his salary wouldn't we? Second, why wouldn't we explore a trade (if we were looking for cap relief)?

Whether you cut a player or trade him, it has the same effect on the cap. In this case, Timmons will be in the last year of his deal, so there is no difference between anything happening before or after June 1. In this case, either way you are on the hook for a cap hit of a little over $3M - his pro-rated SB. The variable is his salary of $8.75M. If cut/traded/retired then you save $8.75M in both real money and cap hit.

Oviedo
03-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Timmons is still delivering, Troy, Ike and others not so much. It is stupid for anyone to think your best defensive player will be a cap casualty. Especially at a highly suspect position like we have at Linebacker.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Lawrence Timmons willing to renegotiate deal to stay with Steelers

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Pro Bowl inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons wants to retire a Steeler, and he's willing to reopen his contract to make that happen.

Timmons, 29, is still playing at a high level, recording 132 tackles and two sacks last season in the Steelers' 'Buck' position, where he can rush the passer or play in a traditional linebacker space.

Lawrence Timmons recorded 132 tackles and two sacks last season for the Steelers. George Gojkovich/Getty Images
But his looming salary cap hits are enormous -- $12.6 million in 2015, $11.8 million in 2016 -- because of proration from his six-year, $50-million deal signed in 2011, according to ESPN's roster management system. Timmons is due $7.5 million in base salary this year.

Timmons told ESPN "of course" when asked if he'd be willing to work with the Steelers contractually because he loves being in Pittsburgh. Theoretically, that would come in two forms: a restructure or an extension.

"I've been here for nine years, I've got a house here, I'd like to keep that house," said Timmons, 29. "I've got a family here that loves it."

Timmons said he hasn't heard of any renegotiations, but to stay in Pittsburgh long-term, he must "keep doing what I do out here [on the field] and make that possible."

New defensive coordinator Keith Butler challenges Timmons every week, the player said, whether that's handling the best tight end in pass coverage, taking ownership in run defense or rushing the passer.

Timmons was the 15th overall pick in 2007, the first selection of the Mike Tomlin era.

"Week in and week out, you have to come with it," Timmons said. "This game is unforgiving. I love the competition. I feel I'm a great competitor."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13012184/pro-bowl-lb-lawrence-timmons-willing-renegotiate-deal-stay-pittsburgh-steelers

Chucktownsteeler
06-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Well if Timmons read the article it may have prompted the second article. I don't think Timmons is going anywhere soon.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-07-2015, 10:15 AM
This has already been a very interesting off-season that may forever change football. I am talking about the early retirement. Maybe Ricky Williams was ahead of his time, but this year we have Worilds, Willis, Borland, and now Anthony Davis.

Perhaps this year can also be the dawn of an age where players play for a team that they know will make them happy. Look at how many players jump ship for the money, only to watch their careers fail, after leaving a happy situation. Timmons will have banked over $50M by the time this contract is done. As a player, would you rather play in a city that you already know you love, on a team that you are familiar with, and already know you love? Or would you tather go to the place that you have no idea about for a few more bucks? I you knew that you could earn $80M over the course of your career, and be happy, or you could earn $90M but not know if you will be, what would you do? Who knows, if you are happy, you might play for an extra couple of years and earn that extra 10 mil.

Chucktownsteeler
06-07-2015, 11:37 AM
This has already been a very interesting off-season that may forever change football. I am talking about the early retirement. Maybe Ricky Williams was ahead of his time, but this year we have Worilds, Willis, Borland, and now Anthony Davis.

Perhaps this year can also be the dawn of an age where players play for a team that they know will make them happy. Look at how many players jump ship for the money, only to watch their careers fail, after leaving a happy situation. Timmons will have banked over $50M by the time this contract is done. As a player, would you rather play in a city that you already know you love, on a team that you are familiar with, and already know you love? Or would you tather go to the place that you have no idea about for a few more bucks? I you knew that you could earn $80M over the course of your career, and be happy, or you could earn $90M but not know if you will be, what would you do? Who knows, if you are happy, you might play for an extra couple of years and earn that extra 10 mil.

Very good points.

SidSmythe
06-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Anyone who's followed the Steelers over the years have watched these types of players get extensions and give the Steelers cap room