PDA

View Full Version : Competition Committee announces 2015 rule proposals

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Competition Committee announces 2015 rule proposals

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

The NFL has announced that the following rule changes, bylaw changes and resolution changes will be discussed by the Competition Committee and considered by the owners at next week’s league meetings:

Rule changes

— Allow any call to be challenged.

— Allow penalties to be challenged.

— Allow coaches to challenge personal fouls.

— Allow personal fouls to be reviewed, but not necessarily on coaches’ challenges.

— Make all fouls that result in automatic first downs reviewable.

— Allow replay review of rulings related to hits on defenseless receivers.

— Review every foul for hits on defenseless players.

— Increase the number of coaches’ challenges from two to three.

— Add the game clock at the end of the half and end of the game to the list of things that can be reviewed on replay.

— Add the play clock to the list of things that can be reviewed on replay.

— Put fixed cameras on all boundaries of the playing field, sidelines, goal line.

— Allow a “bonus try” after a two-point conversion.

— Do not allow players to push rushers when a team is punting. (This is already the rule on field goals and extra points.)

— Guarantee both teams a possession in overtime.

— Ban peelback blocks by any offensive player.

— Give defensive players “defenseless receiver” protection on interceptions.

— If there’s a dead ball foul, unsportsmanlike conduct or taunting at the end of the first half, it will carry over to the second half.

— Ban running backs from chop blocking outside the tackle box.

— Allow linebackers to wear jersey numbers 40-49 in addition to 50-59 and 90-99.

— If an eligible player reports as an ineligible receiver to the referee, he must align within the tackle box.

Bylaw proposals

— Eliminate the 75-player cutdown.

— Expand rules to allow teams more contact with draft eligible players.

— Permit teams that play on Thursday to designate one player eligible to return to the active list from injured reserve.

— Permit players on Physically Unable to Perform to begin practicing earlier.

Resolution

— Allow teams with retractable roofs to open their roofs during halftime shows.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/competition-committee-announces-2015-rule-proposals/

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2015, 03:39 PM
This has to be the weirdest of the bunch:

Colts propose allowing teams to “go for three” after TDs

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT

If the NFL adopts an odd rule proposal from the Colts, a nine-point game will be a one-possession game.

The Colts will propose a new rule at next week’s league meeting that would allow teams to try for a “bonus point” after a successful two-point conversion. So if a team lines up for a two-point conversion attempt and succeeds, that team would then line up at the 32-yard line and try a 50-yard field goal. If the kick is good, the team would get one point, for a total of nine points on the possession: six on the touchdown, two on the conversion and one on the bonus kick.

The proposal is, for now, just to try the rule during the preseason. If it’s successful in the preseason, in the future it could be considered in the regular season. It’s not unusual for the league to try out new rules in the preseason; last year the league experimented with making extra points harder in preseason games.

It’s a strange rule, and according to Competition Committee co-chair Jeff Fisher, it’s the first time in many years that a significant change in scoring has been proposed. It seems awfully unlikely that the proposal will pass.

But if it does pass, we’ll have to stop saying teams are “going for two” and start saying teams are “going for three.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/colts-propose-allowing-teams-to-go-for-three-after-tds/

Djfan
03-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Sometimes I just want the rules committee to propose that the rules are all rolled back to 1973 rules only. It's being over thought.

Rara
03-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Not digging the idea of a "retry" on the two point conversion if you miss it the first time. You go for it and if you don't get it..you don't get it.

Discipline of Steel
03-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Competition Committee announces 2015 rule proposals

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

The NFL has announced that the following rule changes, bylaw changes and resolution changes will be discussed by the Competition Committee and considered by the owners at next week’s league meetings:

Rule changes

— Allow any call to be challenged.

— Allow penalties to be challenged.

— Allow coaches to challenge personal fouls.

— Allow personal fouls to be reviewed, but not necessarily on coaches’ challenges.

— Make all fouls that result in automatic first downs reviewable.

— Allow replay review of rulings related to hits on defenseless receivers.

— Review every foul for hits on defenseless players.

— Increase the number of coaches’ challenges from two to three.

— Add the game clock at the end of the half and end of the game to the list of things that can be reviewed on replay.

— Add the play clock to the list of things that can be reviewed on replay.

— Put fixed cameras on all boundaries of the playing field, sidelines, goal line.

— Allow a “bonus try” after a two-point conversion.

— Do not allow players to push rushers when a team is punting. (This is already the rule on field goals and extra points.)

— Guarantee both teams a possession in overtime.

— Ban peelback blocks by any offensive player.

— Give defensive players “defenseless receiver” protection on interceptions.

— If there’s a dead ball foul, unsportsmanlike conduct or taunting at the end of the first half, it will carry over to the second half.

— Ban running backs from chop blocking outside the tackle box.

— Allow linebackers to wear jersey numbers 40-49 in addition to 50-59 and 90-99.

— If an eligible player reports as an ineligible receiver to the referee, he must align within the tackle box.

- Make the quarterbacks wear tutus in order to be easily identified by referees for late hit penalties and similar offenses.

Bylaw proposals

— Eliminate the 75-player cutdown.

— Expand rules to allow teams more contact with draft eligible players.

— Permit teams that play on Thursday to designate one player eligible to return to the active list from injured reserve.

— Permit players on Physically Unable to Perform to begin practicing earlier.

Resolution

— Allow teams with retractable roofs to open their roofs during halftime shows.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/competition-committee-announces-2015-rule-proposals/

Dont tell me Jack Lambert is on the committee?!?
No really, i like the idea of reviewing personal foul calls etc although Im not sure its going to change anything.

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2015, 09:04 PM
This has to be the weirdest of the bunch:

Colts propose allowing teams to “go for three” after TDs

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT

If the NFL adopts an odd rule proposal from the Colts, a nine-point game will be a one-possession game.

The Colts will propose a new rule at next week’s league meeting that would allow teams to try for a “bonus point” after a successful two-point conversion. So if a team lines up for a two-point conversion attempt and succeeds, that team would then line up at the 32-yard line and try a 50-yard field goal. If the kick is good, the team would get one point, for a total of nine points on the possession: six on the touchdown, two on the conversion and one on the bonus kick.

The proposal is, for now, just to try the rule during the preseason. If it’s successful in the preseason, in the future it could be considered in the regular season. It’s not unusual for the league to try out new rules in the preseason; last year the league experimented with making extra points harder in preseason games.

It’s a strange rule, and according to Competition Committee co-chair Jeff Fisher, it’s the first time in many years that a significant change in scoring has been proposed. It seems awfully unlikely that the proposal will pass.

But if it does pass, we’ll have to stop saying teams are “going for two” and start saying teams are “going for three.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/colts-propose-allowing-teams-to-go-for-three-after-tds/

Can't see the preseason being enough of a sample size to test this. Not enough opportunities to try it out.

fordfixer
03-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Sometimes I just want the rules committee to propose that the rules are all rolled back to 1973 rules only. It's being over thought.

Well done I agree

fordfixer
03-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Well done I agree

Chadman
03-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Clearly we don't see enough penalties in the game, we need more stoppages....more reviews...lets take a 60 minute game & turn not into a 3 hour game, but a 4 hour game...think of the ratings...

BradshawsHairdresser
03-18-2015, 11:44 PM
Clearly we don't see enough penalties in the game, we need more stoppages....more reviews...lets take a 60 minute game & turn not into a 3 hour game, but a 4 hour game...think of the ratings...

Think of how many more commercial spots can be sold--$$$$$$$$$$$.

Chadman
03-19-2015, 12:25 AM
What I find funny is that they are creating rules to deal with other new rules...challenges to reviews...challenges to defensive pass interference...etc...instead of just going back to the original rule, and simply reviewing it & making it a better rule.

If the defensive pass interference rule is broken, you don't give the coaches more opportunity to challenge it- you change the broken rule.

It's like putting a tax on an existing tax & calling it a 'new' tax. No it's not, it's double handling.

The NFL needs less rules, more clearly defined & easier to understand. Not several extra varying shades of grey.

And no- that wasn't a BDSM reference, although Rex Ryan might be into that...

buccoray61
03-19-2015, 03:03 AM
When trying this 50 yard extra point,the kicker should have to spin around in a circle 5 times,chug a beer,then attempt the kick.

The Man of Steel
03-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Get rid of Thursday night games for one thing and also that annoying ineligible receiver downfield penalty.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-19-2015, 08:39 AM
What I find funny is that they are creating rules to deal with other new rules...challenges to reviews...challenges to defensive pass interference...etc...instead of just going back to the original rule, and simply reviewing it & making it a better rule.

If the defensive pass interference rule is broken, you don't give the coaches more opportunity to challenge it- you change the broken rule.

It's like putting a tax on an existing tax & calling it a 'new' tax. No it's not, it's double handling.

The NFL needs less rules, more clearly defined & easier to understand. Not several extra varying shades of grey.

Well said, but I don't think there's a snowball's chance of this happening in the brave new Goodell-led, lawyer-driven, pussified NFL.

Notleadpoisoned
03-19-2015, 08:43 AM
I'd like to see most penalties eliminated and instead make the NFL more like the backyard pickup football that we played as kids. Offsides? Just reset the play. Holding and pass interference should be totally legal as well as tripping, late hits, and clipping. The game would be much more fun to watch with just minimal rules.

papillon
03-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Personally, here's the way to go with the rules:

1) There should be a review after every play, because they need to make sure every call is right, oh the horror of getting a call wrong. This would eliminate coaches challenges since some coaches are better than others at using their challenges, it will make the playing field level for everyone.
2) They should also assign an individual to every game that can hand out fines on the spot for personal fouls. If a player knows he's already been fined he'll be less likely to hit hard the next time (imagine the revenue).
3) Well, now that we're proposing a three point play and a redo if you fail on a 2-point conversion, I think each NFL player should get a participation trophy at the end of the year, so that they all feel good about themselves and Tom Brady won't be hogging all the spotlight winning those pesky Super Bowls.

I think that about covers it for now. After a little more thought m sure I can fid a few other rules that will help keep things fair.

Pappy

feltdizz
03-19-2015, 12:40 PM
I'd like to see most penalties eliminated and instead make the NFL more like the backyard pickup football that we played as kids. Offsides? Just reset the play. Holding and pass interference should be totally legal as well as tripping, late hits, and clipping. The game would be much more fun to watch with just minimal rules.

you know what? i don't think anyone ever called PI in backyard ball. I don't even think we reset the play even when it was obvious but maybe we did and I'm too old to remember.

Notleadpoisoned
03-19-2015, 01:39 PM
you know what? i don't think anyone ever called PI in backyard ball. I don't even think we reset the play even when it was obvious but maybe we did and I'm too old to remember.

We never called any penalties at all in backyard football or even in pickup basketball games for that matter. There was no need for them and there still isn't, even in the NFL.

feltdizz
03-19-2015, 02:58 PM
We never called any penalties at all in backyard football or even in pickup basketball games for that matter. There was no need for them and there still isn't, even in the NFL.

hold up now... we called fouls in basketball.

I mean, that's just criminal. Can't "hack a Shaq" all day and get better as a basketball player.

Discipline of Steel
03-19-2015, 03:10 PM
hold up now... we called fouls in basketball.

I mean, that's just criminal. Can't "hack a Shaq" all day and get better as a basketball player.

Then there was always the kid who called way more fouls than everyone else combined....remember him?

I think his name was Goodell...

Sugar
03-19-2015, 09:53 PM
I would like to see a 15 game season. Each team gets 7 games at home and 7 on the road with the outstanding game being in a non-NFL city. That way the league could have games in London, Mexico City, Tokyo, San Antonio or wherever without any team having to sacrifice a home game. Additionally, this means that there would be no 8-8 teams. You would either have a winning season or a losing one (aside from the unlikely event of a tie). Because of one less actual game, there would be more hitting allowed in practices.

It'll never happen, but that's what I'd like to see.